Power Outage

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Hey there CorpPunk..glad your alive and well and on the net!!!

Mailing that boot I owe you tomorrow! ;)

Planet
Justj0hn
Amphetamine Filth

I bloody well hope every single corner of NY now has power. I'm supposed to hit the club circuit this evening!

j0hn.......
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Justj0hn wrote:I bloody well hope every single corner of NY now has power. I'm supposed to hit the club circuit this evening!

j0hn.......
:roll: :P ;D :von:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

It's hardly bloody headline news though is it? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Only a paand.
elguiri
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

If American don't have electricity, how will they open tin cans to eat? How will they shave? Open the curtains? Wash? Goodness, this could be a tragedy. They could all end up being pasty, scruffy, and smelly, just like us Brits. Surely this could all be cleared up by someone with his pants on outside of his trousers?
oy , you being sarcaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaastic towards our yankee cousins..................... :innocent:

as if................................ :innocent:
Last edited by elguiri on 15 Aug 2003, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
"Very Elderly Bastard Groovy"
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

It is if you wanna plug in and make a lot of noise and the 'leccy goes off!

:)

Paddy.
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Hmmm, for Black Planet's sake, I should state that I have had a number of American friends, very nice people. Nothing personal. And yes, a heavy, heavy dose of British humour in there (I even managed to call the Brits dirty, smelly and pasty, for those who missed it). Maybe Americans are cursed with a terrible media, but some of the news stories you hear, you just want to go and hit someone with a spanner...It wouldn't matter if these stories came from Bolivia (sorry, any Bolivians listening), but America IS running the planet to all intents and purposes...
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

What's a spanner? :|
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

SINsister wrote:What's a spanner? :|
its a bit like a wrench, but british ;) :D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Ahhhh...it all makes sense, now. :wink:
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

MrChris wrote:Hmmm, for Black Planet's sake, I should state that I have had a number of American friends, very nice people. Nothing personal. And yes, a heavy, heavy dose of British humour in there (I even managed to call the Brits dirty, smelly and pasty, for those who missed it). Maybe Americans are cursed with a terrible media, but some of the news stories you hear, you just want to go and hit someone with a spanner...It wouldn't matter if these stories came from Bolivia (sorry, any Bolivians listening), but America IS running the planet to all intents and purposes...
@ Mr. Chris :
LOL America is running the Planet? sorry couldn't resist.

@ All:

Look if all of Britian suddenly had its power supply go down..now wouldn't you want people to be concerned? This not only happend to us here, it affected several large Canadian cities, Toronto and Ottawa as well. I have Canadian friends on other boards that are just as affected by this!

Lots of ppls lives have been disrupted...some of them come to this board!!!

Jeez instead of blasting that you despise, try having some compassion for ppl who are hot and bothered. All I wanted was to offer some sympathy and concern for ppl that come here.

Mr. Chris your boots in the mail tomorrow. Remember I did that out the goodness of my heart and at my own expense because you asked for some boots. You will Get what ever else I owe you when I recieve it.

and last Sorry...I am pretty damn tired of the American bashing coming out of UK and the continent...for gods sake we saved all of you in WWII. Or have you forgotten that Americans died for that?

Planet

I think that, for the sake of international relations, everyone should redirect the energy they've been using to dump on Americans, and instead use it to feel really, really sorry for me. Come on guys...I'm sitting here in someone else's underwear watching Murder She Wrote. Help me.

Anyway, I was working in London during a tube strike in 2001 and that was far more chaotic than New York was yesterday, and the Brits could at least see where they were going! :roll:

Now...stop bickering. :wink:
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

<in a Basil Fawlty type voice> Dont mention the War!!!!!!! :lol:
Only a paand.
Debaser
Overbomber

Black Planet wrote:
for gods sake we saved all of you in WWII.

Planet
BUGGER! I'd forgotton that. :roll:

Lucky for us that you lot ignored the messages warning of Japanese aircraft assembling hours before Pearl harbour otherwise I think we can safely say we'd STILL be waiting for you to 'save' us. :wink:

No one was bashing anyone, just friendly ribbaldry coz we luv ya. Oi who knocked my bowler hat off??
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
pikkrong
Overbomber

Black Planet wrote:
for gods sake we saved all of you in WWII.
not all of us.
relax, mates, i'm not going to expound again the horrors taken place in this edge of Europe after WW II.
but still - briefly - can't thank world powers for confirming Soviet occupation here.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Haha, this is getting quite funny on the one hand, and quite heated on the other. At least I know which side I'm on...
Chris

MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Let's reiterate that this is not personal in any way, right? We all know Americans, like them, and so on. But some of us a) find it hard to work our sympathy glands TOO hard when the nation which uses 25% of the world's energy despite having 4% of its population finds that some of it ran out for a couple of days, and b) find it hard to work up the incredible gratitude some Americans expect for their very hard work 'promoting' international peace, justice and democracy.

I don't want to do the WWII debate again, someone else have a go if they feel like it. Moral of the story = we all have something (musical) in common, the great majority of us are very nice people, we can all share things, trade, advise, donate, chat, even become friends, but sharing the same view of the world and how it works is OPTIONAL.
Chris

pikkrong
Overbomber

I have never wanted to insult anybody because she/he is a citizen of one or another country.
Hope, very soon all bad results of this disarrangement of electricity will fixed in your country.
Don't see a reason to fight.

Two days later, I'm home.

Hmmmm...a lot of people seem to think that being without electricity in this day and age, when all industrialized countries--not just the US--are so dependent on it, would be a mere inconvenience. They seem to disdain New Yorkers for complaining just because their air conditioners weren't working for a few hours.

Well, the situation was slightly more serious than that. Take, for instance, my friend's 80-year old grandmother who was without electricity and water for twenty-five hours, and who's family couldn't reach her because there was no public transport running and the streets were clogged with stand-still traffic. Take the thousands of people who were trapped in elevators and subways for up to six hours, in temperatures topping 120 degrees, and who then inundated hospitals that were understaffed because of transport problems, and that were running only on draining generator power. Take the millions of people who couldn't call for help or locate their families, because cell phone lines were overcrowded and landlines were down. Take the fact that cold ice cream couldn't be had for love or money, and that I couldn't enjoy one night of looting and mayhem because I was expected to be a "responsible" American. :cry:

And remember, it wasn't just the US that lost power--but I don't see anyone ragging on Canada for b*tching, do I? And yeah, I was just as pissed off that people were whinging about not having air-conditioning in the 95-degree heat, because I myself don't have it and never have had it, so what's the big deal? Get a fan! Oh, wait...no power. Duh.

Yes, much of the world operates with little or no electric power, but that means they aren't dependent on it for the daily progression of their lives. I can't say--and won't hazard an opinion of--whether that's good or bad, whether it's right or wrong. But I think we all know the same damn thing would happen in the event of a power outage in London, Paris, or even Beijing. But they would at least get to loot cos the world wouldn't be watching them via TV. And now I'm going to have to buy a new pair of trainers. It's the missed opportunities I mourn the most.

Me? I'm just glad it's not Buffalo's fault. That poor, dying city gets enough flak as it is. As much as I hate it. Scumbags.

Here endeth the sermon. So chill the f**k out already will ya? :roll: :wink:
Last edited by Guest on 17 Aug 2003, 04:34, edited 2 times in total.

Oh, and p.s. I love you all, no matter where you come from! :kiss: :P

Political debate=yum!

Oh my god--this power outage has turned me into a hippy. :eek:

Must...resist...tie dye...and daisies...:urff:
Carrie
Amphetamine Filth

Yes indeed Corp...I'm no fan of the current US regime, but that is certainly no reason to gloat over people being stranded or distressed while going about their daily business...or especially being left in limbo like your grandmother...hope she's OK!

The WW2 comment strikes me as both puerile & irrelevant, to be honest. Sorry Val/Black Planet. No doubt we could get a thoroughly interesting argument going if we both got behind it & pushed, but as far as I'm concerned there is a BIG difference between thinking 'bloody hell, poor sods - glad I'm not currently stuck in town in a heatwave with no means of getting home' & using it as an excuse for ill-informed Jingoism...
Queen of the mean!

Master Margarita wrote:As is the Kiehl's store on third ave. Next time you are there, ask to talk to Lavender. She won't let you leave without a good selection of samples. And, in any event, don't leave without a tube of kiehl's lip balm spf 15 or ultra facial moisturizer.
You scare me. Does she really give out lots of samples? I love free stuff.
pikkrong
Overbomber

CorpPunk wrote:
Well, the situation was slightly more serious than that. Take, for instance, my friend's 80-year old grandmother who was without electricity and water for twenty-five hours, and who's family couldn't reach her because there was no public transport running and the streets were clogged with stand-still traffic. Take the thousands of people who were trapped in elevators and subways for up to six hours, in temperatures topping 120 degrees, and who then inundated hospitals that were understaffed because of transport problems, and that were running only on draining generator power. Take the millions of people who couldn't call for help or locate their families, because cell phone lines were overcrowded and landlines were down.
when i heard about the outage, firstly i thought about people who could be in elevators or in hospitals and whos lives depend on several apparatuses.
and there's nothing funny.
Debaser
Overbomber

CorpPunk wrote: And remember, it wasn't just the US that lost power--but I don't see anyone ragging on Canada for b*tching, do I?

:
Aren't Canada and America the same place? :innocent:

*ahem* I'm not helping really am i?
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Debaser wrote:
CorpPunk wrote: And remember, it wasn't just the US that lost power--but I don't see anyone ragging on Canada for b*tching, do I?

:
Aren't Canada and America the same place? :innocent:

*ahem* I'm not helping really am i?
i thought canada was in france?

:D :D :D :innocent:

@ ness: no you're not ;) :twisted:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?