goth at the bbc

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Pista
Cureboi

markfiend wrote:Now of course we couldn't sanction sharing of illegally downloaded and copyrighted material. (636 MB)
I see what you did there
:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I have no idea whether get_iplayer can be made to work on non-Linux platforms, but it's fecking amazing.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
czuczu
Overbomber

I've got it running on Win 7 and its a thing of great wonder 8)
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Was reading some reaction to GatBBC elsewhere and someone told a story about when they worked in a record store and someone came in and asked if they had a song by Bauhaus called "Bella The Goose is Dead" :lol:
iesus
Overbomber

Another proof that using hyper titles with the lyrics in a live is a good move :lol:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Pista
Cureboi

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:Was reading some reaction to GatBBC elsewhere and someone told a story about when they worked in a record store and someone came in and asked if they had a song by Bauhaus called "Bella The Goose is Dead" :lol:
:lol: :notworthy: :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yeah so I finally got round to watching it and I agree with the general "could do better" sentiment. Having said that, the only song I actually fast-forwarded through was Shakespeare's Sister. I always thought that they just latched onto the early-90's goth "look" purely for marketing purposes, and it always proper pïssed me off.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Yeah so I finally got round to watching it and I agree with the general "could do better" sentiment. Having said that, the only song I actually fast-forwarded through was Shakespeare's Sister. I always thought that they just latched onto the early-90's goth "look" purely for marketing purposes, and it always proper pïssed me off.
...And they were s**t.
Four strings good, six strings bad
VonII
Amphetamine Filth

Got the get_iplayer installed and everything, but in the end it couldn't download due to me being on the other side of the channel and all the financial/political ramifications that come with it, apparently. Did get it to work with the Hola extension for Chrome though. :)

That Specimen song is dreadful. :lol: Leather anorak, do you feel dark? Easing the gentleman out of the skin and other such quotes. :P
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:Was reading some reaction to GatBBC elsewhere and someone told a story about when they worked in a record store and someone came in and asked if they had a song by Bauhaus called "Bella The Goose is Dead" :lol:
:lol: :lol:
I do not necessarily agree with everything I think. -AE
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

VonII wrote:in the end it couldn't download
Did you notice my post on the previous page, quoted on the top of this one? :innocent:
—Bertrand Russell
Thoth_Hermes
Road Kill

Yep, watched this. Basically just TOTP 2 goth(ish) stylee.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

VonII wrote: That Specimen song is dreadful. :
And that's one of their better ones. That whole Batcave scene was the start of the style over substance aspect of goth that lead on that whole Steampunk thing that dominates the likes of WGW these days, and was an attempt by Southerners to hijack the decidedly Northern post-punk movement, rabidly encouraged by lazy Southern hacks who couldn't be arsed to go up to Leeds just to get sneered at over a pair of shades. Having said that, I must confess to having bought Specimen's first single...on bat-shaped vinyl. :oops: How goth was I ?? :oops:
mh
Above the Chemist

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:
VonII wrote: That Specimen song is dreadful. :
And that's one of their better ones. That whole Batcave scene was the start of the style over substance aspect of goth that lead on that whole Steampunk thing that dominates the likes of WGW these days, and was an attempt by Southerners to hijack the decidedly Northern post-punk movement, rabidly encouraged by lazy Southern hacks who couldn't be arsed to go up to Leeds just to get sneered at over a pair of shades. Having said that, I must confess to having bought Specimen's first single...on bat-shaped vinyl. :oops: How goth was I ?? :oops:
I thought Hex was OK; it had some appealing glam/thrash moves and didn't go on for about 40,000 bloody years. Everything else I've heard by them was a heap of steaming doo.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
VonII
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:
VonII wrote:in the end it couldn't download
Did you notice my post on the previous page, quoted on the top of this one? :innocent:
Yes, but I figured I wouldn't feel confident as an IT guy if I couldn't manage to make it work myself :oops: :lol:
I do not necessarily agree with everything I think. -AE
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

No, you're missing something :innocent:
—Bertrand Russell
AlixJH
Road Kill

markfiend wrote:No, you're missing something :innocent:
:notworthy:
:: You can't handle the truth ::
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Interesting new book about all things goth just out ...
http://louderthanwar.com/great-looking- ... ha-scharf/
Jon Klein (ex Specimen/Banshees) turned up at the launch. There's a book signing in Leeds later this month. Makes a change from Mick Bloody Mercer anyway.
Phil
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:Yeah so I finally got round to watching it and I agree with the general "could do better" sentiment. Having said that, the only song I actually fast-forwarded through was Shakespeare's Sister. I always thought that they just latched onto the early-90's goth "look" purely for marketing purposes, and it always proper pïssed me off.
Things like that and Depeche Mode make me wonder if they scoured the archives with the Mute button on.
Anger Is An Energy
Phil
Amphetamine Filth

When I was watching KJ in particular is struck me what a daft thing it is when these bands mime on the telly, not just TOTP. It is literally what we all did as kids in out bedrooms with tennis rackets or whatever.

It was nice to see a Paul Raven on TOTP who wasnt a perv, too.
Anger Is An Energy
rien
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Phil wrote:When I was watching KJ in particular is struck me what a daft thing it is when these bands mime on the telly, not just TOTP.
This is what has boggled my mind most whenever I delve into a band's history on YT. Do they still do the miming thing? How did people ever think that was a good idea? It's ridiculous. Didn't they trust any of these bands to b able to play?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The thing with Top of the Pops is that they would have 5 or 6 bands/groups/singers on each week, on (I think) just two stages, so while one act was one stage, the previous act was clearing off and then the next act setting up on the other. There simply wasn't time for them to actually set up real equipment so they almost all mimed.

Towards the end of the run they experimented with the vocalist singing over a backing track, but that left in the possibility for "unscripted" moments like Kurt Cobain's... erm... idiosyncratic performance of Smells Like Teen Spirit.

You have to remember that the vast majority of the acts featured on ToTP were teeny-bop chart fodder, and were probably happier to mime than to perform live. And I think there was also the aspect that some bands couldn't necessarily be trusted not to drop F-bombs or (I'm thinking of Shaun Ryder here) even to remember the words.
—Bertrand Russell
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

markfiend wrote:The thing with Top of the Pops is that they would have 5 or 6 bands/groups/singers on each week, on (I think) just two stages, so while one act was one stage, the previous act was clearing off and then the next act setting up on the other. There simply wasn't time for them to actually set up real equipment so they almost all mimed.

Towards the end of the run they experimented with the vocalist singing over a backing track, but that left in the possibility for "unscripted" moments like Kurt Cobain's... erm... idiosyncratic performance of Smells Like Teen Spirit.

You have to remember that the vast majority of the acts featured on ToTP were teeny-bop chart fodder, and were probably happier to mime than to perform live. And I think there was also the aspect that some bands couldn't necessarily be trusted not to drop F-bombs or (I'm thinking of Shaun Ryder here) even to remember the words.
also the small matter of the musicians union stopping live backing and enforcing prerecorded tracks.

i read somewhere quite recently that blue monday wasn't bad because of the band's inability to play but because the totps guys didn't know how to deal with live music

anyway, i liked goth bbc... it was a wee bit of fun
Goths have feelings too
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Oh yeah I had forgotten the musician's union aspect.

I loved the bit in Blue Monday when Barney noticeably gets the giggles ;D

Possibly the best TOTP moment is them putting up a picture of darts legend Jocky Wilson as the backdrop for Dexys' "Jackie Wilson Says", apparently a piece of sweet revenge for Kevin Rowland being an absolute see-you-next-Tuesday.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

oooh. I remember that.
But one of my faves was The Stranglers breaking a stage & generally taking the p!ss when they did No More Heroes.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Phil
Amphetamine Filth

Just to add to the general air of what-the-f**k Im sure the artists had the option at least of recording their track downstairs for that recording to be used as the mime-track. I think I read an interview with Roger Taylor from out of that Queen where he questioned the wisdom of it as the time it took to do it was a ball-ache. Or something.
Anger Is An Energy