Windows 10

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Pat
Slight Overbomber

*Bump*

Anyone yet, first downloads started a couple of days ago. Looks like all future upgrades will be free.

edit-
you can force the download from here
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software ... /windows10
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

My icon has disappered now :?
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

ribbons69 wrote:My icon has disappered now :?
Hey, so has mine!

Probably still obtainable with a Google though.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

stufarq wrote:
Hey, so has mine!

Back again now.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Pat
Slight Overbomber

First up , Ive lost my screen calibration and there's an annoying white background bar along the top of the screen in open programs where it used to be a calming blue, hopefully there will be settings somewhere to alter.

All my paid for programs work ,so a good start.

It feels like I'm using a Mac now although I don't have that "I'm a smug git" attitude that all Mac users have, maybe that'll come later. :wink: :lol:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

ribbons69 wrote:
stufarq wrote:
Hey, so has mine!

Back again now.
Mine too. Maybe they were just messing with us.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Pat wrote:It feels like I'm using a Mac now although I don't have that "I'm a smug git" attitude that all Mac users have, maybe that'll come later. :wink: :lol:
:lol:
million voices
Slight Overbomber

As I was reading this thread my icon came back - spooky or what?
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

million voices wrote:As I was reading this thread my icon came back - spooky or what?
They know! :eek:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I've heard that Winderz 10 sends a lot of data back to Microsoft. You might want to look into disabling that.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pat
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:I've heard that Winderz 10 sends a lot of data back to Microsoft. You might want to look into disabling that.

Yep, lots and disabling it is quite involved. 10+ tabs to go through and some of them send you to websites with more options. You also have to disable some of the features that are the selling point of 10, like Cortina.

I've been using it quite a bit now and it's meh! I can't really see the point in upgrading from 7 once you've disabled all the features that send data to Microsoft ( you also seem to lose the performance benefit). It is a step up from 8 and my daughter loves it.

Luckly there's a revert to Win7 button that stays active for a month, I'll live with it a while before I make a decision.

Never going to get that Mac feeling.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

It doesn't bother me because I'm a Linux geek. I've not used windows for years! I just thought I'd alert people.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

I just read that Bit Torrent trackers are considering banning Windows 10 users because of the privacy issues.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Looks that I finally have to switch to Linux. Not because I'm using torrents or other naughty activivties, just because I like to think that I care about my privacy.
My 6 years old laptop will breathe much easier.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Pista wrote:I just read that Bit Torrent trackers are considering banning Windows 10 users because of the privacy issues.
Wow.

Bittorrent is in no way a secure or privacy-enhanced network protocol anyway...
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

markfiend wrote:
Pista wrote:I just read that Bit Torrent trackers are considering banning Windows 10 users because of the privacy issues.
Wow.

Bittorrent is in no way a secure or privacy-enhanced network protocol anyway...
Not even if you use encryption to keep your IP hidden?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Actually scrub that. It looks like I don't know what I'm talking about ;D
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

markfiend wrote:Actually scrub that. It looks like I don't know what I'm talking about ;D
No, seriously. It must be completely possible to track where exactly data is coming from & going to from the torrent information.
I just thought that encrypting IPs was just to make it harder for an ISP to zone in on torrents :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

On the one hand, I have read that some bittorrent clients encode your IP address in the packet headers, rendering IP encryption entirely pointless. It was largely an aside in an argument over the pros-and-cons of running torrents through TOR (short version---don't) but most of the information I've found seems to be several years old.

On the other hand, I've never had any problems with torrents, I don't know if it's that my ISP doesn't care, or if it's that the majority of the torrents I run are totally legit (linux distros etc.) or only slightly dodgy (live recordings etc.) rather than outright thieving (copyrighted films, etc.).

On the gripping hand, AFAIK there's no way for the ISP to know which torrents are which without joining the swarm themselves, or some seriously deep packet inspection. And with encryption they shouldn't be able to do the latter. YMMV
—Bertrand Russell
Phil
Amphetamine Filth

I've gone back to W8.1. Reason being W10 is s**t, irrespective of the privacy issues which I don't think anyone can properly eradicate in this day and age.

If you've been affected by some of the issues with W10 and want to talk about it phone Childline or some such. Alternatively, you have exactly one month from installation to remove it before it becomes permanent. And incidentally since I went back to W8 the icon has reappeared along with several messages telling me I can come back to W10 whenever I want.

Free stuff. If it seems too good to be true it probably is.
Anger Is An Energy