the new m*****n single

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
iesus
Overbomber

Pista wrote:It was only a matter of time.

:innocent:
This will go to my mp3 directly :lol:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Durly
Road Kill

I like The Mish (especially the first two albums) although I haven't actually bought any of their records since Carved In Sand (I think). The new album has had a few good reviews and the general consensus is that it has an old style m*****n/Sisters type sound to it (at least more so than anything in the past 20 odd years), which interests me.
That said, I hope the rest of it is better than this single. It's a bit dull, to be honest.
Drsisters
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

New video out, this tune is imho far better then the ville valo crap :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pXJ6xO ... e=youtu.be
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Drsisters wrote:New video out, this tune is imho far better then the ville valo crap :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pXJ6xO ... e=youtu.be
bang tidy that is, really looking forward to the tour now :von:
Goths have feelings too
Brad

Black Planet. He's not even trying, is he?
Pista
Cureboi

Brad wrote:Black Planet. He's not even trying, is he?
I was going A Black Planet In A Hard Place.

:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

Brad wrote:Black Planet. He's not even trying, is he?
Am i really the first to bring Alice into the ring?

the video is more than grottenschlecht. Pathetic.

Neverthelees, also looking forward to the album and the tour. They are a great band, sometimes.
love is just a shot away
Pat
Slight Overbomber

mh
Above the Chemist

If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Yep, I'd go with that. I'm not going to enjoy the album now without trying to find the songs each track was *inspired* by.
paint it black

jost 7 wrote:
the video is more than grottenschlecht. Pathetic..
I thought it was Von in his new suit
Goths have feelings too
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Possibly the point of the video with all those people suffering such unimaginable awfulness. It puts having to listen to the song in to perspective.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Alex66
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

The music whilst quite good but more a pastiche of other works, the words are just a string of cliches, for some reason his lyrics wind me up something rotten. It is not that I have anything against the occasional use of cliches but the way he strings them together makes me feel that he thinks he is cleverer than he is. The Dunning Krugger is strong in this one. I have nothing against 'dumb' lyrics some great pop songs had simple lyrics.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
Alex66
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I really liked the Rose Of Avalanche, they had a great guitar sound I thought, I have a load of their stuff somewhere in a box.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
Durly
Road Kill

Alex66 wrote:
I really liked the Rose Of Avalanche, they had a great guitar sound I thought, I have a load of their stuff somewhere in a box.
Pointelss ROA information: Their old bass player posts on one of the Leeds United forums I'm on.

Re: The m*****n album, I'm listening to it on Soundcloud now. In recent years I've listened to a lot of their older stuff and realised that musically I really still like them but I find Waynes' lyrics/vocals more than a bit painful a lot of the time.
Interesting that they are doing a package with an instrumental version of the new album as well as the standard one. Perhaps they've got the hint that a lot of people also feel that way.
All that said, musically I like it and think it's probably the best thing they've done since Children, albeit largely because it harks back to so many of their earlier tracks and tracks that Wayne played on with the Sisters. The title track in particular being absolutely blatantly the Sisters version of 'Emma'.
mh
Above the Chemist

We should note that the Sisters had started doing Emma before Wayne joined. :lol:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

And after all, so what? If you like it, it doesn´t matter if it´s "inspired" by Von or ROA or Motörhead or The Carpenters. Listen to it. If you don´t like it, ignore it. For myself, i can say, Met-Amor-Phosis is good, and I find Tyranny of Secrets even better. Overall, a real improvement compared to the stuff on "God is a Bullet" and "The Brightest Light".
Trying is the first step towards failure
(Homer Simpson)
mh
Above the Chemist

Cedarjet wrote:And after all, so what? If you like it, it doesn´t matter if it´s "inspired" by Von or ROA or Motörhead or The Carpenters...
Actually I'd disagree - it kinda does matter.

You see, Wayne has shown many times in the past that he is quite capable of writing a good tune; he's even quite capable of writing the occasional great tune. Instead we see him recycling past works. He doesn't need to do that, he's better than that, and it's a shame to see him not use his talent.
Mav787
One life, all I need

mh wrote:
Cedarjet wrote:And after all, so what? If you like it, it doesn´t matter if it´s "inspired" by Von or ROA or Motörhead or The Carpenters...
Actually I'd disagree - it kinda does matter.

You see, Wayne has shown many times in the past that he is quite capable of writing a good tune; he's even quite capable of writing the occasional great tune. Instead we see him recycling past works. He doesn't need to do that, he's better than that, and it's a shame to see him not use his talent.
Do I detect a certain level of condescension?

If you're going to criticise Wayne for recycling then you'd better add in Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, and many other musicians who found inspiration in songs already written.
paint it black

Goths have feelings too
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

paint it black wrote:the entire album, which is top btw

https://soundcloud.com/user-254385527/s ... he/s-XRYrJ
Soundwise a nice trip. Waynes qualities indeed
love is just a shot away
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

I've often wondered how Slink and more importantly Craig feel about him constantly digging up the past in interviews etc. I guess he can only answer questions that are put before him, so maybe the interviewers should be a bit more original, too?

If you've slaved your bollocks off making an album, the last thing you want is your leader talking about an album/period over thirty years ago and before The Mish were even formed?
Four strings good, six strings bad
Brad

A larger question is does Slink even play on this record? From the interviews given, it seems this was solely a Wayne project a la that Resurrection album.
Mav787
One life, all I need

Brad wrote:A larger question is does Slink even play on this record? From the interviews given, it seems this was solely a Wayne project a la that Resurrection album.
You can hear his solo on Met-Amor-Phosis and damn fine it is as well
Brad

Yeah my apologies, I was being rather flippant. It just seemed weird in that original interview from Wayne, he talked of how he was disconnected from his band mates in making this record, and how everything was "me, me, me".

Just wonder how much input there was as a band.