F&L&A without Eldritch?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

If they also did the songs Craig got a songwriting credit on, the show might be a bit longer ...
Imagine if the current band and "Wayne, Craig, Billy and friends play side one of FALAA" were both playing in your local town on the same night. Which would you go and see ? (lights blue touch paper and stands well back). No contest for me, Von, Ben and Chris every time.
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:If they also did the songs Craig got a songwriting credit on, the show might be a bit longer ...
Imagine if the current band and "Wayne, Craig, Billy and friends play side one of FALAA" were both playing in your local town on the same night. Which would you go and see ? (lights blue touch paper and stands well back). No contest for me, Von, Ben and Chris every time.
I'll be there with you Nikolas!
Microcosmia
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

EmmaPeelWannaBe wrote:
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:If they also did the songs Craig got a songwriting credit on, the show might be a bit longer ...
I'll be there with you Nikolas!
For me it's not TSOM without AE.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Wayne was in the Sisters for about 18 months. Chris and Ben have been in the Sisters for over a decade. And I fucking detest Billy Corgan.

The current line-up wins. By a country mile.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Well, Craig was in The Sisters of Mercy for almost all the time until mid-1985
and I always loved his bass playing of the time.

But there is no question about my choice for the current line-up. They rock ... ;D ;D ;D ...
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

panzerfaust wrote:those songs were supposed to sound that way, not that half-arsed pseudo-metal way they are being played by the hired guns.
f**king brutal, man!

But most probably true
Four strings good, six strings bad
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Norman Hunter wrote:
panzerfaust wrote:those songs were supposed to sound that way, not that half-arsed pseudo-metal way they are being played by the hired guns.
f**king brutal, man!

But most probably true
Since TSOM is a tribute band playing few songs of their own, they can reinterprete TSOM songs as they want.
On the other hand, TSOM is a band that doesn't play your favorite songs as they were sounding 30+ years ago. Some may say that i better than just stuck in the past.
Pista
Cureboi

Who’s to say that Von isn’t doing the songs the way HE wants them to sound currently?
If he wanted them to sound the same as they did back in the day, he’d surely do that wouldn’t he?
I have similar conversations with The Cure fans who think the world ended in 1989. Newsflash folks: It didn’t.
Isn’t the main point of a tribute band to faithfully reproduce the original material? Like The Smurphs & The Marching Men?
Von & the boys definitely don’t do that do they?
That’d make The Mish a closer approximation to a tribute band really & hey! If that’s what they want to do, then so be it. Certainly if Wayne, Craig & Corgan went on the road to play FALAA it would be a tribute of sorts.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Mav787
One life, all I need

Anyone who picks going to a gig of the current line up over a gig being played like on the Black October tour either never saw that tour or has Alzheimer's.

Not just the Sisters own songs but Gimme Shelter, Sister Ray, Ghost Rider/Louie, Louie.

That band rocked.

I like Ben and Chris. I must do considering how often I go to see them.

But Jihad over Sister Ray? Rain From Heaven over Gimme Shelter?

Really?
mh
Above the Chemist

Anyone who picks going to a gig of the Black October line up over a gig being played like on the 1983 tours either never saw those tours or has Alzheimer's.

Not just the Sisters own songs but 1969, Jolene.

That band rocked.

I like Wayne. I must do considering how often I go to see them.

But Possession over Kiss the Carpet? Walk Away over Valentine?

Really?
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Pista wrote:If [Eldritch] wanted them to sound the same as they did back in the day, he’d surely do that wouldn’t he?
^ THIS
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Mav787
One life, all I need

mh wrote:Anyone who picks going to a gig of the Black October line up over a gig being played like on the 1983 tours either never saw those tours or has Alzheimer's.

Not just the Sisters own songs but 1969, Jolene.

That band rocked.

I like Wayne. I must do considering how often I go to see them.

But Possession over Kiss the Carpet? Walk Away over Valentine?

Really?
So Ben Gunn has suggested the '83 era version should get back together? Excellent news.

You didn't answer my question: '84 musicians v 2016 musicians? Surely you miss the bass if nothing else?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Actually, come to think of it, if Wayne truly believes that Another Fall From Grace is somehow the missing link between F&L&A and GOM then it just goes to show quite how much he fails to get the Sisters.
—Bertrand Russell
Mav787
One life, all I need

markfiend wrote:Actually, come to think of it, if Wayne truly believes that Another Fall From Grace is somehow the missing link between F&L&A and GOM then it just goes to show quite how much he fails to get the Sisters.
He means just in his guitar playing
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Mav787 wrote: Not just the Sisters own songs but Gimme Shelter, Sister Ray, Ghost Rider/Louie, Louie.

That band rocked.
Funny that all those songs were played by The Sisters long before Wayne joined ... and honestly, I doubt they ever would have had he been in the band from the beginning. Most likely he had left in 1983 ... fully disapproving of the entire Reptile House EP ... :lol: ...
Mav787
One life, all I need

Being645 wrote:
Mav787 wrote: Not just the Sisters own songs but Gimme Shelter, Sister Ray, Ghost Rider/Louie, Louie.

That band rocked.
Funny that all those songs were played by The Sisters long before Wayne joined ... and honestly, I doubt they ever would have had he been in the band from the beginning. Most likely he had left in 1983 ... fully disapproving of the entire Reptile House EP ... :lol: ...
That's rubbish. Wayne said in a recent interview that Gimme Shelter is one of his all time favourite records.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Mav787 wrote:
Being645 wrote:

That band rocked.
That's rubbish. Wayne said in a recent interview that Gimme Shelter is one of his all time favourite records.
Gimme Shelter by The Rolling Stones!!!
Pista
Cureboi

Being645 wrote:
Mav787 wrote:
Being645 wrote: Funny that all those songs were played by The Sisters long before Wayne joined ... and honestly, I doubt they ever would have had he been in the band from the beginning. Most likely he had left in 1983 ... fully disapproving of the entire Reptile House EP ... :lol: ...
Is there another Gimme Shelter then? ;)
Wayne was glad to join The Sisters. He wanted to play guitar more & wasn't entirely happy at getting his stuff mangled up in Dead Or Alive & IIRC they continued to play Reptile House tracks during 84 & 85 (not to mention even earlier material).
I don't think anyone can deny that his contribution to FALAA was important.
Not to mention sticking with them after Marx jumped ship.
I would jump at the chance to see the 84/5 line up do the album as it was. Having seen them in 84 & 85 & having been blown away to the point of being smitten, I'd prolly sell a kidney for a ticket. But it won't happen & without Von, it wouldn't be "as it was originally played".
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Mav787
One life, all I need

Pista wrote:
Being645 wrote:
Mav787 wrote: That's rubbish. Wayne said in a recent interview that Gimme Shelter is one of his all time favourite records.
:notworthy:
Pista wrote:Wayne was glad to join The Sisters. He wanted to play guitar more & wasn't entirely happy at getting his stuff mangled up in Dead Or Alive & IIRC they continued to play Reptile House tracks during 84 & 85 (not to mention even earlier material).
I would jump at the chance to see the 84/5 line up do the album as it was. Having seen them in 84 & 85 & having been blown away to the point of being smitten, I'd prolly sell a kidney for a ticket. But it won't happen & without Von, it wouldn't be "as it was originally played".
But we shouldn't give up hope
Pista
Cureboi

Mav787 wrote:
But we shouldn't give up hope
Quite. The prospect is (for me) mind blowing.
Just because the probability is incredibly low, it doesn't mean it's impossible.
But given he blew off Marx with Nineteen Ninety Nine & Nowhere (which would have been pretty special had he agreed) I'm pretty pessimistic of the chances.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Pista wrote:
Being645 wrote:
Mav787 wrote: That's rubbish. Wayne said in a recent interview that Gimme Shelter is one of his all time favourite records.
Never noticed that The Sisters' version differs?
Pista wrote:Wayne was glad to join The Sisters. He wanted to play guitar more & wasn't entirely happy at getting his stuff mangled up in Dead Or Alive & IIRC they continued to play Reptile House tracks during 84 & 85 (not to mention even earlier material).
OK. That's true.
Pista wrote: I would jump at the chance to see the 84/5 line up do the album as it was. Having seen them in 84 & 85 & having been blown away to the point of being smitten, I'd prolly sell a kidney for a ticket. But it won't happen & without Von, it wouldn't be "as it was originally played".
yeah, who would not, but as you say, it can never be the same ... and quite a few songs were probably omitted, even if :von: should agree, basically ... :wink: ...
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

I am with you Nikolas.

I see all this in a retaliatory way... Wayne wanted to be in the guest list in a Sisters show in Brazil a few years ago and maybe speak about to do something with the 25 anniversary of FLAW...Von said No.
And in suddenly a new remix of Marian turned up,an album promoted as the one between first last and God's own medicine.... And those interviews...

Wayne has his own band (a great one with success) all this is not necessary ....
If von wanted to do those songs as they were played in the 80's I bet Wayne "is not the only guitarist in the world that can play a 12 strings guitar"...

Simply he doesn't want.... now the sisters is what it is and you can take it or not....
If Wayne wants to play those songs for himself go ahead...it will never be the same and he knows it.....but that way of promote his new material and the way that speak about the sisters and his plan of playing FALAW now is a great way to carry with his new album and the current tour..the same that he did when he started his band....
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
czuczu
Overbomber

All 4 of them would be very unlikely but the prospect of Gary, Craig, Wayne and Dr playing together would be a must-see regardless of who's singing - especially if it were someone singing audibly over respectably loud music.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

For me the Sisters without :von: would be like the Smiths without Morrissey. I'm sure Mr. Marr does great versions of Smiths songs but...
The Chancer Corporation
Pista
Cureboi

dtsom wrote:.but that way of promote his new material and the way that speak about the sisters and his plan of playing FALAW now is a great way to carry with his new album and the current tour..the same that he did when he started his band....
That's a fair point. I can see that using this angle in all the promo interviews & stuff could hook a few Sisters fans & even old Mish fans that maybe gave up on them.
& you have to admit. The sound is there, just as it was in 85 & all the way up to GOM.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity