Puzzled

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Arrrgh! wrote:Just on the off chance this forum carries any weight, I too would love to hear a new album. I'd settle for a properly recorded live album to be honest.

Who am I kidding. I'd settle for ANYTHING.
well the mirrors do make for a better long-term visual experience, the inclusion of an old classic like Walkway would add to sales appeal and they have been filming and recording a lot. :eek: :lol:
Goths have feelings too
AdrenaChris
Amphetamine Filth

I'd settle for more actual live bass. Maybe not for the entire set. The synth bass does work surprisingly well for a lot of songs though in London earlier this month was a little quiet. I get why they use it, as you can go deeper than with a "real" bass guitar (even the extended range of a 5-string), it's one less amplifier to cart around and less of a live sound concern (then again just DI the bloody thing, it's not that important and I noticed both Ben and Chris using Kemper profiling amps as opposed to "real" heads and cabs)...

When either Ben or Chris broke out a Fender Jazz for "Romeo Down" it was sublime. It's only needed for tracks where the bass *really* drives the song or the bassline has a strong melodic role, ie NTTC, B&S, mainly stuff from 1985 and earlier admittedly. Do they use a real bass on Suzanne anymore? The creepy guitar lick at the start was definitely a sample.

Still...imagine Flood II with that signature chorus-drenched bass playing the opening notes as opposed to the stupid weedy sounding MIDI piano they've been using since...what, the Vision Thing tour?

Hey Andrew! I know every single Sisters bassline like the back of my hand. Like the song goes..."reach out, I'll be there"...
SmileySister
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

[quote="EmmaPeelWannaBe"]I travel a great distance to see them. Some of the gigs are fantastic and some not so much.

You clearly need more Pre Gig Gin and they will all be fantastic

:lol: :wink:
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

SmileySister wrote:
EmmaPeelWannaBe wrote:I travel a great distance to see them. Some of the gigs are fantastic and some not so much.

Are you buying? I try not to buy my own drinks. :wink:
SmileySister

EmmaPeelWannaBe wrote:
SmileySister wrote:
EmmaPeelWannaBe wrote:I travel a great distance to see them. Some of the gigs are fantastic and some not so much.

I'll buy the drinks if you bring a suitcase of Peanut Butter over :lol:
Pista
Cureboi

SmileySister wrote:
EmmaPeelWannaBe wrote:
SmileySister wrote: Are you buying? I try not to buy my own drinks. :wink:
I'll buy the drinks if you bring a suitcase of Peanut Butter over :lol:
:eek:

err...I mean ....crunchy or smooth?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:
SmileySister wrote:
EmmaPeelWannaBe wrote: I'll buy the drinks if you bring a suitcase of Peanut Butter over :lol:
:eek:

err...I mean ....crunchy or smooth?
It's the drink buyers choice!
SmileySister

The family vote for smooth although I secretly prefer crunchy
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

SmileySister wrote:The family vote for smooth although I secretly prefer crunchy
Wouldn't it depend on if it's spread onto the digestive prior to dunking? Crunchy would be the better alternative in that situation.
Microcosmia
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

EmmaPeelWannaBe wrote:I travel a great distance to see them. Some of the gigs are fantastic and some not so much. That's the thing about live performances. They vary.
And if people don't like they way they sound don't go to the gigs. But please let the rest of us have our fun. And it is our money and our time.
Their songs deserve to be sung and I personally want to hear Andrew sing them more than anyone else. I'm happy to take my chances on performance standards. Better a mixed one than none at all in my book. But that's just me and I can enjoy it no matter what, if I allow myself.
paint it black

EmmaPeelWannaBe wrote:
SmileySister wrote:

Gin, Archers and lager in a pint glass = top night out lol
Goths have feelings too
Microcosmia

paint it black wrote:
EmmaPeelWannaBe wrote:
SmileySister wrote: Are you buying? I try not to buy my own drinks. :wink:
U

Not everyone gets to have their own unique cocktail, better give it a name before they all want one :lol:
paint it black

Microcosmia wrote:
paint it black wrote:
EmmaPeelWannaBe wrote: U

Not everyone gets to have their own unique cocktail, better give it a name before they all want one :lol:
You mean the 'crowd surfer'
Goths have feelings too
SmileySister

paint it black wrote:
Microcosmia wrote:
paint it black wrote:

You mean the 'crowd surfer'
I don't think I've ever seen a happier crowd surfer. It was hysterical :lol:
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

You didn't hold the shirt. (Shudder)
elamanamou
Slight Overbomber

I went to the Dortmund gig. Not disappointed as I never had my hopes up in the first place! Meeting friends more important. :D

I do wonder how much longer they will carry on?
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

Been to 2 concerts (Cologne 16 and Dortmund 17) recently. Was I disappointed? No, as I knew from bootlegs and YouTube snippets that :von: s voice isn´t the same as it used to be. The songs are still great, Ben, Chris and the Nurse are doing a great job (only the Doktor looks a bit static :D ), the sound is good most of the time and the setting has also improved with the mirrors.
As long as you go there knowing that it´s not 1985 or 1990 anymore, what´s the problem? And I´m quite happy it´s NOT 1998 anymore. His voice might have been better back then, but the performance was quite uninspired and cold, so I actually see the current state of things as an improvement.
I understand when people are disappointed who maybe only heard the records before and see them for the first time. What I can´t accept are comments after the concerts at the bar or especiially in the men´s toilet :roll: like "I´ve seent them 5 times now in the last few years, and I could have done a better job myself at all these concerts!" . I mean, as a regular visitor you know what to expect- if you don´t like it, stay away and let the others have a good time. And there are always enough of us who actually do. [/b]
Trying is the first step towards failure
(Homer Simpson)
H. Blackrose

Arrrgh! wrote:Just on the off chance this forum carries any weight, I too would love to hear a new album. I'd settle for a properly recorded live album to be honest.

I don't know why you gotta be so undemanding.

:kiss:
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
duskwind
Road Kill

Cedarjet wrote:Been to 2 concerts (Cologne 16 and Dortmund 17) recently. Was I disappointed? No, as I knew from bootlegs and YouTube snippets that :von: s voice isn´t the same as it used to be. The songs are still great, Ben, Chris and the Nurse are doing a great job (only the Doktor looks a bit static :D ), the sound is good most of the time and the setting has also improved with the mirrors.
As long as you go there knowing that it´s not 1985 or 1990 anymore, what´s the problem? And I´m quite happy it´s NOT 1998 anymore. His voice might have been better back then, but the performance was quite uninspired and cold, so I actually see the current state of things as an improvement.
I understand when people are disappointed who maybe only heard the records before and see them for the first time. What I can´t accept are comments after the concerts at the bar or especiially in the men´s toilet :roll: like "I´ve seent them 5 times now in the last few years, and I could have done a better job myself at all these concerts!" . I mean, as a regular visitor you know what to expect- if you don´t like it, stay away and let the others have a good time. And there are always enough of us who actually do. [/b]

I'd never begrudge anyone having a good time at a show. Most of the audience obviously enjoyed the gig in Wiesbaden and I wasn't one of those complaining loudly.
However, I do not visit concerts for nostalgic reasons, to meet old friends or to mainly drink and party. So a Sisters show may not be the right kind of gig for me...

My main reason is experiencing the songs I love in an atmospheric setting and loud volume, which for me enhances the emotional experience I get listening to records. Clearly audible lead vocals are necessary for this to work for me.
I believe I will still give it a second go with altered expectations if they tour again in Germany...

Until then I'm looking forward to seeing Gary Numan for the first time and Diary of Dreams and Diorama again this year.
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

duskwind wrote:
Cedarjet wrote:Been to 2 concerts (Cologne 16 and Dortmund 17) recently. Was I disappointed? No, as I knew from bootlegs and YouTube snippets that :von: s voice isn´t the same as it used to be. The songs are still great, Ben, Chris and the Nurse are doing a great job (only the Doktor looks a bit static :D ), the sound is good most of the time and the setting has also improved with the mirrors.

I'd never begrudge anyone having a good time at a show. Most of the audience obviously enjoyed the gig in Wiesbaden and I wasn't one of those complaining loudly.
However, I do not visit concerts for nostalgic reasons, to meet old friends or to mainly drink and party. So a Sisters show may not be the right kind of gig for me...

My main reason is experiencing the songs I love in an atmospheric setting and loud volume, which for me enhances the emotional experience I get listening to records. Clearly audible lead vocals are necessary for this to work for me.
I believe I will still give it a second go with altered expectations if they tour again in Germany...

Until then I'm looking forward to seeing Gary Numan for the first time and Diary of Dreams and Diorama again this year.
I didn´t want to criticize YOU with my post. The only people I wanted to criticize were the people at the concerts who are constantly complaining despite the fact that they know what to expect.
Of course I would prefer audible lead vocals as well, but the songs and the atmosphere are still great enough, and I enjoy feeling young again for an evening. :D
Trying is the first step towards failure
(Homer Simpson)
czuczu
Overbomber

Pro tip, there is foldback facing the crowd on the lip of the stage - pick your fav member and stand in front of them for your ideal mix...
duskwind
Road Kill

czuczu wrote:Pro tip, there is foldback facing the crowd on the lip of the stage - pick your fav member and stand in front of them for your ideal mix...
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind :D
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

timsinister wrote:If, in some fantasy parallel universe, you could stack The Damned, Pete Murphy and The m*****n on the same bill as the Sisters, I'm afraid the girls would be blown off stage. These competing, veteran outfits simply sound superb
not the damned, not in a million years. of course it depends on what flavour of the damned you're getting: if rat's in the band and that talentless faker arse-candle sensible ISN'T you might get a result...otherwise the weak-and-watery dirging of 'grimly friendless' and 'el-oh-please' are more likely to send you to sleep. have you seen them recently tim? saw them at Rock city a couple of years ago and the only thing getting blown-off was sensible's self-fellating ego-trip. (of course the time before that they were EXCELLENT, with dave and rat, ex-nma bassist moose harris and godfathers gittar-god kris dolimore).
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

it doesnt carry any weight , but thats because no-one and nothing does. the ladies not for turning (to use a rare oppurtunity to compare von to thatcher -sorry andrew!) however that doesnt mean we mean nothing to him. it was people very much like the overland equivalent of baxcorp who were encouraging to the point of official/unofficial sanctioning of our Heartland. :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Dust Witch
Amphetamine Filth

The Damned are great fun live, I love the Damned - next to the Sisters, they're the band I've seen live the most (a lot less, but 5 is still enough to judge...) but for me the experience doesn't come close to a Sisters gig.