Sisters live sound – the majestic 1993 sound vs today's

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Guilty on both counts sir.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Swinnow wrote:Now you're getting serious. A red shirt with a liverbird over the heart is one of life's most beautiful things. Always.
personally i want this years goalkeeper top. black with gold liverbird =sexy as f**k.
.my old green 'Candy' away shirt from back in the 90's and my lovely red and black tracky top with the Carlsberg logo are both getting well threadbare.

....& this season just gets better. 8)
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Swinnow
Overbomber

This years goalie shirt with the six stars embellishment is rather cool too, plus added goff points lol.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Yggdrasil wrote:It's funny how some fans are like the type of tragic football fans who support a team no matter what, regardless of who the players are, the owners, or the quality of the playing.
Tragic? Oh s**t, I thought those were 'actual' or 'proper' football fans. They're tragic? Wow, always learning.

The sound? Quieter cos Von's voice is quieter. Next convo please, before these two liver birds above begin an inexorable chain reaction of ever more giddy foaming which is looking likely to hit orgasmic highs sometime in May. And will mean all the more because they're tragic football fans.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

come get a hug off a bin-dipper! :lol:
sing a long! :twisted:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Yggdrasil
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Planet Dave wrote: Tragic? Oh s**t, I thought those were 'actual' or 'proper' football fans. They're tragic? Wow, always learning.
Rooting for something regardless of its contents, results or people involved is just blind, empty brand loyalty – tragic in my eyes.

So basically your analogy is saying that a "real fan" would love the Sisters even with all the members changed out for a bunch of pro West Coast studio musicians playing drum-machine based reggaeton to cruise ship pensioners in Florida, as long as it was called SoM? Or still drink Guiness even if it tasted like Miller Lite and was owned by Donald Trump? Really? Why? Because you put the logotype/brand name over everything else?
Planet Dave wrote: The sound? Quieter cos Von's voice is quieter.
So you're saying it's an insurmountable technical problem, case closed? What brings you to that conclusion?
Drsisters
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Haha, that would be hilarious. Beer by Trump. Slogo, beer that makes you hump like a T(C)hump :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Yggdrasil wrote:
Planet Dave wrote: Tragic? Oh s**t, I thought those were 'actual' or 'proper' football fans. They're tragic? Wow, always learning.
Rooting for something regardless of its contents, results or people involved is just blind, empty brand loyalty – tragic in my eyes.

So basically your analogy is saying that a "real fan" would love the Sisters even with all the members changed out for a bunch of pro West Coast studio musicians playing drum-machine based reggaeton to cruise ship pensioners in Florida, as long as it was called SoM? Or still drink Guiness even if it tasted like Miller Lite and was owned by Donald Trump? Really? Why? Because you put the logotype/brand name over everything else?
Planet Dave wrote: The sound? Quieter cos Von's voice is quieter.
So you're saying it's an insurmountable technical problem, case closed? What brings you to that conclusion?
'So basically what you're saying is' .....hmm where've I heard that before. I'll be honest, I stopped reading after that first sentence, soz.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'm tempted to lock this thread. I will do if it gets any more confrontational.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
An
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:I'm tempted to lock this thread. I will do if it gets any more confrontational.
Maybe that´s a problem of it too, today everything´s oughta to be too confrontational. Politics yes, correctness yes, but political correctness?
abridged
Slight Overbomber

I think the point that myself and a few others were making isn't about whether A was better than B but that these arguments have been many times before and they always get very as Mark says ahem heated.
The Chancer Corporation
An
Amphetamine Filth

The problem, everything is instantly taken or given personally without a grain of irony. I mean the question is old but there were still some good objective answers. Why not leave it like that?
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Simply: because there will be always at least folks thinking opposite and not giving up, takin things serious.

We got here at least one person who seems to think that whatever TSOM/AE do is the best and (almost) always good, at few other not sharing this view.

Anyhow, anywho, anyway, popcorn?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Even the complaints that the Sisters aren't as good as they used to be aren't as good as they used to be.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
abridged
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Even the complaints that the Sisters aren't as good as they used to be aren't as good as they used to be.
Post of the Year! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
The Chancer Corporation
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

markfiend wrote:Even the complaints that the Sisters aren't as good as they used to be aren't as good as they used to be.

Since Jam~es has left building, indeed.

:notworthy: :|
Pista
Cureboi

:lol: :notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

:notworthy: :lol: and a valid point that needs addressing. I mean, to be honest The Sisters went s**t the minute Von hung his drumsticks up, and have miserably and continuously failed to deliver anything close to the hinted-at majesty of Damage Done and his drumming ever since.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

They were done after Kill 'em all
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Bartek wrote:They were done after Kill 'em all
Before! I recently watched some of their 30th birthday shows on YT and was surprised to learn there's some other guy they nearly gave the vocals to when they were starting out. Can't remember his name but he was amazing. Hetfield's delivery in those early years was perfect-for-purpose but this bloke's woulda been better.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:come get a hug off a bin-dipper! :lol:
sing a long! :twisted:
I've just noticed this :lol: :lol: :lol:

What can I say? Thank you kind Sir, though I must respectfully decline :lol:

(it's okay to be able to see beyond the tribalistic banter enough to acknowledge a hard earned and well deserved achievement when one sees one, but f**k hugging the twats :lol: :kiss: )
Swinnow
Overbomber

Well done sir :notworthy:

Give that man(c) a doughnut
Yggdrasil
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:I'm tempted to lock this thread. I will do if it gets any more confrontational.
It would be nice to discuss the question I actually raised instead – what's the reason for the current weak SoM live sound? – without loyalists getting all worked up by a fellow fan simply bringing it up.

I see it as a big problem, and most other SoM fans I know feel the same way.

Surely the question has merit enough to at least be discussed without aggression?

I'll try again, and rephrase:

– What could be the reason for the current weak SoM live sound? Other bands sound way better in similar or the same venues. AE:s voice can hardly be a reason technically.

Anyone has any clues?
Last edited by Yggdrasil on 10 Dec 2019, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yggdrasil wrote:It would be nice to discuss the question I actually raised – what's the reason for the current weak SoM live sound?
Yeah I agree, that's what I was trying to say.

Completely unrelated: the red ink is kind of a board shorthand for "moderator voice" not just for emphasis. I don't know if we ever made it "official" though. Never mind :lol:
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

Yggdrasil wrote:. AE:s voice can hardly be a reason technically.
Yes it can. Von's voice has been a sort of "signature" for The Sisters. The music arrangements have changed yes, but his voice & vocal style has always been a constant really.
Personally (with the exception of the false start in Budapest a couple of years back) I've not had any issues with volume at a show I went to .
But the simple fact of the matter is Von simply cannot (or will not) sing as he once did.
His mic is seemingly being policed by the board so he can be heard over the rest of the arrangements.
It's cranked up. You can tell because he insists on wandering over to stage right & stage left where the stacks are at which point you get mahoosive amounts of feedback.
The other thing here is that a lot of the vocal duties are coming from Ben & Dylan.
So yes. It can be a technical reason.
That being said, I still love them & don't recall ever being left disappointed
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity