Best Leeds Bands Ever

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

taylor wrote:ok I leave the forum
good bay to every ones :D
good move. saves quiffy banning you next time you feel the need to bother us with your bigotry...
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Liquidhead.

:)

Paddy.
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
Black Dahlia
Elegantly Wasted

Dont let the door hit your arse on the way out.
Hell is other people
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

Black Dahlia wrote:
Dont let the door hit your arse on the way out.
Quite.
Minister of Misinformation and Misdirection.

We first met through a shared view
She loved me and I did too
Dan
Overbomber

Sisters
Skeletals/Ghostdance
March Violets
Salvation
M!ssion
The Vaynes (I remember one time at Leeds Astoria the singer went into a whole improvised bit about "What would you do if I showed my c*ck to your girlfriend.")
Nancy_78 wrote: Zodiac Mindwarp & The Love Reaction
As far as I know they're not from Leeds, although I'd love to be proven wrong.
biggy
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Dan wrote:Sisters
Skeletals/Ghostdance
March Violets
Salvation
M!ssion
The Vaynes (I remember one time at Leeds Astoria the singer went into a whole improvised bit about "What would you do if I showed my c*ck to your girlfriend.")

If I remember rightly the Vaynes cock show :D was when they played the all day anti Pole tax thing that Salvation headlined . I remember the rest of the Vaynes just shaking their heads & walking off in the end . I've got the Salvation & Shotgun Brides sets on tape somewhere .

I would have included Skeletals too but they're all from Keighley , I only thought I'd get away with Ghost Dance for Gary Marx :wink:
I saw Skeletals last Saturday and Sunday & Claire (new singer) had the tightest shinyest catsuit on ever . :kiss:

we could have a contest , first one to find out where Zodiac Mindwarp are from gets their best of from the bargain bin :D
khepri II
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

http://users.computerweekly.net/mindwar ... zodiac.htm

:wink:

but i've already got prime mover what else is worth having :roll: :twisted:
Just remember this. This rabble you keep talking about does most of the working, paying and dying in this community.
khepri II

drug free america anyone ;D
Just remember this. This rabble you keep talking about does most of the working, paying and dying in this community.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

khepri II wrote:drug free america anyone ;D
they're from york arent they? and they were cack ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
khepri II

Quiff Boy wrote:
they're from york arent they? and they were cack ;)
humph first RLYL now DFA do you have no taste :evil: :eek: :lol: :lol:

yeah. prob.. right, thought they were Leeds origin played in york. Dunno ?

and my head being not what it was, what did they originate from / to :roll:
Dan
Overbomber

biggy wrote: I've got the Salvation & Shotgun Brides sets on tape somewhere .
I've got the Vaynes show on tape somewhere. :)
So he is from Leeds/Yorkshire. I'd never knew that!
Oh yes! I liked them.
Quiff Boy wrote: they're from york arent they? and they were cack ;)
Maybe you only heard them when they made a comeback some years later. I never heard them then but I'm told they were cack.
James Blast
Banned

The Mekons for the cover and title of 'The Quality Of Mercy Is Not Strnen..' and a track called 'Like Spoons, No More'
check here if proof be needed http://www.mekons.de/lps.htm
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Dan wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:they're from york arent they? and they were cack ;)
Maybe you only heard them when they made a comeback some years later. I never heard them then but I'm told they were cack.
*RUMMAGES THROUGH RECORDS*

i have the "day-glo pussycat" 12" from 1988 on blind eye records (with a postcard!) :?:

and they have a leeds address for more info... (harehills judging by the ls8 postcode)! :eek: :?:

have also heard a few other tracks: "viva viet-vegas" etc and still thought they were pants :roll: :urff:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Quiff Boy wrote:(with a postcard!)
and here it is! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nice helmet...

bless ;)
Dan
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote: i have the "day-glo pussycat" 12" from 1988 on blind eye records (with a postcard!) :?:
Oh ok. I don't have any of their records, they sounded good live though.

They made some sort of a comeback not so many years ago as some sort of a techno/dance act. I never heard them though.
James Blast
Banned

I love a nice helmet in the morning
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Dan wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote: i have the "day-glo pussycat" 12" from 1988 on blind eye records (with a postcard!) :?:
Oh ok. I don't have any of their records, they sounded good live though.
i suppose they might have sounded better live - the record itself sounds stilted and underproduced and suffers from very poor drum machine sounds and dodgy vocals.

takes itself a tad too serious ;)
Dan wrote:They made some sort of a comeback not so many years ago as some sort of a techno/dance act. I never heard them though.
yeah, i have one of their comeback techno tracks too!! :urff:

it was on a "future music" magazine sampler cd from about 1993 - it sounded like someone who had never heard ambient techno trying to make ambient techno. :lol:

actually, i'm being overly harsh there - it wasnt too bad a track, but iirc it was a little heavy on the movie samples and sounded a bit cliched as a result :(
Nancy_78
Amphetamine Filth

Dan wrote:

http://users.computerweekly.net/mindwar ... zodiac.htm

So he is from Leeds/Yorkshire. I'd never knew that!

Yep,he really is from Leeds.Mark Manning was born of exquisite working class credentials in Armley,Leeds in 1958...From 1985 and 1995 he was the rock star known as Zodiac Mindwarp,fronting his band,The Love Reaction that he formed in Leeds...The 1987's "Prime Mover" was their biggest hit single ever that reached #18 in the UK Singles Charts...Motorhead's Lemmy was their big fan at the time being so jealous of their youth and power.
Andrew Eldritch wrote: "I'm actually quite a decent bastard..." (New Musical Express, February 27th 1988)
James Blast
Banned

Tattooed Beat Messiah is a classic slice of hard rock, could teach these Darkness boys a thing or two. Saw Zod and his combo twice and they were a great rock band, The Neff and The Batfish Boys were support at the Glasgow QMU gig.

this e-mail is merely for information and in no way forms a contract... etc
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Quiff Boy wrote:soft cell
If a couple of years' residency is enough to make you a tyke, then how about Snake Davis and his Alligator Shoes?
Go to sleep now, Francis.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

pink peg slacks :P
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Indeed. I had the pleasure of being unceremoniously chastised by Mr Pink in the Faversham during the early 80s. He was stood behind me at the bar and was singularly unimpressed with my stunning ability to remain unnoticed by the bar staff for in excess of 15 minutes. I prefer less crowded establishments these days.
Go to sleep now, Francis.
Dan
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:pink peg slacks :P
I saw Pink Peg Slax at Leeds Poly in 1988 - Comic Relief Party 5.2.88 (I painted my Comic Relief red nose black specially for the occasion!)
Drug Free America / The Psycho Surgeons / The Late Henry Henderson / Salvation / Salvation & Ghostdance / Pink Peg Slax / Finale

This was the gig that Eldritch was gonna make an appearance at, but as luck would have it he was having his wisdom teeth out so couldn't make it. (This event spawned a band called "Wonky Wisdom Tooth". I never saw them play and they were always spoken of with hushed tones and a nod and a wink. The were once gonna be support at a gig I went to but they cancelled. Anyone ever see them who has any other info to add?)

The Late Henry Henderson was a weird standup comedian who mas made up to look like Frankensteins monster.

The Salvation + Ghostdance bit was just members of both bands playing 2 songs, Paper Plane & Heat Seeker. Danny Salvation had promised to sing Tiffany's "I Think We're Alone Now" during their set, but only if he was pissed enough. Sadly he wasn't so we didnt get the song :(

Pink Peg Slax weren't appreciated by the audience, and during their set the drummer broke a snare drum. At the end of the set the singer invited anyone who wanted to to come backstage to put the other side of the drum through.

The Finale was a really shambolic but brilliant version of Wild Thing/Louie Louie featuring members from all bands, with vocals by Anne Marie (Ghostdance), Danny Salvation and the singer of Drug Free America, plus halfway through the singer of local band Purple Eternal jumped onstage and took the mic and joined in.

When the song started, I saw the singer of Drug Free America standing in the shadows, and just for a split second I thought it was Eldritch, then he stepped forwards and it wasn't :(
biggy

Dan wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:pink peg slacks :P
I saw Pink Peg Slax at Leeds Poly in 1988 - Comic Relief Party 5.2.88 (I painted my Comic Relief red nose black specially for the occasion!)
Drug Free America / The Psycho Surgeons / The Late Henry Henderson / Salvation / Salvation & Ghostdance / Pink Peg Slax / Finale

This was the gig that Eldritch was gonna make an appearance at, but as luck would have it he was having his wisdom teeth out so couldn't make it. (This event spawned a band called "Wonky Wisdom Tooth". I never saw them play and they were always spoken of with hushed tones and a nod and a wink. The were once gonna be support at a gig I went to but they cancelled. Anyone ever see them who has any other info to add?)

The Late Henry Henderson was a weird standup comedian who mas made up to look like Frankensteins monster.

The Salvation + Ghostdance bit was just members of both bands playing 2 songs, Paper Plane & Heat Seeker. Danny Salvation had promised to sing Tiffany's "I Think We're Alone Now" during their set, but only if he was pissed enough. Sadly he wasn't so we didnt get the song :(

Pink Peg Slax weren't appreciated by the audience, and during their set the drummer broke a snare drum. At the end of the set the singer invited anyone who wanted to to come backstage to put the other side of the drum through.

The Finale was a really shambolic but brilliant version of Wild Thing/Louie Louie featuring members from all bands, with vocals by Anne Marie (Ghostdance), Danny Salvation and the singer of Drug Free America, plus halfway through the singer of local band Purple Eternal jumped onstage and took the mic and joined in.

When the song started, I saw the singer of Drug Free America standing in the shadows, and just for a split second I thought it was Eldritch, then he stepped forwards and it wasn't :(

:D :D :D
Wonky wisdom tooth were my band , we formed on one of the Salvation tours while I was roadie (a bad one at that)
The cancelled gig would have been the Salvation Duchess xmas party thing . We had to cancel because one of the guitarists relations died a few days earlier . I think I ended up on merchandise instead that night :roll:
We did a few gigs until Dom the bass player took his own life & that was that .
I'm amazed that you remember the name . I'm afraid it wasn't as glamorous as an Eldritch connected thingy just a lowly Salvation connected thing :D

I have that Salvation comic relief set on tape too somewhere , I think with the other bands joining in as well .
As for the Tiffany song :D I seem to remember that from somewhere , maybe a soundcheck or something . You know I'll have to go check if I have a tape of it somewhere now don't you , dammit :D :roll:

Thanks for that Dan , you've put a smile on my face .
Black Shuck
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

I think the best Leeds band are the Sisters of Mercy.
Gazza for England manager