In defence of the French

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Sorry Richie. I never meant nuffin by it. :oops:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
pikkrong
Overbomber

Red Sunsets wrote:Southern Hemisphere wines are far superior IMHO these days, but Catherine Deneuve, especially in The Hunger..... OMG! now we are talking :P
My one experience of landing in Charles DeGaulle was.... yup, A Baggage Handlers Strike!

go le figure
B'Last
Catherine Deneuve, yeah :kiss:

Not particularly in The Hunger - I've got it on VHS but... all this vampire stuff is ridiculous, isn't it?
do i drive
or am i driven
James Blast
Banned

Bauhaus were in it, well Murphy was (sneeze and you miss it) and in its day was very stylish and a good tale, even The Thin White Duke aquitted himself well.
All the above is in my humble/experienced opinion

regards
James Blast
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
pikkrong
Overbomber

Red Sunsets wrote:Bauhaus were in it, well Murphy was (sneeze and you miss it) and in its day was very stylish and a good tale, even The Thin White Duke aquitted himself well.

regards
James Blast
Yes, yes, yes - there were Deneuve, Bowie and Bauhaus - respect them all (and love one of them, not Bowie, not Bauhaus :wink: ) but... that's MY humble opinion - all this vampire mythology is a bit stupid.
And this lady has done many great roles :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
do i drive
or am i driven
James Blast
Banned

I am willing to learn Pikkrong, point me in the right direction? I have of course seen Obsession, it was a long time ago and I was in an altered state, but it did made me want to have a shower after it!

regards
James
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
pikkrong
Overbomber

Well, if I have to choose between watching again "Dancer In The Dark" and "The Hunger" I took the last of them, no doubt :twisted:
But if my memory serves me well (which isn't proven) The Last Metro was a good one. Memory, yes... it's agin 3:20 am... :urff:

Anyway... hope it will not start a new war and I don't have to regret it in the morning... I mean the statement I'd like to do... No, I'm not a war-monger but I really think that 60 years old Catherine Deneuve still looks far better than Patricia M...

do i drive
or am i driven
Black Shuck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

the fact that so many people hate the Frence is, in my opinion, proof of how great they are.

I mean, would you rather the French be all painted-on smiles, and full of empty welcome?

If they dislike you, they let you know! it's not a bad thing.

They are a very proud, passionate race of people, who don't take crap from anybody (erm, except the nazis); they refuse to bow to American cultural imperialism; if they don't agree with something (poor service, crap government etc.) they fight for their rights ; and the only reason they sometimes seem rude to foreigners is cos foreigners usually deserve it...

British nobheads go to France on holiday, get royally tanked up on cheap beer and wine (the French would not accept the outrageous alcohol tax which we in Britain pay), and proceed to demolish picturesque French towns, p*ss in French front gardens etc.

and then these Brit tossers return home dissgruntled because the French were 'rude' to them...

I say 'Viva France! Salut!'
Gazza for England manager
randdebiel²
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Red Sunsets wrote:Bauhaus were in it, well Murphy was (sneeze and you miss it) and in its day was very stylish and a good tale, even The Thin White Duke aquitted himself well.

regards
James Blast
"even"? imho bowie is always great when he acts....
"merry christmas mr. Lawrence"?
"the man who fell to eart"?
hell even in labyrinth he was good....
shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather....
Black Dahlia
Elegantly Wasted

pikkrong wrote:

regards
James Blast
Yes, yes, yes - there were Deneuve, Bowie and Bauhaus - respect them all (and love one of them, not Bowie, not Bauhaus :wink: ) but... that's MY humble opinion - all this vampire mythology is a bit stupid.
Its a great film - that first scene with Bauhaus in the club is wonderful. And pikkrong , dont start dissing vampire mythology now ..... 8)
Hell is other people
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

I should go to France more often than I do, it's only across the water from me. I would consider France first if I wanted to live elsewhere.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
pikkrong
Overbomber

Black Dahlia wrote:
pikkrong wrote:

regards
James Blast
Its a great film - that first scene with Bauhaus in the club is wonderful. And pikkrong , dont start dissing vampire mythology now ..... 8)
Didn't want to insult anybody. Sorry about my night-words. All this is just too romantic for me.
do i drive
or am i driven
karin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

and and and...Style Icons ? the French ? style icons my arse. Last time I was in Paris I saw more frizzy perms and orange and purple anoraks than you could shake a stick at. Me, I, Me :kiss: I was the most stylish of them all (Oh yes) in my faux ( oops excuse my french ) Rupert the bear trousers. Oh yes.. ;D :kiss: :wink:
Zwei bier bitte.....
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Erm...

[bitch mode]

Steve? Richey? Arguments are one thing - personal insults are quite another. Play nice, or take it outside, please.

[/bitch mode]

Thanks! ;D :von:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

MrChris wrote:My very limited experience of the French would also appear to paint them as stubborn, unhelpful, condescending and evasive.
Are you sure you're not talking about *Americans* here? :wink: :roll: ;D :von:
karin

doncha just hate it when that happens ? :roll: :D :lol: :kiss:
Zwei bier bitte.....
cyn

Dunno about chocolate vs muffins.

But without the French We would not have Les Miserables.
Why don't you ask the kids at Tiananmen Square
Was fashion the reason why they were there?
They disguise it, hypnotize it
Television made you buy it
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

SINsister wrote:Erm...

[bitch mode]

Steve? Richey? Arguments are one thing - personal insults are quite another. Play nice, or take it outside, please.

[/bitch mode]

Thanks! ;D :von:
eh? have i just been told off for something i said two weeks ago? and it wasn't an insult it was sarcasm - did i forget my :wink: again? :twisted:
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Apparently, when the French do a No.2, they do it in the shower and poke it down the plug hole with their big toe. I read it in a magazine so it must be true. Oh, I remember ... I read it in Viz.
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
cyn

Johnny Boy wrote:Apparently, when the French do a No.2, they do it in the shower and poke it down the plug hole with their big toe. I read it in a magazine so it must be true. Oh, I remember ... I read it in Viz.
Eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!! :urff:

*Makes mental note not to let french people use her shower*
Why don't you ask the kids at Tiananmen Square
Was fashion the reason why they were there?
They disguise it, hypnotize it
Television made you buy it
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Johnny Boy wrote:Apparently, when the French do a No.2, they do it in the shower and poke it down the plug hole with their big toe. I read it in a magazine so it must be true. Oh, I remember ... I read it in Viz.
Hmm. I think I'm going to be sick. Lemme ponder this for a sec. Yep! Vomit-worthy. Please excuse me... :urff: :urff: :urff:
James Blast
Banned

Johnny Boy wrote:Apparently, when the French do a No.2, they do it in the shower and poke it down the plug hole with their big toe.
anyone who has read Head On by Julian Cope will know that he has practiced this black art too :urff:
~ Peter Steele
Angelchild

Bleugh!!!
Having said that before I was an office clerk I was a nurse for 10 years and I've seen worse, but I won't go into gory details :eek: Praise be I'm out of all that now(not all the gory stuff,just the stress etc etc)

What was JC doing? Or don't we want to know? :urff:
"Ohne deine hilfe verliere
Ich mich in diesem ort"
XidiouX

My old man recently moved to Carcassonne. Went to visit him a few weeks ago. Nice place. Nice castle. Nice canal. Nice women. Nice fois gras.

Nice post office.

XidiouX
iesus
Overbomber

He bought a castle in Carcassonne with canals around it and full of women :eek: :eek:

Tell us the truth is he the winner of Jack Pot in Lotto that stayed anonymous? ;D :notworthy:

Anyway that is what someone can call living elegante , respect to achiever :notworthy:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Silver_Owl
The Don

Jesus...You dug this one up! :lol:

I've just read my comments from 11 years ago and to be honest I'm a little ashamed. So a belated apology to anybody who reads them. :oops:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.