Alice 2004

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

I'll let you know in the next couple of days or so. They are sending out my copy today...
24.24.2.489 Deceased
DomConway
Filth

Just spoke to Juno and the one they have is the same cover as the eBay one. Waiting for a reply from Spirit about the artwork on that one, but guess it'll be the same...
the only thing to fear is fear itself
dokter funker
Road Kill

i think the juno one hads a copy of the sleeve, im trying to find out more info now
DomConway
Filth

Spirit chap says it's the same artwork and that ones with matt finish covers are real, not shiny ones. Didn't ask Juno which they have but I'll find out soon enough!
It would've been £23 not £43 from Spirit btw, he made a typo in the email... But he's sold 'em all now anyway.
the only thing to fear is fear itself
dokter funker
Road Kill

it will be good to see what arrives, if its the real deal, you have a bargain!
taylor
Slight Overbomber

which difference between fake and original ?
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

DomConway wrote:Spirit chap says it's the same artwork and that ones with matt finish covers are real, not shiny ones. Didn't ask Juno which they have but I'll find out soon enough!
It would've been £23 not £43 from Spirit btw, he made a typo in the email... But he's sold 'em all now anyway.
The guy at Spirit said he had 100 copies when he emailed me last night. Thank god I managed to grab one!
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

CellThree wrote:
DomConway wrote:Spirit chap says it's the same artwork and that ones with matt finish covers are real, not shiny ones. Didn't ask Juno which they have but I'll find out soon enough!
The guy at Spirit said he had 100 copies when he emailed me last night. Thank god I managed to grab one!

Hmm, copy I bought from Spirit was £10 + £3 insured shipping.
Sold me the line about there only being 100 - I seriously doubt it!
But ithe dub mix is very funky, and it's the closest thing we're probably going to see in regard to new product this year!
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
James Blast
Banned

I downloaded that link Mugabe posted, wish I hadn't. That is one awful bastardization of a classic.

what are you people thinking?
Blast
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

It's rubbish - dropping in samples behind a plink/plonk drum machine is not what I'd call a decent remix.
Slight Overbomber

Red Sunsets wrote:I downloaded that link Mugabe posted, wish I hadn't. That is one awful bastardization of a classic.

what are you people thinking?
Blast
It's a bit like those awful 70's shirts the Sisters used to wear - ya gotta keep taking the medication! :wink:
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
dokter funker
Road Kill

plink plonk drum machines, the sisters were using the classic roland tr808 (dokter avalanche) as there drum machine on "alice" i think the new remix rocks, stop living in the past.
comments please
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

Oh come now - there's a big difference between industrial/minimalist drum machine groove and a drum machine rhythm transplated from a low-rent gay disco adorned with some arbitary swooping analog synth nonsense.

And compositionally it adds nothing to the original track, and that hi-hat sample is rubbish.
Banned

we can't be talking about the same track, can we?

this sucks---> http://www.spiritproductions.net/audio/sample.wma
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
dokter funker
Road Kill

get into the 21st century, you are probably listening to nine inch nails and thinking its happening!??
dokter funker
Road Kill

you got a problem with gay disco slypack??, dont forget the sisters covered emma by disco band hot chocolate
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

dokter funker wrote:get into the 21st century, you are probably listening to nine inch nails and thinking its happening!??
Anything vaguely claiming solidarity with the 21st Century Zeitgeist will probably not be accompanied by a "disco beat". If you have a hi-hat playing eighth notes on the off-beat over a four beat kick drum pattern you are dangerously into cheese territory.
Amphetamine Filth

dokter funker wrote:you got a problem with gay disco slypack??, dont forget the sisters covered emma by disco band hot chocolate
I'm all for remixing old tracks into new and interesting things, but all this really is some snippets of sampled guitar over a pedestrian bass line, a rather tired and somewhat obvious drum pattern, some analog synth noodling of no musical merit and some break-downs all but omitting some gratuitous "Oh Yeahs!" or maybe "MAKE SOME NOISE!".

Like the way you reduce Hot Chocolate to a "disco band". Emma was probably Errol Brown's finest songwriting moment, and there was probably a good reason why TSOM didn't perform Emma in the original manner......

dont for get the tam on 16ths, and a double kick on 8th's, and a one bar snare roll every 16 or 32 bars goes down a treat.

and whats wrong with cheese anyway?, i love a good emanthal sarny
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

The double kick is nice but the tam is so low in the mix I hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it. The more I listen to it the more I miss the melody line, of which there is nothing - you can only follow the verse/chorus structure by following the bass-line - which makes up what - 1/3 of the original composition?

Anyway - I've said what I think. Good luck to ya.

pedestrian bass line??, interesting as its the same as the original 82 bass line!
it also features the vocalist from kosheen, if it were marks out of 10 i would give it a 8, dub gets a 10 out of 10. let the battle begin!
James Blast
Banned

I think you two should get an hotel room for the night :P
~ Peter Steele
dokter funker
Road Kill

interesting, i always thought the melody in alice was the bassline??

1 all, touche, own goal
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

I think you'll find the vocal line is the melody
Herr Administrator

my 12" arrived this morning from juno.

came in a matt black & gold sleeve with the MR logo on side a's label and the info on side b's, exactly as per the ebay photo.

it looks pretty legit.... as much as a bootleg can look legit anyway.

all for a fiver! and a bit of v.a.t. and a bit of postage - about £7 in the end.

i quite like it - ok so its nowt groundbreaking either as a goff tune or a dance tune, but its quite nice to hear the sisters imprint on a house track (techno with drums!?!) :von:

it's pretty dark and pretty funky and there's some nice looping of the first half of the main guitar-line which gives it an interesting twist, as does the "ahh, la la la" vocal/synth stab (where is that from? is that the kosheen bit that dok mentions?)

overall? not bad for a fiver, but i wouldnt pay 40 quid for it ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?