Worst TSOM song ever?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.

Worst TSOM song ever? (released)

Poll ended at 05 Dec 2003, 17:10

Watch
10%
The damage done
No votes
Home of the hit-men
10%
Doctor Jeep
20%
You could be the one
20%
Fix
No votes
Kiss the carpet
No votes
Something else...
40%

Total votes: 30
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

{{{woosh}}} {{{woosh}}} **silence**
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
mayhem
Glam Rock Throwback

MrChris wrote:{{{woosh}}} {{{woosh}}} **silence**

:lol: :lol: :lol: Too right mate.

Let's not descend into elitism please. Probably a lot of you kids weren't even born in 1981 & it doesn't matter one bit. Just being around doesn't validate your opinion.

M
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

No, I can appreciate what Taylor is trying to say. I don’t think he’s meaning to be elitist…

I didn’t get into the sisters until 89/90-ish (the first new material I heard was VT... :urff: ), but I can kind of see what he's saying.

If you were a fan from, say, 1982 then you would see their progress and their change in sound as it happened.

It’s a very different thing to get into a band while they are still making and releasing music, to getting into a band “retrospectively� and trawling through their back catalogue.

If you get into a band that is “young� and is actively making records, you get swept along by it all, eagerly awaiting each new record and imagining what it might sound like in relation to their last record, and how their sound will progress/change/etc

There was a distinct change in sound for The Sisters with most new singles.

Between Body Electric, Anaconda and Alice it turned from dark, primal, angry, quasi-punk tunes into edgy darkwave disco with garage guitar riffs. From Alice to Reptile House their sound became more ambient and experimental. Then with Temple it went back to 200mph disco-metal.

And then we have Body & Soul :urff: As Khepri says, it’s very boring, and about as clichéd Goth as it gets… plodding, hackneyed and just plain wrong.

And then we have FALAA, where everything gets a nice pop sheen. Not quite the usual pop sheen, but still fairly poppy compared with, say the RH ep or Anaconda.

And then they disappear, to return a couple of years later with This Corrosion.

What the f**k?!? :o

Imagine hearing all those as they were released. Hearing that change of sound, texture and mood first hand.

No, I can see what Taylor means. I think that expectation and then surprise could colour your view of a record permanently, in much the same way as hearing a tune for the first tome when you are having a wonderful time in your life will leave you with fond memories of the tune, even if it’s actually a crap song :)

By the same taken, I am not a huge fan of VT as I was expecting a darker and more synthy album and was slightly disappointed when I first heard More and then the VT album…

But then that’s why we love them isn’t it? The constant shift of direction. That’s what stops them turning into The Cure, where each of their last x number of albums has sounded just like the one before… :roll:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

couldn't have said it better myself Quiff! :notworthy:
The Scene won't save you...
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Quiff Boy wrote: And then they disappear, to return a couple of years later with This Corrosion.

What the ****?!? :o

Imagine hearing all those as they were released. Hearing that change of sound, texture and mood first hand.
This was also back in the days when any new single wasn't aired on the radio for six bloody weeks prior to release date. On the day in question you rushed down to your local record store, purchased said single and ran all the way home to stick it on the turntable. This was the first time you were able to hear it.

After FALAA and previous, and the widerness years, I still have vivid memories of hearing TC for the first time. And my reaction was not disimilar to QB's comment above.

But you listen and learn. AE is a chameleon. Always changing his colours to suit his moods and his needs. You either stay a fan of a set period or grow and adapt and jump upon the Von Eldritch Express. Destination unknown.
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
khepri II
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

One thing i've often wondered as well.

Not wanting to appear a racist pratt :eek: but if English isn't your first language, then just how much of "it" do you get?

I mean *digging another hole for self* is it just the melody, the way the lyrics are structured or what. How come there are so many German Sisters fans.

:?

The only equivilent for me might be Rammstien (Sp? ) and that's just, well, an industrial sound to me :roll:
Just remember this. This rabble you keep talking about does most of the working, paying and dying in this community.
Silver_Owl
The Don

I'd best not get involved in the whole debate thing but their worst ever song is 'More' - it's boring and it's too long. It has nothing at all to offer. Does anybody actually like it?
(As for Dr Jeep - I love the inanity of the lyrics, it's a great throw away song.)
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Loki

Steve303 wrote:'More' - it's boring and it's too long. It has nothing at all to offer. Does anybody actually like it?
I don't mind it but agree that the intro is too long and the outro is way, way, waaaaayyyyyyy too long and sends me to sleep.
Loki

Oh, and I quite like the 'More' video. Being dragged down onto the floor whilst being caressed and fondled by a number of females is something all male Heartlanders should aspire to. :innocent:
hallucienate
Overbomber

I love More, it's overblown cock rock. Excellent.

And Johnny Boy, it's overrated. :wink:
James Blast
Banned

Nine While Nine wasn't on the list :(

Watch and Hitmen are bedroom fumblings.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
JonnyDelphium
Road Kill

leave "Bury Me Deep" alone!
James Blast
Banned

JonnyDelphium wrote:leave "Bury Me Deep" alone!
My fave!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

For some reason I really seem to hate Walk Away.

Now Paddy is gonna point out he's seen me dance to it at Smurphs gigs... :innocent:
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
JonnyDelphium
Road Kill

Walk Away is overrated; although I quite liked Paradise Lost's version
Angelchild
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

No complaints about anything,only I've never been too keen on "Torch" & "Anaconda" doesn't always float my boat :roll:
"Ohne deine hilfe verliere
Ich mich in diesem ort"
taylor
Slight Overbomber

thanks a lot Q, you have understand me 100%
Petseri
Overbomber

Instead of offering a sampling of songs as done in this poll, would it not be better to have separate polls for individual albums and maybe for non-album tracks and for new songs? That is what was done for the "best song" polls.

If anyone wants to revamp this poll into separate ones for the different albums, please spead them out one per week or so. [I even would recommend locking this thread and moving it to another forum, if you know what I mean.] In my opinion, we have enough polls active at the moment. We certainly do not need another six "worst song" polls started up all at once. "Best of" and "worst of" topics come up fairly regularly; there is no need to rush into them all at the same time.

If we really were pressed for another new poll at some point, we could have a final poll conducted of the "winners" or "losers" of the respective polls to see how they compete against one another. Put that off for a rainy day, though.
James Blast
Banned

Petseri, I think it's way past your bedtime :roll:

No offence meant :D
~ Peter Steele
Petseri
Overbomber

Red Sunsets wrote:Petseri, I think it's way past your bedtime :roll:

No offence meant :D
I think that we should have a poll to see how many people think that it is past my bedtime! :lol:

Still, you know that what I described above is bound to happen at some point.
James Blast
Banned

Aye true, I just don't like thinking that hard.
~ Peter Steele
_emma_
Overbomber

khepri II wrote:One thing i've often wondered as well.

Not wanting to appear a racist pratt :eek: but if English isn't your first language, then just how much of "it" do you get?

I mean *digging another hole for self* is it just the melody, the way the lyrics are structured or what. How come there are so many German Sisters fans.

:?

Now that's a good question I've frequently asked myself too.
Imagine you're a teenager whose English skills are far from intermediate, and you know nothing about the whole
sociological, cultural, political etc. background that generated the so-called **** subculture. What's more,
you don't even know who the members of the band are, what they look like, and what they claim they think of the above
background. In such a state, dear khepri II, listening to the Sisters is an absolutely magnificent experience. It's like
suddenly feeling the tender warm touch of a human hand after you've been locked in complete darkness
all your life. And the hand guides you slowly around the room. You touch the objects in the dark and learn their
shapes, imagining what they may possibly look like. Then finally it guides you to the switch that's always
been there on the wall, impossible for you to find, and you push it, and dim multicoloured lights start to shine
in the haze, and you find yourself in a room full of weird, beautiful objects of absolutely incomprehensible use.
Although you now know what they look like, in fact you still don't understand much more than you did
before, but you like it there and so you decide to stay, while the one who guided you retreats into the haze.
So, at first there's just the irresistible lure of the outside layer that draws you into the Sisters and makes you
dig deeper in a desperate effort to understand what they are all about. At first, there's just the sound, and
honestly I have no idea how it works... but there's something very special about it, something you just don't
find in other singers. Either it's the voice, its frequency or hue or whatever, or the way he pronounces
some words, or maybe the way the words are put together, the harmony, the mellody and rhythm of the lyric
itself - I don't know! All I know is that you just don't find it in other singers.
Loki

:eek: :eek: :eek: :D 8) :notworthy:
Black Shuck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

The worst Sisters songs are:
Temple of Love
This Corrosion
I was wrong