Go on The Best Goth Band of All Time

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

please name some more - those last four are hilarious!
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

The funniest name for a goth band IMHO has got to be:

Armageddon Dildos ;D ;D ;D

(they're more industrial than goth, but what the hell.)

Beat that!
The Scene won't save you...
Thea
Overbomber

that's not funny! what about chants of maldoror? smiling goth? bats in he belfry? creaming jesus? the last days of jesus? bloody dead and sexy? murder at the registry?

all real bands, all silly names :D
hallucienate
Overbomber

Scardwel wrote:The funniest name for a goth band IMHO has got to be:

Armageddon Dildos ;D ;D ;D

(they're more industrial than goth, but what the hell.)

Beat that!
their cover of Moz's "Every Day Is Like Sunday" is ace!

"Come armageddon, come armageddon, come"
James Blast
Banned

Genesis around the time of Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and especially Live.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

hallucienate wrote:their cover of Moz's "Every Day Is Like Sunday" is ace!

:eek: :eek: :eek: This I've gotta hear! Anyone care to point me in the direction of an MP3??? :wink:
The Scene won't save you...
Angelchild
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Scardwel wrote:I'd have to pick the Nephs 'cause they were the first proper band I ever saw live and I was totally blown away. I've never been the same since!
After them it would have to be The Mish and The Cure (although alot of their stuff is more pop than goth.)
I'm with Scardy & Markfiend on this one :)
Pretty much my feelings too and a lot of good memories from then :wink:
"Ohne deine hilfe verliere
Ich mich in diesem ort"
hallucienate
Overbomber

Scardwel wrote:
hallucienate wrote:their cover of Moz's "Every Day Is Like Sunday" is ace!

:eek: :eek: :eek: This I've gotta hear! Anyone care to point me in the direction of an MP3??? :wink:
I got it off an old SMiths/Moz MP3 site. I'll try dig it out...
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Red Sunsets wrote:Genesis around the time of Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and especially Live.
EBG :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
James Blast
Banned

:D Cheers JB, EBG and proud!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Clucking Belle
Amphetamine Filth

How can anyone take the Fields of the Nephilim seriously? I mean, what a pretentious load of tosh. Surely, surely you must be embarassed to own a record by them, or author a post the refers to them in a positive light.

Modern society is built around normal people having normal sensibilities doing normal things. That McCoy chap et al are the sort of guys who were a bit odd, and a bit sad, at school. You know, pick on them a bit, but can't be bothered to follow up because it is just too easy.

You can't rate them as individuals, and you can't rate them as musicians. And lyricists? You're clutching at the straws that broke the camel's back before the camel was born.

These are the sort of people whose complete lack of self confidence and personal worth end up doing accounts at Wernham Hogg (sp?) or alternatively holidaying in guantanamo bay following joining some extremist organisation to give themselves the sense of self worth they can't find in themselves.
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

For once I agree with CB. I simply liked TSOM. I was not a goth and found all the so called 'goth' stuff s**t. It still is. :von:
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
Clucking Belle
Amphetamine Filth

You can agree with me and still say the straw that broke the camel etc was hopelessly 6th form if you prefer.
Angelchild

Clucking Belle wrote:How can anyone take the Fields of the Nephilim seriously? I mean, what a pretentious load of tosh. Surely, surely you must be embarassed to own a record by them, or author a post the refers to them in a positive light.

Modern society is built around normal people having normal sensibilities doing normal things. That McCoy chap et al are the sort of guys who were a bit odd, and a bit sad, at school. You know, pick on them a bit, but can't be bothered to follow up because it is just too easy.

You can't rate them as individuals, and you can't rate them as musicians. And lyricists? You're clutching at the straws that broke the camel's back before the camel was born.

These are the sort of people whose complete lack of self confidence and personal worth end up doing accounts at Wernham Hogg (sp?) or alternatively holidaying in guantanamo bay following joining some extremist organisation to give themselves the sense of self worth they can't find in themselves.

Were you at school with them to know?
If you were please illuminate further :twisted:
Ich mich in diesem ort"
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

I've always liked the Nephs.

Elizium is a fine album: it has scope, it has grandeur. It may be a bit too much for some listeners, I suppose, but that would depend on the listener.

And yes, I did listen to them a lot when I was in the 6th form. Your point?
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
James Blast
Banned

The case for the defence has but one word m'lud - Elizium
I rest my case.
~ Peter Steele
Angelchild

Thanks Sunsets & Andy for the support :notworthy:
You are both true gentlemen :) :wink:
Ich mich in diesem ort"
mugabe
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Clucking Belle wrote:Modern society is built around normal people having normal sensibilities doing normal things. That McCoy chap et al are the sort of guys who were a bit odd, and a bit sad, at school. You know, pick on them a bit, but can't be bothered to follow up because it is just too easy.
Yeah, conformity rules. Mainstream music rules too. Give us a few pints and some Robbie Williams tunes to sing along to. Then we can bully some odd, pretentious people and have a laugh. What's the matter? Have no humour? Damn freaks.
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
Angelchild

mugabe wrote:
Clucking Belle wrote:Modern society is built around normal people having normal sensibilities doing normal things. That McCoy chap et al are the sort of guys who were a bit odd, and a bit sad, at school. You know, pick on them a bit, but can't be bothered to follow up because it is just too easy.
Yeah, conformity rules. Mainstream music rules too. Give us a few pints and some Robbie Williams tunes to sing along to. Then we can bully some odd, pretentious people and have a laugh. What's the matter? Have no humour? Damn freaks.
Well put Mugabe :notworthy:
BTW your avatars just keep getting better :)
Ich mich in diesem ort"
James Blast
Banned

Twit! look back a few BH
~ Peter Steele
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Red Sunsets wrote:Genesis around the time of Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and especially Live.
You're off again, aren't you Red? Nice one. Just this morning I bought a boot DVD from Montreal in 1974 - quality is a bit AWOL, but the costumes are all there; and a nice gatefold 2CD 'Demos Down On Broadway'. Might go and listen to that now, actually. It certainly looks the part.

And back on topic, Elyzium is a truly corking album. The last two tracks never fail to move me in decidely unmanlike ways.

Dave
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Clucking Belle
Amphetamine Filth

1. On wearing silly clothes

It is ok to go through a pretentious phase at 16, 17 and even your first year of university. After that, poncing about in silly clothes with silly hair cuts is only justified if:

a. You are on your way to a fancy dress party; or

b. You are an internationally renowned rawk star and accept you have to do it for the sake of selling records.

Otherwise, I'm afraid, you look an idiot. The "Nephs" don't fall into (a) or (b) unless you argue that their life is one big fancy dress party which no one can be bothered to attend.

Germans, by the way, get an extra year for dressing up because they're late developers with no sense of humour.

2. On the Nephs

They take themselves far too seriously. That is ok if you are someone who is gifted or has something genuinely interesting to say. Singing about moon childs and a load of tarot card pseudo mystic clap trap is not. Hence, whatever the dubious appeal of their tunes, you are morally bound as a normal member of society to laugh at them.

3. On Robbie Williams

Not a big fan, but do like the Lighthouse Family, which probably makes your point better Mugabe. Being different can be a good thing, and it is right that our society tolerates people who like the "Nephs", no matter how misguided. But the mainstream is what makes society function, and those who knock it very seldom have anything better to offer. It is so easy to "try to be different" for the sake of it, and look a complete twunt. That is why your beloved AE distances himself from anything which could be called "G*th".

4. On freaks

That would be complementary to the sort of people I think you are alluding to. I think non-entity is a better word.

5. On your inevitable outrage

Take a good, long hard look at yourself in the mirror. And ask yourself. In twenty years time, do I want to be like this? Your first step to salvation is to burn your copy of Elizium.
Last edited by Clucking Belle on 10 Jan 2004, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:notworthy:

:roll:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

For CB: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

That was very intelligently and eloquently said. Must be the lawyer in you. :wink:
Clucking Belle
Amphetamine Filth

You cannot start being nice now. I am about to die.