Calling all the good folks of Yorkshire....

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Cool! :notworthy: :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

DerekR wrote:I've found a pet-friendly 'to let' at last :D I'm off to have a look at it on Tuesday - what do you think? Is a converted church goff enough?

No, no, not the whole thing, just a small 1 bedroomed ground floor flat. It should do me for a couple of months anyway and take the pressure off finding somewhere to buy.

Thanks for all the assistance you good, good people :notworthy:
That's georgous :D
Only a paand.
DerekR
Doobie Brother

Sexygoth wrote: That's georgous :D
Thanks, and it's in Leeds too, well almost.

Here

James Blast
Banned

@ DR Way Cool!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Francis
Overbomber

DerekR wrote:Thanks, and it's in Leeds too, well almost.

Here

Holy sh!t

I pick up my colleague every day from near there. And I drive past the John Smiths brewery. If you can master diving out the window as we go over the River Wharfe on the A64, you'd only have about 100 yards to swim to get to work!
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
DerekR
Doobie Brother

Ach well,`I knew it was too good to be true. The flat has fallen through due to a clause in the original leasehold banning pets :( Bugger!

So I'm back to square one, off to look at another property on Brian Crescent in Crossgates, Leeds. Anyone know what this area is like?
Francis
Overbomber

Don't know Crossgates too well. Looks like it might be a bit too close to Seacroft and Gipton (two very dodgy areas) but at the same time it's not a long way away from Scholes (a very sought after little village). If you're renting, probably OK. If you're buying, might need some serious thought and a few nights camped out to check what comes out after dark.

Good luck.
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

I would have to advise staying away from Crossgates. NOT a nice area. My Dad works at Leeds prison & Crossgates is one of 5 places that make up 'The Leeds Zoo...'
Sums it up I guess!
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

Gipton. I haven't heard anyone mention that god-foresaken place in quite a few years.

I used to have dealings with a fellow called "Gipton John". Supplier of metal bars, small firearms and narcotics to the stars. Not a man one trifles with. :o

Crossgates isn't too pretty but it's not the worst place in Leeds. Far from it. But you wouldn't really choose to live there and you wouldn't want to be buying property there, not if you ever wanted to sell it. Purple Light's father seems to have the measure of the place.

Glad to see you're moving to God's own county. Leeds has changed dramatically in the last 15 years but it was always good to me.
Minister of Misinformation and Misdirection.

We first met through a shared view
She loved me and I did too
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Armley?

:cool:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Cross Gates ain't so bad, just a nondescript suburb really. Handy for the motorways, plenty of parkland nearby (bit of pondlife too, but you get that anywhere). It probably is a bit close to Gipton and Halton Moor for its own good. I don't live a million miles away in Great Preston, which is lovely. Well, my house is.

Avoid Garforth, it's overpriced, and is merely a bigger nondescript suburb.

If allowed to choose where to live in / around Leeds, I'd go for Headingley everytime. Marvellous place. Or Great Preston. 8)
If you were asking my opinion then I would say delete that.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

And Great Preston is even closer to Taddy. Whatever you do Derek, make sure you don't end up in Castleford.
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

I'd agree with Headingley. Its nice & only 5 mins from Leeds City Centre. Traffic is ridiculous there though.
There's a few places a bit further than Headingley that way too, Adel, Bramhope, Otley, Guiseley. All the complete opposite of Gipton & the like.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Purple Light wrote:I'd agree with Headingley. Its nice & only 5 mins from Leeds City Centre. Traffic is ridiculous there though.
There's a few places a bit further than Headingley that way too, Adel, Bramhope, Otley, Guiseley. All the complete opposite of Gipton & the like.
Bramhope, PL? Christ, they're all, to a man, stuck-up pseudo snobs. I know a few people from there (mainly friends of the missus) and they're evil. 'The Bramhope Set'. Ouch.

I will happily discriminate against anyone from Bramhope. :lol:
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

FFS Dave wrote:
Purple Light wrote:I'd agree with Headingley. Its nice & only 5 mins from Leeds City Centre. Traffic is ridiculous there though.
Bramhope, PL? Christ, they're all, to a man, stuck-up pseudo snobs. I know a few people from there (mainly friends of the missus) and they're evil. 'The Bramhope Set'. Ouch.

I will happily discriminate against anyone from Bramhope. :lol:
Yeah fair point. I'm an Otley man so there's an Otley vs Bramhope rivalry thing anyway. I was just trying to give it a chance! It always looks nice but I agree, they are a snooty bunch t*ts.
I hate the way they really pronounce the 'H' in the word Bramhope too. Real Yorkies would never do that! :lol:
Mrs. Snowey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

FFS Dave wrote:And Great Preston is even closer to Taddy. Whatever you do Derek, make sure you don't end up in Castleford.
Nowt wrong wi' Cas. Not compared to Normanton (otherwise known as Junction 31 of the M62) anyway ;D
Why do keyboards get so dirty?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Purple Light wrote:I hate the way they really pronounce the 'H' in the word Bramhope too. Real Yorkies would never do that! :lol:
:lol: Similar to the way some people pronounce Harrogate as harrow-gate when, as any fule kno, it's arrer-ge'.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Mrs. Snowey wrote:
FFS Dave wrote:And Great Preston is even closer to Taddy. Whatever you do Derek, make sure you don't end up in Castleford.
Nowt wrong wi' Cas. Not compared to Normanton (otherwise known as Junction 31 of the M62) anyway ;D
Couldn't agree more about Normie. But that doesn't excuse Cas, whose only redeeming feature is the most excellent Lion pub, a dark seedy rock/bikers hangout of the very highest order. Last time I was in there, we were 'befriended' by some bloke who'd 'just got out', apparently after glassing someone who 'he didn't like the look of'. :eek: We stayed on his good side, after thrashing him at pool, of course. 8)
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

markfiend wrote:
Purple Light wrote:I hate the way they really pronounce the 'H' in the word Bramhope too. Real Yorkies would never do that! :lol:
:lol: Similar to the way some people pronounce Harrogate as harrow-gate when, as any fule kno, it's arrer-ge'.
And another one ... RoundHay, or Round'i' ?

We could go on all day. :lol:
Carrie
Amphetamine Filth

Or Slaithwaite in Huddersfield - 'Slough - it'...obviously...
Queen of the mean!
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

why DO people try and southern-ise [place names like that?

its in f*cking yorkshire! its slaithwaite! as in "slay-th-weight" :roll:

if they dont want to live in a place with a northern name, move to bloody bath! or should that be baaaarth? :lol:

snobs ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Wouldn't want to move to Yorkshire anyways.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nort ... efault.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west ... efault.stm

Murder & mayhem. Worse then Northern Ireland - nearly.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:why DO people try and southern-ise [place names like that?

its in f*cking yorkshire! its slaithwaite! as in "slay-th-weight" :roll:

if they dont want to live in a place with a northern name, move to bloody bath! or should that be baaaarth? :lol:

snobs ;)
What you get down here is people trying to posh-ernise a name. There's a town here called Cosham, most people pronounce it Cosh-am. But you get a few saying Cos-ham. I don't know why. Some people also like to emphasise the 't' in Gatwick.

"It's got a 't' in it you know." Well whoop de doo.

Anyway......

To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Francis
Overbomber

Pudsey. Pronounced "Putsey".
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Francis wrote:Pudsey. Pronounced "Putsey".
brat-fudd :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?