MM - "Personal Jesus"

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Andie
Overbomber

just to draw this a little off topic...

personal jesus has been covered a few times by artists less well known than MM...the fact that the artists choose this DM's song to cover was traditionally as an act of hommage to the original artists creative talent...and sometimes possibly as a guide to the direction of the bands musical output...but mainly i think most covers are an attempt to gain public approval and fill your pockets with a possible chart hit/high entry...lets face it...how many classic songs have been covered by artists to generate a sucessful single?...to many to mention...

what i find impossible to understand is why don't bands have the confidence in their own material to release it as a single...and save the covers for live shows and album tracks...

surely a good/great song is still a good/great song no matter who destroys it...i love Personal Jesus...it's a classic song...covered by many bands i suppose really well...but if it's destroyed by one who will nodoubt reap huge benifits from it...hopefully DM will get some decent royalities from this cover version...and good may still come of this...
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
lucretia
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I couldn't stand DM in the first place, so I couldn't care less what MM does to the song - it was s**t when it was released and it's still s**t. MM's cover is completely crap and sounds no different from the original. The Vid is lame and his hair looks bloody ridiculous ...
God help us when he discovers the SOM is all I can say on the matter.
one day at a time
_emma_
Overbomber

dead stars wrote:Interesting, never had thought of the angriest song I've ever heard, but I'm sure I've heard angrier than Body Electric.
I'd say Ribbons. I think it's angry like... no, in fact I think it's way beyond anger!
dee902
Amphetamine Filth

I can do without the Manson cover--especially when DM is my favorite band! :innocent:
My name is Deirdre and I'm a music nerd.
Dan
Overbomber

I saw Depeche Mode at Belga Beach Festival in 1993. Well, I say saw...
I went to see the Sisters, and it was a nice sunny day for all the other bands (I manaded to sleep during some of Van Morrison's set!). Just before Depeche Mode took to the stage the heavens opened. Thunder, lightning, the p!ssing down rain, the works. Then Depeche Mode's intro tape started, which included on-stage effects and sounds to simulate a thunderstorm... only they were being upstaged by the real thing which was about 10 times louder. A few of us braved it for about 2 songs before running back to the coach like drowned rats for shelter.