The band who formed the Merciful Release label!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Red_Kola
Amphetamine Filth

I love a mystery as much as the next man, but can't somebody just ask Gary Marx about this...

CHEERS!
Dan
Overbomber

pikkrong wrote:
Dan wrote:
pikkrong wrote:And what was - for example - MR 05?
MR5 was THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAMERS - 'Life On Earth' 12", released in 1982, nearly 2 years after the Sisters released MR7!
is there any explanation?
:eek:
Erm, at a guess I'd say that in 1980 when both bands released their singles on MR neither was well enough known to come to the attention of each other. Then with their next singles in 1982 someone saw a connection and Impossible Dreamers used a different name for their releases after that. Maybe there was communication between the two and Eldo made them back down, or did he copyright/trade mark the name?

What I'm saying is that it's a complete coincidence that 2 bands decided to use the name Merciful Release in the same year. I suppose we'd need someone to ask Eldritch to find out for sure.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i'd go with dan's suggestion about them being unaware of each other and it being a coincidence.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Petseri
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:i'd go with dan's suggestion about them being unaware of each other and it being a coincidence.
I can not offer any reason to believe that the labels were connected in any way, bt why would Damge Done be numbered 7? Another question for Mr. Marx at some point?

Martin
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Petseri wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:i'd go with dan's suggestion about them being unaware of each other and it being a coincidence.
I can not offer any reason to believe that the labels were connected in any way, bt why would Damge Done be numbered 7? Another question for Mr. Marx at some point?

Martin
ask him yourself ;D

http://www.ghostdance.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

he did mention they he was thinking of joining up here, so that he could answer faq-style stuff on here rather than "clutter" the ghost dance board with sisters-related stuff.

i told him to think carefully otherwise he'd get bombarded by all you sad fan-boys ;) :innocent: :lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Petseri wrote:bt why would Damge Done be numbered 7? Another question for Mr. Marx at some point?

Martin
This is just a guess, but:
markfiend wrote: a) Von and Gary hadn't (initially) intended there to be any more Sisters releases
b) The Damage Done is a 7" single...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
hallucienate
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:i told him to think carefully otherwise he'd get bombarded by all you sad fan-boys ;) :innocent: :lol:
I assume this was inbetween you asking him sad fan-boy questions :innocent: :lol:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

hallucienate wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:i told him to think carefully otherwise he'd get bombarded by all you sad fan-boys ;) :innocent: :lol:
I assume this was inbetween you asking him sad fan-boy questions :innocent: :lol:
yep ;D

actually it was before i after i asked him what size shoes von took, and before i got him to play FALAA on my guitar :lol:

you think i'm kidding? ;) :innocent:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Quiff Boy wrote:...i asked him what size shoes von took...
Go on then? Size five or six I reckon :innocent:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Petseri
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:...i asked him what size shoes von took...
Go on then? Size five or six I reckon :innocent:
With or without points? ;D
Petseri
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote: ask him yourself ;D

http://www.ghostdance.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

he did mention they he was thinking of joining up here, so that he could answer faq-style stuff on here rather than "clutter" the ghost dance board with sisters-related stuff.

i told him to think carefully otherwise he'd get bombarded by all you sad fan-boys ;) :innocent: :lol:
I do not want to bombard the nice man with fan-boy clutter! Besides, you are a cruel man to suggest that we get involved in even more online forums!

I probably will get around to asking there, but with all the familiar names already posting at Ghost Dance, I am sure that someone will beat me to it.

Martin