Help beat Bush

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Dream Weaver
Road Kill

CtrlAltDelete wrote:Quite frankly, I'm sick to death of everyone making condescending remarks about Americans because of a president we did not elect. If it makes you feel better about yourself, if it makes you feel so high and mighty, go ahead and critisize Americans for the actions of a president they didn't elect. But quit trying to hide behind the guise of thinking you know exactly what it going on here. Unless you live in America you haven't got a christ damning clue what's what. Unless you live around Americans you know precisely nil what we're like or what we think. When you make sweeping generalizations and assumptions that have no basis in reality you're proving who the real arrogant bastards are.
Having previously lived on the west coast of America for almost five years I can honestly say that the people there are pretty much like the people here.
As for worrying about who gets elected, I think the whole world is holding it's breath. I mean, the most powerful nation on the planet needs to have a steady finger on the button, not to mention a suitable economic strategist. This country drives the world economy more than any other. Like the guy says, dont make assumptions based on hearsay. Unless you have lived in their culture you dont really know what you are talking about.
Americans love their country and given the choice I would rather live there than here.
..in the wake of
the ship of fools..
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I'm a Brit living in America.

Do I sleep safer in my bed with Saddam gone? Yes.

Do I believe in all his politics? Hell no.

... but who would you have in charge instead? Nadar? Kerry? With the idiots in charge in most European countries, I'm happier with Bush than anyone else.

Oh- why do Europeans hate so much distain for Americans? Thru years of study I can happily report the answer - jealosy:)
CtrlAltDelete
Amphetamine Filth

Dream Weaver wrote:[Like the guy says, dont make assumptions based on hearsay. Unless you have lived in their culture you dont really know what you are talking about.
And I thought adding my picture to the gallery would clear up any gender confusion. I'm a girl :lol: :wink:

But you're right. Most of us Americans do love our country, and it chafes a bit when you're constantly the focus of nonsensical bashing. However, I think it goes without saying that the sensible majority of Americans are less than pleased with the current administration.
I would have done something, but I was overwhelmed by a lack of concern.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

CtrlAltDelete wrote:I think it goes without saying that the sensible majority of Americans are less than pleased with the current administration.
Indeed. I hope you noticed that my comments in this thread have been about Bush's administration, not about Americans as a whole.

Unfortunately for you, much of the rest of the world seems to form its opinion of your country based solely on the actions of the (un)elected leadership :|
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDelete
Amphetamine Filth

nodubmanshouts wrote: I'm happier with Bush than anyone else.
:eek: I think I just died.
Oh- why do Europeans hate so much distain for Americans? Thru years of study I can happily report the answer - jealosy:)
I seriously doubt that. I personally think the problem is peoples want to compartmentalize everything. Let's just shove everything into a tidy little box. It's laziness. It's substantially easier for people to think everything is either black or white, with no grey area at all. God forbid someone should have to think something through logically. It's so much easier to make blanket statements.

Or maybe they do it because that's what all the cool kids are doing.
CtrlAltDelete
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:
CtrlAltDelete wrote:I think it goes without saying that the sensible majority of Americans are less than pleased with the current administration.
Indeed. I hope you noticed that my comments in this thread have been about Bush's administration, not about Americans as a whole.

Unfortunately for you, much of the rest of the world seems to form its opinion of your country based solely on the actions of the (un)elected leadership :|
Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the effort to make that distinction. It's insurmountably frustrating to have the worlds opinion of you resting at the hands of a man who you never chose to represent you. It's especially unwelcoming to experience that sort of hostility on a forum that's supposed to be friendly.

If people are going to hate me, I want it to be because I'm an ill-tempered know-it-all, not because I'm American. :wink:
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

CtrlAltDelete wrote:a president we did not elect
i was wondering how long it would take before someone dragged that old chestnut out. it's an excuse was getting tired by the time of bush's inaugaration.

some 50,456,002 good ol' american boys and girls did vote for george w. admittedly this was somewhat less than the 50,999,897 who plumped for gore* but it's still a whole heap of people who wanted bush to lead the empire. and, most importantly, bush managed to get enough votes in the key states delivering him a victory through the iniquities of the electoral college system. and i'm sure the americans on the board don't need an ignorant brit like me to remind them that bush is far from being the first president to be elected without winning a majority of the popular vote. what it all amounts to is that bush won an election. he was elected. as a side-note, uncle tony's shiny new labour party won a mere 43.55% and 41.41% of the popular vote in our last two elections but you don't hear us bleating on about him not being elected or stealing the premiership.

but let's return to our american 'cousins'. the 2000 census estimates the us population of voting age at 193,376,975. even allowing for the fact that 2,882,955 poor misguided fools thought that president ralph sounded like a good idea (have these people never seen the simpsons?) that still leaves an amazing 89,038,121 unaccounted for. i'm not suggesting that all 89 million would even have been entitled to vote (you've probably got about half of them locked-up) but how many of those now virulently attacking bush couldn't even be bothered to vote four years ago?

*and why are we so sure gore would have been any nicer than bush had he made it to the oval office anyway? it's only taken the british public six years to work out that tony b wasn't the second coming after all...

Sources:
results of the 2000 presidential election
uk election results
census 2000
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
hallucienate
Overbomber

RicheyJames wrote: but let's return to our american 'cousins'. the 2000 census estimates the us population of voting age at 193,376,975. even allowing for the fact that 2,882,955 poor misguided fools thought that president ralph sounded like a good idea (have these people never seen the simpsons?) that still leaves an amazing 89,038,121 unaccounted for. i'm not suggesting that all 89 million would even have been entitled to vote (you've probably got about half of them locked-up) but how many of those now virulently attacking bush couldn't even be bothered to vote four years ago?
I've always thought that this a very important fact, thanks for the numbers :notworthy: :notworthy:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The problem wasn't with the numbers RJ it was with the electoral college vote in Florida (Governor: Jeb Bush).

The "loose chads" and miscounts and so on meant that the Florida electoral college vote was decided by a Florida court which had been largely appointed by the "president's" brother, rather than being decided by the electorate.
RicheyJames wrote:and why are we so sure gore would have been any nicer than bush had he made it to the oval office anyway? it's only taken the british public six years to work out that tony b wasn't the second coming after all...
I find it hard to disagree with that. Unfortunately :innocent:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDelete
Amphetamine Filth

RicheyJames wrote:
CtrlAltDelete wrote:a president we did not elect
i was wondering how long it would take before someone dragged that old chestnut out. it's an excuse was getting tired by the time of bush's inaugaration.

some 50,456,002 good ol' american boys and girls did vote for george w. admittedly this was somewhat less than the 50,999,897 who plumped for gore* but it's still a whole heap of people who wanted bush to lead the empire.
Unfortunately, you have failed to take into account the nearly 3 million votes that were screwed via the electronic voting system in Florida (and I'm being generous by excluding the absentee ballots). I hate to break it to you, but your data is incomplete.

as a side-note, uncle tony's shiny new labour party won a mere 43.55% and 41.41% of the popular vote in our last two elections but you don't hear us bleating on about him not being elected or stealing the premiership.
But your integrity isn't being called into question, now is it? Are you having to defend yourself? Are you being bombarded with Anti-British sentiments? I thought not. That might be the cause of the "bleating".

but how many of those now virulently attacking bush couldn't even be bothered to vote four years ago?
If you were half as smart as you seem to think you are you would know about the tactics that are being used to keep people known to vote democrat out of the voting booths (such as men dressed as plain clothes police officers being posted outside of voting areas in poor neighborhoods illegaly asking for identification when statistics show that 40% of people in poor areas lack drivers liscences. Just as one example) . And if your intelligence gathering were even a little up to par you would know that ex-felons are not allowed to vote. Care to hazard a guess as to how many millions are ex-felons? But your numbers are very pretty.
CtrlAltDelete
Amphetamine Filth

hallucienate wrote:
RicheyJames wrote: but let's return to our american 'cousins'. the 2000 census estimates the us population of voting age at 193,376,975. even allowing for the fact that 2,882,955 poor misguided fools thought that president ralph sounded like a good idea (have these people never seen the simpsons?) that still leaves an amazing 89,038,121 unaccounted for. i'm not suggesting that all 89 million would even have been entitled to vote (you've probably got about half of them locked-up) but how many of those now virulently attacking bush couldn't even be bothered to vote four years ago?
I've always thought that this a very important fact, thanks for the numbers :notworthy: :notworthy:

And this is exactly how fictitous sentiments are spread. His data is incomplete. Did you bother to check the facts yourself? Of course not. If you did you would know his argument is faulty and is only a regurgitation of one piece of the puzzle.

So he spews a falsity, then you in turn relay it to someone else, and then they...and so on, and so forth. And then we're right back at square one.

As silly as it is, I like to have all parts of a story before I go litanizing the "truth". How very naive of me.
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

markfiend wrote:The problem wasn't with the numbers RJ it was with the electoral college vote in Florida
but it does come down to numbers. had gore got the votes elsewhere then the florida result would never have taken on such significance.
hallucienate
Overbomber

CtrlAltDelete wrote:
hallucienate wrote:

And this is exactly how fictitous sentiments are spread. His data is incomplete. Did you bother to check the facts yourself? Of course not. If you did you would know his argument is faulty and is only a regurgitation of one piece of the puzzle.

So he spews a falsity, then you in turn relay it to someone else, and then they...and so on, and so forth. And then we're right back at square one.

As silly as it is, I like to have all parts of a story before I go litanizing the "truth". How very naive of me.
I liked the part where he pointed out voter apathy, a huge section of the voting public couldn't have been harassed into not voting?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

RicheyJames wrote:had gore got the votes elsewhere then the florida result would never have taken on such significance.
Fair enough. But had the Florida vote not been fiddled, then Gore would have won.
—Bertrand Russell
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

CtrlAltDelete wrote:Unfortunately, you have failed to take into account the nearly 3 million votes that were screwed via the electronic voting system in Florida (and I'm being generous by excluding the absentee ballots). I hate to break it to you, but your data is incomplete.
source?
If you were half as smart as you seem to think you are you would know about the tactics that are being used to keep people known to vote democrat out of the voting booths (such as men dressed as plain clothes police officers being posted outside of voting areas in poor neighborhoods illegaly asking for identification when statistics show that 40% of people in poor areas lack drivers liscences. Just as one example) .
source?
And if your intelligence gathering were even a little up to par you would know that ex-felons are not allowed to vote. Care to hazard a guess as to how many millions are ex-felons?
i'm well aware of the status of ex-felons, hence my jibe at half the "missing" voters being locked-up. i'm happy to admit that i've not researched the exact numbers of ex-felons ineligible to vote but perhaps you have?
But your numbers are very pretty.
they also come from quoted sources rather than being bald, unverified claims. and please try to refrain from personal insults it does your argument no favours.
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

CtrlAltDelete wrote:If you did you would know his argument is faulty and is only a regurgitation of one piece of the puzzle.
there's nothing "faulty" about my argument. i merely presented three facts backed by appropraite sources.
gore garnered marginally more popular votes. fact.
bush achieved a slim majority of the electoral college votes. fact.
a large number of people who could have voted (for either candidate) didn't. fact.
whereas i am cynical enough to believe that there is no "truth". particularly in politics.
CorpPunk
Pirate of Penzance

Well, I find it rather useless to bicker about who's to blame for past mistakes, because that tends to prevent people from learning from said mistakes. I also think it's unfair to single out voter apathy in America, because it seems to be endemic to democratic nations these days. Probably because it's not exactly a novelty anymore; we all take democracy for granted. Case in point, voter turnout in the UK general elections in 2001 was only 59.4%, the lowest since 1945. Check out page 16: www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/research/ ... 03-059.pdf.

One very good thing that has come out of the 2000 election disaster is that new-voter registration in the US this year is hitting record highs--after going through an election where county candidate majorities were decided by as little as 500 votes (or less!), people now realize individual votes matter. http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/04/polit ... 466c373d6c (you may not be able to view this article because the Times requires registration--if you're not already registered, go to bugmenot.com for a username and password)

Here's a study that MIT did concerning nationwide voter disenfranchisement mainly due to outdated technology. They concluded that 4-6 million votes were lost in the 2000 election: http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/nr/2001/voting2.html

Here are two articles from CNN covering minority-voter disenfranchisement in Florida during the 2000 election:
http://archives.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITIC ... .election/
http://archives.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITIC ... rida.vote/

And here's a just-breaking story on voter fraud in Nevada that will affect the 2004 election, covered by a local news station: http://www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp ... v=168XRvNe

And a terrific, non-partisan, independent site detailing the facts and inaccuracies of the current presidential campaigns can be found here: www.factcheck.org

And this is just funny: www.needsomewood.us
hallucienate
Overbomber

CorpPunk wrote:Well, I find it rather useless to bicker about who's to blame for past mistakes, because that tends to prevent people from learning from said mistakes. I also think it's unfair to single out voter apathy in America, because it seems to be endemic to democratic nations these days. Probably because it's not exactly a novelty anymore; we all take democracy for granted. Case in point, voter turnout in the UK general elections in 2001 was only 59.4%, the lowest since 1945. Check out page 16: www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/research/ ... 03-059.pdf.
I'm not saying voter apathy is unique to the USA, as you say it's endemic, even here it's happening, even though we've only just had our 3rd real elections. :roll:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I really don't understand voter apathy; even if there's no-one you want to vote for, there must be someone you want to vote against!
—Bertrand Russell
CorpPunk
Pirate of Penzance

Or you could waste your vote in protest by voting third-party (Nader, anyone?).

Everyone knows voting is the cool thing to do. All the rock stars are registering. No hope in dope!

:lol:
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

Dream Weaver wrote: Americans love their country and given the choice I would rather live there than here.
I wish you lived there too!
Only a paand.
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

CtrlAltDelete wrote:
hallucienate wrote:

Well THAT'S going to win you this debate :roll: :roll:

At least you have seen to one thing and it's got nothing to do with the fact you're an American.
Only a paand.
CtrlAltDelete
Amphetamine Filth

RicheyJames wrote:
CtrlAltDelete wrote:Unfortunately, you have failed to take into account the nearly 3 million votes that were screwed via the electronic voting system in Florida (and I'm being generous by excluding the absentee ballots). I hate to break it to you, but your data is incomplete.
source?
CNN.com, NYTimes.com, BBC.co.uk . Actually, if you were to do something as simple as type in 2000 election, electronic votes into a search engine, you would be peresented with thousands of sources for that very commonplace knowledge.

If you were half as smart as you seem to think you are you would know about the tactics that are being used to keep people known to vote democrat out of the voting booths (such as men dressed as plain clothes police officers being posted outside of voting areas in poor neighborhoods illegaly asking for identification when statistics show that 40% of people in poor areas lack drivers liscences. Just as one example) .
source?
Cnn.com, NYTimes.com, BBC.co.uk - Here you go (Taken directly from CNN)...

On Wednesday, the eve of the first presidential debate between Sen. John F. Kerry and President George W. Bush at the University of Miami, the NAACP and People for the American Way announced the results of a new study entitled "The Long Shadow of Jim Crow: Voter Intimidation and Suppression in America."

The report alleges that the Republican Party is attempting to systematically suppress the voting rights of African-Americans.

Ralph G. Neas, president of People for the American Way, said, "Although voter intimidation has not historically been confined to a single political party, we are increasingly concerned about recent incidents indicating that Republican officials may be planning to challenge voters this year based on race."

Neas said, "There is more than one way to deprive people of their right to vote, from systematic and technical problems to inadequate voter education to illegal actions by public officials."

According to New York Times columnist Bob Herbert, “the smell of voter suppression coming out of Florida is getting stronger.� Herbert pointed out that the Florida Department of Law Enforcement has sent dozens of armed state troopers into the homes of elderly black voters in the city of Orlando in recent months, allegedly pursuing an investigation of voter fraud. The pretext for this obvious attempt at intimidation is an allegation involving absentee ballots that arose during the city’s mayoral election six months ago.

“The officers were armed and in plain clothes,� Herbert reported. “For elderly African-American voters, who remember the terrible torment inflicted on blacks who tried to vote in the South in the 1950s and 60s, the sight of armed police officers coming into their homes to interrogate them about voting is chilling indeed.� As Herbert points out, no charges need ever emerge from this exercise. Many voters have already expressed alarm, as a result of the raids, about using absentee ballots.

Taken from BBC.co.uk...

"Florida requires all voters to produce identification when they vote. Many poorer voters have no driver’s license or other acceptable ID."

Taken from CNN.com...

Another stipulation in the 2002 bill is the requirement that states provide provisional ballots to voters whose names aren’t on the rolls when they arrive to cast their ballots. Voters would then be able to cast a ballot, and officials could determine their eligibility afterward. One problem, however, is that many states refuse to count a ballot if it is cast in the wrong precinct or congressional district, thus effectively disenfranchising a voter because of an official error. In a recent Chicago election, less than 10 percent of 5,914 provisional ballots were counted.

States are also requiring that voters casting provisional ballots fill out complex affidavits. The time-consuming paperwork amounts to a new kind of literacy test that will have the effect of discouraging voters.

In general, the Republicans are spearheading efforts such as these to suppress the votes of poor people and minority workers, in the expectation that most of these would be cast for the Democrats.

I've got a ton more where this came from. Would you like me to continue?

And if your intelligence gathering were even a little up to par you would know that ex-felons are not allowed to vote. Care to hazard a guess as to how many millions are ex-felons?
i'm well aware of the status of ex-felons, hence my jibe at half the "missing" voters being locked-up. i'm happy to admit that i've not researched the exact numbers of ex-felons ineligible to vote but perhaps you have?
You seem to be missing the point. I'm not even talking about people that are currently locked up. I'm talking about free men walking around who happen to be ex-felons

Taken from BBC.co.uk...

The denial of the right to vote to convicted felons is one of the major techniques of political disenfranchisement. Alabama Republican Party Chairman Marty Connors did not mince words when he declared last year, “As frank as I can be, we’re opposed to [restoring voting rights] because felons don’t tend to vote Republican.�

With the explosive growth of the US prison population in the past 20 years, this is no small question. Forty-eight states deny the right to vote to prison inmates, 33 of these states continue to deny the vote to parolees, and 29 deny it to those on probation. Fourteen states permanently forbid felons from voting, even after they have served their sentences and are no longer on probation or parole. The total of disenfranchised citizens is about 4.7 million. As a result of these provisions, 13 percent of African-American men are denied the right to vote.

The Florida Secretary of State, Glenda Hood, was accused of implementing a plan whose methodology resulted in leaving Hispanic voters, who are more likely to vote Republican, on the rolls, while purging many thousands of black voters.

It was also found that more than 2,100 voters were incorrectly listed on the felon purge list, where Democrats outnumbered Republicans by 3 to 1. Ms. Hood—appointed by Governor Bush to succeed the notorious Katharine Harris, whose rulings contributed to the theft of the 2000 election—claimed ignorance and ditched the felon list. The governor called the list an oversight. The Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights under Law and other groups, however, remained suspicious. “Florida is absolutely committed to blocking voters,� said Barbara Arnwine, the director of the Lawyers Committee.

But your numbers are very pretty.
they also come from quoted sources rather than being bald, unverified claims. .
That's lovely, but you only presented a few bald numbers that only presented one piece of the equation. You do your argument a disservice when you leave out vital information for your convenience. Statistical numbers mean nil when you attempt to camoflauge all the facts surrounding them.
CtrlAltDelete
Amphetamine Filth

@RJ...

Alright, now that you've had more than one person present you with the research you should have done yourself before your diatribe, would you like to add anything to your argument?
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

Oh get off your hot dog stand (soapbox)
Only a paand.