You think you've got problems?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
wintermute
Amphetamine Filth

it seems to me that as much heartbreak and guilt is caused by the public/media reaction as the deed.

baby dies, up goes the cry of 'murder'
baby kept alive, up goes the cry of 'torture'

it's always a hard enough decision for the people at the sharp end, we should respect the feelings of those concerned.
if you can't be supportive, be quiet. they feel bad enough without criticism from the moral high ground

and with respect,
andymackem wrote:How about moderately mentally ill, with additional physical disabilities? Or just a bit funny-looking?
if you can't tell the difference between massively brain-damaged and a bit funny looking then you don't get to sit on the ethics committee.
if there's a doubt, then there is no doubt, if you see what i mean.
a heartfelt belief in miracles does not count as a doubt
then he takes your hand in some strange californian handshake and breaks the bone
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

wintermute wrote:and with respect,
andymackem wrote:How about moderately mentally ill, with additional physical disabilities? Or just a bit funny-looking?
if you can't tell the difference between massively brain-damaged and a bit funny looking then you don't get to sit on the ethics committee.
if there's a doubt, then there is no doubt, if you see what i mean.
a heartfelt belief in miracles does not count as a doubt
And, with respect, what gives you the right to quantify someone else's distress at the state of their child?

If we are arguing that this family were right because of the unbearable anguish of trying to raise this particular child, fair enough. But I'm sure we can find someone shallow enough to feel that they are suffering great anguish because their kid is a bit funny looking (even though I'd felt that was self-evidently flippant :roll: ). But you wouldn't recognise the distress caused there because you obviously sit on the ethics committee.

Why does a heartfelt belief in miracles not count as a doubt? Who are you to judge someone else's beliefs. With respect.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
wintermute
Amphetamine Filth

andymackem wrote: And, with respect, what gives you the right to quantify someone else's distress at the state of their child?.
well oddly enough, it is my job in part, so i guess you did
andymackem wrote:But I'm sure we can find someone shallow enough to feel that they are suffering great anguish because their kid is a bit funny looking.
just as long as we recognise the fact that they are, in our opinion, shallow. which is in itself a value judgement and needs to be handled gently
andymackem wrote:But you wouldn't recognise the distress caused there because you obviously sit on the ethics committee.
see above

i don't think we are arguing about anything more than the view from different points on the line
then he takes your hand in some strange californian handshake and breaks the bone