Doctor Who - new series

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.

well?

it rocked
70%
it was OK
30%
not like the good old days
No votes

Total votes: 30
Dan
Overbomber

I fully expected it to be absolute crud as the bbc don't exactly fill me with confidence and I expected them to ruin it.
I was proved wrong though and I thought it was great.
Mrs. Snowey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

CellThree wrote:
Mrs. Snowey wrote:
Debaser wrote:And who else heard the spooky Graham Norton and the Strictly another cheapo-made dancing programme, duriong the first 10 mins of the episode??

I KNOW I haven't made it up...the very nice and totally sane people on the Julian Cope forum said so too... :lol: :lol:
Yes. Possibly a cunning plan to make one buy the DVD's anyway. Instead of recording it ;D :innocent:
Or you could have downloaded the one that's being doing the rounds the past couple of weeks and have no tw*t overdubs on it :innocent: :lol:
With my connection? :? I would have still been waiting for it to finish downloading now :roll:

'Course, you could have tried to weed it :innocent: ;D

Black leather jacket <tick> Been waiting gawd knows how long for offishul new release <tick>

Remind you of anyone :lol: :lol:
Why do keyboards get so dirty?
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Mrs. Snowey wrote:Black leather jacket <tick> Been waiting gawd knows how long for offishul new release <tick>

Remind you of anyone :lol: :lol:
An ever-changing string of companions in his adventures, regenerating his look/sound every few years...
&#1072;&#1085;&#1072;&#1088;&#1093;&#1080;&#1103;
Andy TG
Overbomber

I caught it on the repeat (Thanks Again Cell Three ;-))

I thought it was great - actually made me laugh a couple of times. Also it was great to see the "Autons" again and much better that in 1973.

BTW Much of the outside locations, except those involving the London Eye, were filmed in Cardiff City Centre. GO BBC Wales!

If any "Whovians" need directions I am more than Happy to be a Guide

Speaking of Guides - I am SOOOOOOO looking forward to The Hitch Hikers Movie.

I would love to have gone to the Premier on 20th April but they dont appear to let in "The General Public" :-(. And I have been a massive fan since 1982!!!!!
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Chris Eccles and BP were good. The story wasn't the greatest, but hey - it was different! Can't wait for the Daleks.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Andy TG wrote: Speaking of Guides - I am SOOOOOOO looking forward to The Hitch Hikers Movie.
Absolutely. :notworthy: I didn't even know there was a film in the offing til I saw the trailer last week. Which was corking. :notworthy:

So obviously, as in by now traditional, the film'll probably be s**t. :? But we hope not.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Dan
Overbomber

FFS Dave wrote:So obviously, as in by now traditional, the film'll probably be s**t. :? But we hope not.
Yes, I have been hearing worrying things about the film. It's already had test screenings so hopefully they'll take notice of the criticism and remove the worst parts. I'm more looking forward to the radio series of the last 2 books, it's taken as read that the yanks will mess up the film. If they don't it's a bonus.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I thought it was grand. I am thoroughly looking forward to next Saturday. And to a new generation of kiddies thinking it is cool to look brooding whilst wearing black leather jackets.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

Where's the 'utterly pointless' or 'Sorry. I'm not ten years old. I don't get it' options?

You're going on the assumption here that A. people like it or at least B. Used to like it!
Only a paand.
Thea
Overbomber

I was pleasantly surprised.
Wasn't too impressed at the start, a bit too much "gritty BBC drama".
new Doctor isn't perfect, but get the feeling he'll settle into the role and all will be well. Gotta say I loved his utter apathy at the Rose's chav mum flirting with him :lol: That's how the Doctor should be.
nice to see they've noticed there arn't actaully any police boxes anymore, and worked it into the plot. But he did appeer to have a sonic screwdriver - and no explination as to how he got that back.
It wasn't the best thing ever, but with a few tweaks, it could be very, very good.
Thea
Overbomber

Mrs RicheyJames wrote:Where's the 'utterly pointless' or 'Sorry. I'm not ten years old. I don't get it' options?

You're going on the assumption here that A. people like it or at least B. Used to like it!
So it went over your head did it? :roll:
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

d00mw0lf wrote:
Mrs RicheyJames wrote:Where's the 'utterly pointless' or 'Sorry. I'm not ten years old. I don't get it' options?

NO! What I mean is, I don't get the hype. It was childish and pathetic.
Only a paand.
Thea
Overbomber

Mrs RicheyJames wrote:
d00mw0lf wrote:

NO! What I mean is, I don't get the hype. It was childish and pathetic.
But it's WHO we're talking about. The best telly show ever.
Considering the last thing we got was that bloody Paul McGann movie, this was a blessing from the mighty telly gods!
ok, so it was no Shada* or battlefield, but it was WHO. and on telly. And people watched it!
THE GEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH!

*i know, but even in that state it's a masterpeice.
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

d00mw0lf wrote: THE GEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH!
It certainly looks that way :roll:
Only a paand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:notworthy: for all concerned in bringing The Doctor back to our screens.

Chris Ecclestone was fab, and I was surprised to discover that Billie Piper can act (well, a bit).

The Autons rocked.

W00t all round.

All together now:
Diggidy-dum diggidy-dum diggidy-dum diggidy-dum diggidy-dum diggidy-dum diggidy-dum diggidy-dum Woo-ooooooooo woo-oooooooooooooo wa wa wa wa wa na naaaaaa
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
ruffers
Overbomber

I used to have virtually all the books of the telly stories so consider myself qualified on this one (for once)

It was.........good. I liked the nods to the original Autons story, replacing the sofa with a wheely bin etc. Ecclestone was good, although I'm a bit worried that he's already talking of bailing out as he doesn't want to get typecast as he made a decent Doctor. Billie Piper did her job.

There is a big worry though and that's show length. It used to be 4-5 twenty minute episodes, enough time to build a half way decent plot. The new format appears to be only half that length (unless stories carry over and I get proved wrong) - I'd much prefer the week by week cliffhanger scenario personally. There was a fair amount of scene setting to get in on Saturday so maybe future episodes will be better but the story, when you actually think about it, was back of a postage stamp stuff.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
smiscandlon
Overbomber

ruffers wrote:There is a big worry though and that's show length. It used to be 4-5 twenty minute episodes, enough time to build a half way decent plot. The new format appears to be only half that length (unless stories carry over and I get proved wrong) - I'd much prefer the week by week cliffhanger scenario personally. There was a fair amount of scene setting to get in on Saturday so maybe future episodes will be better but the story, when you actually think about it, was back of a postage stamp stuff.
Totally agree with you about the new 45-minute format, however I understand that episodes 4/5, 9/10 and 12/13 will be two-parters, which should easily allow for a decent story to be told.

The Auton story did feel a little 'tacked on' to an episode that was basically about introducing/re-introducing the series, the new Doctor, new companion etc. To put that into perspective though, try comparing it with "The Twin Dilemma" or "Time and the Rani"...
&#1072;&#1085;&#1072;&#1088;&#1093;&#1080;&#1103;
Rivers
Amphetamine Filth

I thought it was good. The only draw back for me was it being in filmed in Cardiff. It was strange to see places were I shop on weekends being filled with wandering, mindless dummies........... no hold on, bah :P
And we are nothing but experience in the eyes of nature,
And we will live forever in the eyes of nature.
Black Dahlia
Elegantly Wasted

Though noone will ever replace Peter Davison as my fave doctor *swoon* , I really enjoyed it.

"Do you want to come with me?"

.............................Yes I bloody do!!! :twisted:
Hell is other people
ruffers
Overbomber

Black Dahlia wrote:Though noone will ever replace Peter Davison as my fave doctor *swoon* , I really enjoyed it.

<ruffers almost chokes to death as he splutters out his morning coffee>

Davison? You are having a laugh aren't you? I veer towards Pertwee myself although do recognise the claims of Baker (Tom, obviously).

But Davison.........

<ruffers wanders away, muttering to himself, aghast>
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Black Dahlia
Elegantly Wasted

ruffers wrote:
Black Dahlia wrote:Though noone will ever replace Peter Davison as my fave doctor *swoon* , I really enjoyed it.

<ruffers almost chokes to death as he splutters out his morning coffee>

Davison? You are having a laugh aren't you? I veer towards Pertwee myself although do recognise the claims of Baker (Tom, obviously).

But Davison.........

<ruffers wanders away, muttering to himself, aghast>

I cant help it ! I was about 11 :oops: That floppy fringe , the outfit, the way he said "Braveheart Tegan" . I've had a thing about men in cricket outfits ever since...

Oh God. Too much information there!
Hell is other people
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I've had a thing about men in cricket outfits ever since...
:eek:

I actually quite liked Sylvestor McCoy, I thought Time and The Rani was pretty good.

And Sophie Aldred. Mmmm. 8)
Francis
Overbomber

smiscandlon wrote:depth to the storytelling
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:roll:
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Big Si
School Bully

timsinister wrote:
I've had a thing about men in cricket outfits ever since...
:eek:

I actually quite liked Sylvestor McCoy, I thought Time and The Rani was pretty good.

And Sophie Aldred. Mmmm. 8)
Poor Colin Baker never stood a chance. I agree I thought Sly was very good, but No. 1 Doc of all time has to be -

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Thea
Overbomber

I liked Colin baker - he was a proper crazy bastard. he was the regeneration that went wrong. And, of course, he had the utterly unapproachable trial of a timelord storyline (has anyone actually sat and watched the whole thing, all the way through? Great way to waste six hours)
Tom was classic too - absolute master. he made the doctor his own. It just seems a bit too easy to say he's my favorite. Peter Davison was always a bit too wussy-looking. Ok, so other docs didn't exactly look like your average hero either, but they were all at least angry or grumpy or far too clever for their own good. Davison... i just wouldn't trust him to save MY universe. He alwys looked like he was about to apologise to the bad guys "Oh, you really want this planet? well, ok then, sorry to bother you and your big guns" Ain't gonna work is it?
Sylvester is so underrated it's untrue. He had that sort of foppish politeness that jon had, tom's eccentric outbursts, the dark, scaryness of colin, the all-knowingness of hartnell.... he was trying to be the perfect doctor and just wasn't given the chance.
Ecclestone is trying a bit too hard at the moment. i like the fact that he's making the effort, but he hasn't made the part his own. i can see that someone's out to try to make him "the next tom" and it won't happen - Tom baker is the only Tom baker. As soon as he accepts that this doctor is a whole new characture, the whole thing will just fall into place beautifully.