Taping this summers' gigs

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

*Wav file here (30.5MB)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
headcleaner2k
Road Kill

Stand right in front of the sound booth, which should provide the optimum vantage point both visually and for a balanced sound mix.

Bring your ipod, which can be cracked for quality kHz recording.
See: http://ipod.hackaday.com/entry/1234000147025394/
(don't forget to do some tests, especially with high volumes).
Of course any good MP3 recorder will do. Even a MiniDV camera in EP mode and a quality mic will suffice.

Last but not least, hide a stereo lav in your Stetson and keep your mouth shut (unless you feel like hollering the odd "Marian" request just for old-time's sake).
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

headcleaner2k wrote:keep your mouth shut (unless you feel like hollering the odd "Marian" request just for old-time's sake).
:notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: 8)

On the Berlin 92 boot, the german's shouting for it sound like they're saying 'R E M'. Confused me for a while, that did. :? :lol:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

To add some info for those who have more money to spend:

I went out yesterday to check out about the DAT-recorders (which I cannot afford anyway :lol:), and the guy at the shop informed me that DAT-recorders are totally outdated, and within a few months they'll be stopping to produce the tapes as well as the recorders... Thus he started to talk to me about an mp2-recorder, which records on a CF-card and is equally expensive as a DAT-recorder (about €1200), and has practically no quality loss...

There seemed to be something new too by Marantz called a 'Whiskey bottle' too, but google doesn't find anything on these, so I don't know...

Still, I would rather be going for the cheaper options, if I'd record anything :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

My two cents: md recorders are what one can afford and they give excellent results. Sharp seem to be the best, as they were especially "designed" for recording purposes. Usually the rec level buttons are on the device (easy access), where as Sony recorders usually "hide" them in that you have to go through the menu to be able to set them. And that's very difficult in a gig situation, when you have no light, and the display isn't lit either. Another advantage of many Sharp recorders is that some have two input "holes", a mic line in and a general line in. As far as I've understood it that gives you the plus, that if the mic line in is too sensitive and you can't adjust the rec levels satisfyingly, you can always use the general line in, which takes 20dbs away from the start, so you have less risks of distorted recordings. Plus: Sony devices usually don't allow you to adjust rec levels while recording, which can be a problem if you're in an "Amsterdam Heineken Hall" situation, where you might have set your levels fine and then it turns out that the sound level of the gig is so loud it blows your mic away.
For the rest: Sony recorders give you very good results too, if you know how to handle them.
The most important thing to consider is, as other people here have pointed out clearly: a good mic! I think unidirectional ones are the best, caused you can protect them better from picking up fan shouting around you and direct them better towards the front where the desired sound comes from. One can find some for reasonable prices (less than € 100), but make sure it's a stereo (obviously) and one that isn't too sensitive. The worst that can happen is having set the rec levels right, having a good recorder and everything, but your mic just isn't able to cope with the sound level of a rock concert. I think the best mics are to be found on the internet and not in shops.

If nobody else (more expert) helps you choose and you don't find anything browsing the internet pm me and I'll tell you my latest conclusions.

One last thing: get practice: go to as many gigs as you can before the serious Sisters situation and play around with your recorder. One needs more time than one might think to get accustomed to handeling it all, being able to set everything in the most unobstrusive way etc. You're doomed if anybody notices what you're doing. One of the nastier reactions of people is to shout in your mic, making it completely impossible to get a decent recording let alone to set the levels etc.

Life is hard... :wink:

Good luck! 8)
You can't fix stupid.
Dan
Overbomber

Eva wrote:One of the nastier reactions of people is to shout in your mic
...or someone near you keeps shouting the same stupid pathetic phrase between every song. :lol:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Please, someone shout "DAMAGE DONE!!" at this gig, eh? Just see what'll happen. :lol:

Or alternatively, 1959, Finland Red Egypt White, or Highschool. ;D