Do you believe in God?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.

Do you believe in God?

Yes
20%
No
53%
I don't know / Not certain / Whatever / This is crap / Etc
28%

Total votes: 40
Delilah
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Obviousman wrote: That's very true, some people believe in the instute church (rather than god, I guess) just because of the need of a structure, which they can't find elsewhere, and believe that's a mayor support for them.
People like belonging to a community. the church is the example of community invented by people who wanted to belong somewhere. It makes them safe and reduces the feelings of isolation and fear... Gives them hope and the new sense of self... Some of them become addicted to going to church every Sunday. That's probably why Marx said that "it is the opium of the people"... :wink:
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

smiscandlon wrote:
smiscandlon wrote:aural evisceration
... and if I ever start a death metal band I now know what to call them.
Damn! Beat me to it! :lol:

Sorry, but that name inspires primal violent urges in me. :wink:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Delilah wrote:That's probably why Marx said that "it is the opium of the people"... :wink:
... because of which started his own religion :lol:
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

I do believe in myself.

Believing in a god is just a reflection of your own self onto an 'icon'.
Which is a nice solution for people NOT believing in themselves ;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
James Blast
Banned

Delilah wrote:That's probably why Marx said that "it is the opium of the people"
when did Gary say that :wink: :innocent:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
boudicca
Sister Midnight

James Blast wrote:
Delilah wrote:That's probably why Marx said that "it is the opium of the people"

(by the way, was it not "the masses"? :innocent: )
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Delilah

James Blast wrote:
:notworthy: :notworthy: :lol: :lol: :lol:

no, not Gary, it was his Grandad, Karl :wink:
Delilah

boudicca wrote:
it depends on the translation... some editions of "Philosophy Of Right" say "masses" some say "people". "Masses" sounds better though...
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Delilah wrote:
boudicca wrote:
it depends on the translation... some editions of "Philosophy Of Right" say "masses" some say "people". "Masses" sounds better though...
You were about to get sent to the back of the class there - but you have redeemed yourself!!! ;D
Delilah

boudicca wrote:
You were about to get sent to the back of the class there - but you have redeemed yourself!!! ;D
:lol: BTW I'm really starting hating the guy. And his friends Weber and Durkheim. Is the whole sociology about how to make simple things sound really complicated? And to write the longest possible sentences one has to read ten times to understand? What a lot of b**cks. ;D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
hallucienate
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky.
you long haired, pot smoking hippy :innocent:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol: Image
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Shadow_Smile
Uw voeten stinken

No I don't think there is GOD (except Alice Cooper :twisted:)

If there there realy is a god, who created us, why do we need to prove us to him ??? he would know, who and how we are. So I think it's allot of bull s**t to give you life to a book that has been written by a Genius !!!

some people believe everything !

I believe in proof, and not a book !
I was quite impressed until I hit the floor,.....Isn’t that what friends are for ?
Black Biscuit
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Do I believe in God? Actually, yes, I guess so, but I don't know what shape or form He (oops, sorry, She!) takes, and I don't pretend to know.

At this stage, I don't know if I ever will know between now and then end of my (current) life. I hope I do.

I got into meditation for a while, but this was when I was in a 7 personal year (in numerology) which is the most 'switched off' introspective, inside-your-own-shell, kind of year. After that, I stopped getting results from it, although I had a few interesting experiences. Meditation probably does help, but it takes you away from our fast-paced workaday Western world.

Affirmations are a little bit more kooky or pseudo-scientific and perhaps cannot replace serious hard work to make your dreams real.

Drinking heaps of strong coffee doesn't help your meditative state either - makes it pretty hard to stop the "infernal chattering of the inner voice". The search for meaning goes on....
.... there is no semblance of rock 'n roll around here!
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Shadow_Smile wrote:some people believe everything !

But then some people say the ultimate proof is the fact there are so many things unprovable...

Although I do agree some people believe too easily :lol:, but I guess those are the admirers , who don't even think about what they're admiring
Shadow_Smile
Uw voeten stinken

Obviousman wrote:
Shadow_Smile wrote:some people believe everything !

But then some people say the ultimate proof is the fact there are so many things unprovable...

Although I do agree some people believe too easily :lol:, but I guess those are the admirers , who don't even think about what they're admiring
hehehehe jaah,

je hebt gekken en gekken :lol:

Naah, als hij daad werkelijk bestaat, laat hem dan maar eens opbezoek komen, pas dan wil ik het geloven tot die tijd is het toch echt Alice Cooper en The Sisters ! :notworthy:
I was quite impressed until I hit the floor,.....Isn’t that what friends are for ?
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Yeehaaaaa 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

It seems like back there in Rome they still don't like our way of thinking :lol:
CNN wrote:Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the church, is often labeled today as a fundamentalism," Ratzinger said during the homily.

"Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and 'swept along by every wind of teaching,' looks like the only attitude acceptable to today's standards," he continued. "We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as for certain and which has as its highest goal one's own ego and one's own desires."
Hopefully, this won't be the way they'll be electing a new pope :|
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

does not recognize anything as for certain
He says that like it's a bad thing?

I can't say for certain that I'm not living in The Matrix or whatever.

A logically constructed world-view is an attempt to rationalise one's sensory data. That this data might be fed into my brain sitting in a jar on some mad scientist's lab-bench somewhere is irrelevant. I must deal with the universe in which I appear to find myself.

All conclusions should be tentative and subject to revision (or even abandonment) based on new evidence. To do otherwise is to stop thinking.
—Bertrand Russell
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

markfiend wrote:A logically constructed world-view is an attempt to rationalise one's sensory data. That this data might be fed into my brain sitting in a jar on some mad scientist's lab-bench somewhere is irrelevant. I must deal with the universe in which I appear to find myself.

All conclusions should be tentative and subject to revision (or even abandonment) based on new evidence. To do otherwise is to stop thinking.
I like the way you're thinking :D

And, I think too, the rigid way Ratzinger would like us to think, is a dangerous way indeed... It is the ideal way to get dramatic consequences like Bush causes... To be that stuck on ideas will make there'll never be progress, in any way...
boudicca
Sister Midnight

NOTHING IS TRUE.

(everything is permitted) :innocent:

*wanders off, looking spaced out and wacky, to go find Genesis P. Orridge*
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol:
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Greater Poop: Even false things?
Malaclypse the Younger: Even false things are true.
Greater Poop: How can that be?
Malaclypse the Younger: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
fnord
—Bertrand Russell
boudicca
Sister Midnight

markfiend wrote::lol:
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Greater Poop: Even false things?
Malaclypse the Younger: Even false things are true.
Greater Poop: How can that be?
Malaclypse the Younger: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
The statement is flawed. It should be

"Nothing is true, including that. Everything is permitted, but you should probably just ignore I said that because that's not true either. Or is it?"

:lol: :lol: :urff:
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Hhhm I'm not sure, I think I'm to young to make my mind up about religion yet.