18-05-2005 - Already 25 years since Ian Curtis passed away..

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
ruffers
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
ruffers wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote: in ashton-under-lyne awaiting
Nothing extra to say re Ian Curtis RIP, but Ashton Under Lyne is where I was born and raised....
blimey! where abouts?

i'm from oldham. my mate is from ashton & currently lives in droylesden. and the ex mrs qb is from ashton.

center of the world innit? :lol:
Born Ashton General 1967
Lived Hartshead Estate -> 1982, School Ashton Grammar
1982, moved darn sarf innit.

It's the centre of a world certainly..... :lol:

I fear I am derailing the thread :roll:[/u]
Chucking another log on
canon docre
Overbomber

tOM wrote:
Obviousman wrote:
Because, the Joy Division name had something to do with prostitution too, didn't it?
Yep, the name "Joy Division" came from the german "Lust Division" which were the prostitues in the camps of the nazi's (or am I wrong ?). Don't know if they were jewish and forced to prostitute (looks more like rape then ?) themselves, or if it were prostitues who came to the camps to please the nazi's. And I even don't know if it was in WW I or WW II. There will probably some info on the net about it...
Just to make one thing clear: In WWI nazis were not yet invented. :innocent:
aims
Overbomber

If only the allies had bombed the art colleges instead of military targets :innocent:
Big Si
School Bully

Motz wrote:If only the allies had bombed the art colleges instead of military targets :innocent:
But "Mr H" was never accepted to one, which is why many historians believe this set him off on his hate-fuelled resentment towards the rest of non-aryan society. (He hated Bauhaus in particular!)
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
James Blast
Banned

I seem to recall a t-shirt worn by Barry Andrews in his XTC days that read 'I've never been to art school' and as much as I love Mr. Andrews' work with Shriekback, I must reply 'I have'.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

James Blast wrote:I seem to recall a t-shirt worn by Barry Andrews in his XTC days that read 'I've never been to art school' and as much as I love Mr. Andrews' work with Shriekback, I must reply 'I have'.
there seem to be rather a few of us here who have
Francis
Overbomber

Big Si wrote:(Sorry Francis, but I'm often shocked at the things that I can remember!)
No need to apologise, Big Man. I would really like to know if anyone here saw them/ knew of them before he died. James? John? Any other old gits out there? There was a big hullabaloo in the music press after he died and Closer was released (Love Will tear Us Apart was re-released?) and a mate of mine started banging on about them and dragged me in. And then everyone seemed to be citing them as influences. I'm a cynic you see.

And Tony Wilson was always a cnut anyway.
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Big Si
School Bully

Francis wrote:
Big Si wrote:(Sorry Francis, but I'm often shocked at the things that I can remember!)
No need to apologise, Big Man. I would really like to know if anyone here saw them/ knew of them before he died. James? John? Any other old gits out there? There was a big hullabaloo in the music press after he died and Closer was released (Love Will tear Us Apart was re-released?) and a mate of mine started banging on about them and dragged me in. And then everyone seemed to be citing them as influences. I'm a cynic you see.

I know Factory showed the video for Love Will Tear Us Apart on Tiswas (I was 6 and my Big Sista would have been 7 at the time) so I'd probably seen and heard this, but am too young to remember....... :roll:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Francis
Overbomber

Big Si wrote:I was 6
Checking your profile, that would have been after he died then. Sherlock Holmes has nothing on me.
Debaser
Overbomber

Francis wrote:

Is an old gittess - never saw them, as I never really got my act into gear (and they never came to Lincoln :roll: ) And I certainly remember I knew of them before he died. You didn't have to come from Manchester to have heard of them. Finger on the pulse and all that ;) Was revising fer me O levels when I heard of his demise.
Last edited by Debaser on 18 May 2005, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Debaser
Overbomber

Oh by the way....it's also 25 years since Mad Max was released :eek:
Francis
Overbomber

Debaser wrote:Oh by the way....it's also 25 years since Mad Max was released :eek:
I'm a Mad Max 2 man myself. Saw the first one later. Thought it was a bit lame by comparison.
Debaser
Overbomber

BOLLOX to that!

Love and Kisses
Debaser
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Quiff Boy wrote::von:

indeed :notworthy:

and 5 years ago today i was at the witchwood in ashton-under-lyne awaiting my 2nd fave band the chameleons playing together live, after nearly 15 years apart :o

they dedicated one of their songs to mr curtis' memory. i cant remember which one though because i was still reeling after the intro to "swamp thing" :lol: :oops:
:notworthy: you lucky bastard!i'ld love to have seen the highly underrated chameleons,what are they up to now?and was "in shreds" ever put out on an album?i've got a near-terminal version taped off of some b-side 18 odd years ago but i've never seen it on anything else.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Debaser wrote:Oh by the way....it's also 25 years since Mad Max was released :eek:
:eek: :eek: already?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote::von:

indeed :notworthy:

and 5 years ago today i was at the witchwood in ashton-under-lyne awaiting my 2nd fave band the chameleons playing together live, after nearly 15 years apart :o

they dedicated one of their songs to mr curtis' memory. i cant remember which one though because i was still reeling after the intro to "swamp thing" :lol: :oops:
:notworthy: you lucky bastard!i'ld love to have seen the highly underrated chameleons,what are they up to now?and was "in shreds" ever put out on an album?i've got a near-terminal version taped off of some b-side 18 odd years ago but i've never seen it on anything else.
up to? collectively not much as they fell out again :|

individually? a few things... more details on mik's website: http://www.thechameleons.com/

in shreds was on the cd versions "the fan and the bellows" (compilation of early singles), "what does anything mean? basically" (as a bonus track) and also on "return of the roughnecks" (the best of...)

2nd best band on the world :notworthy: :wink:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
culprit
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote:2nd best band on the world
Hard to argue...sorely underrated.
...mmmmmmmmmMMMMMM!....
eastmidswhizzkid

nice one Quiffster;i've not seen acopy of "......(basically)" with it on(its not on mine)but i've not even come across the other two.i'ld say i should get out more but i bet you do all your shopping on t'pooter anyway!(still trying to talk mrswhizzkid into letting me have free rein on her amazon account-god knows she buys enough crap;"slash's snakepit"-i ask you!)

Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:nice one Quiffster;i've not seen acopy of "......(basically)" with it on(its not on mine)but i've not even come across the other two.i'ld say i should get out more but i bet you do all your shopping on t'pooter anyway!(still trying to talk mrswhizzkid into letting me have free rein on her amazon account-god knows she buys enough crap;"slash's snakepit"-i ask you!)
http://www.townsend-records.co.uk/multi ... chameleons

;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Big Si
School Bully

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
eastmidswhizzkid

:notworthy:
cheers dudes:a sensible outfit that accepts real money!much obliged 8)