Mister Whammy is leaving the building

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Delilah
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

In my opinion, being in the Sisters was never a full-time position for Adam, I don't think that he was on retainer with them playing so rarely. So it is obvious that he had to find something else to support himself and his family. I got used to him being in the band, he is very good and distinctive guitarist, but I understand the reasons why he had to move on. In my opinion, Von has 2 choices now:
1. Play the 25th anniversary gig next year and then finish it all
2. Find a new, creative guitarist, start writing some new stuff, forget about the major label, just record, release and tour it - his loyal fans will be behind him, he's got our respect and support, hasn't he?

I hope they will go for a second option - the recent gigs show the sisters as a very strong and amazing live band! 8)
wiscel
Road Kill

I agree with Delilah. To be honest, the quality of the 'new' songs Andrew wrote with Adam never came close to the likes of the songs Andrew wrote with Hussey, Marx. Most of the new songs all sound the same to me. Lots of cockrock powerchord riffs.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Dark wrote:great avatar. . :notworthy:
Agreed m'boy. What an album - second only to Atomiser.

Anyway that wasn't why I posted - Adam is joining the MC5.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

i like them both, but if i had to choose between FALAA vs. post-FALAA material, i'd go for post-FALAA any day. i have no idea how someone can say that the new songs sound the same, to me this is simply not the case.
Of course it's true that the new songs are similar in style just like all FALAA songs are similar in style, but it's actually the FALAA-Hussey songs i like the least, though it's the epic quality they went for them in studio and live that kinda transcends their humble composition and structure.
the Sisters hardly are, nor are meant to be, the same band they were 21 years ago.

But damn, just yesterday i happened to see the tv-live of No Time to Cry and it just reminded me of how brilliant even mediocre Sisters songs can be (and how fantastic E. looked on stage at that time with his hat and shades), the version was much better than the one on the album and i can certainly understand if someone who got in to the band at that era is unable to let go...i'm just glad i'm not stuck myself.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Johnny M
A Very Nice Man

Again, I think Delilah's right. Whether Adam does another 'jobbing' job with MC5 or finds himself a real job with a real touring/recording band who knows?

As for Andy, he needs a guitarist who will bring something new to the band. As I've said, I think Deliliah's hit the nail on the head.
[size=9:7c190484cc]Johnny Boy - JB - Loki - Johnny M

Heartland 14 Jul 03 - 05 Aug 06.[/size:7c190484cc]
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Johnny M wrote:As for Andy, he needs a guitarist who will bring something new to the band. As I've said, I think Deliliah's hit the nail on the head.
something new, something old, something borrowed, something bold :von: :innocent:
Goths have feelings too
Johnny M
A Very Nice Man

paint it black wrote:
Johnny M wrote:As for Andy, he needs a guitarist who will bring something new to the band. As I've said, I think Deliliah's hit the nail on the head.
something new, something old, something borrowed, something bold :von: :innocent:
Baaad man. :von:

You'll spoil the kiddies excitement ... :innocent:
[size=9:7c190484cc]Johnny Boy - JB - Loki - Johnny M

Heartland 14 Jul 03 - 05 Aug 06.[/size:7c190484cc]
Petseri
Overbomber

paint it black wrote:adam left ages ago. he was 'cajoled' into playing this tour. doesn't the offical site site say that :roll:
As much as it states that Sheehan and Varjak have left the band.
paint it black

Petseri wrote:
paint it black wrote:adam left ages ago. he was 'cajoled' into playing this tour. doesn't the offical site site say that :roll:
some people are lucky enough to know more than they're allowed to say :von:
Goths have feelings too
Debaser
Overbomber

paint it black wrote:
Petseri wrote:
some people are lucky enough to know more than they're allowed to say :von:
Don't you need to add a couple of 'nyer, nyer's' after that ;)
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

in short:

the leeds all-stars that are "the elvis presleys from hell" are on the road again.

adam was a member of the sisters

adam is currently jobbing with the sisters and the mc5

chris was jobbing with the sisters, seems to be becoming assimilated and pretty soon should be a member of the sisters

all parties want to record an album. andrew, adam chris... the vibe is that some of the older "new" songs will be present, and some new "new" songs will be written.

other people were approached about the tour before chris, some being old friends. for one reason or another they turned the offer down.

chris was recommended on the back of some studio work he'd done with adam a few years ago.

and i agree with Delilah :D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Silver_Owl
The Don

Quiff Boy wrote:in short:

all parties want to record an album. andrew, adam chris... the vibe is that some of the older "new" songs will be present, and some new "new" songs will be written.

So, do they have interested labels?
And may we ask where you obtained this startling revelation Mr. Q?
I'm excited now. :P
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Silver_Owl
The Don

..and I agree with Delilah too.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
paint it black

the leeds all-stars that are "the elvis presleys from hell" are on the road again.

adam was a member of the sisters

adam is currently jobbing with the sisters and the mc5

chris was jobbing with the sisters, seems to be becoming assimilated and pretty soon should be a member of the sisters

other people were approached about the tour before chris, some being old friends. for one reason or another they turned the offer down.

chris was recommended on the back of some studio work he'd done with adam a few years ago.

@Debs'

hey nonny nonny actually :wink:
Last edited by paint it black on 11 Aug 2005, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Goths have feelings too
paint it black

[little britain] ye know too much QB [/little britain] :lol: :lol:
Goths have feelings too
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

:lol:

all gleaned from talking with various parties - crew members (past & present), band members, and sundry affiliated parties, before and after the leeds & tilburg gigs

they're still filming their gigs - there's a girl called jess who's a crew member on the current tour and she's charged with washing eldritch's undies and recording the shows :lol:

nice work if you can get it :D
Silver_Owl
The Don

Quiff Boy wrote::lol:

all gleaned from talking with various parties - crew members (past & present), band members, and sundry affiliated parties, before and after the leeds & tilburg gigs

they're still filming their gigs - there's a girl called jess who's a crew member on the current tour and she's charged with washing eldritch's undies and recording the shows :lol:

Well thank you anyway QB. It's a faint glimmer of hope at the end of our sorry little tunnel. Here's hoping.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
paint it black

Quiff Boy wrote:
member on the current tour and she's charged with washing eldritch's undies and recording the shows :lol:

what, cleaning von's undies :eek: urrkk :?

yeah, jessie did the 2003 shows too, met her on the seven year itch tour 8)
Goths have feelings too
Debaser
Overbomber

paint it black wrote: the seven year itch tour 8)
Was that due to her choice of washing powder?
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
straylight
Amphetamine Filth

Jessie has been filming these things for years, who knows what happens to them all...

Thank you QB for not being all cloak and dagger. :notworthy: Half the time when people like to hint at things it makes me suspect they actually know nowt.

If it's a secret, hey, don't mention it.

If it's not, pull up a chair.

And keep away from that biological washing powder, it chafes like a good 'un.
twp
Amphetamine Filth

all parties want to record an album. andrew, adam chris...
viva life, i quite like this new Mr Chris. He makes for a slightly odd Sisters, but when have the Sisters at their best been anything other than rather odd.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

twp wrote:

all parties want to record an album. andrew, adam chris...
viva life, i quite like this new Mr Chris. He makes for a slightly odd Sisters, but when have the Sisters at their best been anything other than rather odd.
absolutely.

looking back at some of the people that have come and gone, many of them have caused more than a bit of consternation amongst fans... its just part of what the sisters do:

wayne is hired - everyone mocks and grumbles about "that sad scouser from dead or alive"...

tony is hired - everyone mocks and grumbles about "that lunatic from sigue sigue sputnik"...

chris is hired - many people mock and grumble about "that bizarre chap from robochrist with the comedy sideburns"...

twas ever thus.

i bet you would all grumble more if it was some bland guitarist that nobody would recognise off-stage ;)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Quiff Boy wrote:...some bland guitarist that nobody would recognise off-stage ;)
Andreas? :innocent:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

mike? :D
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Quiff Boy wrote: i bet you would all grumble more if it was some bland guitarist that nobody would recognise off-stage ;)
Exactly the way it seemed at the Apollo in 97 (having singularly failed to recognise Adam with v short hair :roll: ), it looked and sounded like :von: and the faceless session guys.

Glad I was wrong about The Legendary Mr Whammy.

And thanks for the tit-bits Quiffy, though I'm reminded of (just about every) interview from 91-93 which always seemed to start with the words 'we'll start thinking about the new album'.

As I've said before, when I've got a copy in my sweaty mitts, I'll believe it.
'Fragged another moaning sh1tbag'