Fireworks/Christmas/New Year

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

I remember someone accidentally buying a metal Christmas cd once... Don't know exactly why or how it sounded anymore, but I seem to remember it was because their kid (about 6 y.o. at the time) wanted it for some reason... They threw it away afterwards though :lol:

So not all Christmas cds have the same tracklists...

(You know, sometimes I'm even whistling Jingle Bells in the middle of summer... Must've been brainwashed :eek: )
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Obviousman wrote:(You know, sometimes I'm even whistling Jingle Bells in the middle of summer... Must've been brainwashed :eek: )
:lol: You're not the only one...

It does have a killer hook! ;D
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Bloody fireworks :evil:

Poor Dylan (the dogfiend) gets driven mental by them. October and November are a living hell for the poor bugger.

And it doesn't help when some selfish cnut lets some off at 5.30 on Sunday morning and he wouldn't stop barking. Scared him sh1tless.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Obviousman wrote: 'Sinterklaas' (without even all that newbie-Halloween nonsense being out already). it's on September 6th,
Are you on drugs?!?! Must this witch hurt you?

And sticking to the topic...I hate the fireworks! They pollute the air, stink and think of how many hungry children globally could be fed with the money spent to see it go up in smoke?!? :roll:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

James Blast wrote:the fireworks have already started (8 days ago)
aye. started 2 weeks ago here.

which means another god-knows-how-many-months of them being set off day & night, and another god-knows-how-many-months of a very distressed dog.

:evil:

dreadful things - cause distress for pets & much harm for other kids & adults. they're a nuisance & should be banned for non-organised events.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:Bloody fireworks :evil:

Poor Dylan (the dogfiend) gets driven mental by them. October and November are a living hell for the poor bugger.

And it doesn't help when some selfish cnut lets some off at 5.30 on Sunday morning and he wouldn't stop barking. Scared him sh1tless.
eggsakkerly.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Debaser
Overbomber

Fireworks I like...it's the 'boys' attached to them that annoy me. :D :D :D

Is it a rite of passage to buy and light fireworks? I've never lit one (unless you count sparklers - which I don't) However I have been on the receiving end of the carnage caused by throwing 'dead' fireworks into a brazier :) Actually I wasn't hurt apart from having my drinking spliied in the ensuing charge to get away. I've also had to negotiate my way safely across the Arboretum whilst the 'boys' had rockets in their own hand held launcers, pretending that they were on Hamburger Hill :roll:

Charlie may not surf - but he'll get his legs slapped if he doesn't behave!
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Quiff Boy wrote:they're a nuisance & should be banned for non-organised events.
Aye.

Especially when you look at the huge ones you can get from corner shops these days (the size of 100CD spindle tubs and so forth) that say things like "retire at least 100 metres when lit" on the box... and people are letting them off in their back gardens. Now is it just me, or would "retire 100 metres" involve most people going into the next postcode district, never mind still being in their own garden.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

With any hope Darwinisim and natural selection will see the owners of such idiotic genes end up being carbonised. I can hear several rockets going off from the office even now...

:roll:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

MadameButterfly wrote:
Obviousman wrote: 'Sinterklaas' (without even all that newbie-Halloween nonsense being out already). it's on September 6th,
Are you on drugs?!?! Must this witch hurt you?

And sticking to the topic...I hate the fireworks! They pollute the air, stink and think of how many hungry children globally could be fed with the money spent to see it go up in smoke?!? :roll:
Whoops :lol:

December that is, and completely clean by the way :wink: :lol:

I don't necessarily hate fireworks, it can be very nice, if well conducted. It's almost like a concert, you have to conduct it well, and then you can show stunning things.

The stuff people do themselves on the sides of the road is just plain stupid still :roll:

Je bent een rund als je met vuurwerk stunt (you're a cow if you stunt with fireworks - famous Dutch campaign slogan)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Obviousman wrote:Je bent een rund als je met vuurwerk stunt (you're a cow if you stunt with fireworks - famous Dutch campaign slogan)
:lol: A cow...? :urff: :urff: :urff:

...I don't know, you Dutch.... :innocent: :P
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

It certainly loses something in translation...
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

boudicca wrote:
Obviousman wrote:Je bent een rund als je met vuurwerk stunt (you're a cow if you stunt with fireworks - famous Dutch campaign slogan)
:lol: A cow...? :urff: :urff: :urff:

...I don't know, you Dutch.... :innocent: :P
Well I will try and explain it as best I can...this campaign that comes out at the end of the year to warn about fireworks, shows different people, young and old, from all nationalities, and in the dutch way which is to SHOCK people....these are disfigured in some or other way.
Rund and stunt have to rhyme so if you want to translate it, it would be something like "You are a c**t ....with your firework stunt"
Does that make more sense?
that ongoing eternity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

From what I remember from the last time we went to Amsterdam, Dutch advertising is---how can I put it---refreshingly direct in its approach.

An ad I remember for some kind of bread had the following approximate plot:
Man eats bread. Voice-over: "This is real Dutch bread". Film montage of things like clogs, the Netherlands football team, windmills, tulips, etc. etc. Cut back to man who is holding the bread aloft as 'twere some trophy. End of ad.
:notworthy:
—Bertrand Russell
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

markfiend wrote:From what I remember from the last time we went to Amsterdam, Dutch advertising is---how can I put it---refreshingly direct in its approach.

An ad I remember for some kind of bread had the following approximate plot:
Man eats bread. Voice-over: "This is real Dutch bread". Film montage of things like clogs, the Netherlands football team, windmills, tulips, etc. etc. Cut back to man who is holding the bread aloft as 'twere some trophy. End of ad.
:notworthy:
Ah, yes, Dutch adverts are (or perhaps were) the funniest around, Belgian however are the blandest around :roll:

@MB: Thanks for the translation :D
Do you remember the guy with the fleshwound with this sticker on it which said 'keukenmeid'? (Keukenmeid literally means kitchen aid, but it also is a type of fireworks, you probably know them: those screaming bastard things)
Loved that one :notworthy:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

*giggles* oh sure that's why tourists come to Amsterdam...for the television adverts.... :roll: :lol:

Although any new year in Amsterdam or Holland for that matter is an experience you should do at least once in your lifetime! Just to see the adverts.... :wink:
that ongoing eternity
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

when i was an (even more) irresonsible youngster i would have probably gone through a firework chucking stage except i've never been able to equate the rather dull explosions with the relatively high price. this attitude has prevailed into adulthood where the cost seems higher,the explosion duller. even if you spend ,say , a hundred quid on backyard fireworks (and i never,ever would) it's all over in a few minutes and if your lucky the most amazing thing is that nobody's got hurt.
organised displays every time for me.

i only do christmas at all for the kids' benefit, so bollocks to visiting relatives. and all that old toss.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
boudicca
Sister Midnight

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:i only do christmas at all for the kids' benefit, so bollocks to visiting relatives. and all that old toss.
BAH!

:innocent: :lol: :wink:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: so bollocks to visiting relatives. and all that old toss.
Fine sentiment, however unavoidable it may be. And it is unavoidable, since Mand invited every f**ker to ours this year. :eek: :?

Yet another xmas day spent lurking in the garage, 'minding my own business'. :innocent:
'Fragged another moaning sh1tbag'
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

While one of the disadvantages of the dogfiend's neuroses is that we can't have any visitors over for fear of him going postal...

...one of the advantages of the dogfiend's neuroses is that we can't have any visitors over for fear of him going postal.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

it's not at all a case of "bah humbug", i'm just not in the slightest bit religious and i object to having christian celebebrations forced on me by tradition -especially such a commercially hijacked affair as christmas.before i had kids to consider christmas had no relevance beyond all the awful trimmings and false nicety that go with it..but it wouldn't be fair to deprive the kids of what is to them a fun time.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
boudicca
Sister Midnight

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:it's not at all a case of "bah humbug", i'm just not in the slightest bit religious and i object to having christian celebebrations forced on me by tradition -especially such a commercially hijacked affair as christmas.before i had kids to consider christmas had no relevance beyond all the awful trimmings and false nicety that go with it..but it wouldn't be fair to deprive the kids of what is to them a fun time.
See, to me it's an opporchancity to "get Sisters things"... :wink:
Jaimie1980
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Fireworks started a couple of nights ago. Like for many people here, it seems, I just find fireworks a bore.
canon docre
Overbomber

Wtf? Over here fireworks isn't allowed for sale until 29th of December.

:eek:

I guess the past shows that it isn't a wise idea to sell fireworks to Germans too early.

:twisted:
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
hallucienate
Overbomber

canon docre wrote:Wtf? Over here fireworks isn't allowed for sale until 29th of December.

:eek:

I guess the past shows that it isn't a wise idea to sell fireworks to Germans too early.

:twisted:
are you still allowed to aim them at the french though?