April 5th Lisboa

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
Badlander
Overbomber

incognito wrote:The bad: not enough smoke
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Andrew didn't move an inch or said anything. Just the usual bow
at the end.
Still suffering from that cracked rib ? :von:
General consensus at the end was "awful concert, these are not
the sisters I knew...". I only give credit to the ones complaining about not knowing half the songs played. Without a new album I don't think Andrew will manage to drag the same crowd again in the near future.
What the f**k is this forum for ?! :evil:
It's a place where people can get information about the Sissies. It kills me when a bunch of morons go to a Sisters gig for the first time in say ten years, and oh surprise ! It's not exactly how it used to be ! Just move your sorry ass and stay tuned, these 2K6 Sissies didn't pop up out of nowhere. Informed people know times have changed. Just take a look at the goddamn official site for f**k sake !

That was my CBPOB moment. :urff:

And much thanks to vicus for forwarding this post. :notworthy: 8)
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

@Badlander: You shouldn't take that so seriously. I'm not all too pleased with it either but I just shrug at it, if they only play new songs it's not good enough because they 'won't recognise their past' if they only play old ones they 'won't move on'. Think that has always been that way, whichever artist you're talking about...

Thanks vicus indeed :)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
incognito
Road Kill

Badlander wrote:
incognito wrote:The bad: not enough smoke
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey, I was 10mt away from Eldo and the bastard never managed to get out of sight. That's low smoke by anyone's standards.
Badlander wrote:
incognito wrote:Andrew didn't move an inch or said anything. Just the usual bow
at the end.
Still suffering from that cracked rib ? :von:
Most likely. But I would have enjoyed a simple "hello". Some chitchat between the intercourse is always nice.
Badlander wrote:
incognito wrote:General consensus at the end was "awful concert, these are not
the sisters I knew...". I only give credit to the ones complaining about not knowing half the songs played. Without a new album I don't think Andrew will manage to drag the same crowd again in the near future.
What the f**k is this forum for ?! :evil:
It's a place where people can get information about the Sissies. It kills me when a bunch of morons go to a Sisters gig for the first time in say ten years, and oh surprise ! It's not exactly how it used to be ! Just move your sorry ass and stay tuned, these 2K6 Sissies didn't pop up out of nowhere. Informed people know times have changed. Just take a look at the goddamn official site for f**k sake !
Well, I do understand most of them. The first vehicle for transmiting your sound and image to the public is still a record. No record & lots of new songs = puzzled audience. Only interested fans will bother to check out forums and assorted mailing lists for new stuff. Too bad for the masses. I certainly had a great time.

--
Inc (who usually reads the 'other place')
Badlander
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:@Badlander: You shouldn't take that so seriously. I'm not all too pleased with it either but I just shrug at it, if they only play new songs it's not good enough because they 'won't recognise their past' if they only play old ones they 'won't move on'. Think that has always been that way, whichever artist you're talking about...
Do not worry my dear friend, it's just that I get pissed off quite easily when I'm not fully awake yet. :wink: :lol: 8)

And I can understand people being disappointed, what I can't understand is this "They're not goth anymore, therefore they should call it a day" s**t. :urff:

I also think I was listening to The Donnas when I made this post, which may not encourage subtle thinking. ;D
incognito wrote:Only interested fans will bother to check out forums and assorted mailing lists for new stuff. Too bad for the masses. I certainly had a great time.
Sure but why come to HL only after the gig and complain that the whole thing wasn't quite what they'd expected ? It's already happened a couple of times this tour. If they can locate the forum after the gig, they certainly could do that before the show as well and just take a look at the weeding section, for instance. It's most informative, isn't it ? :innocent:
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Badlander wrote: Sure but why come to HL only after the gig and complain that the whole thing wasn't quite what they'd expected ? If they can locate the forum after the gig, they certainly could do that before the show as well and just take a look at the weeding section, for instance. It's most informative, isn't it ? :innocent:
Erh....now I think you ask -way- too much of the audience. The step is probably quite huge between "oh the Sisters are playing my home town in 2 weeks, let's buy tickets" and "ah, there is a forum on the internet for Sisters geeks, let's register, find the weeding section and start sending discs to each other".

I don't have any problem understanding people who want to say their meaning after the gig, and THEN find the forums, even if they didn't care about that before. I'm thankful for all reviews, good or bad. And let's face it, the main problem here is the old "No new release" one we have had since 1993. A release allows for people to change their view of a band. You indeed reap what you sow.
MV
Road Kill

Set list for Lisbon, 05/04/2006

Crash and Burn
Ribbons
Train/Detonation Boulevard
Will I dream
Flood I
Giving Ground
We are the same, Suzanne
Dominion/Mother Russia
Burn
Slept
Romeo Down
Alice
Anaconda
Flood II
Encore 1: Something Fast, Temple of Love
Encore 2: Subnose, Lucretia, Vision Thing

(That's what I remember, the order can be different)

P.S.: It was a great show, with an audience singing and cheering no matter some opinions - It was the 6th show of Sisters in Portugal and it was a success - every one of them).
I know someone that works on the venue so these numbers are correct - attendance: (The room is for 3.000 people - 2.500 attendants yesterday)
Badlander
Overbomber

euphoria wrote: Erh....now I think you ask -way- too much of the audience.
So much for still having faith in the human race. :roll: :wink: :lol:
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

MV wrote:Set list for Lisbon, 05/04/2006

Crash and Burn
Ribbons
Train/Detonation Boulevard
Will I dream
Flood I
Giving Ground
We are the same, Suzanne
Dominion/Mother Russia
Burn
Slept
Romeo Down
Alice
Anaconda
Flood II
Encore 1: Something Fast, Temple of Love
Encore 2: Subnose, Lucretia, Vision Thing

(That's what I remember, the order can be different)

P.S.: It was a great show, with an audience singing and cheering no matter some opinions - It was the 6th show of Sisters in Portugal and it was a success - every one of them).
I know someone that works on the venue so these numbers are correct - attendance: (The room is for 3.000 people - 2.500 attendants yesterday)
Sorry to break up the subject

a) @ MV : i am Greek

b) you are a f**king idiot
incognito
Road Kill

Badlander wrote: Sure but why come to HL only after the gig and complain that the whole thing wasn't quite what they'd expected ? It's already happened a couple of times this tour. If they can locate the forum after the gig, they certainly could do that before the show as well and just take a look at the weeding section, for instance. It's most informative, isn't it ? :innocent:
I don't belive someone will look up an internet forum for the sole purpose of complaining about a concert. Perhaps they're already lurking. But if complaining is a bigger motivation for posting than anything else... well, I won't give'em much credit. Just to clarify things a bit, when I said in the Dominion post that a lot of people didn't enjoy the show, I was basing that opinion on the group I was with and the comments heard all around us. Also in the end I talked to a batch of goths whose opinion was the whole concert was pre-recorded, as in playback *sigh*. Also talked to a few metalheads who did enjoy it but were pissed about the smoke and "weird songs".
euphoria wrote: And let's face it, the main problem here is the old "No new release" one we have had since 1993. A release allows for people to change their view of a band.
Totally agree. Most of my friends aren't net geeks. Not one of them will track down bootlegs and such. They're just common people who used to listen to the Sisters when they were young. So after 15 years they are expecting the same thing they get at a, let's say, Bauhaus concert. A fairly accurate portrait of what once was. Of course they get disapointed.
MV wrote: I know someone that works on the venue so these numbers are correct - attendance: (The room is for 3.000 people - 2.500 attendants yesterday)
I said 1000 but sheep counting was never my thing. Sorry about the rude misinformation.
Silence is platinum wrote: Sorry to break up the subject

a) @ MV : i am Greek

b) you are a f**king idiot
You don't suppose a certain football match last year has something to do with MV's attitude, do you? :innocent:
robertzombie
Overbomber

Is this the first outing of Train/Det.?
moonchild
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

incognito wrote:You don't suppose a certain football match last year has something to do with MV's attitude, do you? :innocent:
Pls, this topic is about a happy thing... don't remind me of that sad day. :evil:

After all the shows i saw (not counting with the 1st one in 1991 of course) this was the one i liked at most. Maybe because i was expecting so much to see it again. Or maybe because Eldritch learned how to say "obrigado". That was a thing to remember. :P

But my "obrigado" goes to Eva, Oli, Jenzi, Scardwel (sorry again), Dead Stars, dtsom, Jenz (hope the name is correct) for the great (but short :( ) time they gave to me. I miss you all already. :notworthy: :notworthy:
And i am so sorry i couldn't be with you all in the after show party. :urff:
Badlander
Overbomber

incognito wrote: I don't belive someone will look up an internet forum for the sole purpose of complaining about a concert. Perhaps they're already lurking. But if complaining is a bigger motivation for posting than anything else... well, I won't give'em much credit.
Sometimes I get the impression some folks join this forum thinking that somehow they'll be able to voice their opinion to the band via HL and make an impact. Guess what ? We have every reason in the world to believe that :von: doesn't give a damn about what goes on around here. It's Dominion that's listed on the official site, not HL, to begin with.
Also in the end I talked to a batch of goths whose opinion was the whole concert was pre-recorded, as in playback *sigh*.
DAT anyone ? :innocent: :lol:
Brad

I am assuming that the Train/Detonation Boulevard medley was in fact Dr. Jeep/Detonation Boulevard?
incognito
Road Kill

robertzombie wrote:Is this the first outing of Train/Det.?
Unless I was already drunk at that point, I heard Jeep/Detonation, not Train.
moonchild wrote: After all the shows i saw (not counting with the 1st one in 1991 of course) this was the one i liked at most.
It was better than the last one at Porto but I still prefer 1999 in Ilha do Ermal. I'm a sucker for summer dusk hours combined with cold beer and a great light show. Anyway, nice to hear you had a great time too.
moonchild

incognito wrote:It was better than the last one at Porto but I still prefer 1999 in Ilha do Ermal. I'm a sucker for summer dusk hours combined with cold beer and a great light show. Anyway, nice to hear you had a great time too.
Well Ermal was very good too, that is a fact, specially by the beauty of the place. But i will never see a show like in 1991. Forever in my heart. :notworthy:

And yes... i had lots of fun (dance, dance, scream, dance, dance.... ;D) like if it was the last gig of them that i see in my life. I enjoyed the moment. :notworthy:
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

i was whit yenzi benzi+friends, eva, moonchild and friend,patstar and simon cardwel cheers to everyone :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

set list:
Crash and Burn
Ribbons
doctor jeep/Detonation Boulevard
Will I dream
Flood I
Giving Ground
We are the same, Suzanne
summer
Dominion/Mother Russia
Burn
Slept
Alice
Anaconda
Romeo Down
Flood II

Something Fast
Lucretia

Subnose
Temple of Love
Vision Thing

perfect venue, great sound(it reminded me to TILBURG show 2005). the theatry was really packed,nearly sold out(the woman that works selling the tickets in the venue told me that)
i really saw the people enjoyed there, there were in a couple of songs a mosh pit that got angry to some people.
the hight lights LUCRETIA,TOP NITE OUT,TEMPLE.VISION THING!!!!!

there´s a new t-shirt in the merchandising stand,the same t-shirt that the usa leg but in the back side whit all the dates(from las vegas to glasgow)

(perhaps the glasgow show hasn´t been confirmed in the oficial web site but the date is in the t-shirt(DON´T WORRY!!!))

i´ve read a moment ago that someone saw that everyone was dissapointing about this show but it is not what i saw,it was a queu in the merchandising store for getting t-shirts after the show and i was almost 30 minutes in the street near to the main door in the venue and every one was quite happy.

i was speaking whit Ben Christo(other time) and I got his signature in my ticket...... great guy!!!!

obvoiusly it is not my tickets(I took this one from one site...)
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

dtsom wrote: there´s a new t-shirt in the merchandising stand,the same t-shirt that the usa leg but in the back side whit all the dates(from las vegas to glasgow)
ne site...)
:eek: All the dates on the back side?? Hope it comes with a magnifying glass then :lol:

Edit: Also, more importantly, this means the guys will have a well-deserved break before they head on with the festival date(s). Such a long break, it seems, that maybe even Andrew should be able to program the Doktor with a brand new piece :)
aims
Overbomber

I hope Come Together and Teachers/OTW make it back into the setlist for England, other than that, the set list looks rather cool 8)
lachert
Overbomber

yeah, cool. a specially like idea of not to play falaa ;D
long live rock'n'roll
mugabe

Badlander wrote:It kills me when a bunch of morons go to a Sisters gig for the first time in say ten years, and oh surprise ! It's not exactly how it used to be!
Morons indeed. It's exactly the way it was ten years ago. In the words of the immortal Jon Bon Jovi: "Only the names have changed".
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
dead stars

Methedrome wrote:I am assuming that the Train/Detonation Boulevard medley was in fact Dr. Jeep/Detonation Boulevard?
Yes. It was indeed Dr. Jeep/Detonation Boulevard.

For the others. Hold your horses, I'm working on the review.
~dead stars still burn~
cultchild
Road Kill

thanks dtsom,
thats what i like to see....facts......
THE LIGHTS ARE DOING SOME STRANGE THINGS TO MY HEAD
dead stars

[also in Dominion]

Lisbon, Coliseu, April 5th 2006, The Sisters of Mercy, review

Last saw the Sisters in Porto, Portugal, 2001. This was a much better gig. I’ve been told the venue is smaller than Porto’s Coliseu and I don’t know if it was close to selling out but it was very, very packed. I had been warned by some posts on Dominion about the excess of smoke so I tried to be at front for a while but it was unbearable. I moved to the back. The floor has an inclination so I could still see the stage, perhaps more comfortably, but I still couldn’t move my arms without hurting anybody. It was that packed.
The smoke was never too much, even from the balconies. Band could be seen through the entire show.
The sound was excellent!!!
Eldritch’s voice was in better shape than usual. I liked particularly Crash & Burn (opening), Will I Dream, Giving Ground and Romeo Down.
Mr. Eldritch was dressed in a long leather jacket (or it looked like leather but these days some of us don’t wear leather anymore so we never know), black pants, a black mail short sleeve over another shirt of undefined light colour. Very charming.
Audience only sang along once, through “Lucretia�. I find it strange. Not even Vision Thing (closing) or Temple of Love was that popular. Weird. Or maybe not that weird. “Floodland� was their best selling album, was it not?
So, overall, the gig was very much what I was expecting. No confusion, no surprise.
Sorry, I lie. One surprise. The guitar players are excellent and their rendering of Snub Nose was superb (playing and jumping on stage, wow, that wasn’t expected in a traditional Sisters of Mercy gig). Congratulations on both of them.
Ben Christo is hot. It is the first time in the story of the Sisters of Mercy there’s a guy on stage hotter than Mr. Eldritch. Ben Christo is too young for me so I guess I’m stuck up with Mr. Eldritch all the same but just for the record… Ben Christo is hot!

What else? Oh, yes, the audience. It was mostly people in their 30s or more. Many faces I hadn’t seen in years. The kind of people that don’t go out anymore because they are married, got fat, have kids, that type of people. No idea how they knew about the gig. There was no promotion except perhaps this or that newspaper. No posters either. While I was alone in the back, trying to find that place to lose oneself/find oneself, listened to some of what they were saying, and this is what. They know there is new material, they listened very carefully to the new songs, and they know it has not been recorded, but they don’t know the songs. They don’t have bootlegs. But they knew a lot about the Sisters current state of line up and setlist, so I can conclude the Portuguese fans are loyal and keep track of things. I’m sure an official release would be a success if people are wiling to pay to listen to new songs they know are not recorded yet. But they were there mostly for the golden oldies.
It was also a week night and people have to work in the morning so it is only natural people were tired after a full day’s work. Actually, the gig was set to start at 9pm. So far, in Portugal, the Sisters have always been punctual and people knew that so they started to show up at 9pm and it was a long wait till 10pm. 10pm is more adequate for a gig in Portugal, no doubt, but it was kind of a blunder to announce it for 9pm.
When I was leaving I noticed there were people disappointed outside and asking for their money back. Now, I find it extremely unfair. Maybe people expect Eldritch to be in his twenties forever. Or maybe they have all sorts of wrong ideas about the band. Goth band, hard rock band, I don’t know what they were expecting. The Goths, however, had a clear idea what to expect. And, of course, more information. But some people really didn’t know what they were going to see, if either the First and Last and Always era, or the Floodland era, or the Vision Thing era. It is unfair people don’t understand things change, bands change, and bands don’t have to look like the videoclip they remember. I think it was mostly it. Some people were expecting the videoclip in *their* particular mind. If some disappointment aroused, that’s the cause, no more.
Maybe the crowd could get more excited if we had more room to move, but we didn’t.
In the end I think Eldritch said “obrigado� instead of the usual “thank you� - (“Obrigado� is “thank you� in Portuguese) – but that was so shy I can’t be certain. Surely sounded like “obrigado�. And that’s all Eldritch said.
I only regret it was so packed and we couldn’t move so everybody had to stand still and hold their view point. Maybe it lacked a bit of mutual involvement because of that. Apart from that, all was great. Till the next time.

Meanwhile,

PUBLISH THE NEW MATERIAL!

Thanks,
DI

@Heartland: nice to meet everyone I haven't met before.
:D
~dead stars still burn~
dead stars

Silence is platinum wrote:Well you know what the say that greeks and portuguese are the same kind of people... :innocent:
We are? How interesting. How so?
~dead stars still burn~
dead stars

vicus wrote:
incognito@dominion wrote: Without a new album I don't think Andrew will manage to
drag the same crowd again in the near future.
Good. Too much crowd. Too many preconceived notions. Too many people that SHOULD have stayed home.
It is my firm opinion.

I'll answer the same in Dominion when I go through the digest and find the particular post.
~dead stars still burn~