What got you into the Sisters then?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Pista
Cureboi

SoundsLikeHeaven wrote:I feel a little out of place here since most of the fans know them from the 80s-90s. I heard Neverland as a soundtrack to American Horror Story; after that I came across This Corrosion which grabbed my attention and Dominion/Mother Russia which was enough to make me fall inlove with the music and AE. I've been utterly fascinated by the entire Gift/Floodland era, I read all the articles and interviews I could get about the Sisters. I can only feel sad about not being born during their peak...
Hello & welcome.
Never too late :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

SoundsLikeHeaven wrote:I feel a little out of place here since most of the fans know them from the 80s-90s. I heard Neverland as a soundtrack to American Horror Story; after that I came across This Corrosion which grabbed my attention and Dominion/Mother Russia which was enough to make me fall in love with the music and AE. I've been utterly fascinated by the entire Gift/Floodland era, I read all the articles and interviews I could get about the Sisters. I can only feel sad about not being born during their peak...
You're welcome here, anyway, SoundsLikeHeaven ... :) ...

it might be slightly consoling to know that the Gift/Floodland-era line-up never played any concerts, anyway ... :wink: ...

Btw, from your preference I guess that YCBTO is not exactly your cup of tea? ...
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

SoundsLikeHeaven wrote:I feel a little out of place here since most of the fans know them from the 80s-90s. I heard Neverland as a soundtrack to American Horror Story; after that I came across This Corrosion which grabbed my attention and Dominion/Mother Russia which was enough to make me fall inlove with the music and AE. I've been utterly fascinated by the entire Gift/Floodland era, I read all the articles and interviews I could get about the Sisters. I can only feel sad about not being born during their peak...
welcome to Heartland. and in a way i envy you because youve got all the discovering and falling in love with (i mean deeply and truly in love) ahaead of you. enjoy. :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Poisonheart
Road Kill

I agree with Eastmidswhizzkid, you get all the discovering and enjoying to do without all the nonsense! It took me decades to start listening again after Hussey joined, which of course means I missed out on loads of cool bits just being awkward, lol!
SoundsLikeHeaven
Road Kill

Thank you guys for the warm welcome! This band with all its singles, albums and history is indeed great to discover and since I'm pretty sure there's not going to be a new album I'm not in a hurry to listen all the albums at once. I haven't heard Vision Thing and FALAL in their entirety but what I've listened from them - I loved.

The only sad part is no one near my age or musical preferences likes them or even heard of them.. that's why I came to this forum.
Being645 wrote: Btw, from your preference I guess that YCBTO is not exactly your cup of tea? ...
Actually, I love it. I haven't yet found a Sisters song that I didn't like :P
Pista
Cureboi

SoundsLikeHeaven wrote: Actually, I love it. I haven't yet found a Sisters song that I didn't like :P
You can stay :D
:notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
radiojamaica
Overbomber

'Allo!

There's no band with a story like The Sisters and I hear time and time again about people (young and old) that just found out about them and are intrigued and will probably get addicted too ;D :notworthy:
in dub we trust
eastmidswhizzkid

SoundsLikeHeaven wrote: The only sad part is no one near my age or musical preferences likes them or even heard of them.. that's why I came to this forum.
although i used to hang around with a few people who liked or even loved the sisters with most of them it was a passing phase or one that diminished with time. until i joined HL i supposed that no-one in the whole world loved the sisters as much as i did. now i'm not so sure.... :lol: :innocent:

Being645
Above the Chemist

SoundsLikeHeaven wrote:
Being645 wrote: Btw, from your preference I guess that YCBTO is not exactly your cup of tea? ...
Actually, I love it. I haven't yet found a Sisters song that I didn't like :P
... :lol: ... me neither ... ;D ;D ;D ... so it's already too late for you to escape ...

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:... you've got all the discovering and falling in love with (i mean deeply and truly in love) ahaead of you. enjoy. :von:
Oh yes ... :) ... seconded. And be glad you're getting it in timewise compressed form ...
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

DOMINION / MOTHER RUSSIA being played at ear splitting volume in the first club I ever went to. Never looked back.
hulterstadsound
Road Kill

September/october 1987 at a "cool" older friend's house in my hometown. I was 14. My "cool" friend had his girlfriend over and they were making out which I thought was outrageous because my life so far had been about home computers and Dungeons and Dragons.
I got my first dose of of both nicotine and Sisters that night. Well, technically it wasn't sisters. My "cool" friend had Gift spinning on the turntable that night. I was blown away by the thundering drum machines. He also had a m*****n poster on the wall, and someone explained to me about the relation between these bands, and that the m*****n was not as cool as the Sisters (which was true of course).
Pista
Cureboi

Hello & welcome to the forums hulterstadsound :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
hulterstadsound
Road Kill

Pista wrote:Hello & welcome to the forums hulterstadsound :)
Thanks! :)
Chaotican
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I'm surprised I didn't answer this years ago, but also glad because the answer has changed so much. :wink:

I was 13, living in a suburb near Oakland and waking up to the world. I didn't like what I found and so I took to periods of long silence, dark clothes, and I always wore a walkman so people wouldn't approach me. I used to put the tapes I'd steal from my older brother in there: Depeche Mode, Tears for Fears, (he had a m*****n tape, too), The Cure and the like. They were fine, but I wasn't really a music person. I'm still not, honestly.

An old friend's sister saw me standing in the corner of the quad at school every day, headphones on. She walked up to me once and said, "Bet you'll like this" and gave me a completely inacurate story about the band while I glared at her and refused to speak. And she handed me First and Last and Always.

I listened to that tape almost exclusively and collected all I could, journeying to SF since nowhere else carried the music. I saw them live for the first time when I was 17 (1991) and still knew next to nothing about the band except that they were in a category totally by themselves. Seeing the show made it all come together and the music has just never lost its relevance to me.

I'm not much of a collector and I don't know all the trivia and associated acts, though I've collected a lot of knowledge over the last 28 years, mostly watching you all talk. The music has always just been something that recalls strength and an odd kind of happiness. I'm finally in a position to go see pretty much any show, any time, and I intend to take advantage of that for as long as I can!
Last edited by Chaotican on 15 Jan 2017, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.
Chaotican

SoundsLikeHeaven wrote:
The only sad part is no one near my age or musical preferences likes them or even heard of them.. that's why I came to this forum.
There are always new fans at every gig. You're not alone You're just rare. :)
Blue Factory
Road Kill

One friend, in some conversation, mentioned The Sisters of Mercy......went to Youtube (which was kind of a new thing back then.....2006)..... opened the first video, which was "Lucretia My Reflection"...... it sounded interesting...but nothing too catchy......then listened some more....and at some point realized that this stuff is addictive in a sort of way.....and well...now listening some obscure live recordings in the search of sound variations :lol:

btw....the mentioned video is still online......last time I checked, It had less than a million views.....now It has 10.....which is good...I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuezNswtRfo
Swinnow
Overbomber

I was working as a waiter in a cocktail bar.....

No seriously, arrived at uni in Leeds in October 1982 and walked three doors down the road to the Faversham. Not long afterwards this tune called 'Alice' was on permanent play on the jukebox and I realised that the odd group of reprobates that inhabited the pub with us had created it. Good times followed 🙂
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
eastmidswhizzkid

MRX027. 'nuff said. :von:

Microcosmia

I guess you could say I first got into the Sisters as a consequence of not liking bacon and cabbage.

In 80's Ireland a lot of nightclubs used to serve food around midnight. Usually this provided a perfect excuse to escape the bland music. The one exception for me was bacon and cabbage night when I would instead wait it out at the seating area at the dancefloor until my friends came back. The club DJ rarely played alternative music, it was more likely to be fluffy pop, so my expectations would have been low. On came a song that immediately caught my interest and, while those already on the dancefloor lost interest and left, out of the shadows came a small group of guys dressed in black. They danced like demons in what I can only describe as a "Cossack" style, arms folded, boots flying, coats swirling. I had no idea what was going on but was willing my friends to get back so as not to miss this, but they didn't. There were few people about and fewer paying attention. As soon as the song finished the guys vanished. I went up to the DJ to ask about the song and he told me it was "Train" by The Sisters of Mercy. I tracked it down soon after in a local record shop and there started my love of the Sisters.

I never saw those guys after that and initially I actually thought this must be how Sister's fans typically danced :lol:

Had it been chicken curry night it could all have been very different.