The all new NEWSWORTHY thread

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Pista
Cureboi

markfiend wrote:All this talk of the Millibands made me wonder...

Do a thousand Millibands make a Band?
Are they related to The Steve Miller Band?
:innocent:

Spotted this one today
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11447095

Now, the whale snot collector is one thing but this...
Public health Prize: Manuel Barbeito (US) and colleagues for determining by experiment that microbes cling to bearded scientists.
Is class.
:lol: :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
czuczu
Overbomber

Is this news?

Dunno, maybe Sports News...

Funny though! :D
Pista
Cureboi

Boring 2010
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 99915.html
Milk tasting

Possibly a first in beverage research, a self-declared expert in all matters lactic will stage a live comparative tasting of different types of milk (whole, semi-skimmed, UHT) from different supermarkets and shops seeking to establish variations in taste, consistency and colour. Audience participation welcomed.
:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Pista wrote:Boring 2010
Milk tasting

Possibly a first in beverage research, a self-declared expert in all matters lactic will stage a live comparative tasting of different types of milk (whole, semi-skimmed, UHT) from different supermarkets and shops seeking to establish variations in taste, consistency and colour. Audience participation welcomed.
But will they be tasting bat milk? :twisted:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

markfiend wrote:
Pista wrote:Boring 2010
Milk tasting

But will they be tasting bat milk? :twisted:
Would that fall into "boring"?
Might be a bit too cutting edge for them really.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

I'm sure you have seen what is happening in Hungary. very sad
Pista
Cureboi

sziamiau wrote:I'm sure you have seen what is happening in Hungary. very sad
As posted elsewhere
Wasn't going to do this, but seeing what's happening just made me snap.

Mal Rt.
The company responsible for a million cubic metres of toxic alumina by- product wiping out a couple of villages, killing 7 people, extinguishing all life in the Marcal river (that isn't counting any animals that drink from it), wiping out all ground based wild life & causing the need to put to sleep hundreds of pets & live stock, just to put them out of their misery.
I have seen video of fields strewn with dead rabbits, sheep & cattle & watching the dogs getting their final injections is heartbreaking.
Even the PM (who is basically a dickhead) came across as genuinely devastated when interviewed on the telly.
Mal Rt. sent a "spokesperson" to the affected areas & he talked to the people from within his car via a loudspeaker!!
Mal Rt have blamed this on the rain fall.
Here you can see an aerial photo of the wall that gave way. A wall made of concrete
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11495540
To give you an idea of the size, the dots on the top left of the wall are people.
BTW. Insurance coverage for such an event was 10m HUF (less than 37k euro)
So, this happened a couple of days ago. People have been given blankets & warm clothes, but can't cook stuff (it's all under the sludge), so people have come from all over the country to cook for these homeless folks.
These villages will never be rebuilt
& Mr Lajos Tolnay (personal wealth 85m euro) hasn't even had the gaul to say "sorry".
It might be well away from where I live, but I am frankly disgusted.
:evil:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Meat Whiplash
Road Kill

Fuckin' big wall that Dude!

I hope you are safe?
It's all such a dreary fiction.
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

when I see this I just wanna fly home and volunteer but can't. it's work and work and that's the life we live..we don't have time to help other people. it's disgusting.
Pista
Cureboi

sziamiau wrote:when I see this I just wanna fly home and volunteer but can't. it's work and work and that's the life we live..we don't have time to help other people. it's disgusting.
The wall's cracking again!

They are trying to fix it right now & Devecser is completely closed off to everyone.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

I know. I talk to my parents every day and watch the news online so I am updated on what is happening. they won't be able to keep the north wall. it's going to go down
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Isn't there an EU Disaster Fund for things like this?:|

No football fan, but I don't get the situation with Liverpool FC. First it's purchased with borrowed money, and the debt dumped on the club itself, basically making it pay for it's own takeover.
Then, a new owner comes along, who doesn't have enough assets of his own to purchase the club, yet claims he'll rid it of debt? Are Liverpool fans so dumb they don't see another leveraged buyout and that they'll be no better off?
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
Pista
Cureboi

Manc plod are on twithead

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-11537806

Love this one
Twitter
gmp24_3:
Call 686 man shouts 'you're gorgeous' to woman #gmp24 [via Twitter]
Thursday October 14, 2010 10:54

edit
didn't take long before someone took the p!ss
http://twitter.com/#!/gmp24_7

:lol: :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pista
Cureboi

Jam~es will like this
What's so wrong with Comic Sans?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11582548
Great for the awnings of toyshops, less good on news websites or on gravestones and the sides of ambulances.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11604193

Martin Freeman to play Bilbo in The Hobbit movies.

Oh god please no. Epic fail.

I can just imagine him tutting and rolling his eyes to camera while Gandalf and Thorin are talking. To call him a one-dimensional actor is an insult to geometry.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
DeWinter

markfiend wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11604193

I can just imagine him tutting and rolling his eyes to camera while Gandalf and Thorin are talking. To call him a one-dimensional actor is an insult to geometry.
What's wrong with bringing back Ian Holm? Age? He can't be that much older than Chris Lee and McKellen..
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:Jam~es will like this
What's so wrong with Comic Sans?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11582548
Great for the awnings of toyshops, less good on news websites or on gravestones and the sides of ambulances.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25315751@N04/4464757271/

:notworthy: :lol: :notworthy:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

DeWinter wrote:

What's wrong with bringing back Ian Holm? Age? He can't be that much older than Chris Lee and McKellen..
Agreed, totally.

According to Wikipedia he's between those two in age:

Christopher Lee born 27 May 1922
Ian Holm born 12 Sept 1931
Ian McKellen born 25 May 1939

Edit: although, Holm plays an older Bilbo in LOTR—he's "eleventy-one" at the Party, whereas during the events of The Hobbit he's in his early 50s—about the same age as Frodo when he undertakes the Ring Quest—and so probably someone around the same age as Elijah Wood?
—Bertrand Russell
DeWinter

markfiend wrote:
Edit: although, Holm plays an older Bilbo in LOTR—he's "eleventy-one" at the Party, whereas during the events of The Hobbit he's in his early 50s—about the same age as Frodo when he undertakes the Ring Quest—and so probably someone around the same age as Elijah Wood?
Hmm, but isn't it said "he hasn't aged a day" since Gandalf last saw him? I guess it's going to be like Star Wars and in ten years they'll release a special version with Holm's face digitally replaced replaced!
Big Si
School Bully

markfiend wrote:
DeWinter wrote:

Agreed, totally.

According to Wikipedia he's between those two in age:

Christopher Lee born 27 May 1922
Ian Holm born 12 Sept 1931
Ian McKellen born 25 May 1939

I'd like to see Ian Holm in it as well, but according to imdb he's still a very busy actor*. I believe it's a combination of him being unavailable and the production teams desire for a younger actor to play the role that it's been given to Freeman.

Looking at Bilbo's character in The Hobbit, he was a very stuck up, foppish kind of individual that you could imagine Frodo and the rest playing pranks on all of the time. It's the journey to the Lonely Mountain, the adventures and finding the Ring itself that transform him into the world weary character that Holm portrayed in LOTR. So perhaps someone like Freeman would be good in the role. I'd actually prefer Richard Coyle who I found perfect as Moist von Lipwig in Going Postal (and his portrayal as Geoff in Coupling :wink:).

* For the film 'Mute Witness' which was done entirely in Moscow, Sir Alec Guinness had promised to portray the Russian mob boss 'The Reaper' but was so busy with work that the Director had to film his scene in Heathrow Car Park - Sir Alec was between international flights and otherwise fully booked up with film projects
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
DeWinter

I was mildly disappointed with "Going Postal". Television adaptions of Pratchett fail by A) not doing any of the Witches stories, and B) continually NOT hiring Brian Blessed to play Mustrum Ridcully.
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

EvilBastard
Overbomber

I hear they're going to clone him. In keeping with current nomenclature, the clone is going to be known as a Xeroxtopus.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Meat Whiplash
Road Kill

DeWinter wrote:I was mildly disappointed with "Going Postal". Television adaptions of Pratchett fail by A) not doing any of the Witches stories, and B) continually NOT hiring Brian Blessed to play Mustrum Ridcully.
BLAH you're such a poo-pooer, tell me something good