Wayne on the Sisters.....

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
H. Blackrose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

DeWinter wrote: I suppose Wayne would say the same thing about his lyrics. Although I can well believe he bought a copy of "The Monster Book of British Legends" for the lyrics of "Deliverance".
No, the lyrics to "Deliverance" are taken straight from The Mists of Avalon, a book beloved by the kind of teenage girls and men-who-think-like-teenage-girls who now embrace Twilight. That shows you where Hussey comes from lyrically.

Von's description of Hussey's lyrics as "feebleminded" strikes very true for me. Either a bunch of clichés strung together, or mawkish, emotionally manipulative crap like "Amelia". But of course I think Von's a brilliant lyricist, no matter what you think of him as a person or a bandleader.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
DeWinter

H. Blackrose wrote: No, the lyrics to "Deliverance" are taken straight from The Mists of Avalon, a book beloved by the kind of teenage girls and men-who-think-like-teenage-girls who now embrace Twilight. That shows you where Hussey comes from lyrically.

Von's description of Hussey's lyrics as "feebleminded" strikes very true for me. Either a bunch of clichés strung together, or mawkish, emotionally manipulative crap like "Amelia". But of course I think Von's a brilliant lyricist, no matter what you think of him as a person or a bandleader.
I have actually read "The Mists of Avalon" as it happens. £0.69p from the Lindsey Lodge Hospice store in Sc@nthorpe! Was readable, Morte 'Arthur by Mills & Boon. "Twilight" I tried to read and couldn't, far too badly written, although still better than "The Vampire Diaries". A mildly amusing tv show yet dire set of books. I stopped reading after a character claimed her "great-granma was a Druid back in Scotland". I suppose it counters True Blood being god-awful yet the books they're based on being really rather fun..
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
playboy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote:
Dr Poo wrote:
Being645 wrote:As far as I can see, Wayne has never given a damn about Andrew.
What absolute tripe.
Many of Wayne's songs reference the break-up with :von: in the lyrics:
'Wake', 'Let Sleeping Dogs Die', 'Child's Play', 'Mercenary' and 'Bridges Burning' are just a few of them.
Do your research!
Oh yes, I can almost feel how much he cared and for whom, i.e.what! Thanks.
And Andrew wrote Giving Ground, a few other hints on Gift and This Corrosion with Wayne in mind.... I almost feel how much he cared for Wayne as well...
lachert
Overbomber

playboy wrote:
Being645 wrote:
Dr Poo wrote: What absolute tripe.
'Wake', 'Let Sleeping Dogs Die', 'Child's Play', 'Mercenary' and 'Bridges Burning' are just a few of them.
Do your research!
Oh yes, I can almost feel how much he cared and for whom, i.e.what! Thanks.
And Andrew wrote Giving Ground, a few other hints on Gift and This Corrosion with Wayne in mind.... I almost feel how much he cared for Wayne as well...
maybe there was something between them :innocent: normal people don't keep it longer then for next s**t :lol: good god :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

lachert wrote:maybe there was something between them :innocent: normal people don't keep it longer then for next s**t :lol: good god :lol:
I've always wondered about that. Possibly unrequited lust on Wayne's part? :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:
lachert wrote:maybe there was something between them :innocent: normal people don't keep it longer then for next s**t :lol: good god :lol:
I've always wondered about that. Possibly unrequited lust on Wayne's part? :lol:
I don't know what that just meant, markfiend, but having just spotted your RAW signature it doesn't really matter because I'll be disinclined to disagree with anything you ever say again from here on in... :)
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

Re: above - Maybe... :eek:
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
mh
Above the Chemist

Dr Poo wrote:
What absolute tripe.
Do your research!
I always thought that Mercenary was about the road crew who went back to the Sisters in 89/90: Pete Turner & co.

And Child's Play was just a load of incoherent yelling. Not even good incoherent yelling, mind. :twisted:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Whether or not PiB has his tongue firmly in his cheek, it's certainly the case that "God's Own Medicine" and "I still believe in god but god no longer believes in me" are references to :von:
I always thought that "God's Own Medicine" was a reference to Cocaine,derived from the quote from Sir William Osler who referred to Opium with the same title.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
playboy

markfiend wrote:
No, it was unrequited lust on Andrews part.
playboy

mh wrote:
Dr Poo wrote:
What absolute tripe.
Do your research!
I always thought that Mercenary was about the road crew who went back to the Sisters in 89/90: Pete Turner & co.

And Child's Play was just a load of incoherent yelling. Not even good incoherent yelling, mind. :twisted:
It is about the roadcrew.
playboy

ribbons69 wrote:
markfiend wrote:Whether or not PiB has his tongue firmly in his cheek, it's certainly the case that "God's Own Medicine" and "I still believe in god but god no longer believes in me" are references to :von:
I always thought that "God's Own Medicine" was a reference to Cocaine,derived from the quote from Sir William Osler who referred to Opium with the same title.
This is also right. It is a reference to Cocaine, and has absolutely nothing to do with andrew (though a few sisters fans believes that EVERYTHING is about andrew........).
The only song written with andrew in mind was Wake.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

playboy wrote:
ribbons69 wrote:
This is also right. It is a reference to Cocaine, and has absolutely nothing to do with andrew (though a few sisters fans believes that EVERYTHING is about andrew........).
surely serpents kiss :)

or have we answered the is 'von gay question' now :von:
Goths have feelings too
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

paint it black wrote: or have we answered the is 'von gay question' now :von:
well i can tell you for fact he is not!
and he has an interesting taste in women :wink:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

mh wrote:
Dr Poo wrote:
What absolute tripe.
Do your research!

Mercenary is about the road crew but it's about Wayne's annoyance at who they went back to, so sort of related to the break-up.

Child's Play is about cocaine. Dunno how you got that as a Von reference.

I don't think Let Sleeping Dogs Die or Bridges Burning are specifically about the Sisters, just about letting the past lie (which is a bit of a cheek from the guy who wrote the invective of Mercenary several years later).
Dr Poo
Amphetamine Filth

stufarq wrote: Child's Play is about cocaine. Dunno how you got that as a Von reference.
Admittedly it's just my opinion, but the lyrics kind of fit.
stufarq wrote:I don't think Let Sleeping Dogs Die or Bridges Burning are specifically about the Sisters, just about letting the past lie
Wayne has stated that they are about :von: and the split with :von: but I can't be arsed to find the references - try MWIS forum ;)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

playboy wrote:
ribbons69 wrote:
You are That Guitarist and I claim my five pounds ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Wiki Wizard

stufarq wrote: I don't think Let Sleeping Dogs Die ... about the Sisters, just about letting the past lie ...
The song is titled Let Sleeping Dogs Die ... i.e.: "let" - "sleeping" - "dogs" - "die" ... insofar wishful thinking ... which, IMHO, can well account for the rest of the "lyrics" of that song ...

But yeah, someone had to keep the "promises" to the following and ... :urff: ...

No wonder, Von stepped out from that sort of activity ... how ever impressed he might have been in the beginning.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Dr Poo wrote:
stufarq wrote: Child's Play is about cocaine. Dunno how you got that as a Von reference.
Admittedly it's just my opinion, but the lyrics kind of fit.
Really can't see it.
Dr Poo wrote:
stufarq wrote:I don't think Let Sleeping Dogs Die or Bridges Burning are specifically about the Sisters, just about letting the past lie
Wayne has stated that they are about :von: and the split with :von: but I can't be arsed to find the references - try MWIS forum ;)
Has he? Fair enough.
playboy

lachert wrote:
playboy wrote:
Being645 wrote: Oh yes, I can almost feel how much he cared and for whom, i.e.what! Thanks.
maybe there was something between them :innocent: normal people don't keep it longer then for next s**t :lol: good god :lol:
Maybe there was something..... Andrew may wanted more.... when Wayne was busy recording albums and touring the world Andrew was busy taking drugs and making, first, a very odd album with not the brightest lyrics called Gift under the name Sisterhood to stop his former love, I meen bandmate, to call his band that, and included was a song which he wrote about Wayne and also releases as a single. More hints to Wayne can be found on that record. Then he did his next single, This Corrosion, which was about........ Wayne. The "band" was Andrew and a female who sang a few words (maybe) and played a few notes on the bass (maybe). They called themselves The Sisters Of Mercy....
Three years later, Wayne was still busy recording records and touring the world, Andrew took a german lad, a bloke from Sigue Sigue Sputnik, and a guitarist who has played with... The m*****n! He called his new band The Sisters Of Mercy. This was to be the last record....

The name is still used by Andrew, no matter which other is in the band. He did what some say Wayne was trying to do, "steal" the name and use it after the band broke up. Lucky for all fans that Gary couldn´t give a f**k, after all, it was Garys "band" from the beginning...
playboy

markfiend wrote:
playboy wrote:
ribbons69 wrote: I always thought that "God's Own Medicine" was a reference to Cocaine,derived from the quote from Sir William Osler who referred to Opium with the same title.
You are That Guitarist and I claim my five pounds ;D
Give me your address and I will mail them. The cost for posting them, about six pund, will be payed by you of course....
centurionofprix

How is Eldritch's continuing to use the name of a band in which he was a founding member -after the other founding member chose to resign himself from the band, leaving it to Eldritch, and after the other members also left- the same as Hussey splitting from the Sisters after a year in the band but still trying to profit off the name? Without even judging Wayne's actions around his departure, it's ridiculous to consider Eldritch to have stolen the name. Eldritch didn't join Gary and Wayne's group, leave it, and then keep leeching off the name.

PS. The lyrics to Gift kick, anyway, and the baseless soap opera speculation is kind of sad though rather funny.
playboy

centurionofprix wrote:How is Eldritch's continuing to use the name of a band in which he was a founding member -after the other founding member chose to resign himself from the band, leaving it to Eldritch, and after the other members also left- the same as Hussey splitting from the Sisters after a year in the band but still trying to profit off the name? Without even judging Wayne's actions around his departure, it's ridiculous to consider Eldritch to have stolen the name. Eldritch didn't join Gary and Wayne's group, leave it, and then keep leeching off the name.

PS. The lyrics to Gift kick, anyway, and the baseless soap opera speculation is kind of sad though rather funny.
I give you right concerning the name.
What I meant was that I find it somewhat sad to keep the name after the band is gone and all members (except the singer) are gone. The band was not put on hold, I still have cuttings about the split. The band was over, according to Andrew.
Nevertheless, it was a completely new band that did Vision Thing. New members, rather new sound. But in order to sell record and/or maybe for contractual reasons they were called The Sisters Of Mercy. Also the more or less solorecord Floodland was labelled as The Sisters Of Mercy.
I don´t know if you remember what made Sisters as popular as they became. It was the sound, the special way the guitars were played, one guitarist often played very clever melodies all over the songs, the sound of the guitars and bass became a trademark and you could hear a song instrumental and you knew it was the Sisters.
It was very influental on many bands that followed

Today that sound is gone, the trademark guitars are gone, the bass is gone (!), the melodies are gone.
Songs like Crash And Burn may be a good song, but very very few, most likely none, would guess that it was the Sisters, hearing it instrumental.
The sound is hardly new and the songs hardly as classical (if they were, there would be a lot of big record companies that would give Andrew the amount of money he craves for).
As said, a lot of bands copied the old sound and it is a fact that the Sisters sound was important. I wonder how a band that copied todays Sisters would sound like. Most of all I would wonder why anyone would want to do it...

Still, it is only tunes, music is music, taste is taste. And I can still enjoy going to a gig and listen to some old classics, performed by the man who sang the songs on the records. And two lads on guitar that celebrated their 10th birthday when Andrew released his latest album.
I still enjoy it. I can live with fact that it still says The Sisters Of Mercy on the posters and on the ticket. Of course I know it´s not. Some want it to be The Sisters Of Mercy. And with the lights and the smoke it is ok to living the dream.

"In illusion comfort lies"

One more thing... which of the lyrics on Gift kicks?
iesus
Overbomber

"2 5 0 0 0"

lyric is one of the best
;D
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
gallup
Road Kill

playboy wrote:I give you right concerning the name.
What I meant was that I find it somewhat sad to keep the name after the band is gone and all members (except the singer) are gone.
fields of the nephilim anybody? i think von (as well as mccoy) made the bands what they are and when somebody thinks about the sisters of mercy he is hardly thinking about wayne or gary (and to be perfectly clear i like their "succesor" bands very much and the bands of wright brothers too). on the other hand, wayne and co. are the ones of those who actually achieved SOMETHING after the farewell with the alpha brain (in comparisson with rubicon, last rites, ghost dance, fools dance, presence, levinhurst...and many more)