Geek Anvil (currently geeking...)

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

;D :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

markfiend wrote:Heh. But your sig says the cake is a lie!
And your sig says it's the 11st today, iz eet German or vut? ;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol: must be a bug in the Suse implementation of ddate.

On my Ubuntu box I got "Today is Sweetmorn, the 11th of Chaos, 3178. Wibble."
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i think it's funnier that its says 11st :D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Quiff Boy wrote:i think it's funnier that its says 11st :D
Today is the elevenst!

Yeah actually ;D

I wonder if tomorrow will be the twelvend?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

OMG I'm an idiot.

Looking through the files on the php project I'm working on, I thought it would be a good idea to generate a list of where every function is defined. So...

Code: Select all

find . | xargs grep function > function_list.txt
All was going well until 'find .' found function_list.txt. It had grown to over 4GB before I noticed :oops:

The correct bash command was of course...

Code: Select all

find . -name *.php | xargs grep function > function_list.txt
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy

markfiend wrote:I wonder if tomorrow will be the twelvend?
Yeap! ;D

IZ.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
markfiend wrote:I wonder if tomorrow will be the twelvend?
Yeap! ;D

IZ.
13rd tomorrow then ;D

Edit: Thirteenird?
—Bertrand Russell
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

pffftt. it's the thirteenthst, as any fule no.
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
sultan2075
Overbomber

I supposed it's a different kind of geeking, but I am extremely excited because my local pub has one keg of Dogfish Head 120 IPA, which is a Very Fine Thing. I'll heading there straightaway after work.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Izzy HaveMercy

sultan2075 wrote:I supposed it's a different kind of geeking, but I am extremely excited because my local pub has one keg of Dogfish Head 120 IPA, which is a Very Fine Thing. I'll heading there straightaway after work.
That's not beer, that's whiskey!

IZ.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
sultan2075 wrote:I supposed it's a different kind of geeking, but I am extremely excited because my local pub has one keg of Dogfish Head 120 IPA, which is a Very Fine Thing. I'll heading there straightaway after work.

IZ.
this is quite nice if you like wheaty beers - http://www.brewdog.com/hardcore_ipa

ABV:9.2%
IBU’s:150Malts

this is just ridiculous though - http://www.brewdog.com/tactical_nuclear_penguin

ABV:32%
Izzy HaveMercy

Quiff Boy wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:

IZ.
this is quite nice if you like wheaty beers - http://www.brewdog.com/hardcore_ipa

ABV:9.2%
IBU’s:150Malts

this is just ridiculous though - http://www.brewdog.com/tactical_nuclear_penguin

ABV:32%
And waaaay too expensive, c'mon! 35 paands for a small-ish bottle! :eek:

For that price I have 4,5 litres of this yumminess!

IZ.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

sultan2075
Overbomber

Color (or colour) me broken-hearted. They tapped the keg at 5:00 PM, but I had to teach until 7:00. My wife and I got there around 7:30, only to discover they sold out of it in about an hour.

Are Dogfish Head beers available in Europe? I think they make some of the best and most interesting beers of the American craft-brewing scene. Another excellent American craft brewer is Oskar Blues from Colorado. They make a very good IPA called Gub'na, and a knock-you-on-your-ass stout called Ten-Fiddy (because it's 10.5%) that is one of the finest things I've ever tasted.

I've had the Brewdog IPA before. I like it, but don't love it.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I've never seen Dogfish Head in the UK, there's a bar here in Leeds called North that does beers from all over the world (mostly European actually, but they do get US beers sometimes); I'll look out next time I'm in.

IPA can be too hoppy for my taste sometimes; I tend to prefer an English-style bitter (which generally aren't that bitter).
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy

sultan2075 wrote:Color (or colour) me broken-hearted. They tapped the keg at 5:00 PM, but I had to teach until 7:00. My wife and I got there around 7:30, only to discover they sold out of it in about an hour.

Are Dogfish Head beers available in Europe? I think they make some of the best and most interesting beers of the American craft-brewing scene. Another excellent American craft brewer is Oskar Blues from Colorado. They make a very good IPA called Gub'na, and a knock-you-on-your-ass stout called Ten-Fiddy (because it's 10.5%) that is one of the finest things I've ever tasted.

I've had the Brewdog IPA before. I like it, but don't love it.
When in Belgium, any time,...

....call me ;)

IZ.
sultan2075
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:I've never seen Dogfish Head in the UK, there's a bar here in Leeds called North that does beers from all over the world (mostly European actually, but they do get US beers sometimes); I'll look out next time I'm in.

IPA can be too hoppy for my taste sometimes; I tend to prefer an English-style bitter (which generally aren't that bitter).
American IPA's will almost certainly not be your thing, then--they're very, very, very hoppy. The unfortunate aspect of developing a taste for them is that nothing else really satisfies you.

Dogfish Head does some very interesting things. They have an Ancient Ales series concocted in concert with an archaeologist at Penn. It attempts to replicate ancient beers based on analysis of chemical residue left behind in various relics which once held beer. They've got a lovely one that they produce all year 'round, called Midas Touch. It's based on a Homeric-era formula. Very interesting, too--it's around 9% ABV, and tastes like a hefeweizen crossed with a muscat dessert wine (minus the sweetness) and spiked with a bit of cumin. Fantastic!
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
When in Belgium, any time,...

....call me ;)

IZ.
Will do ;)

And if I ever make it to Europe, I will see if I can bring some of the more interesting American stuff with me to share. The last 10 years of American beercraft have been wonderful.
--
Izzy HaveMercy

A new toy...

... and it LIVES!

Muha. MuhahaHA. MUhahaHAHAHAHAHAAAAHHHhhh!!!!! :notworthy:

IZ.
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy wrote: Muha. MuhahaHA. MUhahaHAHAHAHAHAAAAHHHhhh!!!!! :notworthy:

IZ.
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Sita wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote: Muha. MuhahaHA. MUhahaHAHAHAHAHAAAAHHHhhh!!!!! :notworthy:

IZ.
:eek: :eek: :eek:
:lol: :lol: ... looks like great fun ... ;D :lol: ...
Izzy HaveMercy

Just effing around with it today...

Instant Dr. Whom! :D :notworthy:

IZ.
Sita

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Just effing around with it today...

IZ.
Izzy HaveMercy

Sita wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Just effing around with it today...

IZ.

:notworthy: ;D :notworthy: ;D :notworthy:

IZ.
Sita

Ha, you think it's funny! But my cat holds a grudge now and doesn't stop meowing!!! :lol: