Sisters in 2006

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Hope springs eternal...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
_emma_
Overbomber

shivarising wrote:
_emma_ wrote: Now I guess the offer is still valid, but it's much too late to get the visa.
Now, I know US security has been heightened by the shadow war on terror and all, but you don't need a visa to visit Arizona. :roll:
From Poland, I do. And it takes months to get one, and it costs a lot with no certainty whether I get it or not.
Electrochrome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Motz wrote:And that it's a full blown tour, funded by Mute, who they're releasing an album on and that we're getting UK dates 8)

Pretty please? :(
Hope is worth fighting for, as the tagline to some movies I saw once, claimed.

Touring the USA (hopefully) means Von is once again trying to convince an evil label to put up some dough so The Sisters can be firing on all cylinders...live, in the record shops, online, etc.

Again, for the 800th time, bands DO get released, they DO get press. Crap, awful bands get released....there is just no reason on earth why The Sisters cannot at least put out another album or two and tour and sell a few copies. They need dedication...they need....pushing. A catalyst.

Mute would be a good choice, if they can give Von enough for the 'grief' of releasing an album or signing on. Biting the silver bullet....maybe, just maybe he means biting the bullet and signing on to an evil record co. I just don't believe that he's hanging it up at this point....he was much closer to that 10 years ago or so.....now that he's been 'free' since 1998.....why quit? Man needs cigarette money and cat food....

Here's to hope, and the shoe I ate after saying the Sisters would NEVER play the USA again.
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
robertzombie
Overbomber

markfiend wrote: I'm not going to gripe about the gigs not being in Europe; we've had our share.
I haven't :( i've only been a fan for a couple of months :cry:
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

robertzombie wrote: I haven't :( i've only been a fan for a couple of months :cry:
:eek:

It's never too late (is it?)
"as we walk on the floodland"
Arrrgh!
Amphetamine Filth

Hmmm, somethings up. It has to be, as nothing is down. At least nothing is down on the live site regarding venues, and no matter how enigmatic you are, you don't organise tours a very very long way away without counting on people turning up to see you, making the exercise worthwhile.

The more notice you give people, the more likely they are to turn up. So why not actually announce the new activity? We now know of, what, three or four gigs in the US? Some of these gigs even have tickets on sale, so why not list the links on the live site?

The obvious answer is that a press release is immenent from The Sisters of Mercy. For a tour to be a success, people must know it's happening, and the best way for this to happen is to get the media to write articles about it. The best route to this is a press release. The interesting question then becomes what else will be on the press release? Simply that the girls are returning to the US for the first time in a long time, or . . . . .?

It would be nice though, wouldn't it?
Do I drive or am I driven?
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Las Vegas 16-02-2006
Phoenix 18-02-2006
Orlando 03-03-2006
Detroit 13-03-2006
Denver 16-03-2006
Anaheim 18-03-2006
San Fransisco 22-03-2006

It looks good for the American fans!!!!

But I do agree with you Arrrgh! (what does this Arrrgh stand for? :wink: )
robertzombie
Overbomber

grr

*jealous jealous jealous*
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

robertzombie wrote:grr

*jealous jealous jealous*
Yes indeed but they had to wait for about 7 years...but I still hope that Europe is also part of it. :D
robertzombie
Overbomber

Why cant he just stick on a bloody UK tour as well. I wanna see them before he calls it quits and I don't have the kind of money to get to America! (or Europe for that matter!)

I know it's the same for nearly everyone but it would be nice...
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

robertzombie wrote:Why cant he just stick on a bloody UK tour as well. I wanna see them before he calls it quits and I don't have the kind of money to get to America! (or Europe for that matter!)

I know it's the same for nearly everyone but it would be nice...
Before he calls it quits?

Don't think you'd do such a megalomanic tour, after your last US tour failed majestically, if you want to call it quit, right?
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
TheBoyNextDoor
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Obviousman wrote: Don't think you'd do such a megalomanic tour, after your last US tour failed majestically, if you want to call it quit, right?
Was it really so bad? I thought it was actually quite a success. Sold out venues etc.

But it sound like this tour will be even bigger/about the same size as the one 99, and after all those years that makes me wonder if they can make it..
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Ah, I understood it went completely wrong :oops:

Obviously, I can be wrong, and then correct me asap :lol:

But indeed, after all that time, without any releases, I'm very curious if you get to fill up venues all over the states
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
the-happening

I went to 3 gigs on the last USA tour, Atlanta, Ft Lauderdale and Orlando. Atlanta wasn't sold out but was busy but both gigs in Florida were rammed, so I would say that assuming the other gigs were similar then the tour must have been a success.
"i'm talking about god, devil, hell, do you understand, finally?"
TheBoyNextDoor

Obviousman wrote:Ah, I understood it went completely wrong :oops:

Obviously, I can be wrong, and then correct me asap :lol:
Haha.. It's allright, still not sure I'm 100% correct either so. ;)
Brad

Judging by ticket availability for Vegas on ticketmaster, things seem to be going quite well.

I think the botched American tour you are referring to was the Public Enema tour in '91.

Yes, you read that right.
H. Blackrose

The autobiography of Chuck D, lead rapper and lyricist for Public Enemy, is worth reading for his description of the tour. Apparently Eldritch told him that Public Enemy were "saying things that needed to be said". (It's a bit weird how Chuck keeps referring to the Sisters as an "alternative" band, but better than the g-word, right?) According to what the old UTRs say, though, most of the PE crew were notoriously undisciplined, and sometimes turned up so late that they had to go on after the Sisters. I can understand how that would drive you crazy (and the antics of the other PE rapper, Flavor Flav, were known to drive his own bandmates crazy).

Anyway, don't care if you despise all hiphop or whatever, but you must hear Public Enemy's masterpiece, Fear of a Black Planet (hey, there's another Sisters parallel right there!)
vicus

wow - sisters on mtv germany

unsurprisingly this article is rubbish
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
shivarising
Amphetamine Filth

Here's the official word from TicketMaster...

The Sisters of Mercy mount a comeback of sorts

January 06, 2006 12:32 PM
by Tjames Madison
liveDaily Contributor
The Sisters of Mercy (tickets | music) will make their first North American concert appearances since 1999 with a run of shows beginning in mid-February.

Buy Tickets Now
Related Artists / Topics
The Sisters of Mercy
The goth-rock pioneers--who have gone through almost as many lineup changes as Spinal Tap--will kick off their return to the States with a Feb. 16 in Las Vegas. The tour will last slightly more than a month and the band will hit 15 cities on the outing, including two Canadian dates.
The Sisters of Mercy were formed in Leeds, England in 1980 and went on to become one of the most successful goth-themed acts of that decade. The band released three albums, the last, "Vision Thing," coming in 1990. The group--now down one remaining original member in co-founder and lead singer Andrew Eldritch--continued to play live shows for most of the '90s and this decade, even without benefit of new recorded material.

Eldritch, who has a long history of feuding with various record labels, has recently discussed the possibility of new Sisters material being released, but has set no timetable for the idea. "New and hence unreleased songs make up half of any live Sisters set these days, although the classics get a good thrashing in rotation," Eldritch said on the band's website.

The current lineup of the band consists of Eldritch, Chris Catalyst (guitar,) Adam Pearson (guitar/vocals) and a drum machine named "Doktor Avalanche." This was the same name given to the drum machine that accompanied Eldritch and the band's other co-founder Gary Marx in the early years of the group.

Guitarist Pearson has also appeared recently playing live shows with the reunited MC5.

[Note: The following tour itinerary has been provided by artist and/or tour sources, who verify its accuracy as of the publication time of this story. Changes may occur before tickets go on sale. Check with official artist websites, ticketing sources and venues for late updates.]

February 2006
16 - Las Vegas, NV - House of Blues
17 - San Diego, CA - House of Blues

March 2006
3 - Orlando, FL - House of Blues
4 - Atlanta, GA - Roxy
6 - New York, NY - Webster Hall
7 - Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
8 - Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory
10 - Toronto, Ontario - Kool Haus
11 - Montreal, Quebec - Metrpolis
13 - Detroit, MI - State Theatre
14 - Chicago, IL - Congress Theater
16 - Denver, CO - Fillmore Auditorium
18 - Anaheim, CA - House of Blues
19, 20 - Los Angeles, CA - House of Blues
22 - San Francisco, CA - Warfield
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

shivarising wrote:
Eldritch, who has a long history of feuding with various record labels, has recently discussed the possibility of new Sisters material being released, but has set no timetable for the idea.
Discussed the possibility of new material? Where? When? :eek:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Probably just new bootlegs after the tour. :roll:
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Dark wrote:Probably just new bootlegs after the tour. :roll:
Without new recording stuff this tour has now become the biggest tour EVER for the Sisters on the American continent. :eek:
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Today the Sisters exist 24 years and eleven months.

In one month the big machine will roar again. Though I won't be crossing the Atlantic I'm pretty excited about it........

Counting down..... 8)
christophe
Overbomber

Ozpat wrote:Today the Sisters exist 24 years and eleven months.

In one month the big machine will roar again. Though I won't be crossing the Atlantic I'm pretty excited about it........

Counting down..... 8)
funny isn't it :lol:
most of us don't even go to the gig's (ever) and we all act like little schoolgirls :notworthy:
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

christophe wrote:
Ozpat wrote:Today the Sisters exist 24 years and eleven months.

Counting down..... 8)
funny isn't it :lol:
most of us don't even go to the gig's (ever) and we all act like little schoolgirls :notworthy:
Yes we do...we certainly do!

I went to only 5 gigs. That's 1 gig every 5 years.... :oops:

Please let me make it up........in Europe!