Geek Anvil (currently geeking...)

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Sita wrote:Ha, you think it's funny! But my cat holds a grudge now and doesn't stop meowing!!! :lol:
I have more if he/she's due a trot outside ;)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Sita wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Just effing around with it today...

Instant Dr. Whom! :D :notworthy:

IZ.
:lol: :notworthy: ... I've got a perfect understanding for your cat ... :lol: ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Trying—and failing—to get audio over HDMI working on my HTPC (I may have mentioned a while ago that I bought a Zotac ZBox, which I have running XBMC—the old HTPC is now a fileserver in the cellar.) I followed this how-to, I get the expected console output from the speaker-test command... but no sound on the TV. Bum.

Oh well, I can live with it outputting the audio through the 3.5mm headphone jack. I suppose. At least I only spent a fiver on the HDMI cable rather than several hundred quid.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

opencart

http://www.opencart.com/

opensource, modular, fully featured ecommerce platform

nice :D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I've written a URL shortener (like bit.ly etc.)

Might come in handy boss if you can get hold of a short domain-name like myhl.nd (There is no .nd TLD but you get the idea)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

markfiend wrote:I've written a URL shortener (like bit.ly etc.)

Might come in handy boss if you can get hold of a short domain-name like myhl.nd (There is no .nd TLD but you get the idea)
I'll get "ll.ch" registered then and will become very rich if a certain Welsh town wants to buy it off me! :D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
EvilBastard
Overbomber

So I'm a muppet. Let me explain:

I have a DLink ShareCenter 2-bay NAS with two 1TB disks in it. One of them is full of ripped DVD movies. I decided to move that drive on-board (PC), but the drive wasn't recognised.

No matter, I'll make it a dynamic disk - that will solve the problem. Right?

Wrong. So I edited the hex to make it a regular drive again. Drive is now recognised, but says that it's not formatted. Yeah it flippin' is. So then I went through every variant of data recovery tool, to no avail - the files don't show up (presumably because they weren't deleted).

So I'm running TestDisk and a little thing pops up that says "I've found a partition - and it's Linux flavoured."

Light dawns. Maybe that explains why my WinXP machine can't see the data.

So, anyone know of a way in which I can see Linux data in a Windows environment and copy it over to a new drive, even after having buggered about with the thing? If there's a faint possibility I'm willing to give it a shot - to be honest, the data is not m*****n critical, I can get it back, but it would be a big fat pain in the ar$e, so if it could be avoided that'd be favourite.

Thanks! :notworthy:
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

can anyone tell me why auto-login doesn't work for me any more?
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

EvilBastard wrote: So, anyone know of a way in which I can see Linux data in a Windows environment and copy it over to a new drive, even after having buggered about with the thing? If there's a faint possibility I'm willing to give it a shot - to be honest, the data is not m*****n critical, I can get it back, but it would be a big fat pain in the ar$e, so if it could be avoided that'd be favourite.

Thanks! :notworthy:
You might try booting from a Linux live CD (most flavours of Linux will boot from the CD you download) and copying the data from one (Linux-formatted) HD to a Win-formatted one. AFAIK Windows will only recognise its own disk formats.
—Bertrand Russell
EvilBastard
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:You might try booting from a Linux live CD (most flavours of Linux will boot from the CD you download) and copying the data from one (Linux-formatted) HD to a Win-formatted one. AFAIK Windows will only recognise its own disk formats.
Excellent call, Senor Fiend :notworthy:

YAY! I have my movies back!
Blanched slightly at the idea of trying to run 2 OS on one machine (let's face it, I'm already 2 versions of Windows behind the curve, soon to be 3 if Win8 is released on time - what can I tell you, I fear change), did some digging online and came up with DiskInternals' Linux Reader - worked a charm, and free!

Of course, some people might question exactly why I need to preserve every episode of Rising Damp for digital posterity, but... ;D
Hank Moody
EvilBastard
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Trying—and failing—to get audio over HDMI working on my HTPC (I may have mentioned a while ago that I bought a Zotac ZBox, which I have running XBMC—the old HTPC is now a fileserver in the cellar.) I followed this how-to, I get the expected console output from the speaker-test command... but no sound on the TV. Bum.

Oh well, I can live with it outputting the audio through the 3.5mm headphone jack. I suppose. At least I only spent a fiver on the HDMI cable rather than several hundred quid.
Have you tried using an optical cable instead of the HDMI? You get lovely crisp multi-channel audio that you can route through most amplifiers, there should be a port on the soundcard of the HTPC or you can bodge in a soundcard with an optical port for not too many beer tokens.

I'm a big fan of the XBMC - love that there's an Android remote app for it that works over wifi so I can repurpose an old phone - but hate that it doesn't support MKV. As soon as it does, though... :D
Hank Moody
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

EvilBastard wrote:...but hate that it doesn't support MKV...
??? I have a couple of films in mkv format on mine and they're fine.

Thanks for the optical cable idea. Not sure if my Zotac Zbox has an optical output, but I'll check it out.
—Bertrand Russell
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

emilystrange wrote:can anyone tell me why auto-login doesn't work for me any more?
Or for me... It's annoying!

In the meantime, I wonder if it's really worth it to wait for the MacBook line to be updated. I need a new one!
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

emilystrange wrote:can anyone tell me why auto-login doesn't work for me any more?
On HL?

Basically it's a choice of either break the auto-login... or have the whole board fall over all the time like it was a few months back.
—Bertrand Russell
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

ah, so it's not just me? okey dokey!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

No it's everyone. :|
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

So, my Raspberry Pi turned up, but I haven't a clue what to do with it :lol:

Any ideas?
—Bertrand Russell
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

markfiend wrote:So, my Raspberry Pi turned up, but I haven't a clue what to do with it :lol:

Any ideas?
"Linux User & Developer" magazine has been running a series of articles offering suggestions (and tutorials). It's stocked by WHSmiths and suchlike.
Debaser
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:So, my Raspberry Pi turned up, but I haven't a clue what to do with it :lol:

Any ideas?
When you have, let me know - one of our governors at school wants us to buy these/this.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Debaser wrote:

Any ideas?
When you have, let me know - one of our governors at school wants us to buy these/this.
This list might help ive you some ideas - hunt for meteorites, make some damn' fine coffee.
Hank Moody
Debaser
Overbomber

They'll no doubt end up sat next to the visualiser we bought three years ago and not taken out of the box.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

emilystrange wrote:ah, so it's not just me? okey dokey!
:eek: :kiss:

Hello, my sweet! If you're up for it, I'll meet you behind the sofa ASAP. I've got a whole pot o' piping-hot joe, if you'll bring the scones (or crumpets, I don't care). So much to catch up on... :|
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

SINNIE? sinnie, darling! i'm here! *dives behind sofa* ooo we have a lot to natter about! *snoggles*
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Representative php code snippet from a project I'm currently working on. Anonymised to predict the guilty.

Code: Select all

if ($foo && $bar) {
    // do some stuff
    if ($foo) {
        // do some more stuff
    } else {
        // do some different stuff
    }
    // finish off stuff
}
When is the code in that else-block ever going to run? o.O
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

If "do some stuff" modifies the value of $foo I reckon, but it really shouldn't have been written that way. Best o' luck - I've dealt with code like that before and it's not a nice experience. :urff:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.