The all new NEWSWORTHY thread

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
mh
Above the Chemist

If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

brian cant to receive a bafta

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2 ... wick-green

the voice of 70s and 80s kids tv :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy:

As Manchester police face cuts of 3,000 officers, many fear that the whole area could become little more than a nasal-sounding Liverpool.

Criminologist Wayne Hayes said: "It's going to be like when the levees broke in New Orleans, only instead of rainwater it'll be bandy-legged little shites with an intense, Gollum-esque desire to rob you.

;D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Pista
Cureboi

The man responsible for You're Beautiful being written

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/war/ ... 011153251/

:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Reading about the clusterf*ck in Ireland, and came across this..

"But has the daily dose of doom fatally eroded the Irish people’s confidence? There are some indications that this might be the case.

Some even want a return to the bosom of Mother England. Two small countries in horrific financial difficulties have adopted a more mature attitude. "
Is this guy joking, or have things got so bad over there people are actually suggesting this even in jest?

[/i]
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
Spigel

DeWinter

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not enjoying whats happening to them. There but for the euro go we (and possibly may still yet go!). I'd even go so far as giving Ireland the £7billion that Viscount Tipperary has loaned them and draw a line under our mutual history.
I suspect the one good thing to come out of this is that Bono's tax dodging status might shame him so much he'll go and hide in his mansion and stop lecturing the feck out of the rest of us!
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Today I took part in the Leeds student protests. After a successful march the protest took over several university buildings. After holding onto them for a few hours some TV crews turned up (including ITV) and what did they do?

They formed a "media committee" and voted to bar the camera's entry.

They squandered a chance to actually be heard because of prickish self righteousness - it was at this point I walked out.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
mh
Above the Chemist

Re: the Ireland situation: some day when I've sorted through everything in my head I'll doubtlessly post a rant. Tell you one thing though, it's quite f--king surreal over here at the moment.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Pista
Cureboi

Snowman theft in Kent

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-11908583

daft bint said
"It ain't a nice road but at the end of the day, you don't expect someone to nick your snowman, you know what I mean?"

:eek: :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
James Blast
Banned

"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Julian Assange arrested and now refused bail: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11937110

The allegations against him are an obvious fit-up; it wouldn't be the first time that the CIA has tried the "honey-trap".

How long before he "falls down the stairs in the police station" or is "shot attempting to escape"? :evil:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Well, Brian, not to state the bleedin' obvious, but Flash Gordon was not your finest hour by any stretch of the imagination. That said, You Are A God and anyone stupid enough to speak his mind when a god is in earshot deserves everything he gets.
The Mighty Bearded One on the subject of Pamela Anderson wrote:Pamela ****ing Anderson? I wouldn’t touch her with yours. I’ve starred alongside Sophia Loren.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
EvilBastard
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Julian Assange arrested and now refused bail: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11937110

The allegations against him are an obvious fit-up; it wouldn't be the first time that the CIA has tried the "honey-trap".

How long before he "falls down the stairs in the police station" or is "shot attempting to escape"? :evil:
Seconded. T'Grauniad's coverage of the thing is minute-by-miunte, and the more info that comes out the more blatantly apparent it becomes that this bears all the hallmarks of a cack-handed Foggy Bottom operation. Not to mention that the US is going to host World Freedom of the Press Day next May:
Philip J. Crowley, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Public Affairs wrote:The theme for next year's commemoration will be 21st Century Media: New Frontiers, New Barriers. The United States places technology and
innovation at the forefront of its diplomatic and development efforts. New media has empowered citizens around the world to report on their circumstances, express opinions on world events, and exchange information in environments sometimes hostile to such exercises of individuals' right to freedom of expression. At the same time, we are concerned about the determination of some governments to censor and silence individuals, and to restrict the free flow of information. We mark events such as World Press Freedom Day in the context of our enduring commitment to support and expand press freedom and the free flow of information in this digital age.
It's a fucking dog's breakfast and no mistake. Instead of chasing Assange the US should spend a teensy-weensy bit more time cleaning house. If you've got someone who has access to this material and doesn't know enough not to leak it, then you should consider tightening up your security protocols. Given the ease with which this data is being spirited out of secure facilities, it's probably harder to get into Mother Theresa's knickers than it is gets your mitts on confidential information. I firmly expect my next order of cod and chips wiv crispy bits to be wrapped in a top secret communiqué detailing how the Washington DC Womens Institute blew up the Twin Towers.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
DeWinter

I notice what Assange is being charged with seems to be changing, too. First it was rape, then "unprotected sex", and sex with a woman whilst she's asleep. Which I would not have thought possible personally, unless the womans drunk or drugged. I wouldnt have thought there was enough proof to even launch a prosecution.. :|
sultan2075
Overbomber

I've seen the charges against him described as "Swedish rape." My understanding is that under Swedish law unprotected sex is chargeable as rape if one of the parties is under the impression precautions are being taken, even though they're not. I hadn't heard about the sleeping bit though.

I also highly doubt the CIA's involvement. From what I've read the accuser is a long-term leftist, and therefore unlikely to be working for the CIA. It's quite possible, however, that Julian Assange is a grade-a schmuck who goes trolling for politically left-leaning women who will be easily impressed by Wikileaks, and then beds them without a thought for anyone's pleasure or good but his own. It's a simple solution, and doesn't require the belief in CIA deep cover agents operating within European leftist circles for many years. The CIA's ability to do that kind of thing greatly suffered after the Cold War.

In fact, the above hypothesis generally fits his modus operandi with Wikileaks, too. He may claim he's doing it for "world peace," but the fact of the matter is that some of his disclosures have made war more likely (in the Korean peninsula and in the Persian Gulf, for example). He's certainly gotten people killed in Afghanistan for helping NATO, etc.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

CIA plot or not, the sex-charges against him are on the shakiest of ground:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -hunt.html

Heh, here's me posting a link to the Daily Fail. Still, a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day...
sultan2075 wrote:It's quite possible, however, that Julian Assange is a grade-a schmuck who goes trolling for politically left-leaning women who will be easily impressed by Wikileaks, and then beds them without a thought for anyone's pleasure or good but his own.
More than possible IMO, but that isn't rape.

Note that Sweden's chief prosecutor initially dismissed the charges.

If I were Assange I'd be fighting extradition on the grounds that:
a) Sweden will probably pass him on to the USA.
b) If found guilty of espionage charges in the US he could face execution.
c) It is currently illegal to extradite someone from the UK to the US to face a capital charge.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
sultan2075
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:CIA plot or not, the sex-charges against him are on the shakiest of ground:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -hunt.html

Heh, here's me posting a link to the Daily Fail. Still, a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day...
sultan2075 wrote:It's quite possible, however, that Julian Assange is a grade-a schmuck who goes trolling for politically left-leaning women who will be easily impressed by Wikileaks, and then beds them without a thought for anyone's pleasure or good but his own.
More than possible IMO, but that isn't rape.

Note that Sweden's chief prosecutor initially dismissed the charges.

If I were Assange I'd be fighting extradition on the grounds that:
a) Sweden will probably pass him on to the USA.
b) If found guilty of espionage charges in the US he could face execution.
c) It is currently illegal to extradite someone from the UK to the US to face a capital charge.
Honestly, the US government doesn't have the minerals to execute him. Gone are the days when Western leaders were willing to intransigently pursue their own national interest. And it's not the US government he should be afraid of. It's other governments that are not as squeamish about things like, say... radiologically poisoned sushi.

And yeah, the sex charges probably are on shaky ground. That's what comes of poorly chosen mating habits, though :innocent:
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

sultan2075 wrote:It's other governments that are not as squeamish about things like, say... radiologically poisoned sushi.
Heh. Yeah, good point.
—Bertrand Russell
DeWinter

markfiend wrote: Heh, here's me posting a link to the Daily Fail. Still, a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day...
Mentioning that, I'm beginning to wonder if the editor of the Daily Mail is at all well recently. First admitting that Assange is being stitched up (probably because he looks like William Hague in a toupee.), then giving positive coverage to UK UnCut. If it does an article on how low house prices are a good thing and then say something complimentary about travellers I shall probably die of shock.

I do find it rather warming that Britain's version of the TEA Party looks likely to be it's complete opposite..
Pista
Cureboi

Not sure if this is the right thread or should it be in the WTF thread?
Saudi Arabian officials have "detained" a vulture on accusations of being a spy for Israel, media reports say.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12120259
Israeli officials told Ma'ariv they were "stunned" by the allegations and concerned that the bird could meet a horrible punishment in the notoriously severe Saudi justice system.
:eek:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Them Crooked Vultures :innocent:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Pista
Cureboi

weebleswobble wrote:Them Crooked Vultures :innocent:
Yeah.
Worse than wascally wabbits apparently

:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Silver_Owl
The Don

Pista wrote:Not sure if this is the right thread or should it be in the WTF thread?
Saudi Arabian officials have "detained" a vulture on accusations of being a spy for Israel, media reports say.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12120259
Israeli officials told Ma'ariv they were "stunned" by the allegations and concerned that the bird could meet a horrible punishment in the notoriously severe Saudi justice system.
:eek:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Perhaps it will turn out to be a stool pidgeon! Ahem... :innocent:
The Chancer Corporation