Gift reissue plus extras

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

My money's on the early SKOS, how else to explain the 4 minute bluegrass guitar solo. Make sense if it was some record co drone patching it together.
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
czuczu
Overbomber

Don't think he was specific but I thought it was Never Land. Most of the album was stitched together with Larry Alexander, didn't he say they had hundreds of tapes of stuff before they got organised?
Moderate Mick
Road Kill

Interesting that James Ray’s stuff us now available digitally.
Proves it can be done.
Like I’ve said before, I guess Von sees the money in gig tickets and tee shirts…
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

That it CAN be done has never been a reason for AE to let it happen.
Trying is the first step towards failure
(Homer Simpson)
gothboy
Road Kill

It's a shame if it doesn't happen and to be fair if almost 2 years of gigs being cancelled wasn't enough to make Von think I could do with another income stream I'm not sure what will. I'd just discovered that that the five tracks made quite a nicely paced run for someone not quite as quick as they used to be and the odd jump and skip captured from my wobbly vinyl source never helps one keep stride.
Pista
Cureboi

gothboy wrote: 18 Feb 2022, 00:13 It's a shame if it doesn't happen and to be fair if almost 2 years of gigs being cancelled wasn't enough to make Von think I could do with another income stream I'm not sure what will. I'd just discovered that that the five tracks made quite a nicely paced run for someone not quite as quick as they used to be and the odd jump and skip captured from my wobbly vinyl source never helps one keep stride.
Hello & welcome to Heartland :hl: :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
gothboy
Road Kill

apologies if this has been covered on another thread but on the digital gift front has anyone got to the bottom of whatever the gift album also under the name the Sisterhood available through Amazon and I believe other digital music stores including tracks such as "12.6.09", "you" and "save yourself" actually is?
Pista
Cureboi

gothboy wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 23:15 apologies if this has been covered on another thread but on the digital gift front has anyone got to the bottom of whatever the gift album also under the name the Sisterhood available through Amazon and I believe other digital music stores including tracks such as "12.6.09", "you" and "save yourself" actually is?
I don't see that listed on amazon, but there is a spotify thing with those tracks you mentioned. They appear to be a completely different & unrelated band called Sisterhood (not The Sisterhood).
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Pista wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 09:48
gothboy wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 23:15 apologies if this has been covered on another thread but on the digital gift front has anyone got to the bottom of whatever the gift album also under the name the Sisterhood available through Amazon and I believe other digital music stores including tracks such as "12.6.09", "you" and "save yourself" actually is?
I don't see that listed on amazon, but there is a spotify thing with those tracks you mentioned. They appear to be a completely different & unrelated band called Sisterhood (not The Sisterhood).
i also looked into it. its awful darkwave s**t -very dreivative but thats no surprise seeing as they have stolen the identitiy of the Sisterhood Gift. wholesale.
they have no website or wikipedia entry just their supposed;y money-worthy diaorhea on Amazon -cunts- and Spotify -weapons dealing cunts. i hope they all die long painful strung out deaths which are so protracted they see everyome they love die first.
OF SHAME :evil:

Nor are they related to the rather cutre C&W duo 'The Sisterhood (Band)',
Last edited by eastmidswhizzkid on 21 Feb 2022, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Being645
Intellectual Love God

:lol: :lol:
sultan2075
Overbomber

Spotify -weapons dealing cunts.
I’ve got loads of reasons to despise them, and I don’t use their service, but this is the first I’ve heard about this particular claim. Can you expand on it?
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
eastmidswhizzkid

sultan2075 wrote: 22 Feb 2022, 02:28
I’ve got loads of reasons to despise them, and I don’t use their service, but this is the first I’ve heard about this particular claim. Can you expand on it?
something to do with them investing in british aerospace i think. someone was slagging them off in the Stewart Lee group so usually liberal intelligentsia. i dont use Spotify at all so didnt pay much attention

maggieloveshopey
Road Kill

sultan2075 wrote: 22 Feb 2022, 02:28
Spotify CEO Daniel EK recently invested €100 million in an arms* company

https://themusicessentials.com/news/dan ... nvestment/

*not these Arms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sroxlvwptk0
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

"There is no ethical consumption under capitalism."
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid

markfiend wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 12:52 "There is no ethical consumption under capitalism."
true but some choices are more unethical than others.

@maggieloveshopey thanks for that. :notworthy:

gothboy
Road Kill

Firstly apologies if a very similar version of this response pops up as I was certain I had submitted already but now it doesn't seem to be there

Secondly I feel I have inadvertently diverted this thread away from speculation over how many unheard versions of Giving Ground there are- so apologies for a second time.

On a tenuously related matter I think I read in one of the recent Sisters books, Paint My Name I think, that Von is partial to a bit of Bruce and has been known to soundcheck with a version of Darkness on the Edge of Town. Does anyone know if that has ever been captured for posterity? The tenuous link being Suicide, Mr Springsteen one of their higher profile advocates having covered, rather excellently if you haven't heard it, Dream Baby Dream, and Alan Vega being billed as part of the Sisterhood even if there seems to be some debate as to the level of his contribution. Any info gratefully recieved
eastmidswhizzkid

gothboy wrote: 27 Feb 2022, 23:57 Firstly apologies if a very similar version of this response pops up as I was certain I had submitted already but now it doesn't seem to be there

Secondly I feel I have inadvertently diverted this thread away from speculation over how many unheard versions of Giving Ground there are- so apologies for a second time.

On a tenuously related matter I think I read in one of the recent Sisters books, Paint My Name I think, that Von is partial to a bit of Bruce and has been known to soundcheck with a version of Darkness on the Edge of Town. Does anyone know if that has ever been captured for posterity? The tenuous link being Suicide, Mr Springsteen one of their higher profile advocates having covered, rather excellently if you haven't heard it, Dream Baby Dream, and Alan Vega being billed as part of the Sisterhood even if there seems to be some debate as to the level of his contribution. Any info gratefully recieved
Firstly, dont worry about inadvertant thread diversion - derailing threads is almost a tradition here, and is accepted as part and parcel of the way discussions tend to go on Heartland. if its needed one of our incredibly diligent mods will separate out massively diverging subjects into their own threads and give relevant directions thereto. 'S all good. :D

Secondly, as far as we know there are no unheard of versions of Giving Ground. According to the Official Site :

"The "Authorised Version" of 'Giving Ground' is Andrew's original version, and the "Revised Standard Version" is the version developed by colleagues at Merciful Release and subsequently adopted as the standard version. AV and RSV are well-known versions of the Bible. "

Both versions were officially released on the Merciful Release 7" single SIS 010 : viz Giving Ground (AV) is the 5 min 49 sec instrumental version. Giving Ground (RSV) is the sung version with added vocals by James Ray.
(NB: the AV version as released isnt completely instrumental as it features the whispered refrain "Everything is lost....everything is lost...in the giving ground" toward the end of the piece. as far as i know there is no information anywhere as to whether this was added to the AV using Rays vocals sampled from the RSV, or whether this is actually Eldritch whispering anonymously on the original before Rays vocals were added.)

Musically the RSV is ostensibly a shortened chopped around version of the AV, running at 4 min 52 sec. it has no fade in or fade out and the structure has the differing component musical passages arranged in a different order e.g. the bridge bit in the middle of the RSV -but not the AV- where the beat drops out to (mostly) just the bass drum is a repeated passage from the start of the piece in both versions.

A third version was released on the Gift LP. this seems to be a basic extended remix of the RSV with maybe some extra layering/overdubs and production. in conclusion , taking into account the technology used to compose the AV, and the necessarily short time period involved to achieve the projects goal, it seems highly unlikely that any earlier version would exist. evidence from all sources * would suggest that -at least musically, with or without whispers- the AV is as early a version as there was.
Of course the rarity of the 7" single would mean that both the RSV and AV versions would be logical CD extras for the (never-gonna-happen, sure-as-fucking-shit-not-from-Cadiz-anyway IMO) Reissue. :von:

* sources:
official site re. RSV /AV
official site re. Gift
Sisters Wiki re. Giving Ground (single)

Thirdly, no idea about any of that barring the Alan Vega issue which seems conclusively that he did some backing vocals on Rain From Heaven as confirmed in the Quietus interview with Eldritch referred to here in The Incomparable Sisters Wiki (HL's Sisters Wiki, not Wikiedia)
you're welcome. :von:

Dan
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 03:10Secondly, as far as we know there are no unheard of versions of Giving Ground.
Yeah but it's possible there's demos and alternate takes. I think some people are hoping that this release (if it ever happens) will contain some previously unheard material such as demos/alt. takes, but yes you're probably right, it'll just be the AV/RSV versions won't it.
DomConway
Filth

I heard this morning that the CD is imminent, and a pre-order email will be with us in the not-too-distant. That’s Sisters not-too-distant mind you but sounds promising.
the only thing to fear is fear itself
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

DomConway wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 10:47 I heard this morning that the CD is imminent, and a pre-order email will be with us in the not-too-distant. That’s Sisters not-too-distant mind you but sounds promising.
Excellent, hopefully someone's great-grandkids can tell us via medium what it sounds like ;D
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Pista
Cureboi

Planet Dave wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 11:11
DomConway wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 10:47 I heard this morning that the CD is imminent, and a pre-order email will be with us in the not-too-distant. That’s Sisters not-too-distant mind you but sounds promising.
Excellent, hopefully someone's great-grandkids can tell us via medium what it sounds like ;D
:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Gothicbiff
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I've just emailed them to ask if it's actually happening :?:
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
eastmidswhizzkid

if this doesnt happen -and my money is firmly on that likelihood- it could possibly be the most incredibly pointless hoax of all time.

DomConway
Filth

Gothicbiff wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 12:53 I've just emailed them to ask if it's actually happening :?:
My message above was based on email contact with them this morning, so I imagine you will have the same answer! They weren’t forthcoming with any details though (extra / different tracks etc).
the only thing to fear is fear itself
Gothicbiff
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

DomConway wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 13:26
Gothicbiff wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 12:53 I've just emailed them to ask if it's actually happening :?:
My message above was based on email contact with them this morning, so I imagine you will have the same answer! They weren’t forthcoming with any details though (extra / different tracks etc).
Thanks for info DomConway :D
I just asked if it was definitely happening and could they make sure I was still on the "interested" list!
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!