March Violets Gig Arrangements/Meet Up.

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
mh
Above the Chemist

Now that I've adequately recovered, here's my full review.

Crash-landed in Leeds at about 17:00 - almost literally! That was seriously the roughest landing I've ever experienced, and it's a good thing I'm not afraid of flying or that would have finished me off forever.

The flight was half an hour late so I was already tight on time - just dropped my stuff and off to the pub.

Meet, beer, chat. Poor Weebs was seriously suffering, but happily it didn't seem to affect his night overall; Keith was already in flying form that early, so much so that I threatened to confiscate his pint more than once! "Hi" to BoF, the HL Yoof contingent, and everyone else (far too many to mention) also. :notworthy:

So off to the gig. Missed the Aircrew too.

Also missed Salvation - I seem to remember getting talking to Jande, Mark and Kerri, and completely losing track of time. What I heard through the doors (Diamond Child and - I think - Puppet Master) sounded great, though.

James Ray wasn't really my cuppa - I know a lot of folks love his stuff, but just not really my thing. I still swear that I heard something that sounded like Mexico Sundown Blues. And no, James, I wasn't the one responsible for getting you ossified that time in Dublin years ago. He knows who he is - I wasn't even there!

And so to the main reason I was there. I love Chris Reed's work, both solo and with the Lorries, and this was a fantastic set and a smashing performance. That it wasn't the best of the night was a case of marks awarded to the next act rather than marks deducted from Chris. Set was mostly solo LP material, which worked just as well with the fuller musical backing, and a handful of classic Lorries at the end - Blow, Generation and Nothing Wrong. No Hold Yourself Down, but I was content nonetheless.

The Violets were utterly ace. It was obvious that they really passionately loved their music, and wanted to both give and have a good night. Rosie (babe alert!) and Si (Gimli alert!) really worked well together on stage, whatever keeps Tom so young and fit looking should be bottled and sold at a scandalous profit, and the bassist filled in admirably. The new songs fitted in great with the old ones too. Pity there was no Essence or Lights Go Out, but understandable enough. And did I meet Loz later on too?

The rest of the night was a blur between the dancefloor, our table, the bar, the smoking area and the gents. Maisey going totally mental to Headhunter should have been filmed! By 2:00 I'd gotten to the stage where I'd hit my limit, and headed off for a few hours of oblivion before making my weary way home with a hangover so bad I felt like I'd been hit by a train.

Once again - T. N. O. :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

John_r wrote:
Electric Shades wrote: We'll be tagging a load of photos we took of the night with "March Violets" on Facebook (so do a seach)
Is there any way non-members can look for photos on Facebook?
good, i hope not :lol:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... =614951059

:innocent:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

oooh :!:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=611734903
The March Violets wrote:Later this week the band will release an exclusive preview mix of new track, ‘Better Looking,’ on their myspace.
that's "you're so pretty" and/or "cut down pretty" isn't it? :?:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

It was great to see everyone again, and those I hadn't met before! Scotty, Weebles, Korin, Claire, Tim, Maisey, Quiff, MH, Ems, Dave, Indrek etc! Ian and I had a great time and he thought you were all top people :notworthy:

Thanks to Indrek for my signed Metsatoll cd!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: and thanks to everyone who asked how my mum was getting on :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

A lot of my family were there (more than I expected and some who I haven't seen for 20 years) so I did spend my time catching up with them, so we will see if Ian and I can make it to the next HL "do" whenever that may be :D
scotty
Overbomber

What happened to the Hom_? :(
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Come on, pictures people.. I got snapped no fewer than four times, where's the evidence of my looking ridiculous? :lol:
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Dark wrote:Come on, pictures people.. I got snapped no fewer than four times, where's the evidence of my looking ridiculous? :lol:
Yeah! I don't think I got "papped"...though I didn't take many photos either! :oops:
mh
Above the Chemist

Dark wrote:Come on, pictures people.. I got snapped no fewer than four times, where's the evidence of my looking ridiculous? :lol:
Oh, OK then. :lol:

If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

I fail to see any of the aforementioned 'ridiculousness' in the above photie. I've been gypped! Pfffffft! :P :lol:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
James Blast
Banned

really? ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Aye.
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Well, I'm back in the Real North now :wink:

Highly impressed by the March Violets, I really have to say. I was barely familiar with them before the gig, came down for the good people as always - but the quality of their performance was also well worth the trip. Really tight and I thought Rosie Lugosi kicked some solid arse :notworthy:

It was great to see all you lovely people again, and fab to meet the few I haven't before - namely the HL Yoof, Maisey and Korin. Also great to finally get to actually have some little natters with our esteemed Markfiend, I kept missing you at previous meets! Shame I didn't get much of a chance to chat to the lovely Libby, though it was great to see you and your chap and I really hope you can make the next one.
Far too many more people to mention... it was good to talk to each and every one of you who I did talk to :) Some very interesting/important/damn funny chinwags had.
Special mentions go out to the Sinister for putting me up/putting up with me. How does he manage? :lol:

Thank you all who made it a night to remember

8)
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Spigel
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote: And no, James, I wasn't the one responsible for getting you ossified that time in Dublin years ago. He knows who he is - I wasn't even there!:
;D
But I was not alone fortunately there was a good Doctor in the house that night.
Last edited by Spigel on 10 Dec 2007, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

boudy, to some of us you are classified in the yoof as well... hee. it was lovely to pinch your bum.
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
biggy

Can anyone name all the merciful release connections on stage that night?
The winner gets a "well done" from me.....l which is pretty rare.

I saw Danny today (Salvation). He's just coming down to earth now. :D
Love ? Love is just f**king with a kiss thrown in !!!
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:Shame I didn't get much of a chance to chat to the lovely Libby, though it was great to see you and your chap and I really hope you can make the next one.
Aw shucks :oops: Was great to see you too, sorry we didn't get to have much of a chat :(
We shall try and make it to the next "meet" :D
the-happening

biggy wrote:Can anyone name all the merciful release connections on stage that night?

Tom, Rosie, Simon, Danny, Eric and Dr A?
"i'm talking about god, devil, hell, do you understand, finally?"
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i can't believe i missed seeing so many people...
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
biggy

the-happening wrote:
biggy wrote:Can anyone name all the merciful release connections on stage that night?

Tom, Rosie, Simon, Danny, Eric and Dr A?
Missed one :innocent:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Loz wasn't on stage, sadly.
biggy

You're right young man, he wasn't.

Now do you know the missing person with the MR connection?
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

My pictures are Facebooked. :D
undertow
Amphetamine Filth

Jason!

and I'm not Goth Revival so the 'mystery remains'
'I have reason to believe' he said, 'that one of you has been going out at night!'
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

boudicca wrote: Special mentions go out to the Sinister for putting me up/putting up with me. How does he manage? :lol:
Patience. Practice. A bucket of vodka.

;D
biggy

undertow wrote:Jason!

and I'm not Goth Revival so the 'mystery remains'

Buggering hell, that's nearly cheating. :wink:

Trust you.

Dan still had a big grin on his face today .... and scary sideburns.