Gift reissue plus extras

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
DomConway
Filth

😁👍🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼
the only thing to fear is fear itself
ReptileHause
Road Kill

If, and that's a big if on par with that Hollywood sign, I wonder could there be any mainstream media coverage of the release. I never understand how little coverage they get. The whole band history, refusing releases but new songs, would appear ripe for a 6 page spread in Uncut/Mojo but maybe you need something to sell first?
Being645
Above the Chemist

or xxxxx K followers on instagram ...
czuczu
Overbomber

ReptileHause wrote: 02 Sep 2022, 18:56 If, and that's a big if on par with that Hollywood sign, I wonder could there be any mainstream media coverage of the release. I never understand how little coverage they get. The whole band history, refusing releases but new songs, would appear ripe for a 6 page spread in Uncut/Mojo but maybe you need something to sell first?
As far as the press is concerned, there is no band history post-93.

Just a succession of tours with no narrative to pull it together. Even changing line-ups have little to write about, there have been no stars joining/leaving or dramatic splits. There aren't even loads of juicy tour anecdotes. Seems to me all the printed music press need a history defined by albums as a minimum before they can write about an act.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

czuczu wrote: 02 Sep 2022, 19:31
ReptileHause wrote: 02 Sep 2022, 18:56 If, and that's a big if on par with that Hollywood sign, I wonder could there be any mainstream media coverage of the release. I never understand how little coverage they get. The whole band history, refusing releases but new songs, would appear ripe for a 6 page spread in Uncut/Mojo but maybe you need something to sell first?

Just a succession of tours with no narrative to pull it together. Even changing line-ups have little to write about, there have been no stars joining/leaving or dramatic splits. There aren't even loads of juicy tour anecdotes. Seems to me all the printed music press need a history defined by albums as a minimum before they can write about an act.
There also needs to be a will to do anything from Von. Even if this does get released the chances of him wanting to talk about it to the music media (whoever they are in 2022) are very slim indeed.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
sultan2075
Overbomber

czuczu wrote: 02 Sep 2022, 19:31

This is something of a shame though. The Sisters are a unique entity in that they're still doing large tours without either a) releasing a record or b) simply being a nostalgia act. While I certainly don't know the band's finances, they still seem to be doing quite well despite not (at the moment) participating in the record industry, as opposed to the music industry. It is an interesting story, and writing it would allow a talented and thoughtful music journalist (yeah, I know...) the opportunity to also reflect on the wider condition of the music industry as a whole. I think someone could write a really good article on the Sisters in relation to this, and the right person (Mark Andrews?) might even be able to interview Von on not just the history of the band, but the broader issues. After all, he's a lot more reflective and thoughtful than a lot of artists.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
ReptileHause
Road Kill

I totally agree. To me The Sisters ARE a totally unique story. I get the idea that it would appear that there is neccessarily no obvious narrarive, or rather as of yet no cliched third act redemption, but that's an oversimplification.
Here is a band who fought the majors and lost/won. Who had an agenda, a vision that they were unwilling to compromise. And rather than call it quits, or than chase the heritage classic album/reunion dollor have continually did everything on their terms. This is not just admirable but almost unpresidented these days.
And against a back drop of (to some) creative paralysis, line up changes have frequnetly reinvigorated the band yet again.
czuczu
Overbomber

ReptileHause wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 19:21 I totally agree. To me The Sisters ARE a totally unique story. I get the idea that it would appear that there is neccessarily no obvious narrarive, or rather as of yet no cliched third act redemption, but that's an oversimplification.
Here is a band who fought the majors and lost/won. Who had an agenda, a vision that they were unwilling to compromise. And rather than call it quits, or than chase the heritage classic album/reunion dollor have continually did everything on their terms. This is not just admirable but almost unpresidented these days.
And against a back drop of (to some) creative paralysis, line up changes have frequnetly reinvigorated the band yet again.
There's a great music industry story in there - but there isn't really an industry-based mag (more like Sight & Sound for film) to cover it, And most of the story is in the head of a cryptic and obscure narrator. There's been nothing substantive since the Mute record deal failure, just excuses and hand-waving.
All the music monthlies depend on regurgitating old press and content or lists and giving it a very minor polish, you can't expect them to actually research anything!
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

also, Eldritch regardless of anything else, has obstinately and without compromise played the whole thing his way. yes there have been changes to the grand plan so contrarywise as to look forced upon him but even within those twists and turns it was always Andrew who called the shots or simply went on strike.
the music press was, like the record company, useful until it wasnt. nevertheless his scorn and disregard for both was never concealed. why would any journo-pondlife want to do him any favours?
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Being645
Above the Chemist

Oh well, I'm sure someone will do it, because quality just can't be denied ... and there's more than only quality to The Sisters.
czuczu
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 04 Sep 2022, 11:29 also, Eldritch regardless of anything else, has obstinately and without compromise played the whole thing his way. yes there have been changes to the grand plan so contrarywise as to look forced upon him but even within those twists and turns it was always Andrew who called the shots or simply went on strike.
the music press was, like the record company, useful until it wasnt. nevertheless his scorn and disregard for both was never concealed. why would any journo-pondlife want to do him any favours?
In a nutshell, that's why there's no story - it's just him doing the same thing for 30 years, on his own without any else really having any impact. He's not even been playing the game.
Gaijin
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

:D Had my Gift t-shirt on today. Sending positive vibes at Cadiz.
"All God's children give good phone,
I called Jesus He's not home... "
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Given the backstory to the accidental unearthing of this master and when combined with the fact Eldo has to do something. Nah... Enjoy your t-shirt
Goths have feelings too
H. Blackrose
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

czuczu wrote: 04 Sep 2022, 13:11
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 04 Sep 2022, 11:29 also, Eldritch regardless of anything else, has obstinately and without compromise played the whole thing his way. yes there have been changes to the grand plan so contrarywise as to look forced upon him but even within those twists and turns it was always Andrew who called the shots or simply went on strike.
In a nutshell, that's why there's no story - it's just him doing the same thing for 30 years, on his own without any else really having any impact. He's not even been playing the game.
The thing is, though, that "refusing to release records" is actually becoming something of a story, given the collapse of the traditional "selling discs" model, and the current collapse of the streaming model. More than one journo's account of the current Australasian gigs has pointed out that - as opposed to other classic bands, where the new songs are an excuse to head to the toilet - that doesn't happen at Sisters gigs, because the gigs are the only way to hear the new songs. In an era where zero-cost reproduction of recordings means that the value of recordings has reached zero, :von: and the lads have given the new songs scarcity value (while of course anyone who wants to hear the new songs can do so, but it takes a little bit of gumption to seek out YouTube bootleg vids). The long game may finally be paying off.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

H. Blackrose wrote: 28 Oct 2022, 00:36In an era where zero-cost reproduction of recordings means that the value of recordings has reached zero, :von: and the lads have given the new songs scarcity value (while of course anyone who wants to hear the new songs can do so, but it takes a little bit of gumption to seek out YouTube bootleg vids). The long game may finally be paying off.
I think you're giving :von: far more credit than he deserves. There is no long game; he just cannot be arsed. :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

markfiend wrote: 28 Oct 2022, 10:36
H. Blackrose wrote: 28 Oct 2022, 00:36In an era where zero-cost reproduction of recordings means that the value of recordings has reached zero, :von: and the lads have given the new songs scarcity value (while of course anyone who wants to hear the new songs can do so, but it takes a little bit of gumption to seek out YouTube bootleg vids). The long game may finally be paying off.
I think you're giving :von: far more credit than he deserves. There is no long game; he just cannot be arsed. :lol:
Keeps forgetting also
Goths have feelings too
ReptileHause
Road Kill

markfiend wrote: 28 Oct 2022, 10:36
As stupid as it sounds, it has to take a some work to be as not arsed as Eldritch. He could pocket far easier cash than going on the road. The Gift reissue is literally new money for old rope and the promised packaging just ramps up the price... Not too mention that most people around here and other fan sites would literally throw their wallets on the counter for any offical Sisters related release.
Yes, I get the tours and merch might be more lucrative but he sweats for that money. And he's turned down easier money by refusing the reunion/classic album circuit
Yggdrasil

From the Sisters Of Mercy Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1980147 ... 789260448/

(George Mensink shared a link)

"it seems it is happening yes. on 28th of january 2023 this old one will have a rerelease.. alas..no bonus tracks anymore. Nothing extra seems to be delivered through Andrew and the Sisters management dispite of early made promises.
So we will see...
First we have to see if it indeed will be released at the promised date....."

https://viveleshop.com/blogs/news/comin ... gOx4JmNHvM

According to screenshots of a conversation with Cadiz, there will be no extra material on the release. They sound pretty bitter about it:

Electrochrome

Yggdrasil wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 03:03 From the Sisters Of Mercy Facebook Page:

"it seems it is happening yes. on 28th of january 2023 this old one will have a rerelease.. alas..no bonus tracks anymore. Nothing extra seems to be delivered through Andrew and the Sisters management dispite of early made promises.
So we will see...

According to screenshots of a conversation with Cadiz, there will be no extra material on the release. They sound pretty bitter about it:

Totally bizarre but...I'll probably buy the damn thing even though I have the old CD. No bonus material, but releasing on cassette because of course. And does anyone believe AE actually made promises for bonus material?!
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
mh
Above the Chemist

Electrochrome wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 18:09
Yggdrasil wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 03:03 From the Sisters Of Mercy Facebook Page:

So we will see...

Totally bizarre but...I'll probably buy the damn thing even though I have the old CD. No bonus material, but releasing on cassette because of course. And does anyone believe AE actually made promises for bonus material?!
Well post #1 on this thread shows Cadiz advertising it as a 2LP/2CD release. 2LP you might say at a stretch could indicate a 2x45rpm 12" pressing, but 2CD? That means bonus material (or a typo).

We all know additional material from this era does exist, including the Giving Ground 7" versions, the This Corrosion demos and the fabled mythical Norman Cook remix of Finland Red, but otherwise you're right, Von never made any promises in this regard. In fact he never made any promises in any regard in respect of this release, although the fact that some rather nice flyers were available at the band's merch stall back in 2019 did indicate some degree of official acceptance.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
GC
Slight Overbomber

In fact he never made any promises in any regard in respect of this release, although the fact that some rather nice flyers were available at the band's merch stall back in 2019 did indicate some degree of official acceptance.

Which suggests a bit of a promise.... ie he was working/talking with them. Maybe in the meantime he learnt that WEA would take a share.
mh
Above the Chemist

GC wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 21:44
In fact he never made any promises in any regard in respect of this release, although the fact that some rather nice flyers were available at the band's merch stall back in 2019 did indicate some degree of official acceptance.

Which suggests a bit of a promise.... ie he was working/talking with them. Maybe in the meantime he learnt that WEA would take a share.
Nah, Warners never had any rights to Gift, not even back in 1986. That was why it was released independently and why Von (allegedly) didn't perform on it.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

I believe I've already said this somewhere in this thread, but Eldritch had very little interest back in 1986, so why would be give a monkey's over thirty years later? And I don't believe the " for the free money " argument. An obscure reissue on an obscure label aimed at a few goth nerds isn't going to get the cash tills ringing.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Pat
Slight Overbomber

CD remastered - Preorder . Vinyl 2023 tbc
https://viveleshop.com/collections/all/ ... _8pXt9_HvI
doctor_jeep
Amphetamine Filth

Kind of anticlimactic.
Clearly now the past mistakes
The giant steps we had to take
The path that ever promise made to