Read, read, read!!!! education, imagination, humour

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Hom_Corleone wrote:Behold The Man was the first story I read by Moorcock when I was about 12.
It got me collecting his stuff for the next 10 years.
I hold him responsible insome small part for making me who I am today. :D
jebus?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Silver_Owl
The Don

Yes I am. In some people's eyes. :innocent:

Just finished...

Just started this...

...which I supsect is going to become very addictive. :P
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

CR:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Andie
Overbomber

Spotted this lurking in Waterstones this afternoon...looks good :D

pic is a clicky for info from Titan Books
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

an illustrated version? ooooh....

i have the original book "the talisman" - read it 10+ years ago - it's one of my favourite books of all time. it's amazing :notworthy: :notworthy:

the sequel - black house - is really good too 8)

edit: found this preview of the graphic novel - http://is.gd/g9r3Rk
Debaser
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:an illustrated version? ooooh....

i have the original book "the talisman" - read it 10+ years ago - it's one of my favourite books of all time. it's amazing :notworthy: :notworthy:

the sequel - black house - is really good too 8)

edit: found this preview of the graphic novel - http://is.gd/g9r3Rk
We have a well thumbed copy here - is it the one where it starts on a beach......and they guy is STILL walking along the same fecking beach about 103 pages later :roll: Couldn't be doing with it. And now it's got pikkytures? :eek: What the hell could a picture add to the endless bloody description of a grain of blimmin sand?

There's only a few Steven King books I enjoy - and they are usually the ikkle ones when he doesn't prattle on and on and on and on and on about the minutia. I just want to slap the guy about with a wet kipper and yell 'GET ON WITH IT'

The Dark Tower mularky? Just doorstops clogging up my bookshelves. eeeeeeeeh, you lot'll be telling me 'Weaveworld' is a classic too :wink:
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

the Stephenie Meyer series. saw the movies *thanks to my kids* before realizing it was some what of a craze in the masses of all ages.

bought the hardcover series and that was hauled across half the globe :lol: but it's easy reading & having seen three of the movies already will finish it before the next movie is made.

half way through eclipse already then only have two more books to go!

:notworthy: lovely light reading in a fantasy world of love.
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
James Blast
Banned

does it have pictures?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

no dear, the mind is enough.
that ongoing eternity
James Blast
Banned

is that like films on the radio?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

:lol: yes it is! but you know if this was read like films on the radio it would have been all the ladies like Molly and her friends listening and you sound in bed sleeping...that would take at least a year to get through & Molly would get you tucked in early at night!
that ongoing eternity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

CR: H Rider Haggard King Solomon's Mines

I'm going through Project Gutenberg reading the source material for the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (or at least the ones I haven't already read).

I find the casual racism a bit disconcerting...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Silver_Owl
The Don

markfiend wrote:CR: H Rider Haggard King Solomon's Mines

I'm going through Project Gutenberg reading the source material for the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (or at least the ones I haven't already read).

Any mention of his little problem? :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Heh. None at all. ;)
—Bertrand Russell
Silver_Owl
The Don

markfiend wrote:Heh. None at all. ;)
How strange. :lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
James Blast
Banned

what, he wasn't a Mission fan was he?
~ Peter Steele
Silver_Owl
The Don

James Blast wrote:what, he wasn't a Mission fan was he?
:lol: It wasn't that bad - he was only an opium addict. :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
sultan2075
Overbomber

I loved that book when I was younger. I read it in a post-colonial literature course as an undergrad, and wrote a paper arguing that there was no deep meaning at all, it was just intended to be an adventure story for boys, no more, no less.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

finished the first one, Ringworld and was a little taken aback by it's rather abrupt ending, so i decided to crack straight on with the sequel:

more of the same, basically, but i'm enjoying it :lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

sultan2075 wrote:

I loved that book when I was younger. I read it in a post-colonial literature course as an undergrad, and wrote a paper arguing that there was no deep meaning at all, it was just intended to be an adventure story for boys, no more, no less.
Oh, I would agree with that. It's definitely a cracking good yarn.

Actually, thinking about it, it's far less racist than a lot of its near-contemporaries (Kipling or Tarzan, for two examples); for a book published in 1885 it's pretty progressive. Quatermain (and by extension Haggard) obviously has a great deal of respect for the "native" cultures he describes.

But there are still references to "savages" dotted around, and Gagool the "witch-doctress" is straight out of the Victorian stereotype factory.
—Bertrand Russell
sultan2075
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
sultan2075 wrote:

Oh, I would agree with that. It's definitely a cracking good yarn.

Actually, thinking about it, it's far less racist than a lot of its near-contemporaries (Kipling or Tarzan, for two examples); for a book published in 1885 it's pretty progressive. Quatermain (and by extension Haggard) obviously has a great deal of respect for the "native" cultures he describes.

But there are still references to "savages" dotted around, and Gagool the "witch-doctress" is straight out of the Victorian stereotype factory.
It's been ages since I've read it. Remind me: do they actually behave savagely? I've got no problem calling those who behave savagely "savages." It seems like an eminently sensible judgment to make. The Aztecs practiced human sacrifice, for example: they were savages.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
czuczu
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote:

...which I supsect is going to become very addictive. :P
Waiting for the hardback of the last volume, its a cracking read. :notworthy:
Silver_Owl
The Don

It is isn't it? :D
Only picked up the first 2 volumes so far.
Scouring ebay for the rest. :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

sultan2075 wrote:It's been ages since I've read it. Remind me: do they actually behave savagely? I've got no problem calling those who behave savagely "savages." It seems like an eminently sensible judgment to make. The Aztecs practiced human sacrifice, for example: they were savages.
:lol: when you put it like that...
—Bertrand Russell
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Recently downloaded & read (yeah, I'm all Kindle-ised these days):
  • Zoo City by Lauren Beukes
  • Moxyland by Lauren Beukes
  • Convergence Culture: Where Old and New Media Collide by Henry Jenkins
and downloaded in the "to read" file:
  • The Crimson Petal and the White by Michael Faber
  • The Holy Machine by Chris Beckett
  • The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy by Jacob Burckhardt
  • The World That Never Was by Alex Butterworth