Glasgow 07/07/11 - Jocko Homo Date

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2010 Sisters dates and the 2011 30th Anniversary tour
merrisl
Amphetamine Filth

I can see meself on that last video !!

There again, I did have me big boots on and was standing on the front platform too. Hard to miss a 7 foot tall yeti I suppose..... :lol:
Mav787
One life, all I need

merrisl
Amphetamine Filth

Dunno if this'll work or not but if so...a few crappy cell pix -

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... ee96297ccb
ieya
Road Kill

Mine taken from a bit further back - gives you a decent idea of just how overused the smoke machine was earlier on.

Have to agree that the gig definitely got better towards the end, slight shame as I do like Ribbons!

Was I alone in thinking it wouldn't have hurt to have Eldritch's mic given a bit more prominence in the mix? Felt that it was a real struggle to hear his voice at times.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

ieya wrote:Was I alone in thinking it wouldn't have hurt to have Eldritch's mic given a bit more prominence in the mix? Felt that it was a real struggle to hear his voice at times.
It's been a common complaint at Sisters gigs for quite some time now, so no, I very much doubt you were alone. Go figure.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Still waiting for a Rock and a Hard Place vid :-)
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
Mav787
One life, all I need

I think if you compare this year to a few years back his voice is much clearer now and he does put the effort in. I went to Amsterdam Paradiso a few years ago and he was nowhere to be found in the mix.

He's trying hard and he's clearly enjoying himself so long may it continue.
mandrake
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Romeo Down and a Rock and Hard place? Blimey. Oh and Arms too, groovy. Sounds like fun was had... At least somewhat different setlist. You can't win 'm all. :)
chickenhead
Amphetamine Filth

For me I thought it was mega as ever- right at the front- the smoke was right- Eldritch moving from nowhere to just there & sometimes totally there - the posing & preening from all 3 was cock sure- & the humour at the right moments- they seemed well into it to me-9 out of 10 (cos there was no Marian)
Dark
Underneath the Rock

jase wrote:I'm new to these forums and last night was my first sisters gig.

Was everyone here down the front? As you couldn't see anything at all until the final three songs. The overuse of the smoke machine was atrocious and it seemed (from my perspective) to kill the atmosphere of a potentially cracking gig.

You all seem to big fans of the band so I doubt you were outside and noticed the three fire engines that had turned up as all the smoke alarms had gone off. After that (for the final few songs) the smoke machine was switched off and it was genuinely enjoyable.

Who runs the light show? Is it the guy with all the Macbooks up in the scaffolding? I couldn't tell as he disappeared thirty seconds into the gig and didn't appear until the very end.
You're not wrong. I know it's "what they do", with all the smoke, but it was a tad ridiculous. I was right up at the front and could only just see anything. Not surprised it set off the alarms. The encore, without the smoke, was actually a lot better. Enough haze so that the lights were good beams, but you could actually see them all!

The gent up at the back was there the whole time, that's Mr Si Denbigh, singer from The March Violets. The Macbooks are Doktor Avalanche, and presumably some lighting/smoke controls.
jase
Road Kill

Dark wrote:The Macbooks are Doktor Avalanche, and presumably some lighting/smoke controls.
That would explain the excessive smoke - he could probably see the rest of the band but he's only ten feet away.
I'm glad I stayed until the end rather than heading down to the garage to see Cavalera Conspiracy as the non-smoke show was excellent.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Fairly sure The Guru runs the Apocalypse Light Show.

I for one welcome our smoky unseen overlords.

You aren't meant to see the Sisters, you're just meant to get groped by the Doktor.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Thanks for the reviews/snippets. The smoke discussion - well - go see them open air and you'll witness (usually) better sounding and looking shows :) Sisters inddor looks (again usually) like s**t if you're not close enough to the stage.

I think the smoke overkill is funny like a running gag but on the other hand the enormous lightshow is quite useless if there's too much smoke because all the "moving heads" effects can't get through the mist. A bunch of cheap PAR lights could do the same trick.

But hey, the discussion is old, boring and the band seems to be immune to feedback about this.
lachert
Overbomber

maybe if they release enough smoke one day, we can go on the stage imperceptibly and hijack the show :eek: and no one of the security will know :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
sukhoi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Husek wrote:Still waiting for a Rock and a Hard Place vid :-)

it's travelling in my cell now to airport, will download it then 8)

And - storming show, nice setlist, great warm-up!
Right On Venom And Revenge
ieya
Road Kill

DocSommer wrote:Thanks for the reviews/snippets. The smoke discussion - well - go see them open air and you'll witness (usually) better sounding and looking shows :)
Aye - first time I'd seen 'em live, so I admit I had something a little more like the live version of Ribbons on the remastered Vision Thing in mind, than what we actually heard. If that's standard for an "indoor" SoM gig then fair do's... just seemed odd for AE's vocals to sound so lost in the mix.
DocSommer wrote:But hey, the discussion is old, boring and the band seems to be immune to feedback about this.
Sadly enough still new to some of us - just never really got it together to see them live before, despite it being, er .. 18 years or so since I first heard them I guess now!
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

James Blast wrote:makes the venue look massif, which it isn't but real nice to see the COCK! that gets up on someone's shoulders at 0:58 get pulled down and pummeled (I hope) 25 seconds later ;D

Well done Weegies! :notworthy:
no, the secutrity nazis were shining torches at anybody who looked remotely like they were having fun. as noted by von when he applauded a girl for braving the torch and by him encouraging people to get up on shoulders :D :lol:

s**t moshpit ever (despite best efforts) , infact most folk seemed to be asleep :(

edit to add: there wasn't enough smoke, but that meant you could view amusing things like von grabbing his cock :von:
Goths have feelings too
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Well I wasn't there so I can't really state if that was below/above or a standard performance - that's just some rough impressions I gut from the opinions and videos I've read and seen so far.
just seemed odd for AE's vocals to sound so lost in the mix.
That's unfortunately what you can expect from an usual sisters gig - but every now and they he can perform much better - even indoors. The sound quality does also vary a lot depending on the position in the audience room. If you are standing centered and close to the stage you'll hear more vocals (mostly from the stage monitors) but thinner instrumentals - if you move back the instrumentals will kick in better but the vocals tends to fade out (more or less).

"Open air seems" to be less problematic when it comes to pushing up the vocals soundboard-wise without getting feedback problems - just search for some "mera luna 2010" videos on youtube to hear the difference.

But I can understand if a sisters gig appear like a culture shock for someone who may just know the official records or early live era^^
Pat
Slight Overbomber

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 6cee6455f1
Taken from the back of the hall so not great quality. Proof ,as if you needed it, that there wasn't too much smoke (there's always one ! ).
Sound was s**t hot from where I was standing.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

timsinister wrote: Very friendly AE though. Before Dominion "This is a song called independence", before Something Fast "This is called Terry and Julie, down by the river".

Threw cigarettes to the crowd, then his bottle of home brew.
He posed for quite a few photos as well. Usually when they were taken by cute girls. Especially the really cute one standing near me. He posed for her a few times.
Batty Von Blingtrash
Amphetamine Filth

Not sure who the posing was aimed at, but it was impressive and sustained: didnt quite know where to look: all my photos are groin grabbingly good lol :)

Thanks all for a really fun night, enjoyed the gig very much and it was really nice that folk took time to get in touch about where they were before/after.

To the person who was trying to get me to eat the deep fried black pudding-thanks, i think :-/ :)
Somebody tell me about the rhythm of the 4th floor.
lachert
Overbomber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2o915wfdb0
where is "a rock and a hard place" video? :eek: damn! :x
long live rock'n'roll
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Bill Hicks wrote:Any new merch?

Any new merch?

Any new merch?

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:
Evening,left Glasgow on the 11.05 train to Edinburgh,arrived in Nottingham at 6.20. Then got one last train back here,been home about half an hour.Splendid couple of days I thought.
Merch? Gift and Hot Metal shirts as mentioned and f**k Me And Marry Me Young all with Sisters Reptile Backprints,and a burnout womens version of f**k Me.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
mh
Above the Chemist

Home safe. Awesome stuff as usual, even if the gig itself felt a little on the ramshackle/shambolic side to me. Voice was nice and clear and quite loud from where I was.

Sorry I had to bunk out of the aftershow; went for a smoke and as soon as I hit the fresh air I just knew I'd had enough. I blame old age. Or too much alcohol. Or both. :lol:

(Missed a deep-fried black pudding too, and I so much wanted to try one - that looked amazing!)
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Big Si
School Bully

weebleswobble wrote:Brilliant day, brilliant night. so-so gig, but made good by some excellent company. thanks to everyone for making it such a Top Nite Oot.
Aye it was great to meet up with old friends and make some new ones.

I don't remember leaving the aftershow party or how I even managed to get home. Arriving at work 3 hours late I certainly do not recommend :oops: :twisted:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis