Andrew Eldritch: Why won't you release a new Sisters LP?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Mid 90's I think. It might be an old issue of UTR, or maybe an interview from the period.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

sultan2075 wrote:Someone sent a fax, possibly to the wrong person, saying scheduling was bad (an album release on the same day as Simply Red or something). Someone took offense. 20 years later, there will never be another record.
Yeah, that rings a bell with me too. Must be on this site somewhere cos I don't think I'd have come across it anywhere else.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Still at least we have lots of great Simply Red records to listen to.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Dan
Overbomber

Lots of albums get released on the same day. Simply Red are so unlike the Sisters their album release would pose no threat at all. Was April 1st the release date by any chance?
Paulito
Road Kill

radiojamaica wrote:
Being645 wrote:What admin mistake, btw? ... :eek: ...
Wasn't there a leaked contract or summat?
http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic. ... f3240dd465

"What happened to the 1991 truce with East West which involved Sisters records retaining WEA distribution in America (to satisfy Time Warner) and coming out via Mute (to satisfy the band - and Mute)?

We had to get away from Elektra, but we weren't allowed to move outside the Warner family. Mute was the only Warner-distributed label to have any interest in the band, and we liked them. We were getting on fine until the first Sisters/Mute record was due to come out.

Mute sent a fax to London, telling East West that East West's poor scheduling would damage the band in America. Nothing unusual (in our case) about the fax or its content. Unfortunately Mute sent a copy to Andrew, whereupon East West terminated the deal.

Since then the Sisters have had no representation in America. Having been on Elektra, we haven't really noticed the difference"
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Paulito wrote:
radiojamaica wrote:
Being645 wrote:What admin mistake, btw? ... :eek: ...
Wasn't there a leaked contract or summat?
http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic. ... f3240dd465

"What happened to the 1991 truce with East West which involved Sisters records retaining WEA distribution in America (to satisfy Time Warner) and coming out via Mute (to satisfy the band - and Mute)?

We had to get away from Elektra, but we weren't allowed to move outside the Warner family. Mute was the only Warner-distributed label to have any interest in the band, and we liked them. We were getting on fine until the first Sisters/Mute record was due to come out.

Mute sent a fax to London, telling East West that East West's poor scheduling would damage the band in America. Nothing unusual (in our case) about the fax or its content. Unfortunately Mute sent a copy to Andrew, whereupon East West terminated the deal.

Since then the Sisters have had no representation in America. Having been on Elektra, we haven't really noticed the difference"
Oh yes, thanks paulito ... now I remember ... :) ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

So it was East West who threw the toys out of the pram first? I suppose I'm pleasantly surprised at that...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
sultan2075
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:So it was East West who threw the toys out of the pram first? I suppose I'm pleasantly surprised at that...
One can never know, really: "'I did that' says my memory. I couldn’t have done that – says my pride, and stands its ground. Finally, memory gives in.'
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Dan
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:So it was East West who threw the toys out of the pram first? I suppose I'm pleasantly surprised at that...
Presumably Andrew threw his toys out of the pram, since I doubt East West would have made such a decision on their own.
Prescott
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

H. Blackrose wrote:
Prescott wrote:How would you know what he does and does not care about?
http://www.thesistersofmercy.com/misc/deardok.htm
Why don't you just keep towing the company line?
You misspelled "toeing". Hope this helps. Also, I actually agree with Von's stated reasons for not releasing a new album: a) they wouldn't make any money out of it; (b) he's happy with what the Sisters are doing right now; (c) if you want to hear the new songs, go to YouTube.
Sounds like something, the same girl, wearing the red shoes on MySpace would say, if she wasn't so busy being a bother on FaceBook ... Andrew.
"... because we're that kind of people."