my favourite painter

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Debaser wrote:Biff, Chip and Floppy book (Oxford Reading Tree at it's finest)
OH GOD! THE FLASHBACKS!
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

I'm not sure who the artist is but I rather like this painting

I also quite like the artist that did a lot of Burzum album covers but I don't think they're paintings :wink:
doc P
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

exhibition in my homwtown started today
Es ist grausam.
Dafür hat es aufgehört zu regnen.
mik
Chameleons Guru

Dali
Rothko
Kandinsky / László Moholy-Nagy / Klee and the rest of the Weimar Bauhuas crew
To be honest, and it looks like Mr Fiend's with me on this, I don't do a bomb on figurative work. Francis Bacons pretty good though.
Sculpture wise its Barbara Hepworth, Henry Moore and our man Damien Hirst.
Something pithy.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I am indeed with you mik. Figurative painting is dead, and has been since the Post-Impressionists ;)

And I'm glad to see another Rothko fan. I spent hours in the Rothko room at the Tate when I first saw it. :notworthy: I simply must see the Rothko Chapel at some point.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mik
Chameleons Guru

My first real experience of Rothko was at the old Tate Gallery (now Tate Britain) and I was just blown away by the sheer scale of some of the canvases. You really can't appreciate the emotional impact of these canvases by looking at a postcard or Athena reproduction - although I've got one from MoMA NYC in my hallway :) - It was like walking into a cathedral; it can just make your heart stop while your brain struggles to cope with the visual signals.

Very, very powerful.

Pollocks's work is the same imho.

Actually, whilst saying size isn't everything I've seen some massive canvases by Dali, Pollock, Rothko, Monet (Waterlilies) and some of the more mainstream artists, and its a bit like the difference between watching a film on TV and watching the same film in CinemaScope (or better still IMAX) with SenSurround. When the image fills your peripheral vision as well as your 'central' vision you get the sense that you're being consumed by it.

Which can be unsettling, but also exhilerating.
Something pithy.
biggy

mik wrote:and our man Damien Hirst.

Make that "your" man Mik. You can fuckin have him. :wink:
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

mik wrote:Dali
Rothko
Kandinsky / László Moholy-Nagy / Klee and the rest of the Weimar Bauhuas crew
To be honest, and it looks like Mr Fiend's with me on this, I don't do a bomb on figurative work. Francis Bacons pretty good though.
Sculpture wise its Barbara Hepworth, Henry Moore and our man Damien Hirst.
There are times when I can really appreciate Rothko, but, god, the man's work is thoroughly depressing. Now obviously he made it that way deliberately (and as such it shows a great understanding of the use of colour to control and manipulate emotions in the viewer) but it's the equivalent of being forced to listen to Morissey for 24 hours. Pollock is better (by not being such a miserable c**t) but too much macho posturing.

The Bauhaus crew I'm not too keen on - too anal in most cases. The full blown Expressionist movement in Germany rocks my boat far more, but I always liked (good, challenging) figurative work.

Sculpture - Giacometti is about the only 'proper' sculptor I like (but, as I mentioned earlier, his paintings are better). For other 3D work I'd go for Rauschenberg, Joseph Cornell, Marc Quinn and Rachel Whiteread. Hirst is a great marketer, but a p*ss poor artist (IMHO) - I appreciate the joke, but I like substance not just style.
James Blast
Banned

I'm not a big fan of the 3-D, I tend to prefer architects, I like Calder... sometimes
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Harry

He paints houses and I used to get skunky wunky off him, but it made me really paranoid so I stopped.

He still paints houses though, he is a lovely chap.

I fear this is called off topic
:urff:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

lazarus corporation wrote:Hirst is a great marketer, but a p*ss poor artist (IMHO) - I appreciate the joke, but I like substance not just style.
I'd agree with you there. You have to admit, he knows his target market :lol:

Although last time I was in NL, me and Kerry went to Den Haag and Hirst's sculpture that's based on the old collecting box / polio girl was there. I liked that piece.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mugabe

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:I'm not sure who the artist is but I rather like this painting

[Blood, Fire, Death]
Peter Nicolai Arbo.
Brideoffrankenstein wrote:I also quite like the artist that did a lot of Burzum album covers but I don't think they're paintings :wink:
Theodor Kittelsen.
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

mugabe wrote:
Brideoffrankenstein wrote:I'm not sure who the artist is but I rather like this painting

[Blood, Fire, Death]
Peter Nicolai Arbo.
Brideoffrankenstein wrote:I also quite like the artist that did a lot of Burzum album covers but I don't think they're paintings :wink:
Theodor Kittelsen.
:D :notworthy:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Read about something I quite liked in today's newspaper:

Gilbert & George
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
James Blast
Banned

one trick ponies IMO Z
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Hmm, could well be, had never heard of 'em before and on a first reading it didn't seem too negative. The paintings I found online came close to rip-off stuff indeed though. Actually was waiting for someone who knew about them to say if they're any good :lol:

Not worth the effort of further investigation then, I guess 8)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
James Blast
Banned

no, G+G are worth investigating it's just they have been churning out the same old piss for decades :lol:
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Alright :lol: :lol: :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

James Blast wrote:no, G+G are worth investigating it's just they have been churning out the same old piss for decades :lol:
totally agree - it worked for a bit but they've been churning this formulaic stuff out for decades
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Hey, when you've got a formula that good, why change it?

I'd forgotten about G+G; I think they're fabulous.
—Bertrand Russell
mik
Chameleons Guru

Anthony Gormley
Something pithy.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

despite their obsession with sailers, young "native" boys, and other such homo-erotica, i love the composition and treatment that pierre & gilles apply to their "photos". the marc almond/devil picture is stunning, as is their work on the video for "a lover spurned" 8) :notworthy:

and as stated somewhere above, aubrey beardsley is surely the last word in swirly black art nouveau/goth pixie artwork :lol: :D

i also have a soft spot for ed gorey's illustrations :D :von: :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?