Which band/singer is better than the Sisters?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Not even a little slow dance to Careless Whisper :?: :innocent:

No - me neither :!: :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
9while9
Slight Overbomber
Location: Parts Unknown or Isle of Tonga (whichever you prefer).

Hom_Corleone wrote:Not even a little slow dance to Careless Whisper :?: :innocent:

The very idea is Otterly preposterous. :lol:
"An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why." - William Faulkner

-Me, I'm inspired by my DarkAngel.
Silver_Owl
The Don

9while9 wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:Not even a little slow dance to Careless Whisper :?: :innocent:

:notworthy: :lol: :notworthy:

Do you think George Michael is an otter enthusiast?
Is this still on topic? :)
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
GMC
Road Kill

[quote="Badlander
BTW I don't like Rosetta Stone at all but I do like FotN very much.

@ GMC : doing something because you think that's what "real" Sisters fans do is very "unSisters". ;D[/quote]

Yep. But for some reason no one got the joke. Sorry all, I guess I'm being a bit too deadpan... As I've mentioned before the Mish isn't crap (well, not entirely), and they rip of Zeppelin much worse than the Sisters (Heck the Sisters rip off Zeppelin more than...oh skip it).
Flowers on the Razor Wire.
DarkAngel
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

9while9 wrote:

Lately Nine's been on a whampage :twisted: and no amount of begging and pleading will make him stop.
Badlander
Overbomber

GMC wrote: Yep. But for some reason no one got the joke. Sorry all, I guess I'm being a bit too deadpan... As I've mentioned before the Mish isn't crap (well, not entirely), and they rip of Zeppelin much worse than the Sisters (Heck the Sisters rip off Zeppelin more than...oh skip it).
Led Zep is one of the biggest plagiarist in rock & roll history anyway (still, it's quite a nice act if you don't take that into account).
So I guess ripping off the ripper (?) isn't that serious an offence from a moral point of view. ;D :von:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

@ bismark. please take note, the s**t above is how, apparently, you stay on topic :lol: :lol:

the neph were nothing like the sisters [apart from the pigeon-holing that is]. :?

the mish were/are a nice [media] friendly version of the sisters. you could have a laugh at a m*****n gig :notworthy: :notworthy:

rosetta stone never made a secret of their influences :roll:
Goths have feelings too
Muppet
Amphetamine Filth

The EARLY Nephilim were a little cartoony, and there was some Sisters influence there; the image, the deep voice; but that's about all - the rest was just VERY lazy pigeonholing. But since Dawnrazor, they've basically ploughed their own furrow - there's nobody else like them at all, really. (or if there is, tell me, cos I'd like to hear them!)

And I don't really see a comparison between the Zep and the Mish... I find Zep,, for the most part a bit boring (too many solos etc) whereas the Mish have "distilled and perfected" what was good about Zep. Now there's heresy for you! :notworthy: :D
"You've a pretty good command of English, for a vole..."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I enjoy the Nephs, and while it could (IMO unjustly) be said that they're just Sisters clones, McCoy has increasingly, like Muppet says, done his own thing since the early days. And I personally find the cod-Assyriana and pseudo-mysticism quite intriguing :lol:

The Mis$ion are as they should be really. A few decent(ish) songs, and there are some enduring memories involved with a bottle of Bull's Blood, Severina on the stereo, and a young gothic maiden... :oops:

As for Rosetta Stone, I don't see the problem. It's all good for a laugh, innit? ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Jaimie1980

Joy Division, Killing Joke and The Doors are up there alongside Sisters for me.
The Green Lantern

Badlander wrote: Led Zep is one of the biggest plagiarist in rock & roll history anyway (still, it's quite a nice act if you don't take that into account).
So I guess ripping off the ripper (?) isn't that serious an offence from a moral point of view. ;D :von:
Who did Led Zeppelin plagiarize then? I thought they were first to use worn out, low cut, bell bottom jeans that showed the 'bulge' ...
GMC
Road Kill

Von also rips people off something fierce, and I don't mean just Lennie. Neil Young and David Bowie are the main victims during the Floodland-VT period. That I've noticed.
Flowers on the Razor Wire.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

The Green Lantern wrote:
Badlander wrote: Led Zep is one of the biggest plagiarist in rock & roll history anyway (still, it's quite a nice act if you don't take that into account).
Who did Led Zeppelin plagiarize then? I thought they were first to use worn out, low cut, bell bottom jeans that showed the 'bulge' ...
:lol:

jimmy stole riffs every blues guitarist there ever were

bonzo stole his drumming technique from JCB

plant stole his wailing from a strangled cat

i loves 'em ;D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
The Green Lantern

Quiff Boy wrote:

i loves 'em ;D
I was talking bulge-exposing... :D Just kidding. You gotta love them. I remember watching The song remains the Same and during one of Jimmys solos I had time to cook a meal, eat it and do the dishes. :lol:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

The Green Lantern wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:

i loves 'em ;D
I was talking bulge-exposing... :D Just kidding. You gotta love them. I remember watching The song remains the Same and during one of Jimmys solos I had time to cook a meal, eat it and do the dishes. :lol:
:lol: definitely :lol: :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Mokarran
Road Kill

Heh-heh! I enjoyed reading some of the outraged comments of the sword and sorcery crowd, especially Wild Bill. Look at the other bands/artistes on my brief list of 'likes' - none of them are what you'd call critically watertight. I've gone through my whole life good naturedly defending some of the musical curiosities that have amused or appealed to me, but if you don't get it, you don't get it.

So, Wild Bill says: 'Personally I couldn't give a f**k about analysing either McCoy or Hussey's lyrics.'

Fair enough, my cowboy friend. I too have better things with which to occupy myself...I imagine it would be like falling into a rather shallow puddle...

No - I don't have a downer on those bands because of the jejeune lyrics, musical cliches or sheer, mind-numbing lack of charisma. I was just expressing a personal view that the lessons they learned from Von were not sufficient to ensure them the sort of immortality I strongly suspect the Sisters are destined to enjoy.

I think someone misunderstood my comments about 'the intial theme'. I'm not so sure Von would reject his early work, whether it be live or studio. His own notes on 'Some Girls..' suggest a fondness for the work. I don't think he's ever taken his wadrobe that seriously, so I really wouldn't get all hung up on black clothes if I were you. For me, the intital theme was not mordant introspection or etherial musing, but weapon-grade, no-looking-back, red-raw hedonism in the face of oblivion, tinged with wit, insight and a perfectly-judged measure of malice. 'Utterly Bastard Groovy' as someone put it.

That's why I love the Sisters, and always will.

Finally, I should apologise to Overbomber. Of course, my intrusion is a bit rude...but a thread asking folk to list their 'likes' does invite the inevitable outrage when we step beyond what we have in common. So yes...I am rude...but seldom serious.

My regards,

Mokarran
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Mokarran wrote:...weapon-grade, no-looking-back, red-raw hedonism in the face of oblivion, tinged with wit, insight and a perfectly-judged measure of malice. 'Utterly Bastard Groovy' as someone put it.

That's why I love the Sisters, and always will.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Mokarran wrote:... weapons-grade, no-looking-back, red-raw hedonism in the face of oblivion, tinged with wit, insight and a perfectly-judged measure of malice.

Indeed, well said again. Rarely have I heard such a note-perfect summation of the (early) Sisters' appeal / weltanschauung. Who are you, man?
paint it black wrote:@ bismark. please take note, the s**t above is how, apparently, you stay on topic

the neph were nothing like the sisters [apart from the pigeon-holing that is].

the mish were/are a nice [media] friendly version of the sisters. you could have a laugh at a m*****n gig

rosetta stone never made a secret of their influences
PiB: You're quite right about Rosetta Stone, they're pretty up-front about their "influences." I mean, dear God, has anyone seen the key art from the "On The Side Of Angels" LP? It's hilarious. The only Neph records I've heard are "Dawnrazor" and the "Power" 12". Quite a few good souls whose opinions I respect (that means you) have said they're not half-bad, so maybe I ought to climb off my horse and have a listen. Album recommendations? The Mish... I don't know, man, maybe there's something that happens (or used to happen) at their gigs that makes them enjoyable? Makes it possible to "have a laugh" as you said? As I've never been to one, I can't say. But based solely on their records (again, the early 12" singles and "God's Own Medicine" are the only ones I've heard) I can't really see the good-times a-rollin' there.

But just to stay on-topic here: I really do heartily recommend the bands Swans and Foetus to Sisters fans. Don't let the names fool you: Swans are heavy, Foetus is mostly jazz.

I guess I should end this with the standard, obligatory "it's just my opinion" stuff... but as my opinion is the correct one, I'll leave it out. :wink:
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I think you'll find quite a few Swans fans already here bismarck. Myself for one. 8)
—Bertrand Russell
jay

and Foetus fans too
I no longer get very wrought up over the liminals

Mokarran
Road Kill

'Swans are heavy'

That's putting it mildly. I suffered lasting damage to my inner ear at a Swans gig.

It was worth it!
wild bill buttock
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Mokarran wrote:Heh-heh! I enjoyed reading some of the outraged comments of the sword and sorcery crowd, especially Wild Bill. Look at the other bands/artistes on my brief list of 'likes' - none of them are what you'd call critically watertight. I've gone through my whole life good naturedly defending some of the musical curiosities that have amused or appealed to me, but if you don't get it, you don't get it.

So, Wild Bill says: 'Personally I couldn't give a f**k about analysing either McCoy or Hussey's lyrics.'

Fair enough, my cowboy friend. I too have better things with which to occupy myself...I imagine it would be like falling into a rather shallow puddle...

No - I don't have a downer on those bands because of the jejeune lyrics, musical cliches or sheer, mind-numbing lack of charisma. I was just expressing a personal view that the lessons they learned from Von were not sufficient to ensure them the sort of immortality I strongly suspect the Sisters are destined to enjoy.
Oh god,I'm so outraged the tears are rolling down my face.You're witty and highly original goth bashing has left me a quivering wreck.Never again shall I don black and listen to those plagerist bastards The Nephilim or The m*****n.
You are so right in all ways that I am truly ashamed at my pathetic gothness.
Obviously you should be able to go on a forum of a band who's finest acheivment was virtually inventing the musical genre that has become known as gothic rock and expect it to be free from those pesky,miserable,narsistic goths.
You should be able to insult everything they stand for without them answering back or defending their lifestyle choice.

For f**k sake man,goth bashing is such a passe crock of s**t.You really think I am outraged by you're narrow minded,ill informed bull s**t!
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
jay

Mokarran wrote:'Swans are heavy'

That's putting it mildly. I suffered lasting damage to my inner ear at a Swans gig.

It was worth it!
I've only got Love of Life LP, that isn't what I'd class as heavy.
Is there other stuff worth checking out?
I no longer get very wrought up over the liminals

Badlander
Overbomber

Mokarran wrote:Heh-heh! I enjoyed reading some of the outraged comments of the sword and sorcery crowd, especially Wild Bill.
Now just try and tell me you're not a troll and I will have a laugh. :innocent:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Dark
Underneath the Rock

wild bill buttock wrote:Oh god,I'm so outraged the tears are rolling down my face.You're witty and highly original goth bashing has left me a quivering wreck.Never again shall I don black and listen to those plagerist bastards The Nephilim or The m*****n.
You are so right in all ways that I am truly ashamed at my pathetic gothness.
Obviously you should be able to go on a forum of a band who's finest acheivment was virtually inventing the musical genre that has become known as gothic rock and expect it to be free from those pesky,miserable,narsistic goths.
You should be able to insult everything they stand for without them answering back or defending their lifestyle choice.

For f**k sake man,goth bashing is such a passe crock of s**t.You really think I am outraged by you're narrow minded,ill informed bull s**t!
Image Can I get a "Revr'nd" here, people?