All that's wrong with GOTH

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
James Blast
Banned

do you pair ever switch of the computer and have a conversation face to face?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Jaimie1980
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

The couple in question look a bit silly,sure. That said so do alot of mainstream types. An understated look is far better I think.
DarkAngel
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

James Blast wrote:do you pair ever switch of the computer and have a conversation face to face?
Nope :( O.K. Sometimes when 9 isn't being a bastard! :wink:
Last edited by DarkAngel on 08 Jun 2006, 01:36, edited 2 times in total.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

metalorange wrote:Well, according to Timsinister, Goths are narrow-minded
Tim Sinister wrote:We're quibbling about the different factions of Goff and which is 'right' or 'wrong', when essentially it's the PEOPLE who decide whether or not it works out.
Badlander
Overbomber

metalorange wrote:Well, according to Timsinister, Goths are narrow-minded
And I can say from experience he's not totally wrong. Well it may not be specific to goffs, but quite a good number of them just didn't want to know about the roots and origins of their music. Apparently they weren't interested.
Somehow they imagined that it had all started in the late 70s-early 80s and that goff had nothing to do with glam-rock, psychedelic, prog-rock, metal... Goff was the best, but The Velvet Underground, David Bowie, Motörhead, Pink Floyd, Kraftwerk... sucked. How sad is that ?
Of course it's only one man's experience... :wink:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
wild bill buttock
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Sorry Badlander but I totally disagree.
Glam-rock was very much standard fare during the early goth days.Even now Ziggy stardust,Virginia plain and Venus in furs will still get 'em on the dancefloors at any goth do.
I was bought up on rock and progo thanks to a rockhead elder brother and a hippy elder sister.My teen years were early punk and Nwobhm.late 80's Goth was a glorious mix of everything I'd loved before.
I wore a Motorhead T-shirt to my first Neph gig in 87 ,thinking I was being anarchic and was a little troubled to see a great many others had had the same thought.
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
Badlander
Overbomber

wild bill buttock wrote:Sorry Badlander but I totally disagree.
You must be one of the good guys then. :wink:
All I can say is that I quit because those goffs I knew were pretty narrow-minded and intolerant indeed. But that was in the early-mid 90s, and at that point things were already quite different I guess. Also that was Strasbourg, France, not London or any other major UK city. Goff was quite a small club there. And they thought they were soooooo clever. :urff:
Last edited by Badlander on 07 Jun 2006, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
Big Si
School Bully

I think me and Mr Blast agree that as long as the burdz have big boobs then who f***in' cares :wink:

As for Scotty, I think he prefers a bit of leg :lol:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Badlander
Overbomber

Oh and by the by I do remember a goff DJ who used to play unexpected stuff like Kate Bush ( :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ) and Carmina burana.
The trouble is that only a minority actually appreciated the effort. :(
The others probably thought it wasn't "dark enough". :roll:
wild bill buttock

I will agree with you,Badlander, that there was a faction within goth(and still is)that just take it far too seriously.Usually these are people who have just got into it and dress like the two twats in the original picture.They're a bit like born again christians in their attitude that there is but one true faith and everything else is a sin.
usually they last a couple of years at the outside.
I also left the Goth scene around the mid 90's,for a couple of years,as it became infested with these preening wankers.
Fortunately it is very different now,there is a real sense of community amongst the older goths generally.
It is much more about the music than looking like an extra from Carry on screaming.
wild bill buttock

Badlander wrote:Oh and by the by I do remember a goff DJ who used to play unexpected stuff like Kate Bush ( :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: )
Cop a load of this then http://youtube.com/watch?v=cD3yx7C6jws& ... bush%20wow :eek:
Now that was a woman :!:
canon docre
Overbomber

In my teenager times it was us (TSOM-Punk-Rock n'Roll-leather-slight-tendency-towards-metal) against them (THE CURE-crushed-velvet-candles-astrology-and-other-romantic-s**t).

We all had backcombed hair. :urff: :lol:
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
Badlander
Overbomber

canon docre wrote:In my teenager times it was us (TSOM-Punk-Rock n'Roll-leather-slight-tendency-towards-metal) against them (THE CURE-crushed-velvet-candles-astrology-and-other-romantic-s**t).
The Cure have no more to do with crushed velvet and black magic than the Girls have. Which is very little. :roll:
In the 60s it would have been rockers against mods I guess. :wink: :lol:
canon docre
Overbomber

Badlander wrote:
canon docre wrote:In my teenager times it was us (TSOM-Punk-Rock n'Roll-leather-slight-tendency-towards-metal) against them (THE CURE-crushed-velvet-candles-astrology-and-other-romantic-s**t).
The Cure have no more to do with crushed velvet and black magic than the Girls have. Which is very little. :roll:
In the 60s it would have been rockers against mods I guess. :wink: :lol:
I know. But who cares, if you need an enemy to pogo-dance against? :lol:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i guess its different from country to country, and even from city to city, but my experiences of the manchester goff scene of the very late 80s and the first two thirds of the 90s pretty much echoes wild bill's.

there wasn't really any of that "us v them" stuff canon docre mentions between the sisters' type of goths & the cure type of goth fans... most people i knew were just as happy to dance to inbetween days and 100 years as they were body electric and walk away... me included :D

from what i saw of the leeds scene - mainly the phono & rickies, and a bit of the warehouse - around the same time (from my infrequent visits every couple of months) it seemed very similar to manc too.

never went out to any other city often enough to get a true picture of the "vibe"
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
boudicca
Sister Midnight

It was f**king great.

Naysayers f**k off.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
wild bill buttock

Quiff Boy wrote:
there wasn't really any of that "us v them" stuff canon docre mentions between the sisters' type of goths & the cure type of goth fans
There was a bit of friendly rivalry in Birmingham between the punky goths and the Dandy fop goths during the mid 80's(Sorry to disapoint you lot but the vast majority of Sisters fans in those days were in the latter section :innocent: )but it was all pretty friendly stuff,and gum shields weren't really required when the wrecking got started 8).Unless the psycho billies got involved,Bastards!
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

boudicca wrote:It was f**king great.

Naysayers f**k off.
You simply cannot argue with that
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
RobF

wild bill buttock wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:
there wasn't really any of that "us v them" stuff canon docre mentions between the sisters' type of goths & the cure type of goth fans
There was a bit of friendly rivalry in Birmingham between the punky goths and the Dandy fop goths during the mid 80's(Sorry to disapoint you lot but the vast majority of Sisters fans in those days were in the latter section :innocent: )but it was all pretty friendly stuff,and gum shields weren't really required when the wrecking got started 8).Unless the psycho billies got involved,Bastards!
The amount of psychobillies with faded blue sisters tats from 83 is quite scary, and has led me to some frightening evenings drinking with men called things like "Pickaxe Steve" over the years. Gotta love 'em, unless they're dancing at you.

If it helps, I looked like Johnny Slut for about a year, but I still think those two in Leipzig look like a prissy pair of gimps with no piggin' idea. ;D
"...by the time I get to Arizona..."
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

RobF wrote: psychobillies
does anyone else remember the nutbags that had pointy quiff/crew cut thingimibobs, and beer towels sewn onto their clothes-listened to King Kurt and battered each other on the dancefloor?

No?

Coat, getting, gone :)
wild bill buttock

Them was your actual psychobillies.And where have they all gone?
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

wild bill buttock wrote:Them was your actual psychobillies.And where have they all gone?
Local Government
canon docre
Overbomber

Demented are go were great. :notworthy:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Aye, the Psychobillies were fookin terrifying.

And like I said, I can't exactly cast stones...

I went out in one of Mrs Fiend's frocks once ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Debaser
Overbomber

weebleswobble wrote:
RobF wrote: psychobillies
does anyone else remember the nutbags that had pointy quiff/crew cut thingimibobs, and beer towels sewn onto their clothes-listened to King Kurt and battered each other on the dancefloor?
:)
Remember?? They were the stuff of my dreams :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else