Bands you wish....

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
James Blast
Banned

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Warlock and the Great Kat,
oh, you so funny IZ :lol: :lol: :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
CommodoreRock
Amphetamine Filth

Regrets:

Christian Death in '94 (Valor era)...I never really ever got to like them much and never understood what the hype was about, but I respect that Rozz William's tenure was at least what is considered their essential stuff. I was just getting into that sort of music, whatever that sort of music is, and I indiscrimanantly went to every "modern rock" show that came to town (Tuesday's Communion at NYC's Limelight) to soak in what it was all about. I had no idea about the band's history at the time and that Valor's group was not really CD. Live and learn I guess. The worst part of it is that amid equipment failure and poor presentation, an angry Valor went on a temper tantrum and shouted some not very nice things into the crowd, informing them he had their money already so their loss.

Type O Negative back in the early to mid 90s (about 7 times, which is 7 times too many, imo) This is a group who, if they just took the time to actually write decent lyrics and make better judgements structure-wise, could have been quite good. But between awful lyrics and songs that dragged on about seven minutes too long, thay really achieved far more than they should have in terms of record sales and that I wasted far too much time and money on. In fairness, they were a gateway for me into better music, and I suppose I owe them that. I'd have never appreciated the vocal style of Andrew Eldritch or probably even heard of The Sisters otherwise.

Overkill. I was dragged there. They are responsible for my discovery of the above mentioned TON. I have nothing to say other than it was not my thing and it is 2 hours of my life I can never get back.

Rosetta Stone. Same year as Christian Death. Two guys prancing around a stage playing Sisters knockoffs, one of them making the same crowd misjudjement someone previously mentioned about Nick Fiend: diving off the stage as the crowd did their impression of the Red Sea. Das Ich, who played later that night made it all worthwhile though.

NIN 2006. Peaches and Bauhaus made it worth it. I just can't handle certain aspects of NIN's fanbase. And he needs to get a new Schtick.

The Ocean Blue (reunion) If they spent as much time playing as they did complaining about sound levels, I wouldn't have had to walk out on it. It's a small club. Deal with it. Don't be such a perfectionist and play yer guitar. Bratmobile was quite good though.
James Blast
Banned

FOAD!
Type O at the Glasgow Garage is my most very favourite gig ever.
And it snowed onstage! :twisted:

oh, and welcome BTW :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
CommodoreRock
Amphetamine Filth

Perhaps I'm sometimes too hard on them. I'll always have a place for them I guess. I didn't mean to rub any Type O fans the wrong way. I was always just waiting for that great dark rock masterpiece, but the closest they ever came was Bloody Kisses in my opinion. I can certainly take a joke, but it would have been nice for them to evolve into a band that more closely resembled the ones Peter Steele admired (Cocteau Twins and Dead Can Dance to name a few).

In fairness, the live shows were better than their self deprecating humor implied. I guess that for some time now, they just are not my thing anymore. But when they were, I loved them. And as I said, they were a gateway for me to appreciate things like The Sisters, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, The Chameleons, pre-Electric/Sonic Temple era Cult etc.
James Blast
Banned

Good rejoinder CR and there aren't many T-O-N fans around here.
I think you will find this place a real tonic, I tried and gave up on Carrie's T-O-N forum, it was too cliquey and American (ie. NY) based.

Welome to a kinder, better land!
James :D
~ Peter Steele
Badlander
Overbomber

CommodoreRock wrote: Christian Death in '94 (Valor era)...
Same thing happened to my little brother back in 97, just before Rozz died. I was in the UK at that time and he was still home in France. He'd known about CDeath from my CDs and tapes, but didn't want to admit that his older bro knew a thing or two about music. Especially that two bands basically shared the same name. So he went to the gig thinking it would be a Iconologia-kind of event... :roll: :lol: 8)

He also didn't know a goff audience would be so passive. :von:

Oh and welcome to HL by the way. :notworthy:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

I once got a free ticket for a Marillion gig (not with Fish but the other fellow). It was absolutely horrible. I did not leave but went to the bar to drink whiskey. :)
"as we walk on the floodland"
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Don't think I've ever paid to go to a gig and regretted it.

Went to a free music festival thing in Glasgow Botanical Gairdens a couple of years ago. Belle and Sebastian were headlining, but I didn't even make it that far. The first band on were pish, the second were pisher, and the third were so f**king awful I walked out.

And not crap but still embarrassing - Bon Jovi playing an acoustic set from the window of Tower Records in Glasgow in 1995. Although, if memory serves, the pill was sweetened slightly by Heather Locklear being in attendance...
анархия
Ramone
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I've seen some shocking bands in my life time; I tend to find that the band usually play to their strengths but it's the 'lead singers' on-stage behaviour that leaves the lasting impression in your mind.

Iron Maiden ; Donnignton (date escapes me) (between songs tell us all that he didn't get into the band for the women,drugs and drink but for the MUSIC - I've never seen so many people laugh so hard at one man)

The Cult: Birmingham Arena 1990. Anything Astbury says in that fake American accent whilst on stage in England. Coming from a man who convinced himsefl he was ared Indian and despised the 'coca cola nation' to sounding like Tim Westwood.

That Guitarist: I love the bloke but not any amount of warm p*ss weak white wine could excuse some of his waffle- and how we could take anyone seriously in a dress and hat and stubble was stretching things to the limit.

Any gig with Restoration and that very dodgy band with the hearse(?) they where shocking.

The Fields of the Nephilim: Virtually every show.With their sponsorship deal with McDougalls flour and the local fancy dress shop they should of been huge. But it was McCoys ' mumbling over the songs that did it for me. And they took it so seriously. Car mechanic by day - Carry on Cowboy by night - it was hilarious.

Slayer : Nottingham Rock City : Insane ! Not laughed in my life so hard during the first 15 mintues - ended up loving it.

I'll think of a few more...I'm shocked you lot have not mentioned Rosetta and the m*****n more to try and wind me up - but you know I'd probably agree with you lot anyway :)
"It was great that Kurt Cobain shot himself when he did..cos without that ,we'd have no Foo Fighters today" :Ramone, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever. November 2008
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Ramone wrote:I've seen some shocking bands in my life time; I tend to find that the band usually play to their strengths but it's the 'lead singers' on-stage behaviour that leaves the lasting impression in your mind.

Iron Maiden ; Donnignton (date escapes me) (between songs tell us all that he didn't get into the band for the women,drugs and drink but for the MUSIC - I've never seen so many people laugh so hard at one man)

The Cult: Birmingham Arena 1990. Anything Astbury says in that fake American accent whilst on stage in England. Coming from a man who convinced himsefl he was ared Indian and despised the 'coca cola nation' to sounding like Tim Westwood.

That Guitarist: I love the bloke but not any amount of warm p*ss weak white wine could excuse some of his waffle- and how we could take anyone seriously in a dress and hat and stubble was stretching things to the limit.

Any gig with Restoration and that very dodgy band with the hearse(?) they where shocking.

The Fields of the Nephilim: Virtually every show.With their sponsorship deal with McDougalls flour and the local fancy dress shop they should of been huge. But it was McCoys ' mumbling over the songs that did it for me. And they took it so seriously. Car mechanic by day - Carry on Cowboy by night - it was hilarious.

Slayer : Nottingham Rock City : Insane ! Not laughed in my life so hard during the first 15 mintues - ended up loving it.

I'll think of a few more...I'm shocked you lot have not mentioned Rosetta and the m*****n more to try and wind me up - but you know I'd probably agree with you lot anyway :)
:lol:

from what i understand, McCoy was a dab hand fixing up old minis ;D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ramone wrote:...that very dodgy band with the hearse(?) they where shocking...
Nosferatu. They may have been mentioned already. :innocent:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Ramone wrote:that very dodgy band with the hearse(?)
Bauhaus?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Dark wrote:
Bauhaus?
No it's definitely Nosferatu. They used a hearse as their tour bus. I wish I were joking.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

markfiend wrote:
Dark wrote:
Bauhaus?
No it's definitely Nosferatu. They used a hearse as their tour bus. I wish I were joking.
So it's not Bauhearse then. ;D
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
CommodoreRock
Amphetamine Filth

James Blast wrote:Good rejoinder CR and there aren't many T-O-N fans around here.
I think you will find this place a real tonic, I tried and gave up on Carrie's T-O-N forum, it was too cliquey and American (ie. NY) based.

Welome to a kinder, better land!
James :D
Not familiar with that forum. By the way, is Type O still active? Last I heard, they were putting out a DVD, but I see no news of tours or albums since the one they put out in '03.

And thanks for the welcome. I signed up and posted a bit when the NYC Sisters show was happening, then took a break. I'm back though and looking forward to interesting discussion about Sisters, music or whatever.
aims
Overbomber

mh wrote:
markfiend wrote:
Dark wrote: Bauhaus?
So it's not Bauhearse then. ;D
Bauleichenwagen, surely? :innocent:

:notworthy: to Germany for "Corpse Wagon". Lovely ;D
CommodoreRock
Amphetamine Filth

Oh and welcome to HL by the way. :notworthy:[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome. It looks like a fun forum. I love the "von" emoticon. There should be one for each era (long hair, short hair, bleached etc.).
James Blast
Banned

CommodoreRock wrote:There should be one for each era (long hair, short hair, bleached etc.).
we've got a trouble maker here :lol:
~ Peter Steele
mh
Above the Chemist

CommodoreRock wrote:Not familiar with that forum. By the way, is Type O still active? Last I heard, they were putting out a DVD, but I see no news of tours or albums since the one they put out in '03.
Scarily familiar sounding...
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
mh
Above the Chemist

Motz wrote:Bauleichenwagen, surely? :innocent:
I'd a few pints of that the other week - I think. Vicious stuff.
Debaser
Overbomber

I quickly erase bad gigs from my memory bank...so I can't recall any. A few bands made me mildly miffed, laziness, oafishness, rudeness are the main causes. Possibly the most miffed I have been was with that Mr Iggy Pop in 1981/2ish at Rock City - frikkin prima donna :roll:
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Ramone

Nos fer uckin ratu.. woah now that was band to forget. Oh yes , the band with the hearse!

With Rosetta, we used to fall out of a Birkenhead Van Hire van, it was like clown car ( no jokes,please!) about 15 people getting out of a blue transit van. But at least it wasn't a bleedin' hearse. And they needed a hearse the amount of times they must of died on stage (ho - ho) . I suppose you can't expect much from most bands, like footie players they are just regular dickheads who got a lucky break. Be honest, when you used to see the Sisters in the '80's could you ever imagine thousands of people paying good money to hear and watch the scrawny one in the big hat wearing the poncho who never said anything onstage and his balding little mate (who said even less) sing some day? No, your not the only one.

If you ever get the chance to meet 'popstars' it's normally under strange circumstances; either they've just come off stage or they are trying to keep up the persona of being aloof ! But gemerally they just come off as wankers - and that's the impression you get of them forever.

If you do meet a popstar here's a little titbit for you to make your day and ruin there's. Always ask 'Didn't you used to be that band (insert choice name), what ever happend to them? " Knowing full well they are playing that night in some pub. or "what do you do then, what band, never heard of them mate' It's a bit Spinal Tap, but fragile egos are always nice to play with.

Esepcially when it's some one who used to fill the Brixton Acadamey and is now struggling to persuade 200 people to remember them at a University lounge bar. For shame.
"It was great that Kurt Cobain shot himself when he did..cos without that ,we'd have no Foo Fighters today" :Ramone, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever. November 2008
mh
Above the Chemist

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Here it is!!!

(Edit - replaced with smaller picture)

http://www.nosferatu.fsworld.co.uk/hearse.htm
Last edited by mh on 18 Jul 2006, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
Ramone

They were about as intimidating as the bleedin Anthill Mob off the wacky races in that!!
mh
Above the Chemist

Ramone wrote:They were about as intimidating as the bleedin Anthill Mob off the wacky races in that!!
And you know what the really sad thing is? No.Shame.At.All.