Hawkwind - No longer includes Unmixed Silver Machine

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
jay
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote:Let's talk Hawkwind DVDs?

I was down the local HMV, and saw that they had quite a selection. Are there any that would be recommended, or should I run and hide from them all?

1971 In Search of Space
1972 Doremi Fasol Latido
1973 Space Ritual
1974 Hall of the Mountain Grill
1975 Warrior on the Edge of Time
1976 Roadhawks (compilation)
1977 Quark, Strangeness and Charm
1990 Stasis: The U.A. Years

If you see any of these buy them, they are very good.
Do note that there are literally hundreds of compilations/live albums that have been released down the years that are seriously naff and should be avoided at all costs.
Obviously if you like these then you might wanna delve deeper, there is plenty of other good stuff but these are the "core" albums that seem to keep the Hawkwind flame alive.

The above albums have all been repackaged for CD and do come with extra tracks etc and are good value for money...obviously vinyl complete with sleeves that fold out into shields etc are preferable.

This list will give you an idea of the amount of product available
http://www.prex.com/biography/Hawkwind-discography.html
http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/haw ... iscography

These are by no means complete lists...Collecting Hawkwind records is slightly harder than collecting Sisters records
I no longer get very wrought up over the liminals

Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

nick the stripper wrote:I’ve only heard Silver Machine and seen footage of a big bosomed woman running around between the crowd and stage…
Why did you think James liked them so much then :lol:

They're really good though, go deeper into them!
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
steamhammerdave
Road Kill

For me, their debut album which is more bluesy than cosmic, takes some beating.

I think it was around this time I first saw them live.
What are we gonna do now then?
Eat the phone book...
Mothra
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Hom_Corleone wrote:I'm a big fan - only really discovered them over the last couple of years. There is some s**t in there but there are some absolute gems too. :notworthy:

As previously mentioned this....
is a must for anybody wanting a taster. (Only a fiver in Fopp if you've got one)

And yes - Dig that crazy fiddle baby :!: :wink:
Is this the triple CD thats about £20 in HMV? Got Carol Clerk's book and Doremi at the weekend, and already need more. Be stupid to not buy this at fiver ... but is it official (not one of the s**t quality live albums that are referred to above)?
James Blast
Banned

Obviousman wrote:Why did you think James liked them so much then :lol:
there really was more to it than that Z ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
mh
Above the Chemist

Mothra wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:I'm a big fan - only really discovered them over the last couple of years. There is some s**t in there but there are some absolute gems too. :notworthy:

As previously mentioned this....
is a must for anybody wanting a taster. (Only a fiver in Fopp if you've got one)

And yes - Dig that crazy fiddle baby :!: :wink:
Is this the triple CD thats about £20 in HMV? Got Carol Clerk's book and Doremi at the weekend, and already need more. Be stupid to not buy this at fiver ... but is it official (not one of the s**t quality live albums that are referred to above)?
It's on EMAyyyeeeayyyyayyyyeeeee so I'd presume so.

There's actually 2 versions of it - one's a multi-disk monster, the other's a single-disk slimmer version.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
James Blast
Banned

Big Si wrote:Hawkwind - Stasis

:eek:

:notworthy: :notworthy: Mr Blast :notworthy: :notworthy:

You are welcome to the future...

Uh and stand like by guys, Pat's totally digitised my unmixed version of Silver Machine from the original Glastonbury Fayre triple album set which is like so farr out maaahn it'll blow your mind! and it's on it's way through the aether, which is way like cool dude!
Oh yeah, the brown acid is good.Image
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
James Blast
Banned

And now, Laydeez an Gennilmen!
the link to Silver Messchine that I have been threatening for so, so long. REMOVED
Last edited by James Blast on 30 Aug 2006, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Amazing :D :notworthy:

Can hardly believe how very different it is from my 7" as that's supposed to be mixed of this one? :eek:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
mh
Above the Chemist

I like it
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
James Blast
Banned

Obviousman wrote:Amazing :D :notworthy:

Can hardly believe how very different it is from my 7" as that's supposed to be mixed of this one? :eek:
Aye, the base recording is in there Z, search for it.
~ Peter Steele
James Blast
Banned

Bump! for Silver Machine and Welcome to the Future download. :D
~ Peter Steele
allfear

James Blast, Putting up Hawkwind for download is a really BAD Idea, I know Dave Brock and I know he passionatly Hates bootlegs and downloads, would not be happy this happening.

theres some stuff about it on the main hawkwind site.

Matthew
jay

allfear wrote:James Blast, Putting up Hawkwind for download is a really BAD Idea, I know Dave Brock and I know he passionatly Hates bootlegs and downloads, would not be happy this happening.

Matthew
I do kinda agree with you on this but...Dave Brock has a swimming pool and doesn't need the money
I no longer get very wrought up over the liminals

mh
Above the Chemist

jay wrote:
allfear wrote:James Blast, Putting up Hawkwind for download is a really BAD Idea, I know Dave Brock and I know he passionatly Hates bootlegs and downloads, would not be happy this happening.

Matthew
I do kinda agree with you on this but...Dave Brock has a swimming pool and doesn't need the money
Aye, but - based on what I've read in the Sage of Hawkwind - Dave Brock comes across as someone who wouldn't let the possession of a swimming pool be a deterrent to opportunities for acquisition of further funds.

Entirely based on what comes across from the book now, the truth may well be very different. :innocent:

For my part, now that I've heard it, I would like to have the opportunity to give money to the band in the event that it became accessible in a format that would allow me to do so.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Can this version be acquired legally?

If not, then he and his swimming pool can go f**k themselves. :lol:

I still won't download it.. I'll hunt it out on an uncompressed, CD/vinyl boot ;)
James Blast
Banned

@ allfear + Dark AFAIK this version was released once and once only.
On the Glastonbury Fayre album released by Revelation Records. They were set up to make some money for (and not by) Michael Eavis, since he lost so much on the first Glastonbury and from what I garner it was their only release.
@ allfear I have trawled the interweb for years looking for a mention of this and they are a few and far between, but no one seemed to own a copy let alone have heard it.
I put this up here not to make any money or garner respect but to finally let some of you 'Hawkwind Heads' hear a genuine (IMO) piece of history.
I read The Saga of Hawkwind and I'm well aware of Mr. Brock's fondness for litigation so if the Mods think it contravenes the guidlines of Heartland it can be removed.

I was only trying to share something from a band who used to mean so much to me.
James
~ Peter Steele
mh
Above the Chemist

James Blast wrote:I was only trying to share something from a band who used to mean so much to me.
And it is very much appreciated. :notworthy:

If Mr Brock makes it available, I will glady give him money for it, even if it means getting yet another version of Master of the Universe again. Consider me one person for whom downloads are actually an incentive to buy music.

Until then, there's something uncannily similar happening at the end of the live YSDD (on the Space Ritual 2CD and Stasis). :wink:
James Blast
Banned

Thank you Michael I also conform to the 'heard it online, bought the album' type.
And allfear mighta pointed out his misgivings before I put it up.

Ach! Feck it! I've removed it...
~ Peter Steele
spot778

Thankfully I just grabbed it awhile ago, cheers JB
End of line.
allfear

to be fair I had only just seen this thread today.

I once filmed a hawkwind show, with Daves permission (as it was one with Arthur Brown, and I work for Arthur Brown incase you didnt know!!!), and I had loads of people hassleing me for copies, to which I said a massive NO. as it turns out Dave has banned tapeing of hawkwind shows for ages, simply because (as the book will tell you) there are 100s of s**t live hawkwind albums out there, of poor sound quality, and NOT offically sanctioned, and the sheer number of poor quality hawkwind recordings makes the band look bad.

If you want to share hawkwind ish material, I know Nik Turner and his band Space Ritual dont mind gigs being taped and swapped as long as he gests a copy.

Theres been an AWFUL lot of s**t said about the whole hawkwind saga, in my meeting with Mr Brock hes been nothing but a professional musician who likes to run a tight ship, and at 65 he has some strength and doesnt suffer fools gladly I like and admire the bloke a lot.

That being said, I got in with Nik and his band very well last year when we supported them.

Matthew
James Blast
Banned

spot778 wrote:Thankfully I just grabbed it awhile ago, cheers JB
now buy the album, which you can't :|
~ Peter Steele
allfear

Actually, I have been in contact with the guy that recorded the glastonbury fayre stuff, theres plans to release loads of it, theres miles of tape that hes going thought at the moment. 1 Major artisit whos peformance was suppose to have been lost, has recently been found to!

Matthew
allfear

Dave has an old farmhouse that he has done most of the work himself, hes by no means a millionaire , hes also been ripped of by countless record companies of the years as have most artists from the 60s 70s.

As I said Ive met him (and Indeed went with him to the local take away to get all the band and crews food for the gig!), and hes a really nice bloke!

Matthew
James Blast
Banned

Fair enough allfear, but I don't think you addressed any of the points in me rebuttal.

Edit. There's an interweb time lag here, so thanks for your replies.

I have no doubt Dave is a nice bloke, hell I still have a letter from him c. 1974 when I asked where I could get Hawkwind t-shirts.
I have taken down the offending article and I hope he's not aggreived.
I shall treasure this gem and play it to friends when they pop round and there shall be no more propogation of the faith from me.
Oh no! :twisted:
~ Peter Steele