Legendary bands/albums/whatever you actually don't like

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
esox
Road Kill

Motz wrote:...The Beatles.
With you on that one!
thhell
Road Kill

REM
U2
Bob Dylan

People I respect think highly of all of them, but apart from very few early songs they leave me cold.

But then, I never got Mozart's Don Giovanni either :oops:
Dust in the air suspended
Marks the place where a story ended
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

People/Bands I can only dig for at about 3 songs:

Bob Dylan
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones

People/bands I can't dig AT ALL:

- Morrisey ( AKA 'the man that sings like a phone dialtone'; piece of whiney poser... I like the Smiths though, if only HE would just SHUT UP)

- Lou Reed ( the man who invented the Gangsta Rap. I like the Velvets tho, if only HE etc etc... althoug with the Velvet U, at least he TRIED to sing... :roll:)

- all kinds of R&B crap, and not much exceptions. I believe they call it 'urban ' nowadays? Crap&s**t 's a better term.

- Early Ministry :twisted:

- Frituurpop a la Apoptygma Bluurghzerk, VNV Nation et al...

- Toddlerpunk a la Green Day, 3 days Grace and Arctic Monkeys... Sorry, call me an old wanker on my 31st, but I stopped enjoying the 'new batch' after The Offspring... :|

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
aims
Overbomber

DragonForce, Trivium, et al :von:

All of my friends are metalheads :(
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:- Morrisey ( AKA 'the man that sings like a phone dialtone'; piece of whiney poser... I like the Smiths though, if only HE would just SHUT UP)
God yes.. what a c**t. "You Have Killed Me".. oh, if only..
scotty
Overbomber

Iron Maiden
Ozzy
Beatles
Prog Rock
Captain Beefheart
X Ray Spex
Hair Bands - Pretty Boy Floyd, Poison ect
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - post Mothers Milk
Cradel of Filth
Nirvana
Brit Pop - apart from the singer from Sleeper, she was fit!
Vision Thing...........have I mentioned that?!
My Bloody Valentine
Sonic Youth
Jeff Buckley
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Badlander
Overbomber

Dark wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:- Morrisey ( AKA 'the man that sings like a phone dialtone'; piece of whiney poser... I like the Smiths though, if only HE would just SHUT UP)
God yes.. what a c**t. "You Have Killed Me".. oh, if only..
It is true that I can hardly understand why some people regard The Smiths as the band of the 80s. The music's quite okay I guess, but still very much forgettable. Surely not a band I could be a fan of. :roll:

Another name that constantly pops up in every "Top 50 (100, 200...) albums of all times" selection : Madonna. Is she a genius or a fraud ? Of course she can dance and she's a decent vocalist. But to call her a genius is just unreasonable. She's a very clever businesswoman for sure, but her musical achievements are far from impressive IMO. Ray of light's mysticism was just sooooooo fake !

Edit : You really don't like it Keith ? :eek:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
scotty
Overbomber

Badlander wrote:
Edit : You really don't like it Keith ? :eek:
Nope, utter pish!!!

Apoclypse Now
Withnail & I
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Badlander wrote:Madonna. Is she a genius or a fraud ? Of course she can dance and she's a decent vocalist. But to call her a genius is just unreasonable. She's a very clever businesswoman for sure, but her musical achievements are far from impressive IMO. Ray of light's mysticism was just sooooooo fake !
I like her classics, cfr. 'Like a Virgin', 'Material Girl' etc, because I like almost ALL music from that time-frame. Her latest effort with that DISCO s**t is gruesome to express it euphemistically. I liked her work with French artist Mirwais tho... very postrock-minimal electro...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Silver_Owl
The Don

I certainly agree with Captain Beefheart - what unlistenable kack. Trout Mask Replica is, however, a fantastic name.

I don't think many of the artists you all mentioned qualify for legendary. But I guess it's subjective. I would call Big Black and Snuff legendary. Most of you probably wouldn't.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Badlander
Overbomber

Hom_Corleone wrote: I don't think many of the artists you all mentioned qualify for legendary. But I guess it's subjective.
TBH the question I wanted to ask was "How can you not like something that's supposed to be so good that all sophisticated and clever people are supposed to love it ?" rather than "What are the famous bands you most dislike ?", which is less interesting IMHO.
Captain Beefheart is almost a perfect example of an artist that has fascinated generations of musicians, journalists, fans, etc. And I just don't see why.
On the other hand, the fact that someone doesn't like Oasis, Queen, Pink Floyd, etc. looks less surprising to me.
aims
Overbomber

That'd be Throbbing Gristle, then ;)
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Obviousman wrote:Nouvelle Vague is utter pish
Oh f*cking YES. Die die die you evil f*ckers.

Extra points for calling them "pish" as well :notworthy:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
scotty
Overbomber

Simple Minds.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

boudicca wrote:

At least someone :D :notworthy:

I've been trying in vain to persuade everyone they are utterly worthless, but no luck yet :|

Captain Beefheart is even worse though :urff:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Badlander wrote:Madonna ... she's a decent vocalist.
I wouldn't even go that far. :urff:
анархия
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Obviousman wrote:
boudicca wrote:

:eek: Who likes them!?!? I'm horrified. Give me their addresses!

There'll be some stabbings tonight! :twisted:
Badlander
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote: At least someone :D :notworthy:

I've been trying in vain to persuade everyone they are utterly worthless, but no luck yet :|
What are you talking about ? I always made clear that I hated them. They don't amuse me in any way, they just bore me to death. Even if they didn't play covers I wouldn't be interested. But they found a way to attract some attention while still being a very average band (at best). :roll:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

boudicca wrote:
Obviousman wrote:
boudicca wrote: Oh f*cking YES. Die die die you evil f*ckers.

:eek: Who likes them!?!? I'm horrified. Give me their addresses!

There'll be some stabbings tonight! :twisted:
Tons of friends of mine :| I just keep on telling it's pish anytime I notice anyone playing it really, not that I'm annoying in any way ;D :lol:
Badlander wrote:What are you talking about ? I always made clear that I hated them. They don't amuse me in any way, they just bore me to death. Even if they didn't play covers I wouldn't be interested. But they found a way to attract some attention while still being a very average band (at best). :roll:
The outside world was what I was talking about :wink: But indeed, utterly boring...
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Badlander
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote: The outside world was what I was talking about :wink: But indeed, utterly boring...
The outside world ?! What's that ? I thought it was just a legend ! :eek: :wink: :lol:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Badlander wrote:
Obviousman wrote: The outside world was what I was talking about :wink: But indeed, utterly boring...
The outside world ?! What's that ? I thought it was just a legend ! :eek: :wink: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, and there's Koen, he's very fond of them, now we come to talk about it :innocent:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Obviousman wrote:Oh, and there's Koen, he's very fond of them, now we come to talk about it :innocent:
Is he now!

By the way, there's a 100 Greatest Albums countdown on Channel 4 at the moment. I've given up on it because it's depressing me too much. Trans-Europe Express *blesses self* :notworthy: should NEVER be mentioned in the same breath as Robbie F*CKING Williams :evil:
mh
Above the Chemist

Johnny Rotten wrote:i really dislike Pink Floyd
Ah, the old punk in me just creased up with laughter when I read this.

Anyway, for me it's probably The Clash and The Jam. I like all the songs that I know I'm supposed to like, and will quite happily act the idiot on a dancefloor when they come on, but I just never GOT either band. Very worthy, dull, workmanlike stuff.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Silver_Owl
The Don

boudicca wrote:
Obviousman wrote:Oh, and there's Koen, he's very fond of them, now we come to talk about it :innocent:
Is he now!

By the way, there's a 100 Greatest Albums countdown on Channel 4 at the moment. I've given up on it because it's depressing me too much. Trans-Europe Express *blesses self* :notworthy: should NEVER be mentioned in the same breath as Robbie F*CKING Williams :evil:
Doolittle - The PIxies in at 48. :notworthy: Just after Pete fcuking Doherty.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
mh
Above the Chemist

Hom_Corleone wrote:
boudicca wrote:
Is he now!

Doolittle - The PIxies in at 48. :notworthy: Just after Pete fcuking Doherty.
Yeh, these things are always a load of gack, and just another reason to heave a brick at the telly. A mixture of classic LPs you should like and flavour-of-the-moments.

Besides, Surfer Rosa is miles better.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.