Never Land (A Fragment?) [Reissue] - Comments, etc

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
TheBoyNextDoor
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

James Blast wrote:still listening to it...

AND SO SHOULD ALL OF YOU!
Of course.. one of the best the Sisters have ever done. :eek:
Repeat: On. :von:
bismarck

I think Herr Blast's comments about Never Land (full length) being a disappointment have to be read with the understanding that Never Land is his *favorite* Sisters song... so the bar was pretty high. I, for one, think the song is unfathomably better than N L (a fragment), and a great, great song, with excellent lyrics. Easily better than 1959 or Dominion or Lurectia to name a few.
Last edited by bismarck on 04 Nov 2006, 05:32, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Mercy
Road Kill

I got my copy of Floodland from HMV online along with FALAA the other day. The mid price, addition of Never Land (full), Emma and the booklet being enough to tempt me!

My initial thoughts where that I liked the design of the digipack although I find it odd that there is no mention (on the front) that the CD is a reissue with additional tracks and that Dominion/Mother Russia is still listed separately (on the back).
I thought the booklet was well written and informative as with the FALAA reissue, and it was nice that photos from the original vinyl releases were included. But I still think the CD looks like a bootleg ....not that i own any :innocent:

As for the actual music I do like the full length version of never land which I thought might drag with it being so long but it builds up niceley and then "dies" at the end wonderfully. I was abit disappointed that Flood I still has the fade out of Dominion/Mother Russia at the start as it's annoying when the albums on random play!
still over all I'm happy that I ordered it.
jherek
Road Kill

been playing never land (full length) non-stop for a few days now.

genius - best thing :von: has ever done. period.
James Blast
Banned

jherek wrote:been playing never land (full length) non-stop for a few days now.

genius - best thing :von: has ever done. period.
Preach!
Revr'nd Image
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
bismarck

Yeah, Never Land (full length) is phenomenal... f****n amazing, period. What's exactlly your problem with it Señor Blast? Pray tell (again), why is it a disappointment to you?
Last edited by bismarck on 04 Nov 2006, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

bismarck wrote:Yeah, Never Land (full length) is phenomenal... fuckin' amazing, period. What's exactlly your problem with it Señor Blast? Pray tell (again), why is it a disappointment to you?
...have you been READING any of his posts?

EVERY one has been about how good it is, how amazing, how he's been playing on repeat, he posts it on totally unrelated threads in General Chat.
Nic
Slight Overbomber

Dark wrote:
bismarck wrote:Yeah, Never Land (full length) is phenomenal... fuckin' amazing, period. What's exactlly your problem with it Señor Blast? Pray tell (again), why is it a disappointment to you?

EVERY one has been about how good it is, how amazing, how he's been playing on repeat, he posts it on totally unrelated threads in General Chat.
Weeell not EVERY one... :wink:
James Blast wrote:arrived today, it sounds fantastic, I even enjoyed Colours which I never have before. Never Land (full length) is a disappointment, I'm gutted. :cry: Having said that, it's a lovely package, extensive sleeve notes and nice pics. It feels like a wee treasure, so I'm very happy to own it. :D
James Blast wrote:Never Land (full length) - doesn't have the production or extra atmos. of (a fragment), am I disappointed? Well yes but it's still better than most, or am I on 'any scraps from the master's table' mode?
All We Ever Wanted Was Everything
bismarck

Dark wrote:
bismarck wrote:Yeah, Never Land (full length) is phenomenal... f****n amazing, period. What's exactlly your problem with it Señor Blast? Pray tell (again), why is it a disappointment to you?

Touchy, Dark? Have YOU been reading his posts :roll: ?

He wrote:

Never Land (full length) is a disappointment, I'm gutted.
and
Never Land (full length) - doesn't have the production or extra atmos. of (a fragment), am I disappointed? Well yes...
and
[the keyboard tinklings actually do come in towards the end but] I was in tears way before then...
and
Never Land (a fragment) is my most very favourite tune, Ever!
The non fragment just doesn't have the production.
and
I already 'enjoy' it, it just doesn't have that... Ooomph! that a frag has, why so cheap Mr.E?
and
it lacks the production of (a fragment) - a spot of echo and those keyboard tinklings wouldn't have gone amiss.

I, for one, think the song is pretty amazing, so I was just, in a friendly way, wondering, perhaps, whether he still feels that way after a few days? Perhaps my tone was hard to suss out. If so, sorry...

:)
Dark
Underneath the Rock

No worries. Best not to listen to me when I've had a few. ;)
James Blast
Banned

If the case for the defence may rise, yer 'onor...

I think I laid out why I was gutted upon first listen Herr Bismarck: "it lacks the production of (a fragment) - a spot of echo and those keyboard tinklings wouldn't have gone amiss.
I already 'enjoy' it, it just doesn't have that... Ooomph! that a frag has, why so cheap Mr.E?"
etc.

Having lived with it for a week now, I've gotten over my initial shock and do rather enjoy it. The extra lyrics are just wonderful.

Knew you'd be pleased. ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
canon docre
Overbomber

Now that you cleared your point, dear James those lazy bastards from the ToocheapCDshop should speed up and send these little fuckers out so that I finally know what the hell you are all talking about.

Grrrooooaaarrrr
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
James Blast
Banned

PM Incoming Jess :D
~ Peter Steele
canon docre
Overbomber

Awwww, my knight in shiny armour. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:kiss:
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
James Blast
Banned

for all your audio/video needs ;D
~ Peter Steele
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

TheBoyNextDoor wrote:
James Blast wrote:still listening to it...

AND SO SHOULD ALL OF YOU!
Of course.. one of the best the Sisters have ever done. :eek:
Repeat: On. :von:
It is rather good even if it is a little raw compared to the rest of the album. At least it has a real bass played on it, the lack of keyboards throughout kinda reminds me of how it's played live nowadays, perhaps that's another reason why it is well received by us lot. The nearest thing to a new studio release from the girls!
On the other hand, the brain of an idiot seldom weighs more than 23oz - Gray's Anatomy
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Just listened to it for the first time, and I think it's marvellous - just f**king marvellous.

I honestly dithered before picking this up yesterday, not sure if it was worth spending nine quid effectively for just one "new" song.

It was worth it. :notworthy:
анархия
James Blast
Banned

Nine Quid!? ur ye daft?
~ Peter Steele
smiscandlon
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Nine Quid!? ur ye daft?
Not completely.
анархия
James Blast
Banned

allowed...

Next!
~ Peter Steele
Mr Mercy
Road Kill

jherek wrote:been playing never land (full length)... genius - best thing :von: has ever done. period.
While the full length version of NL is atmospheric and it's nice to hear something "new" it dosen't stand in the same league as Alice,Dominion or Vision thing!
Big Si
School Bully

Mr Mercy wrote:
jherek wrote:been playing never land (full length)... genius - best thing :von: has ever done. period.
While the full length version of NL is atmospheric and it's nice to hear something "new" it dosen't stand in the same league as Alice,Dominion or Vision thing!
Ah, I see the backlash has started :roll:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
mandrake
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I think Never Land full is amazing as well. Would have been a great atmospheric track once completed but even in this shape it's pretty darn amazing. Make the story complete. Worth having. Emma is nice to have as well and overall again the other track all sound just a wee bit clearer and better..or maybe it's just me.. ;>
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

mandrake wrote:I think Never Land full is amazing as well. Would have been a great atmospheric track once completed but even in this shape it's pretty darn amazing. Make the story complete. Worth having. Emma is nice to have as well and overall again the other track all sound just a wee bit clearer and better..or maybe it's just me.. ;>
Should be easy for someone to add their own keyboards? Mark Thwaite did an album of 80s stuff (Metalmorh or something) where he took the original track and added loads of metal guitars over it, recorded onto a PC. Shame he rejoined the m*****n, he lost a lot of credability by doing that!
On the other hand, the brain of an idiot seldom weighs more than 23oz - Gray's Anatomy
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Never Land (full lenght) :notworthy: :notworthy:

Put it on your setlist Von! :D
"as we walk on the floodland"