1995 And Nowhere

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Big Si
School Bully

MadameButterfly wrote:steps gently into sister's chat...
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
smiscandlon wrote: Are we allowed to point out to Quiff Boy that this is Sisters Chat?

Honestly, sometimes he acts like he owns this bloody place.
ah, he may own the place, but bux is "sisters chat" editor and owner of the final decision...i'd very much like to hear his opinion on this thread, eh readers? :innocent: :wink: :von:
god owns this place so ranks over bux. Quiff Boy can do whatever the f**k.he.pleases because this is his baby. The derailment within these walls "allows" for god's dog-that-was (still alive) comments.

now behave ~ and carry on....

:von:
Clause 83 :wink: ;D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
James Blast
Banned

Big Si wrote:Rachael happens to be a bloke! :eek: :roll:
that needs an explanation
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Big Si
School Bully

James Blast wrote:
Big Si wrote:Rachael happens to be a bloke! :eek: :roll:
that needs an explanation
It's his name! :|
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
oh -you meant the quiffmeister was god...naaah -i've met our boss and he's definitely real, and not a figment of mass-hysteria brought about by the inevitability of death and the fear of oblivilon.
and i was merely pointing out that our chairman could entertain us with stories of what he thnks eldritch was/wasn't doing in 1995 thus bringing us back on-topic. :wink: :innocent:
of course i've met quiffmeister and he's still god to me within these walls.

yeah i know what you were getting at with regards to bux, it would be interesting to see him entertain. so you pming him about the story cos i'm not, he scares me.

@ Big Si ~ ta! :D
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

MadameButterfly wrote:of course i've met quiffmeister and he's still god to me within these walls.
:oops: :lol:

aww shucks ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

hmm...three pages and little in the way of actual criticism/appreciation of the record due to few people having heard it -i trust someone will bump this thread when the jiffy bags start flying in. 8)
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
smiscandlon
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:hmm...three pages and little in the way of actual criticism/appreciation of the record due to few people having heard it
I enjoyed it in its own right, but it just doesn't sound like Sisters material to me. Not sure why.
анархия
sultan2075
Overbomber

I've heard parts of it, and I really liked it. I just don't know if I want to pester him for more.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

smiscandlon wrote: I enjoyed it in its own right, but it just doesn't sound like Sisters material to me. Not sure why.
Because of the missing essentials like the Dok and Andrew's vocals?
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Syberberg wrote:
smiscandlon wrote: I enjoyed it in its own right, but it just doesn't sound like Sisters material to me. Not sure why.
No, probably because it was recorded in an actual studio as opposed to with a cheap microphone and a minidisc at the back of a concert hall :lol:
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
vicus

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:hmm...three pages and little in the way of actual criticism/appreciation of the record due to few people having heard it
Well - i'll try to translate the things i wrote at the poison door-forum in November 2004:

Black Eyed Faith
Not bad, but it does not work as an opener. But it grows.

The drums sound very much like "The Reptile House EP", even the song would not fit into that old Sisters-record. But I really like it!

Dumb
The weakest song of the album. BUT: I found myself humming this song after hearing the album for the fifth time

Really great! Imagine THIS song well produced and with Andrews voice - well, the voice he had in the early 1990ies...

Zapruder
A killer of a song. As good as Body Electric IMHO, the most classic Sisters-Song on "1995 & nowhere"

Sound And Sound
A Ghost Dance-Ballad. And it shows that GMs songwriting-abilities really developed since 1985. Very unusual in Sisters-context.

Blindfold
Not the highlight of the album, but it's ok IMHO.

It takes some time to get into it - especially Gary's voice. The whole experience is a bit frustrating: How would these songs sound if Gary and Andrew had really worked on these demos?
Of course, if you listen to it for the first time, it sounds too much 1983-85, but hey: these are 13 years old demos, recorded with a cheap drumcomputer (Pandora? Doktor MkII?), cheap 1983-guitar-sound and well - i don't think this can really be called "produced"...

"Zapruder", "Default", "Sound and sound" and "1995" are really cool tunes I would really love to hear on the next Sisters album....

Oh, ahem - next Sisters album? :oops:
Where's my doctor, i need my drugs - NOW!!! :urff:
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
Syberberg

sultan2075 wrote:
Syberberg wrote:
No, probably because it was recorded in an actual studio as opposed to with a cheap microphone and a minidisc at the back of a concert hall :lol:
:eek: :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy: :notworthy:
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
doctoravalanche

I haven't received any reply from Gary Marx yet ...
I hope someday someone would be nice enough to share it ;)
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

doctoravalanche wrote:I haven't received any reply from Gary Marx yet ...
give him a chance... he has a family & real life commitments ;)
bookish
Road Kill

doctoravalanche wrote:I haven't received any reply from Gary Marx yet ...
Let me/us know if you do get a response.

If so I'll give mr M an email too.
vicus

"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
headcleaner2k
Road Kill

Oh no, don't remove my post!
That's why I put out feelers first - seems like morality and artist loyalty still exists here. Good.
Out of respect for Mr. Pearman and his efforts I'm not about to waste my time uploading something that will in turn waste your time.
It's a novel, one-listen to and then archive and forget about it experience so you might as well forget about it altogether.

Square.

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
headcleaner2k wrote:I can't believe that this situation is unknown by so many of you, how exciting! Don't want to rip off ol' Gary but if it's unavailable from his site, tell me the easiest way/place to put it and I'll upload asap.

http://www.garymarx.com/1995.htm
mr. marx is entitlted to be in control of his own product and make/waive a fee on it. if headcleaner2k has no respect perhaps a mod could remove his post? :evil:
we do not bootleg official products (albeit unreleased) on HL, in open forum, without the artists permission. mr.marx has been very decent about letting us have free downloads and sometimes it's nice to shake the hand that feeds you. :von:
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

The songs reminds me of The Devils. That Nick Rhodes / Stephen Duffy project.
guns & cars & accidents
eastmidswhizzkid

headcleaner2k wrote:Oh no, don't remove my post!
That's why I put out feelers first - seems like morality and artist loyalty still exists here. Good.
Out of respect for Mr. Pearman and his efforts I'm not about to waste my time uploading something that will in turn waste your time.
Square.

fair play mate. :notworthy:

eastmidswhizzkid

vicus wrote:Well - i'll try to translate the things i wrote at the poison door-forum in November 2004:

Black Eyed Faith
Not bad, but it does not work as an opener. But it grows.

The drums sound very much like "The Reptile House EP", even the song would not fit into that old Sisters-record. But I really like it!

Dumb
The weakest song of the album. BUT: I found myself humming this song after hearing the album for the fifth time

Really great! Imagine THIS song well produced and with Andrews voice - well, the voice he had in the early 1990ies...

Zapruder
A killer of a song. As good as Body Electric IMHO, the most classic Sisters-Song on "1995 & nowhere"

Sound And Sound
A Ghost Dance-Ballad. And it shows that GMs songwriting-abilities really developed since 1985. Very unusual in Sisters-context.

Blindfold
Not the highlight of the album, but it's ok IMHO.
cheers for the track titles -mine came without and i didn't like to pester him further. :notworthy:

ireally like the album for it's own sake -it really grew on me and after the initial curiousity of imagining what could have been, i stopped lkistening to it as something intended to be by the sisters. after all, the lyrics were never part of the offer put forward to von, and they are a very poignant insight into his -marx's- feelings about the sisters and eldritch.
musically i reckon it's only an arrangement away from being pure sisters - look at the floodland demos for instance... :innocent:
gary marx wrote: I did make it available ...... for a brief period and the response was ...y positive in the main although I was keen to point out because of the unusual nature of the project it was neither a Sisters nor a Gary Marx Album as such. It wouldn't have come into being at all if I was just pursuing my own musical interests at the time, and clearly Andrew's stamp would have taken it miles away from where I finished up vocally/lyrically had he chosen to be involved.

shiver
Road Kill

I emailed Gary last week, I'm sure someone has posted this aleardy, but here's his reply:

thanks for the mail and the words of praise - just doing some re-mastering of old Ghost Dance tracks so expect news on the website soon, www.ghostdance.co.uk.
The solo album Pretty Black Dots is still available from www.garymarx.com and news (including how to purchase a copy) of the 1995 And nowhere disc will re-appear on the same site next week.

What a gent!

d
Badlander
Overbomber

shiver wrote: thanks for the mail and the words of praise - just doing some re-mastering of old Ghost Dance tracks so expect news on the website soon, www.ghostdance.co.uk.
The solo album Pretty Black Dots is still available from www.garymarx.com and news (including how to purchase a copy) of the 1995 And nowhere disc will re-appear on the same site next week.
Looking forward to it. :D
Thanks for the update. :notworthy: 8)
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

hey hey pop kidz :D

i got this email from herr marx himself yesterday morning:
Gary Marx wrote:My Inbox is bursting with forum members latching onto the 1995 thread. I assumed they'd all heard it or about it first time round so was slightly surprised, but anyways, rather than reply to each of them individually I figured a post from your good self would be more time efficient if you're happy to act as my mouthpiece.

I will post information on www.GaryMarx.com site in the next couple of weeks and make the album (or a revised version of the disc) available for a limited period.

As you may or may not recall the seven tracks didn't constitute all the draft ideas I originally mailed Eldritch way back when. I got a little lost within the process of finishing them myself (sharing some of the fans' frustration of what it could've been with the intended singer onboard) and simply curtailed the vocal sessions when I thought there was enough material to give a decent indication of some of the material's potential.

'Clearing out the attic', as is my January habit, I decided to have a go at finishing at least one of the other tunes. I'll let you have a snippet for airing on the site as soon as its done (e-mailed direct from the mixing console in Farsley!).

Depending on how I feel after re-treading unfinished business from 95 in 2007, I may play Dr Who again (Eccleston rather than Tennant obviously) and complete the rest. If a revised version does become available I'll offer people who bought the original a discount, or a download option on any new tracks - God, he's a nice guy. :lol:

I also intend to write another email to you with a reminder of what I believe the album represents, in response to the reviews and comments bouncing around on the forum. This will doubtless cover some old ground but perhaps offer a new dimension to the discussions. It is obviously not the Sisters 4th album and it is not the 2nd Gary Marx solo album - but you know that already.
it pretty much mirrors EMWK's post but i think it expands on some points and hints at more things to come ;) 8) :notworthy:
James Blast
Banned

Bloody nice bloke! Image
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
eastmidswhizzkid

:notworthy: wow! that's more than i could have hoped for when i felt it shoud be (re)introduced to a larger audience -i certainly never thought he'd be into expanding the project.
i'll say it again: what a bloody nice bloke, with a genuine appreciation of his fanbase. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

i rarely diss eldritch ( and i know that you do come here von) but would it really hurt you to let us have a studio recording of the "new songs" you tight git? :|