Ribbons ?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Mr Mercy
Road Kill

Carpathian Psychonaut wrote:Ribbons ... seems to not be that huge of a jump from tracks [from] Floodland.
Ribbons was one of the four songs on VT that Eldritch wrote alone so I belive that it was something that was in Eldritch's head from around Floodland recording time. possibly it was not added as floodland as it already had raw songs on it in the form of flood I & II ?
King of Byblos
Amphetamine Filth

canon docre wrote:
King of Byblos wrote:perhaps we are over interpolating?
http://tinyurl.com/34v54p?

(Tinyurl link instead of mad-long link inserted by markfiend)
or maybe he meant Gibbons?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

(tinyurl nice!)
"Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas – only I don't exactly know what they are!"
DrG
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Anybody here? :wink:

This is the second song from the Sisters I ever heard... as I wasn't too excited by 'More' (at first...), but this song really hooked me!

'Ribbons' is grimly shear poetry backed with a near-Middle Eastern sounding drum rhythm, harpsicordic keyboards and heavy 'chunka-chunka' guitar riffs that suddenly crash and wail away. It has all the hooks! It beautifully expresses anticipation, apprehension and the need for release. This combination makes for one of the most unique songs in the Sisters catalog.

It is a great song... even greater live!

Just walk... 'oooohn iiiiihhhh-iiiiinnnnn!!!!!' ;D

DrG
wah-hoo
let's do the war on drugs

Trip the light fantastic
silk
Road Kill

I seem to remember that I thought the song was about murdering a whore when I first heard the song, but kinda talked myself into thinking that it was about a whore dieing from AIDS

It's been a while since I thought about it TBH
on reflection, being born turned out not to be such a good idea after all
Ocean Moves
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Ribbons is the finest piece of ass ever penned by the good Vonster.