Happy Birthday Richard Dawkins

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

sultan2075 wrote:That's not really satisfactory though, is it? The major error Dawkins makes, I think, is that he seems to think that the existence of God is the sort of thing that reason can prove or disprove, an error that stems from the fact that he has not sufficiently considered the limits of reason. The entire metaphor breaks down precisely because even Dawkins has metaphysical* presuppositions that he does not adequately account for or explain. He wants to make what are, by definition, metaphysical statements ("God does not exist") without engaging the considerations necessary to determine whether statements such as "God exists" or "God does not exist" can even be uttered in a meaningful way.
I don't think that's exactly true; from what I've read, Dawkins, being the scientist he is, isn't in the business of "proof" -- "proof is for alcohol and mathematics". His position is, as I understand it, that we have no evidence supporting the "god-hypothesis" that cannot be explained more simply without the god-hypothesis, and that claims about various gods are either in conflict with observed reality, self-contradictory, or indistinguishable empirically from the "no-god-hypothesis".

And forgive me, but I'm wary when people start arguing presuppositions; it sounds to me as if you're going to start in on some sort of transcendental argument for the existence of God, which quite frankly strikes me as useful as Anselm's ontological argument; they are both simply attempts to redefine the rules of logic so that Christianity automatically wins.
sultan2075 wrote:The other major criticism one might make is that he consistently engages in straw-man tactics, i.e., the theism he critiques is not the sort of theism that a philosophically aware believer would take as legitimate anyway--he tends to go after the "God is an old man in the sky" view (in various degrees of complexity), which makes for good copy and entertaining ripostes, but is hardly an accurate represenation of what the intellectually sophisticated believer accepts. If he wants to beat up on fundamentalist literalists and young-earth creationsists, or even intelligent design sorts, that's fine, but he shouldn't expect to be taken seriously--it's the equivalent of taking candy from a baby. If he wants to seriously prove that he is correct, he needs to do a lot of philosophical heavy lifting that he thus far has shown no inclination toward doing. Until he does, he's simply a gussied-up version of the angry high-school atheist out to shock the establishment.
The "intellectually sophisticated believer" may retreat to a deist-style first-cause-only-god when arguing with Dawkins, but generally pushes the goal-posts back out to the interventionist Yahweh when preaching to the flock.

The intellectually sophisticated version is a minority belief anyway; the "God is an old man in the sky" view, is what most "grass roots" believers actually believe isn't it? Some flavour of creationism is accepted by most of America's Christians, (although admittedly probably not Europe's) as well as the overwhelming majority of the world's Muslims. It's hardly a straw-man when he is arguing against what people believe.

And forgive me, but you do seem to be arguing PZ's courtier's reply as I posted earlier, when you talk of "philosophical heavy lifting".
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
sultan2075
Overbomber

markfiend wrote: I don't think that's exactly true; from what I've read, Dawkins, being the scientist he is, isn't in the business of "proof" -- "proof is for alcohol and mathematics". His position is, as I understand it, that we have no evidence supporting the "god-hypothesis" that cannot be explained more simply without the god-hypothesis, and that claims about various gods are either in conflict with observed reality, self-contradictory, or indistinguishable empirically from the "no-god-hypothesis".
Oh, that's a very old argument, then.
markfiend wrote: And forgive me, but I'm wary when people start arguing presuppositions; it sounds to me as if you're going to start in on some sort of transcendental argument for the existence of God, which quite frankly strikes me as useful as Anselm's ontological argument; they are both simply attempts to redefine the rules of logic so that Christianity automatically wins.
Anselm's argument is useless--even Thomas Aquinas recognizes that. I don't think I'm trying to redefine the rules of logic so that Christianity wins, either; if anything, I'm suggesting that a proper examination of them ultimately puts Dawkins in the same dogmatic boat as most fundamentalists, i.e., he seemingly wants human reason to do something it can't do (have absolute and complete knowledge of the whole).
markfiend wrote: The "intellectually sophisticated believer" may retreat to a deist-style first-cause-only-god when arguing with Dawkins, but generally pushes the goal-posts back out to the interventionist Yahweh when preaching to the flock.
You know, just the other day I was reading some comments from Thomas Aquinas and Moses Maimonides on this very question. I'll see if I can dig them up again; you might find them interesting.
markfiend wrote: The intellectually sophisticated version is a minority belief anyway; the "God is an old man in the sky" view, is what most "grass roots" believers actually believe isn't it? Some flavour of creationism is accepted by most of America's Christians, (although admittedly probably not Europe's) as well as the overwhelming majority of the world's Muslims. It's hardly a straw-man when he is arguing against what people believe.
Just because a lot of people accept things doesn't mean that it is correct, and, as I may have mentioned before, at least when it comes to the Biblical tradition, the literal interpretation of Genesis is of fairly recent origin. Again, I can think of passages in Thomas's Summa where he explicitly rejects literal readings, saying that if scripture and science disagree, it's because you've not understood scripure correctly (Genesis, he suggests, was Moses trying to put a point about the nature of reality into terms suited for an "ignorant and rude" people, namely, the ancient Israelites). Again, in this regard Dawkins strikes me as a schoolyard bully, picking on the weak and those who are easy prey. It's like running around telling people Santa Claus doesn't exist.
markfiend wrote:
And forgive me, but you do seem to be arguing PZ's courtier's reply as I posted earlier, when you talk of "philosophical heavy lifting".
In a sense I am, but I think PZ's metaphor doesn't work. It breaks down. It would be like me claiming I could do natural science without having an acquaintance with the scientific method. This is a serious flaw--Dawkins asserts many things, but provides arguments for a great deal less of them. Much of this comes from the fact that he simple hasn't studied formal logic, etc, but that doesn't mean that the flaws in his arguments aren't real. This is why he strikes me as being in much the same boat as fundamentalists; is tendency is to replace argument with increasingly strident assertion.

Anyway, I need to run. This is an interesting discussion, but I shouldn't have even looked at it this morning--I'm going to be late. I don't think I've really addressed your points yet, hopefully I will when I get home tonight :D
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'm glad we agree on Anselm ;)

AFAIK Dawkins doesn't claim to "have absolute and complete knowledge of the whole" -- indeed scientific knowledge is (or at least ought to be) always acknowledged to be contingent and incomplete.

I would certainly be interested in Aquinas and Maimonides...
Just because a lot of people accept things doesn't mean that it is correct
Quite. I think we're talking past each other a little here though; I'm aware that literalist Young Earthism can only be supported from a Protestant sola scriptura viewpoint; the Vatican's position is that evolution happens, although "guided by God" in some sense.

But my point is that it can hardly be characterised as attacking a straw-man when the Young Earth position is one believed by approximately 45% of USAians (according to Gallup in 2001)

I think I know the Summa passage you mean, but I can't find it at the moment.

Anyway, yes, work to do, more later...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Having actually started reading The God Delusion now*, I can more faithfully represent Dawkins' arguments. (I was basing my previous arguments on a general knowledge of his shorter opinion pieces, as well as the TV Root Of All Evil? show.)

He specifically denies that he's arguing against "the bearded man in the sky" god. The god-hypothesis he argues against is that:
there exists a super-human, supernatural intelligence who deliberately designed and created the universe and everything in it, including us.
--hardly a straw-man caricature of theistic belief.

As well as the "argument to best explanation" that I've outlined previously (we have no evidence supporting the "god-hypothesis" that cannot be explained more simply without the god-hypothesis, and that claims about various gods are either in conflict with observed reality, self-contradictory, or indistinguishable empirically from the "no-god-hypothesis".) he demolishes the classic "proofs of God" and constructs an argument for the improbability of god.

He gives Anselm's ontological argument similar short shrift as we have, noting that he once constructed a parody of the ontological argument to prove that pigs can fly.

Aquinas' alleged proofs fare little better; the first three (the Unmoved Mover, the Uncaused Cause, and the Cosmological Argument) all simply propose God as the terminal point of an otherwise infinite regress, and "make the entirely unwarranted assumption that God himself is immune to the regress." It is not clear in any case that the regress does not have a natural termination; the example Dawkins gives is that we used to wonder how the "infinite regress" of cutting a piece of gold in half would end. Of course we now know that eventually we reach an individual atom of gold, which, if divided, is no longer gold.

I was going to carry on, but it seems clear to me now that if I'm not careful, I'll simply end up typing a synopsis of the whole of The God Delusion in. :lol:

* I'm only on page 130 (of ~400); I was bought it for my birthday on Wednesday and only started it yesterday evening.
—Bertrand Russell
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

For the g*d-botherers: what existed before g*d, then? And how did whatever that was come to be? And how did g*d come to be, for that matter?

Have fun with that, kiddies... :wink: :twisted: :P
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
nowayjose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

SINsister wrote:For the g*d-botherers: what existed before g*d, then?
This question can be asked for all matter, not just for some (hypothesized) creator entity.

However, it doesn't seem to make much sense, since time as we experience and understand it, is a property of our universe.. according to many physicists, time has unfolded concomitantly with space at the "beginning" of our universe (according to the Big Bang theory)... Our understanding of time is most likely too naive (yet) to formulate in a meaningful way the question of "what was `before'".
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

The "intellectually sophisticated believer" may retreat to a deist-style first-cause-only-god when arguing with Dawkins, but generally pushes the goal-posts back out to the interventionist Yahweh when preaching to the flock.
I'm going to have to stop you right there and say you're being biased to the west, by which I mean you're ignoring eastern religions concept of God, such as Brahman, which isn't all-knowing and all-powerful but is power itself and knowledge itself, it doesn't exist, it is existence itself. Therefore, in certain strands (and Hinduism and other eastern religions have loads of strands because they're very open minded compared to orthodox Abrahamic religions) the goal is to obtain oneness with God and absolute love of God, therefore love of life itself and knowledge itself.
markfiend wrote:I'm glad we agree on Anselm ;)
A bit off topic, but I disagree. I think that it's the greatest attempt ever to prove the existence of God, better than Aquinas's five proofs, William Pailey's watchmaker analogy and any other argument (there's not many) and that the argument is a lot more intricate than people think. It was the prevailing argument until Hume and Kant gave it a swift kicking, but I think that even though those two refuted it, it's the most intricate argument for the existence of God.

It's one of my all-time favourite rationalist arguments, probably because Descartes, one of my favourite philosophers, used it in his "Meditations on First Philosophy". I admired it so much that I ignored Kant and Hume's refutation and created my own that involved refuting the Gaunillo's Island argument (which is meant to disprove the ontological argument) and through refuting that argument, shown that I have refuted the ontological argument too, using nothing but rationalist methods.
Maimonides
Still off topic, but I've just discovered Maimonides myself and I have to say I find him very interesting. I think the most interesting theological philosopher though is Lev Shestov, who doesn't even attempt to prove God exists.
Last edited by nick the stripper on 30 Mar 2007, 18:28, edited 3 times in total.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

nowayjose wrote:
SINsister wrote:For the g*d-botherers: what existed before g*d, then?
This question can be asked for all matter, not just for some (hypothesized) creator entity.

However, it doesn't seem to make much sense, since time as we experience and understand it, is a property of our universe.. according to many physicists, time has unfolded concomitantly with space at the "beginning" of our universe (according to the Big Bang theory)... Our understanding of time is most likely too naive (yet) to formulate in a meaningful way the question of "what was `before'".

Bzzzzzzzzt! Not good enough! I want answers, and I want them NOW! :twisted:
sultan2075
Overbomber

It's gonna be a busy as hell weekend, Mark, so don't think my silence means I'm dodgin you. My first thought though, is that based on what you're saying Dawkins isn't necessarily understanding the Thomist position correctly (fair enough, I don't think most so-called "Thomists" understand it rightly either). I'm not entirely sure how convincing Thomas finds those arguments either--classical and medieval writers tend to put the most important point in the central position, and I think Thomas recognizes that the strongest argument is the one he places centrally in his "Five Ways," namely the argument from the necessary ground of possible beings. I'd be curious to see what Dawkins says to that (I freely admit that I think it's the most misunderstood of Thomas's arguments), and dammit all, I ahve to go do other stuff right now.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Here is my final answer: Thomas Aquiunas sums it all up here: http://www2.gsu.edu/~phltso/soap.html

(for the dim, yes, it's a joke, I should be working now anyway)
--
Mr. Wah
Amphetamine Filth

Hello all. Thanks for a most interesting debate, which I've been enjoying over the last few days. I'd just like to add a few thoughts I have...
sultan2075 wrote: I think Thomas recognizes that the strongest argument is the one he places centrally in his "Five Ways," namely the argument from the necessary ground of possible beings. I'd be curious to see what Dawkins says to that (I freely admit that I think it's the most misunderstood of Thomas's arguments), and dammit all, I ahve to go do other stuff right now.
This seems one of the weakest of the Five Ways to me. Apart from a massive jump in logic to assume the necessity of an eternal being (having stated that if there were ever nothing then there would always be nothing ... reductio ad absurdum), there's no reason within the framework of the argument why the being having it's own necessity can't be the world rather than God.
nick the stripper wrote: markfiend wrote:
I'm glad we agree on Anselm

A bit off topic, but I disagree. I think that it's the greatest attempt ever to prove the existence of God
Isn't it little more than a trick of language? When a non-believer conceives (in his mind) of a being that can not be greater, i.e. God, he is only assigning that insuperable status to such a being in its theoretical existant state, not in the purely conceptual state.
Dr. Moody
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Seems to me that a crucial point in all this is being overlooked and that is that for most of the worlds religious people they "Believe" in something and that belief is not built around logic, proof or rational discourse nor is it based upon scientific method.A leap of Faith is necessary, without it all the rhetoric in the world is just so much noise. The rational and the transcendent are mutually exclusive. Neither side can hear each other because both are forcefully putting across their point on deaf ears.
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Dr. Moody wrote:Seems to me that a crucial point in all this is being overlooked and that is that for most of the worlds religious people they "Believe" in something and that belief is not built around logic, proof or rational discourse nor is it based upon scientific method.A leap of Faith is necessary, without it all the rhetoric in the world is just so much noise. The rational and the transcendent are mutually exclusive. Neither side can hear each other because both are forcefully putting across their point on deaf ears.
I consider myself to be a bit of a Kantian, and I have to say that there are borders to science and once you reach them you make a very important decision: you stop right there or you take a leap across the border and have faith in what is impossible to know, asserting your own freedom to believe whatever you want - like Dostoevsky's underground man, bashing his head against a wall and refusing to accept that two plus two equals four. But once you make that leap, you're not necessarily death to reason. I know I certainly wasn't and I was at one time a Christian, but now an agnostic-atheist.

That's why I think that the problem here is that people on both sides are being assertive, which simply puts peoples' backs up and makes you appear to be a dick (Dawkins is a good example of this). I think that Socrates was cleverer in his ways, because he didn't assert anything - at least not directly - but put questions forward that led people to reveal to themselves contradictions in their beliefs. This put doubt into people and caused them to either begin questioning their beliefs themselves or put their fingers in their ears and repetitively say "la". I think that there are a lot of people like the latter, but also a lot like the former. But of course, Socrates ended up dead and manipulating people with the dialectical Socratic method is rather devious.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Dr. Moody wrote:Seems to me that a crucial point in all this is being overlooked and that is that for most of the worlds religious people they "Believe" in something and that belief is not built around logic, proof or rational discourse nor is it based upon scientific method.A leap of Faith is necessary, without it all the rhetoric in the world is just so much noise.

Oh, I agree. I've faith in exactly...well, nothing. :von:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Some people are highly-resistant to manipulation, though... :wink:

And even though I'm biased toward science, I still don't "believe" in things that can't be "proven." I seriously don't *assume* that the sun will rise each day, for example. When it does, I say, "Oh, look, it happened again." Same with waking up each morning... A bizarre way to live, I guess. :von:
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

SINsister wrote:Oh, I agree. I've faith in exactly...well, nothing. :von:
Not even freewill? That's the one thing I [consciously] have faith in. I personally don't think only believing in things which have scientific "proof" is healthy. Science, for instance, says nothing about a purpose to life yet most people require a sense of some place to go.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

nick the stripper wrote:I personally don't think only believing in things which have scientific "proof" is healthy. Science, for instance, says nothing about a purpose to life yet most people require a sense of some place to go.

1. I never claimed to be "healthy."

b. I'm still looking for a purpose; it's gotten much harder lately to conceive of ever finding one... I've given up on thinking that there's anywhere for me to "go," except back to my own planet. Alas. :( :von:
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

b. I'm still looking for a purpose; it's gotten much harder lately to conceive of ever finding one... I've given up on thinking that there's anywhere for me to "go," except back to my own planet. Alas. :( :von:
I don’t know why you’re using the Von emoticon for that since Eldritch has on several occasions given a definition of himself as Kierkegaard meets Elvis, and there is a whole page on the TSOM website about why they think postmodernism is rubbish and that the Sisters believe (not in a religious sense).

TSOM are one of the least nihilistic bands I’ve heard, this and Kierkegaard leads me into my next statement: back to Kant and Karl Jaspers idea of Dasein and Existenz.

Basically, Karl Jaspers is a German philosopher who coined the term existenzphilosophie, a precursor to “existentialism�. He was influenced by Kant and his theory of having to believe in God, even though we cannot know anything about him because we can only know phenomena, as opposed to noumenon; Kierkegaard and Nietzsche - Jaspers was really the first to notice their similarities and importance.

So anyways, he says there’s this mode of life called Dasein, which is the simple mode of living where we live in an objective, scientific world with boundaries. Now we can stay in the phenomenal world, stay within these bounds, or we can take a leap, this leap Jaspers calls transcendence, and with this leap we can experience “authentic� living and our freedom in its totality.

This is something very similar to what the obscure Russian philosopher Lev Shestov said: only a belief in God can grant us total freedom, for the name of God in action is “all things are possible�.

And this leads into Sartre, who set out this whole Phenomenological Ontology in his magnum opus “Being and Nothingness� in which he explores the logical consequences of atheism and attempts to prove that we are totally free, but for him total freedom is a curse because with total freedom comes total responsibility. We’re totally free in an irrational world, with no objective morality to guide us and we’re totally free to do anything. So basically it is up to us what we do with our lives and we’re totally responsible to make something of ourselves.

For Sartre, we can’t just give ourselves a meaning through saying “I now have a meaning�, we have to make it like anything else. We’re defined through our actions and how others see our actions. For example, say you want to become a famous writer, that becomes your purpose, that becomes your goal in life, but you can only fulfil it through acting it out. So you write a novel and release it and people think it’s fantastic and you required others to be defined as a famous writer and be granted an identity and purpose. But of course the reverse can happen and they can reject your book, say it’s rubbish, and you can become defined a failed writer and have to find another purpose… so I was just editing the Karl Jaspers wikipedia article earlier and was thinking about this stuff, and saw your post and thought this was relevant so I typed it all out and now I think it just looks like stream of consciousness, random trash. :urff: :lol:

EDITED because I said TSOM was the most nihilistic band when I meant least.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

nick the stripper wrote: I don’t know why you’re using the Von emoticon for that...

Now we can stay in the phenomenal world, stay within these bounds, or we can take a leap...

And this leads into Sartre, who set out this whole Phenomenological Ontology in his magnum opus “Being and Nothingness� in which he explores the logical consequences of atheism and attempts to prove that we are totally free, but for him total freedom is a curse because with total freedom comes total responsibility. We’re totally free in an irrational world, with no objective morality to guide us and we’re totally free to do anything. So basically it is up to us what we do with our lives and we’re totally responsible to make something of ourselves.

For Sartre, we can’t just give ourselves a meaning through saying “I now have a meaning�, we have to make it like anything else. We’re defined through our actions and how others see our actions...

-I used it because I felt like it. :von: See? I did it again. :twisted:

-I feel no need to take such a leap, as it doesn't interest me enough to consider, at this point (though, I'm sure that several folks here at HL would enjoy it if I'd take a leap of another sort, hahaha! :roll:).

-Agree. I try to do it in a vacuum, I guess, though - that of my own head/consciousness.

-Disagree, because if I'm totally free, then I'm also free to reject the idea that anything I do "has" to take into account anyone else's thoughts on the matter. As a rule, I don't give a flying f*ck about how others see my actions, as to me, their opinions count for sh1t. Granted, if I wanted to be a writer, others' opinions could mean the difference between my books selling well or not at all. In that case, it'd also be up to me to determine whether or not my "success" as a writer, *as I see it*, would be determined by book sales or by some criteria that *I* choose to use to define "success" for myself.

Someone said, "No man is an island." Well, I'm trying damn hard to prove that statement wrong.
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

SINsister wrote:-Disagree, because if I'm totally free, then I'm also free to reject the idea that anything I do "has" to take into account anyone else's thoughts on the matter. As a rule, I don't give a flying f*ck about how others see my actions, as to me, their opinions count for sh1t. Granted, if I wanted to be a writer, others' opinions could mean the difference between my books selling well or not at all. In that case, it'd also be up to me to determine whether or not my "success" as a writer, *as I see it*, would be determined by book sales or by some criteria that *I* choose to use to define "success" for myself.
You've just defined yourself via rejecting the values of others, which you couldn't have done without "the other". :P
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

...and I can just as easily decide to "define" myself another way, if I feel like it, though...

Alas. If only there were no "other."
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

SINsister wrote:Alas. If only there were no "other."
Without the external there wouldn't be the internal, and the same goes for the individual and the "other".
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Yeah...it'd be a void, pretty much.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

nick the stripper wrote:
I don’t know why you’re using the Von emoticon for that since Eldritch has on several occasions given a definition of himself as Kierkegaard meets Elvis, and there is a whole page on the TSOM website about why they think postmodernism is rubbish...
...which is curious in itself since Von's particular referential writing style and sampling of lyrics, lines of poetry and "stolen guitars" could be easily described as post-modernist, despite his modernist protestations.
canon docre
Overbomber

lazarus corporation wrote:
nick the stripper wrote:
I don’t know why you’re using the Von emoticon for that since Eldritch has on several occasions given a definition of himself as Kierkegaard meets Elvis, and there is a whole page on the TSOM website about why they think postmodernism is rubbish...
...which is curious in itself since Von's particular referential writing style and sampling of lyrics, lines of poetry and "stolen guitars" could be easily described as post-modernist, despite his modernist protestations.
Exactly my thoughts when reading this article on the homepage. :lol:

@SinSister: You present yourself like some sort of super-being. :P Are there any other *super-powers* in you we mortals need to be aware of?
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.