SERIOUS opinions please...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
psichonaut
Overbomber

Meat DOES taste nice. Sad but true.[/quote]
.....Continue to eat meat....
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
DeWinter
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Badlander wrote: You're missing the point : humans don't have long sharp teeth and claws any more because we don't need them. It's just evolution : we developed hunting and cooking techniques which were so efficient that there was no need for natural weapons any more. The human body changed accordingly. I guess if you lead a very sedentary life, then you can get away without meat. But I'm a sports guy and I need my dose of proteins, otherwise my whole body will just fall apart. And eating meat (cheese, milk, etc.) is still the best way to get those proteins. I do agree that vegetarianism can be good for your health to some extent, but I also know that veggies generally aren't very sharp. They may be fit but they're not sharp.
Well, you're kind of missing mine, we not only don't have fangs and claws, we never had them, if our closest genetic relation, the chimp, is anything to go by. We developed the tools to kill in order to eat meat, which does rather indicate it isn't something that comes naturally to us. Instinct also, a child put in a room with a lamb and an apple will eat the apple and play with the lamb, and any young carniverous animal vice-versa. Eating meat is part of our culture and upbringing, not part of our nature or biology.
You're spot on about vegetarians not having the energy that a meat-eater has though, both myself and my veggie girlfriend have the energy of sloths.
But I would ask if you think a creature dying quite horribly in pain is worth it? Neither the world nor your life will come to an end if you stop doing what you do.

Still, I'm a biased viewpoint. I freely admit to liking animals a lot more than I like people! Im not sure the most sensible pro-meat argument will sway me!
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

a child put in a room with a lamb and an apple will eat the apple and play with the lamb
You've never been to Drumchapel have you? :wink: :lol:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

DeWinter wrote:we not only don't have fangs and claws, we never had them, if our closest genetic relation, the chimp, is anything to go by.
ORLY?
Chimpanzee to the left, human to the right.
DeWinter wrote:We developed the tools to kill in order to eat meat, which does rather indicate it isn't something that comes naturally to us.
I would tend to agree with that bit, with the slight caveat that although Chimpanzees have a largely omnivorous diet (young shoots, berries, fruit, insects, grubs) they will eat hunt and smaller mammals and birds from time to time.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
boudicca
Sister Midnight

weebleswobble wrote:
a child put in a room with a lamb and an apple will eat the apple and play with the lamb
You've never been to Drumchapel have you? :wink: :lol:
*splutter* :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
eotunun
Overbomber

Badlander wrote:
Eva wrote:Buying cultured seafood means I eat antibiotics, hormones and support the narrow cages etc.... :urff:
Not necessarily, not if you pick organic (hippy scum ;D) fish farms only. Same goes for all animals, for that matter. But then again, it's much more pricey and not everyone can afford it. :?
The problem is that most species of fish we like are carnivores themselves, and when they are kept at fish farms they get food that´s made of fish meal, made of fish that got *caught*..
As it I heard the farm fish is ecologically worse than caught fish, especially salmon and tuna from farms seem to have a devastating effect on the natural resources.
There is shadow under this red rock
9while9
Slight Overbomber
Location: Parts Unknown or Isle of Tonga (whichever you prefer).

Makes my mouth water.... :twisted:

I don't eat a ton of red meat though.
Sushi is my favorite food.

As far as humans not being meant to eat meat. :eek:
That's ludicrous! You can't build a powerful athletic body on
bean sprouts and soy.
:roll:
"An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why." - William Faulkner

-Me, I'm inspired by my DarkAngel.
scotty
Overbomber

9while9 wrote:Image
That looks like a custom Parker-Hale he's got, prolly a .270.........bloody Yanks and their .270's :roll: :lol:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
mh
Above the Chemist

9while9 wrote:As far as humans not being meant to eat meat. :eek:
bean sprouts and soy.
Some folks definition of "a powerful athletic body" is actually something that would be considered freakishly abnormal by most of the human race. I do know veggies who are actually quite fit (fit enough to run a marathon, for example) into their 40s. They must be doing something right...
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
9while9
Slight Overbomber

mh wrote:
bean sprouts and soy.
Some folks definition of "a powerful athletic body" is actually something that would be considered freakishly abnormal by most of the human race. I do know veggies who are actually quite fit (fit enough to run a marathon, for example) into their 40s. They must be doing something right...
I never said I was average...... :twisted:
Running a marathon in your 40's, no big deal.
Maybe in your 60's. My workouts would make ya beg for mercy. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
"An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why." - William Faulkner

Badlander
Overbomber

DeWinter wrote: Well, you're kind of missing mine, we not only don't have fangs and claws, we never had them, if our closest genetic relation, the chimp, is anything to go by. We developed the tools to kill in order to eat meat, which does rather indicate it isn't something that comes naturally to us.
You shouldn't compare us with chimps, you should compare our ancestors (before humans began using fire to cook meat) with chimps. All I'm saying is that the human body has changed tremendously since then. Anyway, almost nothing comes "naturally" to humans, since we're social animals with close to zero instinct (and I'm using the word "close" only as a precaution).
Instinct also, a child put in a room with a lamb and an apple will eat the apple and play with the lamb, and any young carniverous animal vice-versa. Eating meat is part of our culture and upbringing, not part of our nature or biology.

Again, humans have almost zero instinct, so I don't see what it proves. And even if eating meat doesn't come "naturally" to us, that doesn't mean we're not able to eat (we do have incisors and canine tooth after all) and digest meat. We are omnivores.
Still, I'm a biased viewpoint. I freely admit to liking animals a lot more than I like people! Im not sure the most sensible pro-meat argument will sway me!
At least you're honest about it ! :lol:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Debaser
Overbomber

DeWinter wrote:
a child put in a room with a lamb and an apple will eat the apple and play with the lamb,
And put a child in a room with an apple and a cooked burger.....it'll play with the apple.

It's hardly fair to compare an inanimate object with an animate one in your analogy.

I eat meat, I buy my meat from my friend who grows sheep and pigs and cows. I know where they've been, I know where they go, I know what they eat. and I know where they go to die and who does it. But I also buy shrink wrapped stuff from Terry Tesco.

I never cover my food with crap - sauces/schmauces. I like to taste the meat. I always cook it rare and always order 'blue' when out (because they can't cook rare properly)

In fact the best blue steak I've had in ages was at a Vegan/Veggie's wedding ;)

To SG - if your are really wrestling with your concious about meat and how it is dealt with - go direct to a small holder/farmer, who can show you how the animal lives and where he takes it to be (well there's no other word really) slaughtered. It might make your decsion a little easier.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
James Blast
Banned

a voice of reason, at last
Ness, I thankee, nay, I salute you!

my avatar isn't meant to be provocative, it was something me and ARF! had on the go, so please relax. I seem to be pissing off a lot of people of recent, no offence is meant. :oops: ;D :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
boudicca
Sister Midnight

mh wrote:
bean sprouts and soy.
HEAR HEAR! x a million

Bodybuilders just cart around a lot of waste, excess muscle, none of it necessary to perform the tasks of even the most active life... it's for that very reason that they have to subject their body to the loads and "reps" they do in the gym. You will not build massive "pecs" through even large amounts of natural and healthy activity, though you will be fit as fcuk, which IMO is a hell of a lot better than having pointless man-muscle-boobs. Check out guys who work active jobs 12 hours a day and they don't cart all that "beef" about - they couldn't, it would weigh them down. Bodybuilders' physiques are made for optimum homoerotic posing, not optimum health or fitness.

Rant over. COME ON THE SKINNY LADS! ;D

Regarding the original issue, I have a million opinions about it all, so many I really just couldn't be arsed to join in...

Suffice to say - Don't eat it if you couldn't bear to see it being killed, and whether you go veggie or not, it is a good idea to have some consciousness of where the stuff you're putting in your mouth actually comes from. We have become utterly divorced from what we are actually consuming, and we'd probably do well to have the reality of it rammed down our throats a little more often to wake us up.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
9while9
Slight Overbomber

boudicca wrote:
mh wrote:
bean sprouts and soy.
HEAR HEAR! x a million

Bodybuilders just cart around a lot of waste, excess muscle, none of it necessary to perform the tasks of even the most active life... it's for that very reason that they have to subject their body to the loads and "reps" they do in the gym. You will not build massive "pecs" through even large amounts of natural and healthy activity, though you will be fit as fcuk, which IMO is a hell of a lot better than having pointless man-muscle-boobs. Check out guys who work active jobs 12 hours a day and they don't cart all that "beef" about - they couldn't, it would weigh them down. Bodybuilders' physiques are made for optimum homoerotic posing, not optimum health or fitness.

Rant over. COME ON THE SKINNY LADS! ;D

Regarding the original issue, I have a million opinions about it all, so many I really just couldn't be arsed to join in...

Suffice to say - Don't eat it if you couldn't bear to see it being killed, and whether you go veggie or not, it is a good idea to have some consciousness of where the stuff you're putting in your mouth actually comes from. We have become utterly divorced from what we are actually consuming, and we'd probably do well to have the reality of it rammed down our throats a little more often to wake us up.
Spoken like someone who has never worked a hard physical job..... :roll:

It's fine that you like guys who are average. I think the world would
be a pretty sad place if everyone liked the same thing. I respect people
who don't have the same likes as I. :D

But don't talk out your arse about doing a hard days work. I've out worked so many who have made such claims. I find hard work exhilarating, a definate physical high. :twisted:

meat is murder
Road Kill

@ Mrs RicheyJames; have you decided yet?
silentNate
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I was a veggie once and am a pescatarian now as I love the texture and taste of most fish and seafood. The thought of eating meat after all these years (about 18 at a guess) makes me feel ill though I have become aware that my wife sneaks off to the cafe for sausages. If I was the OP I'd give it a couple of weeks to allow my stomach to get used to the change in diet but I must point out that in modern society its easy to get cheap alternatives- any of the carnivores on this site would be easily fooled if I made them a hot dog or burger :P

As far as hypocracy goes I will 'fess up to having shot stuff in the past and plan to go shark fishing this year of next whilst have no problem preparing fish :oops:
smiscandlon
Overbomber

silentNate wrote:I have become aware that my wife sneaks off to the cafe for sausages.
I do hope that's not a euphemism, this is a family forum. :eek: :lol:
анархия
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

What's euphemism please? :eek:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
smiscandlon
Overbomber

MadameButterfly wrote:What's euphemism please? :eek:
The expression of an unpleasant or embarrassing notion by a more inoffensive substitute.

For example, saying sausages instead of big cocks.
анархия
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

smiscandlon wrote:
MadameButterfly wrote:What's euphemism please? :eek:
The expression of an unpleasant or embarrassing notion by a more inoffensive substitute.

For example, saying sausages instead of big cocks.
Oh yes of course, the mild words substituted for improper or blunt ones.

I think I just read that as euphonium, you see.

Ah, and now I see dear father how the mind works on the erm, sausage subject at hand.
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Hehehe. Snausages! Sneaking off, indeed. :twisted:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry: