Who is sensitive about TSOM being labelled a 'goth' band?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
paul
Overbomber

There's a label called "cockrock", perhaps we can add "cockgoth" to the list of labels ... or "darkcock" :lol:
Pursued By Trees
Road Kill

Hmmm ... the age thing could well have a lot to do with how you personally perceive the Sisters at the time. Maybe you're more likely to think of them as a goth band during this period if you yourself were a goth during the same period?

I'm wondering if there was much of a scene prior to the Sisters ... Juju didn't come out until 1981 ... admittedly Bauhaus and others were already around ... but I'm not sure that it was quite a 'scene' as such at that point.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is whether the goth audience existed prior to the SOM ... which ever came first, they certainly found each other soon enough.
I'm headed for the trees over there
If that's not a destination
I don't care
Badlander
Overbomber

Pursued By Trees wrote: I'm wondering if there was much of a scene prior to the Sisters ... Juju didn't come out until 1981 ... admittedly Bauhaus and others were already around ... but I'm not sure that it was quite a 'scene' as such at that point.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is whether the goth audience existed prior to the SOM ... which ever came first, they certainly found each other soon enough.
The word you're looking for is... punk. Don't complicate it. :P
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

paul wrote:
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:New Wave is old goff for old people that still feel young.
... but look old :lol:
Speak for yourself, toots! :P ;) :lol:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Pursued By Trees wrote:Maybe you're more likely to think of them as a goth band during this period if you yourself were a goth during the same period?
I'd never even heard of "g*th" until I was labeled one in 1989 (with the prefix "dodgy" attached... ;) :lol:) by my Brit cousin's (then) best friend! Until then, I'd assumed that Siouxsie, Bauhaus, The Cure, et al. were all simply punk rockers who sounded/looked a bit more somber/ominous than the rest...
alice
Amphetamine Filth

SINsister wrote:
I'd never even heard of "g*th" until I was labeled one in 1989 (with the prefix "dodgy" attached... ;) :lol:) by my Brit cousin's (then) best friend! Until then, I'd assumed that Siouxsie, Bauhaus, The Cure, et al. were all simply punk rockers who sounded/looked a bit more somber/ominous than the rest...
I used to be called New Wave, till one day i got labeled goth. I, on the other hand hadn't changed a bit....
Strange, but suddenly "goth" got dodgy connotations....more people calling it was a daft thing, specially metallers, and guys into hardcore, as far as i can recall.....
However I do not understand all the stuff that comes under "goth", these days....
Elvis meets Kierkegaard
alice
Amphetamine Filth

paul wrote:There's a label called "cockrock", perhaps we can add "cockgoth" to the list of labels ... or "darkcock" :lol:
A large grin is starting to build on my face, as my mind is slowly, but surely wandering towards......
Elvis meets Kierkegaard
White Like Jesus
Road Kill

alice wrote:
SINsister wrote:
I used to be called New Wave, till one day i got labeled goth. I, on the other hand hadn't changed a bit....
Strange, but suddenly "goth" got dodgy connotations....more people calling it was a daft thing, specially metallers, and guys into hardcore, as far as i can recall.....
However I do not understand all the stuff that comes under "goth", these days....
It's those hybrid bands. Cradle Of Filth is considered 'too goth' by a lot of black metallers, and they're 'too metal' for the oldschool goth crowd. Can I interpret what you wrote to mean that since you don't like the changes goth music has gone through over the years (in terms of a wider variety of bands being included in the umbrella) that it's an improper label? If you liked the music you'd have no problem with the label? Or is the issue strictly with proper identification? My guess is you like the oldschool goth music. :)
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

I'm past caring about all of this, myself. And labels suck, imho. :von:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

How "indie" of you. :lol:
Prescott
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Always thought of the Sisters as a New Wave band also myself.
"... because we're that kind of people."
White Like Jesus
Road Kill

SINsister wrote:I'm past caring about all of this, myself. And labels suck, imho. :von:
You did care enough to post that you didn't care. And 'labels suck' is another way of saying that you care about labels. 8)
sultan2075
Overbomber

Badlander wrote: The word you're looking for is... punk. Don't complicate it. :P
Yeah, that's really it, I think.

White Like Jesus wrote:
SINsister wrote:I'm past caring about all of this, myself. And labels suck, imho. :von:
You did care enough to post that you didn't care. And 'labels suck' is another way of saying that you care about labels. 8)
:eek:
You're righteously screwed now, new guy :D
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Nah, he's not. Like I said, I don't care. ;) :P
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Dark wrote:How "indie" of you. :lol:
It is? :eek: :lol: :roll:
White Like Jesus
Road Kill

sultan2075 wrote:
Badlander wrote: The word you're looking for is... punk. Don't complicate it. :P
Yeah, that's really it, I think.

White Like Jesus wrote:
You're righteously screwed now, new guy :D
Uh oh. This person is scary when angered?

Maybe I'm argumentative, but I like to think of it as a good-natured argumentative. (Maybe 'anal' is a better way of putting it)
White Like Jesus
Road Kill

Oh, okay. Now I see. She's the mod!
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

White Like Jesus wrote:Uh oh. This person is scary when angered?

LOL@ "this person"! :lol: That's "Ms. Mod, Your Hostess With The Mostest and Heartland Co-Founder" to you, good sir! ;) :kiss:

And nah, not really. I'm not "scary" when I'm angry. I'm just plain scary (and a hard-nosed, difficult bitch), is all. :lol: *Cough* :innocent: :von:
Silver_Owl
The Don

SINsister wrote:I'm just plain scary (and a hard-nosed, difficult bitch), is all. :lol: *Cough* :innocent: :von:
Naw!!!! you ain't. :lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
sultan2075
Overbomber

SINsister wrote: And nah, not really. I'm not "scary" when I'm angry. I'm just plain scary (and a hard-nosed, difficult bitch), is all. :lol: *Cough* :innocent: :von:
I'm not sure I believe any of that ;)
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Hom_Corleone wrote:
SINsister wrote:I'm just plain scary (and a hard-nosed, difficult bitch), is all. :lol: *Cough* :innocent: :von:
Naw!!!! you ain't. :lol:
How dare you.

Ahem. *Clears throat*

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR! :evil:

Scared ya, didn't I? ;D

:oops: :innocent: :|

*Sneaks away sheepishly*
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

sultan2075 wrote:
SINsister wrote: And nah, not really. I'm not "scary" when I'm angry. I'm just plain scary (and a hard-nosed, difficult bitch), is all. :lol: *Cough* :innocent: :von:
I'm not sure I believe any of that ;)
Hmm. I'm not sure whether to be annoyed or impressed...

:lol:
paul
Overbomber

I'm impressed ! ;-)
more-sedatives-pls
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Bueno... after this moment of tenderness, let's get back to the tracks here, shall we?

WERE the Sisters goff or not?

I think not.

Reason: AFAIK by the time "goff" was an officialy known word, twas the 90's and the Sisters wore green-and-pink T-shirts. By that time, however, the selfdeclared goffs were WAY past what the original wave/punk was all about, with their whole esoterian mombojumbo doing the macarena et tout consorts.

Whenever I see one of those esoterian mombojumbos doing the macarena et tout consorts, I think of Holy Mozes and kitty litter and thank the Lord that back in the days it was real.

There, I've said it. ;D
Immodium for the people
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Sister's were dark at one stage!

anyhoo goth is just a state of mind and this discussion could go on forever.

Sister's now are no longer goth so get over it.

Von sung deep meaning lyrics that attracted all kinds of labelled people and that's the thing that TSOM do whenever, with whoever.

Lucky them and lucky us. 8)

It's all ROCK 'n ROLL ain't it? :wink:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity