Sisters played Suikerrock

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Arrrgh!
Amphetamine Filth

Good lord, is that Von . . . singing?

My my, I haven't heard that in a very long time. Is it possible that giving up the fags has given him his voice back?

Those youtube clips sound great - the best I've heard them in a long time at any rate. . . .
Do I drive or am I driven?
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

lazarus corporation wrote:Sisterly Suikerrock YouTube findings, reposted in this thread for jollies:

Crash & Burn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIZSYWWsZmA
FaLaA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxHwsc4jXNU
Alice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO0aGqHWqJA
Lucretia / Capricorn : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJV2xhunep4
Temple of Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJLNolJcAbQ

Haven't spotted a Good Things clip yet...
They're good :notworthy: Am jealous! :lol:
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Short review as I'm still experiencing nothing but the bad things at 12.30 in the afternoon, but I am glad I went to Tienen after all.

OK, maybe we're accepting scraps here time and again as James said, but I can only see that objectively in a few coppola days because...

I saw one of their best performances yesterday! :notworthy:

Mind, I'm only into them since VT era, so the old baisturts here have something to add etc, but for the first times in many years, I saw a band on stage. A real band. Von actually communicating with Chris and Ben (ok, not much) and doing some kind of coordination that can only be seen in a rock'n'roll combo.

Only the lack of a bass player still makes it obvious.

Setlist was super, not one song that bored me or was out of place. OK, so I missed BURN again, but I made myself happy by playing my Nokia Burn ringtone after the gig, for a couple of people. ;D

Von is off the smokes, or a least trying to, and his voice ain't really super yet, but I found that it sounds a lot stronger already. My guess is that last years' extensive touring together with his smoking habit got him some serious damage and a big warning from his doctor. Hang in there Andrew!

Apart from some Macho Libres in front of the stage (we love Germans, Jürgen, but just not ALL of them :twisted:), the crowd was pretty fine.

Thanks to all I've met again, a big SORRY for dodging my duty as a driver due to heavy fatigue :| but:

- Debs, and Claire: BIG :kiss:

- The Planet that is Dave: nice meeting you for the first time! I hope those Tienen cobblestones that crashed into yer planet at one point didn't leave too much dents in the crust ;D

- Andrew S, not changed a bit, glad to see you again man :notworthy: watch out with The Gift in yer backpack ;)

- MOTZ first timer, too short man, too short :( aulde age is kicking in or so it seems, enjoy our wee Belgenlandje! :)

- The Belgian Field Researchers, and I'm gonna forget some: Zeno, Christophe, Koen, Stefke,... top guys! We need to come out less, in a non-sisters-related environment!

- Patje and lady: nice seeing you again as well! ;D

Special mention to ARF! who went to see another band and called me afterwards to say he had the time of his life. Well, so did we, apparently!

Thank you all, upwards and onwards.

EDIT: did I say SHORT review at the beginning? ;D

IZ off.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

I love those Belgian festivals. :notworthy: :notworthy:
So we arrived pretty early like 3.30 pm. Lots of Sisters' shirts in the public allready. After the gig all Sisters shirts were sold out. :eek:
Bit disappointing to see there was no 2008 shirt but hey, can't have everything. :wink:

After a very nice day and meeting new (like Pascal, Dave) and old (always great to meet you guys and girls) friends the Scabs were very good as a warm up.
I always get that special feeling when the intro starts. What a feeling that is. Excellent show and crowd. Belgians know how to appreciate class! :notworthy:
Could not believe my ears when Good Things :eek: started but yes....it was part of a nice setlist. IMO the sound was good, Andrews voice was great. They had a good time on stage. No cigarettes was a bit odd to see. :lol:

All in all it was a top day out. A day to remember. It ended very nicely with a nice drink in a nice atmosphere in a pub together with Elise and Joop.

I hope the ones who have to travel will have safe trips back home.
Did not get to meet Cardoman, Maureen and Bert but hey, there's always a next time in Belgium I guess.... :D
Last edited by Ozpat on 27 Jul 2008, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.
"as we walk on the floodland"
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

bobby wrote:Yesterday i was in Waregem for the Nephs...definitly the wrong choise ! :cry:

Setlist :
Shroud
Straight to the light
Penetration
Trees come down
Dawnrazor
The sequel
From the fire
Moonchild
Psychonaut
-----
Zoon III
Last exit for the lost
Definitely the right choice, Bobby. The band was on fire, the sound was really good and Carl always delivers. Hell, he even was more into it than at the Sheperd's Bush gigs, and those were strictly for Neph fans. It seems that whoever went to whichever gig, they both all got their money's worth to me.
christophe
Overbomber

Ahráyeph wrote:Definitely the right choice, Bobby. The band was on fire, the sound was really good and Carl always delivers. Hell, he even was more into it than at the Sheperd's Bush gigs, and those were strictly for Neph fans. It seems that whoever went to whichever gig, they both all got their money's worth to me.
if that is the case I want recordings of both shows :innocent:
Another Shade of You.
Shadow_Smile
Uw voeten stinken

buzz wrote:...so you were sleeping in the bass box the whole gig Shadow_Smile? Dream on - dont leave the box.
I love'd the gig,. but still,........ the audio was bad !

That does not say the band is BAD !!!

But if you claim the audio was " GOOD ",.... you're the one to dream on
I was quite impressed until I hit the floor,.....Isn’t that what friends are for ?
stefan moermans
Slight Overbomber

christophe wrote:
Ahráyeph wrote:Definitely the right choice, Bobby. The band was on fire, the sound was really good and Carl always delivers. Hell, he even was more into it than at the Sheperd's Bush gigs, and those were strictly for Neph fans. It seems that whoever went to whichever gig, they both all got their money's worth to me.
if that is the case I want recordings of both shows :innocent:
seconded :wink:
MUSICA È
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

A short report from the cynic and skeptic. Because you know you want to read it; those who are ready to leave the ship are the ones you have to convince. Here it goes.

At first my compliments to Belgium / Tienen as the host. Zottegem was a friendly guy to me, but Suikerrock was so low-key and well behaved it almost made me cry. (Our special car lead us through the murky wastelands of small places such as Geel etc. before entering Tienen: Those sex motels, it was almost a Jambers edition!)

So, after entering the festival square near the church and restaurants (bloody better than being, say, on a rainy field with Korn at the main stage and the smell of patchouli), intro started.

Vision Thing started. Andrew sang. Andrew enjoyed. And that was the start of a gig that i enjoyed, the audience enjoyed; there was nothing pathetic about it and all the doubts and question marks were gone. Good Things on top.

See, i was in the back of the square, a lot distance between us and front stage: bloody fine stereo, dok could be louder sometimes, but hey. Dykes don't come for that. A friend of mine who was never into the Sisters and probably only knew a splinter of Alice, said: this is a very, very weird band. It is metal, it is irony, it is stadium rock but too avantgarde with that sober drum machine that Nine Inch Nails would refuse.

This was a cool gig from a cool band. Period. although you (and so do i) doubt about the 'state' of a festival like this compared to 'serious' bloody events like Lowlands, Reading, T in the park, Sziget etc. I don;t f**king care anymore. Maybe it has the same level as Jethro Tull in Stadtpark Tirol and we are all sad geeks; let it be. It is a pop band and it's fun.

You know what? I take back my mumbling in the past weeks. Sisters rule ok.
guns & cars & accidents
christophe
Overbomber

some pics. (stage, crowd, smoke) clicky

the movies I got are a bit shaky :urff: but have some good shots so I'll problably upload them anyway ( tomorrow)
Another Shade of You.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Preach, Sistah! :lol:

she's not even completely wrong, sorry, critics :|

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

christophe wrote:if that is the case I want recordings of both shows :innocent:
Good news then : Scardy recorded the Neph gig. Will be up on DR some time this week, I s'pose.
stefan moermans
Slight Overbomber

christophe wrote:some pics. (stage, crowd, smoke) clicky

the movies I got are a bit shaky :urff: but have some good shots so I'll problably upload them anyway ( tomorrow)
really nice done :notworthy:
MUSICA È
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

And may I take the opportunity to say it was great to hang out with Iz, Z and Debs again. It's always a great reminder of the HL effect and such get togethers keep me from becoming a recluse grumpy baisturt! :notworthy: Sorry I couldn't make it to the afterparty, but I returned later from the Neph gig than planned and I was more tired than I had planned, for some reason... ;D
And a special mention to Laurent and his friends dropping in for a visit. Ever see your label boss turn up for a drink? Well, I did. Ok, the drinks were free, so that may have had something to do with it. ;D Kidding! Thanks for stopping by! :notworthy:
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

dinky daisy wrote:
You know what? I take back my mumbling in the past weeks. Sisters rule ok.
:D :notworthy:

Nice review D.D. :wink:
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

christophe wrote:some pics. (stage, crowd, smoke) clicky

Nice pics C.! :notworthy:
msm67
Amphetamine Filth

just got done looking at the pics & clips. all I can say is OMG! what a difference a week can make! perhaps :von: was just ill for the Portugal gig. his voice sounds awesome in the clips we saw from last nite, so perhaps he has given up the cigs. that would also account for the slight weight gain (common for people to gain some pounds when they quit). all in all he sounded & looked great. I would even venture to say he looked like he was happy to be there! now, he justs needs to get his ass on the road for a real tour!! :D as for the "unreleased" songs sounding more finely tuned....could they be playing them like a studio version would sound? one can only hope & dream! ah, but isn't that what being a Sisters fan is all about?
Anyway....glad all who attended got a great gig and had a top nite out!!
still so jealous! ;D
cardoman
Slight Overbomber

Ozpat wrote:I love those Belgian festivals. :notworthy: :notworthy:
So we arrived pretty early like 3.30 pm. Lots of Sisters' shirts in the public allready. After the gig all Sisters shirts were sold out. :eek:
Bit disappointing to see there was no 2008 shirt but hey, can't have everything. :wink:

After a very nice day and meeting new (like Pascal, Dave) and old (always great to meet you guys and girls) friends the Scabs were very good as a warm up.
I always get that special feeling when the intro starts. What a feeling that is. Excellent show and crowd. Belgians know how to appreciate class! :notworthy:
Could not believe my ears when Good Things :eek: started but yes....it was part of a nice setlist. IMO the sound was good, Andrews voice was great. They had a good time on stage. No cigarettes was a bit odd to see. :lol:

All in all it was a top day out. A day to remember. It ended very nicely with a nice drink in a nice atmosphere in a pub together with Elise and Joop.

I hope the ones who have to travel will have safe trips back home.
Did not get to meet Cardoman, Maureen and Bert but hey, there's always a next time in Belgium I guess.... :D
AMAZING SOM GIG!!!! Probably the best I have ever heard... Amazing Sisters, fine lightworks and great crowd too... Sorry we couldn't meet Patje, we arrived just around 23h00 (missed the scabs too) but there will be a time...
Was it Alice or our daughter Ellice???
stefan moermans
Slight Overbomber

next year headlining on werchter classic :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: let's bomb schueremans with mails :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :innocent: :innocent: ;D ;D :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
MUSICA È
Tidal
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I'm not sure how to interprete this move of the Sisters... is this a last attempt to come up with something decent, or are they actually doing finishing touches to the new stuff which means they would have the album done soon?
Not smoking, changing the setlist, doing covers again, doing a great gig, DOING GOOD THINGS :eek: ... that's a statement.
It's good to be back
cardoman
Slight Overbomber

Tidal wrote:I'm not sure how to interprete this move of the Sisters... is this a last attempt to come up with something decent, or are they actually doing finishing touches to the new stuff which means they would have the album done soon?
Not smoking, changing the setlist, doing covers again, doing a great gig, DOING GOOD THINGS :eek: ... that's a statement.
Not to be negative Tidal, maybe this very great gig was their very last gig, who knows???? Hopefully not :cry:

However, how they supported the girls in Belgium, they don't in any other country...
Was it Alice or our daughter Ellice???
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

cardoman wrote:
Tidal wrote:I'm not sure how to interprete this move of the Sisters... is this a last attempt to come up with something decent, or are they actually doing finishing touches to the new stuff which means they would have the album done soon?
Not to be negative Tidal, maybe it was their very last gig, who knows???? :cry:
Maybe Von just decided to give up the fags and sing a few old songs, and there was absolutely no hidden meaning?
Last edited by lazarus corporation on 27 Jul 2008, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
mh
Above the Chemist

(Puts cynical hat on)
Says a lot about the state of the band when the most exciting development in 2008 is the revival of a song that was abandoned in 1982.
(Takes cynical hat off)

GOOD THINGS! :notworthy:

I'm so jealous, wishing I was there!
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Arrrgh!
Amphetamine Filth

I'm not sure how to interprete this move of the Sisters... is this a last attempt to come up with something decent, or are they actually doing finishing touches to the new stuff which means they would have the album done soon?
Now, I'm sorry to be cruel, but do you really think that's likely?

I'd love to think it might happen, but anyone at this stage who actually thinks that an album might appear is just delusional. Really.

It's nice they did a good gig, and played two out-of-the-ordinary songs, but that's all they did. For most bands, that's not even all that unusual.
Do I drive or am I driven?
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

Arrrgh! wrote:
Now, I'm sorry to be cruel, but do you really think that's likely?

I'd love to think it might happen, but anyone at this stage who actually thinks that an album might appear is just delusional. Really.

It's nice they did a good gig, and played two out-of-the-ordinary songs, but that's all they did. For most bands, that's not even all that unusual.
That is true. Totally. But the gig rocked. Everybody's fine.
guns & cars & accidents